IGNORED

Maxwells 59: On the Road Again

Coconut Flan

Just now, Coconut Flan said:

Could she possibly be there for the summer and trying for a teaching position in the fall?  

I don't recall that she was an education major?

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:02 AM, kpmom said:

That was very helpful, @Pammy

Do you think an undergraduate from ABC or your college would be able to get into a graduate program at a non- religious school?  In other words, would those schools honor the type of accreditation that ABC and your school has?

I would say that a bachelor's degree from and ABHE school might or might not be acceptable to certain graduate programs at non-religious schools.

Some graduate programs have specific prerequisites -- maybe a math program would expect specifically a math undergraduate degree; or something in the sciences would accept students with a bachelor's in various sciences but not, say, drama. Other graduate programs are pretty open that 'any successful bachelors' is sufficient (because they are basically only looking for proof that the student can be a successful student).

My guess is that a graduate program of the "any bachelor's" variety would find an ABHE accredited student acceptable, but those with any kind of specific expectations would probably not. It might also depend on where the ABHE school is located. (My school has to adhere to provincial regulations in order to be a degree-granting institution in my province, and other schools in my province would be able to place some trust in that.) Another factor might be the attitude of the school's enrolment policies towards religious higher education -- schools in cultures that consider religion a legitimate scholarly topic might be more open than schools in cultures that consider religion a foolish superstition. A school having previous experience of ABHE-graduate students might also help.

So, in short, my answer to a potential student would be: "Maybe, but don't count on it." -- I'd encourage them to look into the policies of the institution that they'd like to attend next: before committing 4+ years of their life to an ABHE school.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I don't recall that she was an education major?

I think she went for missions.  Sam said in the church podcast that he wasn't going to stay at that church.  Hopefully Anna is just saving some money and will leave when the opportunity arises.  My guess is that she will go with Mary to another country for missions work.  From the titus2 blog...  "The Lord brought Anna and Mary to Bible college this year (at our pastor’s recommendation) to become better equipped for ministry. It’s an exciting season for them as they have this opportunity to learn an incredible amount about the Bible and important tools for ministry/missions – where they want to end up." 

• Upvote 6

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I has a sadz about this. 😭 😱

Anna is probably living at the mothership, once again under Stevehovah's ironfisted control, her chances of having a life of her own -- away from Stevehovah and Terified -- are now nil. She'll be the unmarried daughter taking care of the elderly parents and the go-to, on-call babysitter for all the grandchildren.

Dear Rufus, please please please let Sarah convince Anna that moving into her own apt. and looking online for someone to date can work out really really really well. Please make sure Chelsy helps with this.

We don't know she is living with Steve and Teri. It is not a strong assumption that she is.

When Sarah moved out, she was working for her brothers' businesses. From the blog announcement in Sept 2021 (link).

The Lord has led Sarah to move into her own home (just this past Saturday), wanting to experience life and ministry in that environment. She also feels it is time to let go of the blog and running the business portion of Titus2. She works full-time for her brothers’ businesses and has become very involved in the life and ministry at our church.

So Anna is working for her brothers, just like Sarah. I think she moved out like Sarah. I would be very surprised if she didn't try on-line dating like Sarah. Obviously she knows Sarah got married and it has worked out for her.

If Chelsy wants to help someone, maybe she could help her own sister Elizabeth. It would be nice for Elizabeth to go to ABC. Right now, she seems unhappy on social media and like she could use something to do.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Nathan had a lunch meeting.  Don't get sad yet.  I bet it's only temporary and she will do missions.  435963276_791695039694530_4546494907163220667_n.thumb.jpg.0212df7b0fc5d06b2a51b7dcfbde05fc.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 9:02 AM, kpmom said:

Do you think an undergraduate from ABC or your college would be able to get into a graduate program at a non- religious school?  In other words, would those schools honor the type of accreditation that ABC and your school has?

ABC is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. This regional accreditation means the school has a legitimate degree. 

At almost all legitimate (fully accredited) graduate programs you will need to have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school and then also take entrance exams. For medical school you take the MCAT. For Law School, the LSAT, for many other disciplines the GRE. 

ABC is not a prestigious institution,  nor does it have a rigorous academic program, but it would meet the minimum requirements for applying to most fully accredited institutions of higher learning whether public or private. 

Their ABHE accreditation is irrelevant, except to other religious schools. 

I help many homeschoolers go to college. I am able to provide state testing and I am willing to do math/science evaluations and write recommendation letters. 

For the Fundie families there is often a great deal of tension between a parental desire for a restrictive religious school and the desire of the student to get an education which will allow them economic and personal freedom. 

I am thankful for places like ABC which have gone the extra mile to become regionally accredited as well as having a religious accreditation. They provide an opportunity for young people, like the Maxwell girls, to get a degree that their parents will accept and/or support. 

They aren’t the kinds of places I attended, nor where I sent my kids, but they are INFINITELY better than the shady places Phillip Rodrigues has been shuttling off to under the guise of “Bible College.”

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Nathan had a lunch meeting.  Don't get sad yet.  I bet it's only temporary and she will do missions.  435963276_791695039694530_4546494907163220667_n.thumb.jpg.0212df7b0fc5d06b2a51b7dcfbde05fc.jpg

She also looks happy, and is showing some collarbone.  

• Upvote 18

Just now, Fun-Dee said:

She also looks happy, and is showing some collarbone

This is the only part of my daily life where I get genuinely excited that a woman’s collarbone is visible. 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 8

Why doesn't Anna have a lunch? Did she merely order for the guys and bring it to the meeting room? I hope she got to eat! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Why doesn't Anna have a lunch? Did she merely order for the guys and bring it to the meeting room? I hope she got to eat! 

