IGNORED

Trump 64: He's Finally In Front Of A Judge

GreyhoundFan

This might seem to help him in the short term, but in the end, he's going down hard.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3

An appeals court in New York State has denied a request by former President Donald Trump to suspend a summary judgment in Attorney General Letitia James' civil fraud case against him and his adult sons, reported The Washington Post Friday.

This is from Raw Story.  They did note that the state is willing to "delay proceedings over ownership" of the properties.  What next?  Can he appeal to anyone else?  I doubt that he'll just comply.

• Thank You 5

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.jpeg.7bdcf7ec124322ec66346f282be05840.jpeg

I've liked what I've seen of his posts until now.  Looks like he's trying to be funny.  If others got to actually see what Donald saw; e.g., some of those documents he has been arrested for, then the results could be disastrous.  I believe this shouldn't be made light of.

• I Agree 7

"How Trump was talked into — and out of — a run for speaker"

Just hours after Kevin McCarthy was deposed as House speaker, the “draft Trump” movement began.

“I called him and I said, ‘Sir, I’m nominating you for the speaker of the House,’” said Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas), describing a Tuesday call to former President Donald Trump. “I said, ‘I think that you would do a great job fixing the brokenness we see in the Congress.’”

So began a wild 48-hour scramble that saw Trump openly pondering a quixotic bid to become the first nonmember to be elected speaker before his political advisers and House allies managed to convince him it was a terrible idea.

The Trump-for-speaker bubble officially popped early Friday morning, when he took sides in the brewing battle between Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.).

“Congressman Jim Jordan has been a STAR,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. “He will be a GREAT Speaker of the House, & has my Complete & Total Endorsement!”

It was not preordained that Trump would bless Jordan, his longtime ally and most loyal defender in Congress. Nehls and a handful of the ex-president’s loyalists in the House, including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), immediately went to work trying to turn “Speaker Trump” from fever dream into reality.

Nehls said he even researched the question of whether Trump’s criminal indictments would be a problem and assured the former president that a potentially disqualifying internal House GOP rule could be easily smoothed over.

Trump, who was busy at his civil fraud trial in Manhattan this week, was noncommittal. But as the idea took off among the MAGA base, Trump began to see the idea as a fortuitous distraction from the constant barrage of headlines about his legal woes, according to one Trump ally in Congress.

The flirtations culminated in a Thursday afternoon interview with Fox News, where Trump not only confirmed his willingness to serve as speaker for a “short period” but said he would come to Washington next week to attend the House GOP’s election.

The story triggered panic among House Republicans. It wasn’t that anyone seriously thought he’d win the 218 votes to be elected. In fact, most who were familiar with the conference’s internal dynamics believed he couldn’t even get the conference nomination, requiring a simple majority of Republicans.

Centrist Republicans running in Biden districts were dreading the prospect of being tied to Trump as speaker. And even traditional and conservative Republicans were not happy about the idea of reporters peppering them with questions about whether they think Trump should lead the House.

Moreover, many Republicans believed that Trump’s foray into the fight was going to only prolong the power vacuum ahead of another government shutdown fight.

That’s when Trump’s more senior allies stepped up, according to people familiar with the backroom maneuvering who spoke on the condition of anonymity. They argued to Trump that his pursuit of the speaker’s gavel would backfire.

Not only would he lose to Scalise or Jordan, they told him but that he could receive just a handful of votes since the nomination process is done by secret ballot — meaning Republicans were free to vote their conscience without MAGA blowback. In fact, they warned, Trump might not even be admitted to the closed-door election, which are typically held in “executive session” where outsiders and even most staff are kicked out of the room.

They also told his inner circle that the tallies are publicly released, meaning Trump could be embarrassed by a poor showing. They encouraged him to play kingmaker in the race and focus on the 2024 president race instead.

Trump took the advice and began a carefully choreographed backtrack. The pivot was first publicly teased last night by Sean Hannity, moments before interviewing Jordan on Fox News, and Trump made it official a few hours later on Truth Social.

Nehls said tried to talk Trump into it one more time last night: “I said, ‘You know, you made America great again. You can come in and make Congress great again.’”

He still thinks Trump could end up as speaker if there’s a deadlock.

• Thank You 9

How can anyone interviewing him keep a straight face?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank You 8

27 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

How can anyone interviewing him keep a straight face?

Oh the irony of the completely ignorant complaining about the poorly educated who are his biggest fans.

• Upvote 11

Suuuuure:

• Disgust 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 10

Good gravy:

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 5

28 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Suuuuure:

Oh yikes! Trump is believing the fantasy art pictures. ( I'm using art loosely here, but know pictures and paintings have been posted.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

He is one sick MF

• Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 9

20 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

He is one sick MF

I can’t wrap my brain around the idea that his followers actually believe this.  🤯 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 10

19 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I've liked what I've seen of his posts until now.  Looks like he's trying to be funny.  If others got to actually see what Donald saw; e.g., some of those documents he has been arrested for, then the results could be disastrous.  I believe this shouldn't be made light of.

It's very black humour, granted. Seriously though - this breach is pretty bad.Two people were just convicted of selling nuclear secrets and recieved 19 and 22 year sentences. How he is still walking around rather than incarcerated awaiting trial I'm not sure, but he should be being questioned pretty fully with no access to social media while they assess the damage.

Another option could be (small hope) they took out classified information or put in disinformation in documents given to Trump to see where it ended up. I honestly hope this is the case and he's not just free for wealth and political reasons.

Also, why are all these Australians suddenly involved?! Tony Pratt's an idiot, although to be fair if the President of the US was casually talking to me (a totally non-cleared individual) about nuclear submarines in a public venue my first thought wouldn't be to wonder if the information was highly classified. I notice Pratt has the sense to cooperate though - and I wonder who else has interviewed him.

• Upvote 10

My eyes hurt from rolling:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

You couldn’t make this up:

• Confused 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 3

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

He is one sick MF

So let me get this straight. The party who pretty much refuses to have gun control of any sort and who likes to come up with excuses for mass shootings, especially mass shooting in schools, is claiming that the Democrats want to kill children after they're born?

I am shaking my head at this one.

• Upvote 11

13 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Suuuuure:

Somebody must've told him the difference between him and Biden is that he has an "A" and Biden an "I".

Biden is physically fit, Trump is physically fAt.

• Haha 10

There is hope yet for some people who consider themselves Republicans.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

57 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

It still amuses me that you can vote for dead people in US elections.

To be honest though, there are dead people I’d rather have in office over some of the (presumably) live ones currently holding the post! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

I bet the ketchup would fly if TFG saw this:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

It still amuses me that you can vote for dead people in US elections.

It’s odd, but then again, it happened in the Netherlands in 2002. When Pim Fortuin was assassinated right before the elections, the ballots had already been printed. They couldn’t be rectified in time, and people overwhelmingly voted for him posthumously. Which was a stupid thing to do, and led by public emotions about his murder. But this was an exceptional situation. Under normal circumstances it’s not possible to vote for a dead person.

What I find strange is that it’s possible to write in a candidate of your own choosing so be able to vote for someone who’s not on the ballot, be they alive or dead. 

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic