IGNORED

Quints + whatever God brings

gustava

Deniko, Dariz, Deonee, Daician and Daiten were being cared for in the neonatal intensive care unit. Each infant weighs less than 3 pounds, but their father, Deon Derrico (duh-REE'-koh), said that all are healthy.

Deniko Derrico? Daician and Daiten? :evil-eye:

I'm not totally sure I believe the guy when he says his wife wasn't using fertility treatments. Not that he's necessarily lying or anything, but I'd be more inclined to believe it if the woman (or better yet, the doctor) said so. I guess the babies could be a set of identical twins + a set of identical triplets, but conceiving non-identical quints naturally is...pretty much unheard-of :think:

ETA: Picture of the family from abcnews. Not that you can infer very much from a single pic, but I have to say the little girl does not look too excited about having 5 more little siblings (not that I would blame her).

post-418-1445199818682_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm not totally sure I believe the guy when he says his wife wasn't using fertility treatments. Not that he's necessarily lying or anything, but I'd be more inclined to believe it if the woman (or better yet, the doctor) said so. I guess the babies could be a set of identical twins + a set of identical triplets, but conceiving non-identical quints naturally is...pretty much unheard-of :think:

I think I'd be less suspicious about that as well if they were all identical. Identical quads and quints are not unheard of. Rare, but not unknown. There's a 1 in 55 million chance a woman will ever conceive quintuplets naturally. The rate of conceiving non-identical quintuplets is probably higher. It's not impossible, but I'm always a skeptic about these things. Like the woman who had 69 children. Apparently she had four sets of quads, seven sets of triplets and 16 sets of twins...in the mid to late 1700s...and only two did not survive infancy. His second wife supposedly had six sets of twins and two sets of triplets as well and only one is said to have not survived infancy. That's just not possible and I don't buy it. So, until I hear more proof, I'm going to assume they used some form of fertility medication.

Well, women of African descent are more likely to have multiples than other women naturally, but dang.

Also, I wouldn't consider a 3 lb baby healthy. Now, they're healthy for quintuplets, but still not healthy in general.

• Upvote 1

Better her than me. I have one and he does a good job of making me want to pull my hair out. Besides, I want to give my children every advantage I can, that's why I'm limiting myself to two. I simply can't afford to do that if I have three or more.

I'm not totally sure I believe the guy when he says his wife wasn't using fertility treatments. Not that he's necessarily lying or anything, but I'd be more inclined to believe it if the woman (or better yet, the doctor) said so. I guess the babies could be a set of identical twins + a set of identical triplets, but conceiving non-identical quints naturally is...pretty much unheard-of :think:.

The Dionne quintuplets were not identical quints. There may have been one or two sets of twins but there was no genetic testing at the time to determine that.

A teeny premature baby can be healthy. If she carried 8 months they were probably born feeder/growers (no health issues, just very small). Though, the one in the picture has a cannula on so at least one is on breathing assistance. My twins were born way earlier (29 weeks) and 2lb each and they were relatively healthy. Once they passed the breathing assistance they too became feeder/growers who just needed to get big and learn to suck/swallow/breath to get out of the NICU.

Also, someone who has quints plus other children saying they would have more makes me feel like a wimp for being completely wiped by my two 2 year olds. Another kid would send me to the looney bin most days.

The Dionne quintuplets were not identical quints. There may have been one or two sets of twins but there was no genetic testing at the time to determine that.

According to everything I've ever read or seen about them, they were identical.

This is what Wikipedia says about the Dionne's:

Émilie and Marie shared an embryonic sac (and were identical twins), Annette and Yvonne shared an embryonic sac, and it is believed that Cécile shared an embryonic sac with the miscarried sixth fetus

It calls them identical quints before that though so I'm not sure... Short of DNA testing that wasn't available then, was there a way to tell if they were all identical? Or were they (originally) 3 sets of identical twins?

Well, women of African descent are more likely to have multiples than other women naturally, but dang.

Yeah, I'm guessing this woman is a descendent of groups with higher than average multiples.

There are over 7 billion people on this planet, stuff like this happens. I once read about a woman that had 3 sets of identical twins in row. The odds were 1 in a few 10s of millions of that occurring, from what I remember. Well, that means a woman having 3 sets of identical twins in a row should happen a few times.

Thinking about it, I wonder if she's been pregnant with multiples in the past, but having so many at once might have contributed to those 4 miscarriages.

This is what Wikipedia says about the Dionne's:

It calls them identical quints before that though so I'm not sure... Short of DNA testing that wasn't available then, was there a way to tell if they were all identical? Or were they (originally) 3 sets of identical twins?

Not sharing an embryonic set doesn't mean they are not identical. A lot of identical twins have different sacs.

Looking at the pictures, they look pretty damn identical.

They have 9 kids with D names? Holy crap! We have three with the first sound the same and fuck it up when looking at one and yelling for another lmao.

3 pounds is great for quints! Hell, it's great for triplets depending on is mama has any problems. I hope they continue to be as healthy as possible, the whole family.

