IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 17: St Meghan's Hagiography

Coconut Flan

Harry has his Diddy Scandal and Meghan is selling bath towels online.

They continue to be a living SNL sketch. 

• Upvote 5

The Harry/Diddy thing is weird. I really see no connection between them, besides Diddy performing at the Concert for Diana years ago. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, viii said:

The Harry/Diddy thing is weird. I really see no connection between them, besides Diddy performing at the Concert for Diana years ago. 

and Diddy apparently name dropping Harry for clout.  "Hey if you come to my parties you will see some famous people like so and so and him, and him and Prince Harry." So far that is the only allegation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

and Diddy apparently name dropping Harry for clout.  "Hey if you come to my parties you will see some famous people like so and so and him, and him and Prince Harry." So far that is the only allegation. 

Yeah, that's what I was able to discern from the lawsuit, but it's weird that Harry was the only celebrity named. The whole thing is just bizarre. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

With all the drama and headline that just constantly surrounds Harry either through his making  or others anything high profile/Sleazy like this he is even tangentially connected to makes him look bad, shady and the butt of more jokes/accusations. The press got him shaking Sean Combs hand so it’s a free for all naturally. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, viii said:

Yeah, that's what I was able to discern from the lawsuit, but it's weird that Harry was the only celebrity named. The whole thing is just bizarre. 

why was Harry the only famous person "name dropped" by the feds?! That's super weird. 

I do hope that if the allegations against Diddy are true (and I am just talking about Diddy at this time), that he will be convicted of a real crime and serve real time.  That he will not receive an Epstein treatment from the first go around.  And if there are accomplices, let the chips fall where they call. 

• Upvote 7

Cynical me says because the other persons are much bigger fish with much more influence and much much more money who can destroy a lot more lives and careers by dropping other names.

Money talks and Bullshit walks. A runaway 5th in line who is not even a citizen is easy meat when authorities want to look like they are getting things done and give a crap. 

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

I do hope that if the allegations against Diddy are true (and I am just talking about Diddy at this time), that he will be convicted of a real crime and serve real time.  That he will not receive an Epstein treatment from the first go around.  And if there are accomplices, let the chips fall where they call. 

Agreed; it's time for all these rings to come to light, regardless of who is involved. Expose them all. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Meghan is reportedly seeking trademark to sell everything from baby products to beach towels, yoga mats, makeup and pet food. 

This feels like just throwing stuff at a wall and hoping something sticks. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Meghan is reportedly seeking trademark to sell everything from baby products to beach towels, yoga mats, makeup and pet food. 

I own and operate a professional business and this is a maddening (and dumb) business strategy. But it is surprisingly common. Someone close to me works in tech and he says this is how venture capitalism works, with the difference that it is different companies throwing the manure at the barn wall. 

All that to say it's not just Meghan doing this but also whoever is financing her ventures. In fact, the business of the scale she is attempting is likely an interplay between her ideas and the financial people.

It is mystifying.

• Upvote 8

22 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I'm actually very cool with this, as I'm always on the lookout for decent products I can buy from the comfort of my couch.  As long as the items are attractive, not too overpriced and can be delivered to my door, I'm down. 

I can't see her trafficking in low cost, sub-standard, Temu level crap made in Indonesian sweat shops, so I'm willing to take a look at the goods when her site is up & fully functional.

I don't care about name brands, so as long as they don't sport garish logos, I'm open. 

Edited by CultureVulture

The place she’s copying sells Jennifer Anniston $200 pots of honey.  Be prepared to see a $50 and up jar of jam.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The place she’s copying sells Jennifer Anniston $200 pots of honey.  Be prepared to see a $50 and up jar of jam.

And here I thought the Manuka* honey we sell at my pharmacy for 85 € a pot was expensive

*it's special honey from New Zealand from bees that only collect pollen from Manuka trees. They say that this makes that honey special, while studies show no difference to other honeys. But people will buy it and pay that price, but people are also buying homeopathy, so well.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, CultureVulture said:

I'm actually very cool with this, as I'm always on the lookout for decent products I can buy from the comfort of my couch.  As long as the items are attractive, not too overpriced and can be delivered to my door, I'm down. 

I can't see her trafficking in low cost, sub-standard, Temu level crap made in Indonesian sweat shops, so I'm willing to take a look at the goods when her site is up & fully functional.

I don't care about name brands, so as long as they don't sport garish logos, I'm open. 

Oh the prices won’t be Temu level. It’s her name/brand that makes the pricing, not the quality. As if Jens Honey is worth $200. But if anyone has the money to overspend because of her logo on it it’s fine. But that’s not the same as paying a decent price to support a brand with excellent ecological and ethical background. There will be much fanfare about it but down the line people will find out that it’s not as shiny as promised. And it will come out because M has a massive target on her back so everything will be under the looking glass.

@klein_roeschen people love to believe that they have something „special“. That the shipping/flying around of the honey has a bad impact on environment which will affect the trees and the bees badly eventually (climate change, pesticides…. you know the gist…) is just not as important as to feel special.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6

I'm really caught up on the jam part of this, I think. I have no real take on Meghan, but I keep turning the company launch over and over in my head so...here's all those hot takes.

