IGNORED

Thirty-one? Like Avon, but with purses.

Nora509

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a party a couple weeks ago and I was actually looking forward to it since I needed a new purse. The Christian thing was heavily emphasized, the consultant kept telling us about how she prayed to God to help her, etc. When she passed around the bags for us to look at, I noticed they were very cheaply made. As someone else said, I could get a nicer one on Etsy if I was inclined. I asked her where the bags were made and she hemmed and hawed before she admitted they were made in China. She then explained that it was for the best because the factory owner had always wanted to own a factory and 31 Bags made it possible for him!!! (I held my tongue and didn't say that I had always wanted one too.) And the poor Chinese people needed jobs (again, I didn't say anything about all the Americans out of work) and the kicker...some of the Chinese workers had become Christian because of working for 31 Bags!!! I nodded politely but I really should have asked if there was something wrong with not being a Christian. I'm an atheist myself and I was completely turned off from 31 Bags and their cheap @ss purses.

Another annoying factor, she seemed geared towards stay a home moms (I work full time) that apparently drag a ton of stuff around with them all day. Even when my kids were tiny, I didn't need bags that big. I'm not sure what people are carrying around. While volunteering at the school book fair this week I did notice some mom carting around this huge wireframed thing from 31 Bags, it was hideous.

If you google '31 Bags reviews' you'll see a ton of people hate the company because of how they treat their customers.

Some ladies and I are buying to help out a friend who is a -- wait for it -- Jehovah's Witness!!!! :lol:

I actually anticipate getting some of the items, as one of my Juniors has a bag and thinks they're very well made. I've told yet another Jr. that her Christmas present (love the irony? ;) JW's don't celebrate Christmas) is in the 31 catalog and she's quite pleased.

So there you go, there's a market for everything.

My sense of relief is that the friend in need probably isn't going to pursue the "career" past this sale. But she's a good egg, hasn't asked me for anything in 25 years, and I'm not going to refuse her request.

And yes, I could just give her a gift of money. But that isn't what she's asked for, and to give her money, instead, seems patronizing to me.

So, ok, my point-counterpoint is finsihed. ("Mamajunebug, you ignorant sl*t!") :D

I'm with Apple, I get one decent bag and it lasts forever. I ended up getting an all leather bag by 'The Sak' at buy.com for around $45 and I love it.

Some ladies and I are buying to help out a friend who is a -- wait for it -- Jehovah's Witness!!!! :lol:

I actually anticipate getting some of the items, as one of my Juniors has a bag and thinks they're very well made. I've told yet another Jr. that her Christmas present (love the irony? ;) JW's don't celebrate Christmas) is in the 31 catalog and she's quite pleased.

My sense of relief is that the friend in need probably isn't going to pursue the "career" past this sale. But she's a good egg, hasn't asked me for anything in 25 years, and I'm not going to refuse her request.

And yes, I could just give her a gift of money. But that isn't what she's asked for, and to give her money, instead, seems patronizing to me.

So, ok, my point-counterpoint is finsihed. ("Mamajunebug, you ignorant sl*t!") :D

Oh no, I don't think that. You, of course, have the right to spend your own money as you choose.

I will, however, say that I have been caught with that pitch for Tupperware (I actually like and use certain items), Longaberger (ditto- I actually REALLY like some Longaberger), Mary Kay (HATE), Pampered Chef (some good stuff, lots of crap), Avon, Home Interiors (hate worse than Mary Kay- are they still in business?), Candle something... actually I'm sure that there are more.

I hate the whole MLM, home-party-sales-pressure-do-it-for-me-I'm your friend-relative-coworker-whatever thing. If somebody wants to pass around a book-party-no-pressure-if-you-are-interested in a piece of Longaberger or Tupperware or Pampered Chef (etc) I'm OK with that. Otherwise, leave me out.

Just checked out the first few pages, that was all I could take. Cheap looking junk, you could get the same kind of stuff at TJ Maxx for way less money and better quality. To me it looks like they are trying to appeal to the middle aged mom crowd with the "look at me, I am a cool and hip mom. See how stylish I am with all my matching,cutest junk!"

I have no problem bringing my kids lunch in an empty wal-mart bag if that is the first thing I grab. I AM a cool and hip mom so I don't need fancy bags to prove it. :)

This. I was thinking the same thing too when I was looking through the catalogs.

Oh no, I don't think that. You, of course, have the right to spend your own money as you choose.

I will, however, say that I have been caught with that pitch for Tupperware (I actually like and use certain items), Longaberger (ditto- I actually REALLY like some Longaberger), Mary Kay (HATE), Pampered Chef (some good stuff, lots of crap), Avon, Home Interiors (hate worse than Mary Kay- are they still in business?), Candle something... actually I'm sure that there are more.

I hate the whole MLM, home-party-sales-pressure-do-it-for-me-I'm your friend-relative-coworker-whatever thing. If somebody wants to pass around a book-party-no-pressure-if-you-are-interested in a piece of Longaberger or Tupperware or Pampered Chef (etc) I'm OK with that. Otherwise, leave me out.

Home Interiors filed for bankruptcy in 2008. Back when I was in high school in the early 00's a mom used to buy stuff from a Home Interiors rep who worked part time at the same school as my mom. I thought the stuff she bought was crap, but I think she did it mainly because she felt sorry for the woman who was the rep. This woman was in her 60's at the time and her husband was disabled and that was part of the reason she worked part time at the school.

Yeah, it's like that for me, too. :| It makes me think about women and education and their preparedness for the workplace and all kinds of things that makes patriarchials stick their fingers in their ears and go "la-la-la-I-don't-hear-you!"

:| If my JW friend had a better education, she might be earning better money. As is, she is in her 50s and family crises have left her as sole breadwinner for a household that's been drained, generally. If JW had gone to college, become - say - an engineer, would things be better? She herself might have been laid off. Or any number of other unpleasant things might have happened to land her and Mr. JW in their current predicament.

And her job, benefits and pension/401k are reasonably secure. Her situation could be far worse.

But that of course leads me to the sitches of those who are in direr need. Who have been denied education, who have been pressured to be QF. 31, P.Chef (hate their stuff)(and teh founder is Lutheran :cry: ) and others only make money for you when others start making money for you.

.....I begin to second-guess myself for having ordered. Like buying an addict a fix rather than driving him to rehab. Augh. Deed's done.

I do appreciate OP having posted this. And I do want to do soemthing nice, in near future for JW that will go ALL to her and the mister. Any ideas????? :?:

It sounds like a wonderful thing that you are doing for a friend. I always buy these type of items for my friends. Some of them need help.

I got addicted, for a short while, to Pampered Chef. Sadly, I spent money and realized later that the material wasn't really that great. It isn't bad, just not great. Most of the items aren't worth the money. I've been to so many of these parties and listened to so many women telling me how great and wonderful these items are that I'm a bit numb to it.

That's ok, MJB, I bought one too. Like I said, I thought they were cute but I found my skirt purse to be very cheaply made so it's listed on ebay right now. I've used Dooney and Bourke or occasionally Coach for at least 12 years now, I have a small collection. I will say, they last forever! My D&B wallet was finally retired last month after 5+ years of service. It still looks new, I was just tired of it.

Wanted to add that my Pampered Chef heat resistant spatula things (whatever they are called) cracked and fell apart. My nice Le Creuset heat resistant spatulas are still kickin after many years (and they were less expensive!).

haveapicniclife, a really nice nieghbor lady was on hard times and sponsored a PC party. Oh, she and another neighbor-friend went ON and on and on about how the $35 ($40?) lettuce washer was the ONLY one to have. Look, it works when you pump it! Look, it stops! Ooooooo.....

I politely resisted and the very next day, found a brand-new salad spinner at Goodwill. Not a PC, but adorable -- the lid and the basket are in LIttle-Tykes colors of red, yellow and blue. I'm not a salad fan but I smile everytime I make one, thanks to my Playskool-themed salad spinner.

I did buy two PC spoon rests because I figured a ceramic bowl and a two-piece metal stand wouldn't break. Gave one as a gift. The one I use isn't that handy, really, for most of the things I use to stir.

