IGNORED

Thirty-one? Like Avon, but with purses.

Nora509

In my area, Thirty-One has gotten HUGE! For those who don't know, they sell bags, purses, coolers, etc. with cute patterns and monogramming. It is set up like Avon, with parties and representatives. I had a suspicion from the company name that it was a Christian company, but today I got the catalog - wow. There are vignettes with female representatives telling thier story about finding Thirty-One. They all felt "led by the lord" and (after asking their husbands for permission, of course) are just thrilled to have a home-based business for Christ. This alone makes me very hesitant but I can help but wonder if there is something else behind it. Anyone know if Thirty-One is attached to anything fundie? Is it connected to Amway or something?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. I have a FB friend who has gone ape-shit nuts over 31. She posted the other day that she was having a "31TASTIC" day. I almost gagged...

The name of the company comes from Proverbs 31. From reading the profile, I don't think it's fundie but the founder is definitely Christian and perhaps a little fundie-lite. The 31 consultants I know are mainstream - most of the fundies I know sell homeschool supplies and scrapbooking materials, with a little bit of Mary Kay and Amway thrown in.

Here's a profile on it:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ccess.html

Well, I'd never heard of it, but here in conservative-central, it will just be a matter of time. So now I know to say, "Thanks, but no thanks".

And she can haul her 30,000 "consultants" to Atlanta next year. From Columbus, I say, "buh-bye".

Mary Kay is actually really Christian too. A friend was trying to hardsell my mother and she was like, "This is a Christian company." My mother said, "But I'm not Christian." And the friend said "But we can all agree on Christian values, right?" My mother said, "Like sending your toddlers marching off to war? Not so much."

That is the last time I let Mom tag along to a Mary Kay party hosted by my homeschooling friends.

I looked at the website and the handbags are very meh. Plus, they are like seventy bucks for a full sized purse. I'll take my luck with Goodwill. Right now I am carrying a Fendi that cost $6.

Ironically I listed my Thirty One purse on ebay today. I thought the skirt purses were cute since you can change the shirts to coordinate with your outfit. But it's all VERY cheaply made and not worth the money. I'm a bit of a purse snob too, so I didn't like using it. I specifically chose a consultant (who I found on facebook) that lived far away so I wouldn't be bombarded with "don't you want to host a party?" questions and all the pressure that goes with it. And I politely told her that's why I chose her. If you're into that type of handbag, Vera Bradley is much better quality.

They're so... girly. Do they only come in gray and pink? Bleh.

It looks like it's trying to appeal to very young women, but it's clearly not intended for us.

I have a $6 pleather POS from Dollar General that I like more than anything they've got.

Edit: They also come in brown, paisley, dotted, and floral. Big selection there :roll:

They're so... girly. Do they only come in gray and pink? Bleh.

It looks like it's trying to appeal to very young women, but it's clearly not intended for us.

I have a $6 pleather POS from Dollar General that I like more than anything they've got.

Edit: They also come in brown, paisley, dotted, and floral. Big selection there :roll:

My very sweet friend is into 31. I wanted to help her by buying an item but nothing in the catalog appealed to me. Like you said, it is all pretty girlie.

Never heard of this company so went to peruse their site. Those "examples" are really goofy!! A canvas bag that says "Patio Storage?" How is that practical? Some of the bags ARE cute but too pricey for what looks like less-than-amazing construction.

Two thoughts:

1) If I wanted a bag like that, I'd search on Etsy and get one that's better made and in my colors.

2) If Thirty-One (31) is set up like Mary Kay, we'll know soon when former Thirty-Oners start washing up because the system is rigged against them.

ETA 3) Their paisley is FUGLY!

I really REALLY dislike how so many of these things tie themselves w/ religion. It makes it harder for people to break out of the scams.

I know more than one person screwed over by MaryKay and would have been able to leave if they hadn't been convinced that this was 'from God'. I also know 2 people who had to leave churches because quitting "team of Destiny" got them in to much hot water from their pastor (who was their 'director' or whatever they call 'em).

(worthwhile reading that, obviously biased on the Mary Kay phenom, that FJers may already be familiar with [not breaking links because they're not fundie ]:

http://www.pinktruth.com/2010/09/lukewa ... our-flock/

http://www.pinktruth.com/2011/04/religi ... -mary-kay/

I have been invited to 6 31 parties. So far I have only gone to one. It was like expensive junk, so I bought nothing and left early. The food wasn't even good and that was the only reason I went. If you are going to have these things you should at least serve good food. There was a lot of pressure to buy things because you would be supporting Christians.

Ugh, one of my closest -not remotely fundie- friends has jumped on the bandwagon and is having a party next month. I want to support her, but at the same time, there is no way in hell I'm buying anything. I don't know if it's worse to skip the party, or go and not buy. I am not a huge purse person, and none of that crap is my style, esp for the price. I have a nice brown purse, a nice black purse, and a few fun, cheap bags from Target. This is really all I need/want.

My very sweet friend is into 31. I wanted to help her by buying an item but nothing in the catalog appealed to me. Like you said, it is all pretty girlie.

I actually like girlie styles, but this stuff doesn't really do it for me. I did get a tote once to support a friend (her husband had been laid off and I'm kind of a sucker) but I use it rarely. In terms of direct sale companies, I get much more tempted by Pampered Chef.

On the website it says "Proverbs 31 bags." I'm assuming that's the same thing that y'all are talking about, right? Nora, it seems kinda fishy that they'd leave out the "Proverbs" part of the name when telling you about the product. Almost like a bait and switch, but not quite.

my BFF's pal sells these, and she's nowhere near fundie. she's a hard-partying, sailor-mouthed brat. I had no idea their tie-in was biblical. hm. i did buy a "cindy" bag at 50% off, tagging onto another party's proceeds somehow. It's quilted brown with my monogram, and i like it pretty well...it holds a ton of crap, which i need with two young children. I NEVER woulda paid more than half price for it, though. at the full $70, it's a complete rip off. At $35, it's satisfactory.

3057.jpg

i agree about etsy, though. i have several etsy purses, and they are all beautiful, just my style, and well-made, for the price.

eta: i AM a christian, and a regular church-goer, but using a christian tie-in to marketing ticks me off. Gah...there are yellow pages ads with the fish on them...there are even Christian Business Yellow Page Books around here now. It's just so squicky, and i can't help but feel that Jesus would be hella annoyed. In fact, seeing a fish on a freaking yellow page ad is enough to make me NOT use that company.

Just checked out the first few pages, that was all I could take. Cheap looking junk, you could get the same kind of stuff at TJ Maxx for way less money and better quality. To me it looks like they are trying to appeal to the middle aged mom crowd with the "look at me, I am a cool and hip mom. See how stylish I am with all my matching,cutest junk!"

I have no problem bringing my kids lunch in an empty wal-mart bag if that is the first thing I grab. I AM a cool and hip mom so I don't need fancy bags to prove it. :)

Never heard of this until now.

My style is a (single) high-quality leather bag (currently a black Coach purchased on the clearance rack at the outlet), carried until it is worn enough that I choose to replace it with its successor. I can carry Coach and still spend a fraction of what many people spend on crap bags. But to each her own...

Archived