All the articles that speculate on what ARO (I'm not typing all that y'all) sells suggest it's going to be somewhat like GOOP. Broad, expensive, items (supposedly) selected by the face of the brand, but there's a reason there's only one GOOP. GOOP was a email newsletter for so long before it was GOOP as we know it and spent so much time building a brand around itself that ARO just doesn't have, time wise.

But, okay.

But now we're hearing things like "luxury jam" which aside from being absurd just seems to break the rules of marketing. Expensive, luxury items should look a certain level of cheap. Even if you go to the grocery store and pick up more expensive jams and preserves, they are packaged in Mason jars or similar, the jar lid is decorated with a fake gingham, and if you're really fancy, they'll have actually knotted a gingham square around there. For a product like jam to cost more, it must look as if it comes from a simpler time, and it should suggest a humble beginning, even if you pay $14 a jar and it's made in a factory.

GOOP does this too. Simple logo, really expensive products that look nearly entirely unbranded (especially in their clothes and home goods). It's like SkyMall up in there with a veneer of pleasantly wealthy disinterest. (I miss SkyMall so bad, y'all.)

Even Williams-Sonoma does this from time to time. Yes, yes, yes, that Le Creuset costs $500 but look! In our ad somebody cooked the Humble Beans in it. This is not (just) a very expensive Dutch oven, this is an heirloom Dutch oven like the oldy times in which you, inspired by these decades of families around a humble hearth, will cook your ever so classic humble farmers dishes in. 

Because wealth whispers. It's the costuming rule of Succession. 

If it's expensive, it should look cheap, or homey, or at least unremarkable. If it's cheap, it should look expensive. 

Which brings me to ARO. The logo looks too luxurious. The launch is too pretentious. The name is too much. It's not whispering. 

And if it's cheap but looks expensive, the launch is weird. Launching without product is kind of weird choice anyway. Sure, build hype. But also, risk being forgotten because you burned all your media energy on the mystery of the launch. It's a strange illusion of luxury branding but without the accessibility (right now) for the average buyer. 

So which is it? A luxury brand trying to look relatable? Jams and jellies and a home orchard? Or an accessible brand trying to exude luxury? It doesn't seem to be doing either, which I guess is a niche you could try to fill, but I think it risks falling into the valley between instead. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

But that’s not the same as paying a decent price to support a brand with excellent ecological and ethical background. There will be much fanfare about it but down the line people will find out that it’s not as shiny as promised. And it will come out because M has a massive target on her back so everything will be under the looking glass.

Very true!  But it costs nothing to look, and when the site is live, she'll get lots of traffic & attention.  As I said, I'm always open to possibilities that I think are worth the cost.  

I tend to buy local, definitely honey, jams, sauces, etc.  My town has a thriving weekend market with these items, plus veggies & baked goods, so it's rare I have to even buy commercial at the grocery store, unless I have a serious condiment emergency!  *LOL*

My weakness is actually nice linens.  Fine sheets, towels and the like are my Kryptonite!

• Upvote 2

I always try to buy local honey.  It is better for your seasonal allergies because it is exposing your body to your local pollen... so I have read. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, TN-peach said:

I always try to buy local honey.  It is better for your seasonal allergies because it is exposing your body to your local pollen... so I have read. 

I'm lucky because my bil is a beekeeper and he gives us free local honey. I don't eat much honey, though.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TN-peach said:

Same. Also it tastes delicious and we need pollinators!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:31 PM, TN-peach said:

I know a beekeeper through my work where I get my honey from. And also a retired guy who raises chickens as hobby where me and some coworkers get our eggs from. It is more expensive than from the grocery store, but it is local and I know where it comes from. But when I calculate it for how much I use that throughout the year, that's maybe 50 bucks more.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

The Sussexes will be starring in 2 Netflix tv shows; Harry in a show about polo and Meghann is a cooking show.

https://people.com/meghan-markle-prince-harry-announce-new-shows-netflix-cooking-polo-8609929

Theoretically. No actual confirmation from Netflix. 

Meghan's past forages into cooking on camera have been something. One of her making toast with jam is going around Twitter. Apparently, that is (her wording) a "sometimes daunting" task. 

• Haha 8
  • Love 1

Awesome. A polo document from Harry who injured his own horse  and kept riding the bloody beast.  Fun times.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1308528/Prince-Harry-faces-animal-cruelty-claim-polo-ponys-stab-wound-spur.html

The odds that the document will glorify the players who are all some entitled, adrenalin seeking rich kids, and absolutely gloss over the stress, injuries and other dangers these privileged gits force their animals to endure?

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/the-death-of-prince-harrys-polo-pony-is-not-an-isolated-incident/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1275441/Prince-Harrys-tears-Drizzle-favourite-pony-collapses-dies-polo.html#ixzz0nXSZtpOK

He once killed his own polo pony during a game. It was struggling when he was riding it and had a heart attack shortly afterwards.  But hey, no biggie because these things happen and it was not his fault that he was riding a struggling animal in a stupid animal abusing game.

The horses are also at risk during the long transports. There has been more than one incident in which more than one animal died at the same time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-12/spirit-of-tasmania-polo-ponies-court-hearing-horse-/101327382

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/sports/othersports/24polo.html

But I fully expect Harry to gush about what a great sport this is. 

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 4
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic