IGNORED

Absolute Insanity: The Atheist Collins Family

mango_fandango

On 5/30/2024 at 9:12 PM, SisterCupcake said:

In America, both can be true. I work at a boarding school in New England, USA, and it's a great place! Most of the girls (it's all-girls) here have a great relationship with their parents, checking in multiple times a day. Some come from dysfunctional homes where boarding school in better than home, but for the most part the school is just a fancy private school that allows students who can afford it (and some on scholarship who can't) to get a leg up on life and help foster independence.

Sounds like "The Facts of Life" . This is about the only impression of what life in a boarding school is like . Well that and "Harry Potter " .  

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

@SisterCupcake, it sounds like the Connecticut boarding school a colleague’s daughter attended as a scholarship student. She was a day student, but she often was able to stay in the dorm overnight at no extra charge when snowstorms made it dangerous for her mom to drive her home. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Marmion said:

Sounds like "The Facts of Life" . This is about the only impression of what life in a boarding school is like . Well that and "Harry Potter " .  

Hide contents

We’re somewhat in between those two things. It can sometimes feel like a big sisterhood, but at other times (usually January and February for the freshmen) it can feel like their word is falling apart when those first friendships they made start blowing up. 

Guess who popped up in the news, again! Here is the headline:  

"Sam Bankman-Fried funded a group with racist ties. FTX wants its $5m back"

Here is the first sentence of the article:

Multiple events hosted at a historic former hotel in Berkeley, California, have brought together people from intellectual movements popular at the highest levels in Silicon Valley while platforming prominent people linked to scientific racism, the Guardian reveals.

They go on to explain the events hosted at the Bankman-Fried owned hotel:

During the last year, Lightcone and its director, Oliver Habryka, have made the $20m Lighthaven Campus available for conferences and workshops associated with the “longtermism”, “rationalism” and “effective altruism” (EA) communities, all of which often see empowering the tech sector, its elites and its beliefs as crucial to human survival in the far future.

At these events, movement influencers rub shoulders with startup founders and tech-funded San Francisco politicians – as well as people linked to eugenics and scientific racism

The article goes on to list the various speakers at these events and the repulsive beliefs of each. And then it mentions our Hero and Heroine:

Several controversial guests were also present at Manifest 2023, also held at Lighthaven, including rightwing writer Hanania, whose pseudonymous white-nationalist commentary from the early 2010s was catalogued last August in HuffPost, and Malcolm and Simone Collins, whose EA-inspired pro-natalism – the belief that having as many babies as possible will save the world – was detailed in the Guardian last month.

The Collinses were, along with Razib Khan and Jonathan Anomaly, featured speakers at the eugenicist Natal Conference in Austin last December, as previously reported in the Guardian.

UGH! Quiverfull by way of worship of pseudoscience.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7

I just wanted to apologise for writing spaghetti at all of you. I have been recovering from surgery, and the pain-pill clouded up my language. Sorry.

• Confused 1
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, FilleMondaine said:

I just wanted to apologise for writing spaghetti at all of you. I have been recovering from surgery, and the pain-pill clouded up my language. Sorry.

Actually I thought what you wrote was clear and easy-to-follow. No apologies necessary, IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Thanks—you made me realize that I was being too hard on myself. :)

• Love 3

• 4 weeks later...

A news article just popped up on my feed about these people and the first thing I thought was "I wonder if FJ has talked about these crazy parents?" 😄

In today's article there's info about how they plan to educate their children by "unschooling" them. They have started a school called the Collins Institute for the Gifted for middle school through post-graduate age students. You can visit their fancy website, if you desire to waste an hour. 

These are clearly people who think they know everything and the rest of us are bumbling idiots. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Sk8ter said:

A news article just popped up on my feed about these people and the first thing I thought was "I wonder if FJ has talked about these crazy parents?" 😄

In today's article there's info about how they plan to educate their children by "unschooling" them. They have started a school called the Collins Institute for the Gifted for middle school through post-graduate age students. You can visit their fancy website, if you desire to waste an hour. 

These are clearly people who think they know everything and the rest of us are bumbling idiots. 

I can’t await until they fail miserably at unschooling children. I will feel sorry for the kids. But I hope it will lead them to sending them to school.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

On 7/19/2024 at 12:57 AM, Sk8ter said:

They have started a school called the Collins Institute for the Gifted for middle school through post-graduate age students

And there's the grift. At least that explains the sudden desire for news articles.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

It cracks me that unschooling, as a philosophy, is all about educating children outside schools and instead immersing them in the real world (with the child/teen in charge of their own learning). Yet the parents create a school for unschooling.

Sure, that'll work.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6