20-odd years ago, I bought a PC oven mitt rated to 500 degrees F. I still use it. I ordered one a few years ago and it was so oversized it would've presented a total hazard to try to use it. Returning it was a retailing nightmare. I doubt I'd buy PC at a rummage sale. Never again for retail price.

Honestly, if people would just stop buying these things from friends because they feel sorry for them, these multi-level marketing schemes wouldn't be around any more. I refuse to buy from anyone hawking Mary Kay or 31 Bags or whatever it is. In the long-run, it's a poor investment of my friend/acquaintance's time and money and I do not want to support that.

Honestly, if people would just stop buying these things from friends because they feel sorry for them, these multi-level marketing schemes wouldn't be around any more. I refuse to buy from anyone hawking Mary Kay or 31 Bags or whatever it is. In the long-run, it's a poor investment of my friend/acquaintance's time and money and I do not want to support that.

....i'm gonna confess something here. I lied upthread, I haven't ordered anything yet. And JW told me she's very discouraged about the whole thing.

So I'm wondering .... should I tell her, "If you're not going to pursue this as a source of income, can I just please give you a gift of whatever you would've made off my and my friends' purchases?" -- and then give her that money?

I mean, if she's not going to pursue MLM, what's the point of asking my big-hearted friends to buy stuff they really don't need? Other than my one Junior, the other 3 ladies who agreed to order are all in our 60s. We need new bags like Doug Phillips needs new cosplay suits.

So, two Q's, here:

1. About how much would she realize from, oh, say, $300 total sales?

and

2. Should I just gift her wtih that $ amount?

I'll seriously be awaiting your information and opinions, dudettes! Thanks!!!!!!

Me too! I have so many co-workers who are involved with these things it drives me crazy. Their time would be better spent at a second part time job, or in my workplace, picking up extra hours. Wildtree and Norwex crap. Add that to the pile of Scentsy samples, PartyLite catalogs, and MaryKay catalogs and my breakroom is a constant MLM nightmare for me.

Drive.me.crazy.

I hate the sales pitch, the demos, and the idea that "just a few hours a week and you'll be rolling in cash" If that was true, wouldn't all business owners have that going on?

....i'm gonna confess something here. I lied upthread, I haven't ordered anything yet. And JW told me she's very discouraged about the whole thing.

So I'm wondering .... should I tell her, "If you're not going to pursue this as a source of income, can I just please give you a gift of whatever you would've made off my and my friends' purchases?" -- and then give her that money?

I mean, if she's not going to pursue MLM, what's the point of asking my big-hearted friends to buy stuff they really don't need? Other than my one Junior, the other 3 ladies who agreed to order are all in our 60s. We need new bags like Doug Phillips needs new cosplay suits.

So, two Q's, here:

and

I'll seriously be awaiting your information and opinions, dudettes! Thanks!!!!!!

Most sales consultants take home about 1/2 the retail cost. However, they also may have had their start up costs, which vary quite a bit. They may also have already put MORE money into samples, catalogs, business cards, cases to carry all that crap with, etc, etc, etc.

I'd say $50 would be very generous, and kind.

There's a lot of info on these MLM's here (http://www.pinktruth.com/board/index.php), MamaJunebug. I would imagine someone there could give you specific answers as to how much your friend is making/losing with her venture. I've never been involved in any kind of MLM, but I do enjoy reading the Pink Truth boards. You really see what kind of scam these things are by perusing them.

When my friend was using Pampered Chef, she had to buy a lot of items herself. The woman over her explained to us that on her taxes, she made no profit. She said this was good because it meant that she didn't have to pay taxes on her business.

When I pressed her if she made actual profit after she deducted for the product she bought and the gas used to go to one house to the next, I couldn't get a straight answer. It sounded like every penny she earned was put back into Pampered Chef and she'd been selling it a long time.

Never heard of this until now.

My style is a (single) high-quality leather bag (currently a black Coach purchased on the clearance rack at the outlet), carried until it is worn enough that I choose to replace it with its successor. I can carry Coach and still spend a fraction of what many people spend on crap bags. But to each her own...