Oh, and it's more likely to have fraternal multiples than identical. Much more likely the woman releases extra eggs than one egg splitting, especially a bunch, in just the right timing.

I think I'd be less suspicious about that as well if they were all identical. Identical quads and quints are not unheard of. Rare, but not unknown. There's a 1 in 55 million chance a woman will ever conceive quintuplets naturally. The rate of conceiving non-identical quintuplets is probably higher. It's not impossible, but I'm always a skeptic about these things. Like the woman who had 69 children. Apparently she had four sets of quads, seven sets of triplets and 16 sets of twins...in the mid to late 1700s...and only two did not survive infancy. His second wife supposedly had six sets of twins and two sets of triplets as well and only one is said to have not survived infancy. That's just not possible and I don't buy it. So, until I hear more proof, I'm going to assume they used some form of fertility medication.

Why do you think that's just not possible ? Obviously extremely statistically rare, but why impossible?

The woman with 69 children I would assume had some sort of hyper ovulation condition. People always assume that in the old days almost everyone had children who died in infancy, but in looking at my family tree one thing that really stood out, to me, was that the women had gigantic families with only one or two infant or maternal deaths over the 17th - 19th century.

Statistically rare doesn't equal statistically impossible.

I get a feeling that she was buying some clomid on the internet... I know it isn't impossible to naturally have quints, but I could see a woman with multiple miscarriages turning to fertility drugs on the internet. And that is much more statistically possible.

The Fischer quints, born in 1963 in Aberdeen, SD, were not all identical. I believe two of the girls were identical, the other two girls and the boy were fraternal. (Speaking of names with the same initial letter, all 4 girls were named Mary. Mary Magdalene, Mary Ann, Mary Catherine, and Mary Margaret)

Well, she did already have a set of twins so she might just be prone to multiples and then just hit this odd statistical chance. I'm surprised they're all reasonably healthy though, and glad for them. If I knew that I were pregnant with 5, I would very seriously consider having a reduction. But medical technology for preemies is improving all the time.

Not sharing an embryonic set doesn't mean they are not identical. A lot of identical twins have different sacs.

Looking at the pictures, they look pretty damn identical.

Yeah, they were identical. The different sacs reflect how far along they split from the original egg. The first split produced two embryonic masses, one which would eventually become Yvonne/Annette and one that would become Cecile/Emilie/Marie. Later splits produced individual embryos (the second mass split twice). From what I've read they were pretty much identical except that Emilie and Marie were mirror twins (Emilie was left handed and had a counterclockwise whorl and the other four were right handed with clockwise whorls).

I actually know someone who knows these people. She took Clomid and Metformin.

Yeah, I don't understand why you wouldn't just tell the truth instead of insisting you did not use fertility drugs. If you want babies and have trouble conceiving or carrying to term, there's no shame in using technology to help you. I've been on clomid myself (unfortunately, it didn't work for me). And what a wonderful opportunity it would be for them to give inspiration to struggling couples. To let them know that all hope isn't lost and that science, in all it's glory, might be able to help you. I guess I just don't understand the point of telling falsehoods when they did nothing wrong.

Why do you think that's just not possible ? Obviously extremely statistically rare, but why impossible?

The woman with 69 children I would assume had some sort of hyper ovulation condition. People always assume that in the old days almost everyone had children who died in infancy, but in looking at my family tree one thing that really stood out, to me, was that the women had gigantic families with only one or two infant or maternal deaths over the 17th - 19th century.

Statistically rare doesn't equal statistically impossible.

69 children, all multiples and only two who died of 69 children in the 1700s. Not impossible though back in the day to have them survive, but to have four sets of quadruplets and seven sets of triplets and almost all survive in the 18th century? I'm trying to think logically here. The first known quintuplets to survive to adulthood didn't happen until the 1930s, so what of quadruplets and triplets surviving in the two centuries before. Besides that, they don't allow people to check into that case, so there's not any exact proof that it actually happened besides one claimed census when the children were all adults. Not to mention that it happened to two different women with the same man, so I am quite skeptical that he just happened to marry two women with a similar hyper-ovulation problem. Not skeptical about lack of infant death, but skeptical about having many multiples, including many higher order multiples, and all but two surviving to adulthood back in rural Russia in the 1700s. It's quite possible they were lying to get some fame. It's not like that's never happened before. I need more evidence before I just accept the Vassilhovs' claims. No one even knows what the woman's name was or anything about her besides the claim she had to fame, long after her death.

I actually know someone who knows these people. She took Clomid and Metformin.

Well...clomid doesn't normally cause any hyper-fertilization and is meant to treat ovulation problems to make it easier to become pregnant. Metformin is just a medicine to control diabetes.

Well...clomid doesn't normally cause any hyper-fertilization and is meant to treat ovulation problems to make it easier to become pregnant. Metformin is just a medicine to control diabetes.

Metformin can be used to treat PCOS, though I agree it would not cause pregnancy with multiples.

Clomid has been known to lead to multiple pregnancies, though brief googling suggests this is perhaps rare?

Clomid is also associated with ovulation of more than one egg (is the family claiming they're identical?), and metformin has a secondary use for PCOS