There is a take-out container of food behind the green bag in front of her on the table, that may be her lunch.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

7 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

There is a take-out container of food behind the green bag in front of her on the table, that may be her lunch.

I'm also happy she's working/eating with guys who aren't related to her.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

She has to be in her own place right? She can’t go back to living at home with Steve and Teri after living on her own. Just imagine how miserable it would be to be the only adult child left in that house of misery. I hope she has an apartment with a friend and they have an active social life. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

Good to see that Nathan and Anna are working with no related people. Steven was ab.so.lu.te.ly against it.

• Upvote 13

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Good to see that Nathan and Anna are working with no related people. Steven was ab.so.lu.te.ly against it.

Not in a long time. SwiftOtter has many employees who aren't family. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Not in a long time. SwiftOtter has many employees who aren't family. 

Maybe Anna could meet a not-so-fundie guy working there. Maybe.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 1

I wouldn't generally be hoping for someone to meet a future spouse at work but these are the Maxwells.  Anna's best chance of not taking care of Steve and Teri in their old age is to be married.  Any single Maxwell female is in danger of being summoned back home to keep things running and to be a permanent caretaker.

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Xan said:

I wouldn't generally be hoping for someone to meet a future spouse at work but these are the Maxwells.  Anna's best chance of not taking care of Steve and Teri in their old age is to be married.  AnyEx single Maxwell female is in danger of being summoned back home to keep things running and to be a permanent caretaker.

Except that they have Nathan and Melanie right there!  And they have grandchildren to help, some of whom are older.

I think Anna probably wants to get married. I hope if she wants to she will, but I also hope that she tries to find someone who's a good fit.  There's no reason to rush into the first marriage she can find. 

Marriage might help and it might create more problems. She could marry someone like her father or worse.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

She also looks happy, and is showing some collarbone.  

Such a nice photo of Anna. I hope she finds a partner and has a family. Of all the M girls, she seemed the most comfortable with kids and people in general. I hope Steve has planned for his own old age care. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

Maybe Anna is just living a normal life today? [I so hope] Her brother rented an apartment for a while--maybe she is?

To address the "could she get into a graduate program" In the USA there are now all kinds of open admission  programs even for a Ph.d. She can go. Can she go to an IVY? No, but almost no one in the USA does. To be accredited her school is evaluated by administrators, professors, and instructors from other colleges on behalf of the accrediting organization. Every duck has to be in the row. Those who constantly belittle religious schools might be a bit surprised by how much students actually do work and not because of poor prep. Obviously, there are "diploma mills" in every single area of education. But an accredited college has to meet a standard. I've worked in colleges that were under going re-certification by the accrediting body and in one college where new degrees were added--it is not at all a rubber stamp.

Now--back to snarking on the Maxwells! 😇

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

I would bet she is not super interested in a graduate program at this time.  If she is doing techie IT work for her brothers company then she may go for advancement via some of the online certification programs offered, but my best guess is she is doing administrative and/or bookkeeping stuff to help run the office and will be putting her college degree skills to work volunteering with activities in her local church. Also probably being active in her community/church promoting ABC to high school seniors since she is an alumni.  She can be flexible with how much time she wants to devote to church/ ministry stuff. Hope she is not too tied to her parents and gets to experience living on her own. But could see her living at home for a while to save money for apartment and car.  Meanwhile she earns a paycheck from brothers company (as she and other sisters probably did through Titus II work) to have gainful employment and thus eligibility to draw Social Security & Medicare when older.

PS Happy Memorial Day everyone and God Bless all active duty and veterans who protect us.

(The Maxwells have probably taken Gigi and local family/gr and kids out to the cemetery for their annual Memorial Day visit.  Wonder if Kory & Sara visited Leavenworth.)

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

If Anna wants to do missions, she might be in process.  She would need to find missions groups to apply to, go through their acceptance process, and then probably raise support before she could leave.  Working for her brother (who presumably would approve of her plans) would give her some flexibility to take time off if she needed to travel in her preparations.  She may even be living in her parents' home in anticipation of leaving in the next year.

I believe Mary and Sam are working at the church in preparation for the mission field.  Anna may have to do something like that also, depending on what missions board/job she ends up with.

Edited by Foursquare
accidentally hit send before I was done
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Foursquare said:

If Anna wants to do missions, she might be in process.  She would need to find missions groups to apply to, go through their acceptance process, and then probably raise support before she could leave.  Working for her brother (who presumably would approve of her plans) would give her some flexibility to take time off if she needed to travel in her preparations.  She may even be living in her parents' home in anticipation of leaving in the next year.

I believe Mary and Sam are working at the church in preparation for the mission field.  Anna may have to do something like that also, depending on what missions board/job she ends up with.

I wonder how much opportunity there is for single females in the fundy mission field?  Also, since Christian fundies don't believe in women ministers, her church employment options are limited.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I wonder how much opportunity there is for single females in the fundy mission field?  Also, since Christian fundies don't believe in women ministers, her church employment options are limited.

Throughout history single women like Gladys Alyward have done missions work. Spinsters. Remember Downton Abby? Lady Edith's comment of "useful spinsters?" No husband--go on the mission field. Men had to take wives with them so they didn't go get a "native" wife. Good Christian girls served God. 

• Upvote 4

I spy a 12 pack of Pepsi!

435963276_791695039694530_4546494907163220667_n.jpg.b3547a34d03a85c6d354b6eca65f1e32.jpg

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

I spy a 12 pack of Pepsi!

435963276_791695039694530_4546494907163220667_n.jpg.b3547a34d03a85c6d354b6eca65f1e32.jpg

Yay!!! Now, if only Teri was there--without Steve!🤣

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7