My style is as many shoes and Coach bags that can fit into a closet. I'm just being honest here. lol

Guest Anonymous

I don't think I understand why "Jehovah's Witness" was preceeded by a "wait for it" in your first sentence.... is there a reason that I am missing why it is particularly funny that a JW would run an MLM business? Don't many JWs see themselves of part of the broader Christian church? (I know that mainstream Christians may not hold this to be so, but I am trying to look at this from her perspective).

So, two Q's, here:

and

What is your motivation for 'helping her out' by buying a bag in the first place? Has she confided in you that she is in financial difficulty and asked you to help? From the way you have written about the idea of gifting her the profit she would have made off you and your friends, it looks like you have already rounded up a group of ladies to help her out for whatever reason? Does she know about that plan?

I think that what to do next depends entirely on what you know about her personality and the extent of your relationship with this person.

Personally, I'd be really mortified if I knew someone was buying something they didn't want, in order to help me out. I'd be super-super sensitive and possibly a little annoyed if I thought there was a 'Christian' agenda behind it. Please forgive me if I am wrong, but my 'evangelism opportunity' radar was pinged a little from the issue you have made of her being a JW.

Other people, of course, might be much more more grateful and accepting than I am! Maybe she is the sort of person you could speak frankly with and offer her some cash to help her get by, without really saying any more about the bags which you seem clearly not to want now?

So, two Q's, here:

and

I'll second, STRONGLY, seeing if you can get her to read pinktruth.com--if nothing else, she can read the information about how not to get sucked into startup costs she wont make back ('frontloading':

http://www.pinktruth.com/2008/08/the-re ... of-income/

this is also good: http://www.sequenceinc.com/fraudfiles/2 ... e-economy/

REcently my facebook has been bombarded with college friends, fundie friends, HS friends, etc trying to sell me norwex, avon, usborne books, etc. The market is saturated. This friend should be thinking hard abomut how much $/hour she's actually making--because if she makes $40 for setting up everything, hosting a 'party' and making 2 sales...well, it's probably $5/hour and she could do better filling out surveys online.

Hey, no criticism here. :-)

Me, neither. I've got a clearance coach in nearly every color from the outlet store. I just switch them in and out according to the season and they last forever. I've been carrying the same coach wallet for seven years and it is holding up great.

And this is just my personal taste, and maybe b/c I did have to carry actual diaper bags for so long, but I'm not interested in anything that looks remotely like a diaper bag, which pretty much excludes anything that is made of cloth/quilting. I know some people like that stuff, so no offense intended.

I just want to point out that I'd never heard of 31 before today. I read this topic and opened up an inventory from a claim I'm working on. There's a 31 purse on it. Thank goodness I don't quote anything MLM.

Also, I just don't get purses in general. I still haven't seen an expensive purse I actually liked either. My messenger bag, which is a brand name (Tom Bihn) suits me well enough, and I have a cheap dressy purse for when it isn't appropriate.

My favorite travel purse is from the Eddie Bauer outlet and I paid $14 for it. I've had it for 20 years and will be taking it on my Ireland trip next year - it looks like new.

When my friend was using Pampered Chef, she had to buy a lot of items herself. The woman over her explained to us that on her taxes, she made no profit. She said this was good because it meant that she didn't have to pay taxes on her business.

When I pressed her if she made actual profit after she deducted for the product she bought and the gas used to go to one house to the next, I couldn't get a straight answer. It sounded like every penny she earned was put back into Pampered Chef and she'd been selling it a long time.

Yeah - a lot of those MLM businesses really don't seem to work if you're just the consultant selling the stuff. The money comes when you recruit other consultants under you so that you get a cut of their sales. There is a Creative Memories scrapbooking consultant at my old fundie church and she very aggressively recruits younger women to be her next-level-down consultants because then she gets to suck in money off their sales, too. Because of some of the major employers in the area, we get a fair number of people rotating in and out of the area every 2-3 years or so, which gives this woman a fresh supply of new QF wives to recruit. I think of her as the vampire scrapbooker. :twisted:

Archived