IGNORED

House of Representatives 5: The Clown Caucus is Throwing Their Toys Out of The Playpen

GreyhoundFan

Yeah I mean...I'm trying to NOT become a conspiracy theorist - but why is this soooooo important? Are they going to try to make something happen to pres and VP?? Because it's starting to seem like the Republicans are trying so hard to do something that doesn't make sense and to what end? It is because they're "worried" about who is 3rd in line?? I'm starting not put anything past them. It started to get crazy when they refused to clear Obama's supreme court people because it was too close to the election and then rammed through their own when the situation was reversed. And seems like since then it's been any unethical thing goes, doesn't even have to be covert.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Last week, I likened the House Republicans’ governance to a goat rodeo, but the comparison was grossly unfair — to ruminants.

Goats are cute, especially mountain goats (which I knew aren't really goats.) Republicans are not cute at all!

• I Agree 5

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

But he threw his hat into the ring anyway, to give his Republican colleagues at least some alternative to Jordan. And so great was the animosity toward Jordan that 81 Republicans threw their support behind Scott, who even some Capitol Hill veterans couldn’t have picked out of a lineup.

Wow. This is just amazing to me. I get that in a large party you have factions but that 81 people couldn't stand Jordan to that extent - seriously, find someone else. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Yeah I mean...I'm trying to NOT become a conspiracy theorist - but why is this soooooo important? Are they going to try to make something happen to pres and VP?? Because it's starting to seem like the Republicans are trying so hard to do something that doesn't make sense and to what end? It is because they're "worried" about who is 3rd in line?? I'm starting not put anything past them. It started to get crazy when they refused to clear Obama's supreme court people because it was too close to the election and then rammed through their own when the situation was reversed. And seems like since then it's been any unethical thing goes, doesn't even have to be covert.

Yeah.  This bothers me too.  It's like the 2020 election when Trump kept insisting that he won.  Now Jordan is just determined that he be given the Speaker's chair when it's obvious that no one wanted him in the first place.  He's just not going to admit defeat -- and I think Trump is pushing him.

I just read that Jordan is having an 8 AM press conference and that they're going to have another vote.  McHenry doesn't want to stay in place unless they agree to giving him more powers.  Jordan still desperately wants the chair. 

I love that Ocasio-Cortez said this:  (from Raw Story)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also chimed in.

"An 8am Jim Jordan judiciary presser?" she wrote Thursday. "What’s he gonna do, announce that he’s going to impeach everyone who doesn’t vote for him?"

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I guess Qevin is exploring a new life as a stand-up comedian:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

Here's coverage of Gym's stupid press conference:

More under spoiler:

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 2

Hilarious, Jordan is up to 25 defectors, three more than last time. Plus, he gets only 194, votes with a couple of Reps not present in the House. :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

image.thumb.png.59df98e649eb856ea9ec617af2070d4f.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 9

if these are the tactics used to win votes for Jordan, Ii's no wonder more people defected.

Be warned, parts are bleeped, but some are still somewhat NSFW.

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

21 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Love Jake

Jake is a master of deadpan, isn't he?

• Upvote 7

Just a small list of things that completely dumbfound me about this bunch.

Kevin McCarthy grovels his way into the job, can’t hold on to it, and then goes on tho NOMINATE THE GUY THAT WAS DIRECTLY BEHIND HIS OUSTING for the job that he just lost

Jim Jordan loses a secret vote to try out for the job, but the winner backs out, so as the loser, gets to try anyway. (Stupid, but on brand, I guess)

Proceeds to lose the actual vote twice by an ever increasing margin but decides to try again, because this time the death threats will work. 

DEATH THREATS!! When your co-worker, not to mention one that is on your side of the aisle, is issuing death threats and threats of bodily harm to your family, you may want to take a look at the direction your life has taken. This is very much NOT OKAY!!!

Ken Buck unintentionally providing a moment of levity as he admits, out loud, that he has been nominating Tom Emmer for the post solely because he doesn’t like him. 🤷‍♀️

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

if these are the tactics used to win votes for Jordan, Ii's no wonder more people defected.

Be warned, parts are bleeped, but some are still somewhat NSFW.

1. If nothing else this shows Jordan is very, very unsuited to the role. If you can't negotiate a consensus and convince people to vote for you/your position without bullying and threats then you are not fit for this position.

2. If I were the congressman or the wife I would be really, really angry about those threats. I'm assuming if CNN has them then the police do too because that is so far over the line it's not funny. This would also be the point where I started organising a moderate candidate and orchestrating a coup, with Democrat help if needed. Find a suitable moderate the Dems and moderate Rs can live with, get them in, and change the rules back to the previous version. If I couldn't find a moderate R then I would look at the current 25 "Other" and work on either finding 6 more to vote Jeffries or a suitable Independent if there is one.

3. "You're going to be molested like you can't imagine. And again, non-violently" is one of the most non-sequiteur and obviously trying to slide through a legal loophole threats I've ever heard.  Also "we're not violent like the left" - haven't had any threatening phone calls released by Dems recently or at all that I remember. 

4. Just as a side note, would that threat be considered a federal rather than state offence? 

5. The sheer entitlement of these dipshits really amazes me. You're not entitled to be speaker because you were nominated Jordan. It's work, and given he appears to have done bugger all in the time he's been in Congress I'm not sure he's even vaguely aware how much work it would involve. He wants the power, but not the responsibility- and this is a soft coup attempt and should be quashed, whether that means voting with Democrats (hey if it's good for Gaetz...) or not.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 9

Been watching more hallway interviews....

more whining about how the democrats caused all this.

and "Jim Jordan is the most popular representative in the house"

One of them said we want to be open about the process and have the kremlin running things (a dig a democrats, that doesn't make sense at all)

God the respect I would have for the reps who decided to ally with democrats and actually function. Together they could out weight the crazy right wingers. My respect might go from negative infinity to negative infinity minus 1.

I don't know why more of them aren't deeply troubled by the threats to other members. I would not want to vote for a guy whose followers think this is ok, no matter how I felt for the guy. but then it's sort of chicken and egg. Presumably, a decent guy wouldn't have followers who think death threats are ok.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

and "Jim Jordan is the most popular representative in the house"

Yeah, so how come only 89 of his colleagues voted for his candidacy during the secret ballot held in conference today?

And while we’re on the subject, how come 105 members of the conference were too cowardly to not vote for Jordan during the public House floor vote earlier today? Not to speak of those members who weren’t even on the floor to cast a vote. Only 25 had the balls to vote for someone else.

Tells you enough about the state of abject fear the party is in.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

It's absurd. They wanna play the Trump gameplan but it's not quite working. However, it's disturbing how close that gameplan comes to working

• I Agree 5

5 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

And while we’re on the subject, how come 105 members of the conference were too cowardly to not vote for Jordan during the public House floor vote earlier today?

They talk a good game but most don't have the courage to even stand up in front of their own party, let alone an enemy. I wonder if that's partly why McCain was able to - after being in an actual war the petty threats of "colleagues" didn't really faze him.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

They talk a good game but most don't have the courage to even stand up in front of their own party, let alone an enemy. I wonder if that's partly why McCain was able to - after being in an actual war the petty threats of "colleagues" didn't really faze him.

The threats and the bullying are probably the norm in the party, and I suppose that is — at least in part— why Trump is so successful in keeping the party in line. I wonder which came first, a slow build up of subtle pressure that grew exponentially and got amplified by big bully Trump, or Trump gaining power over the party because of the already present culture of threats within the ranks and Trump’s innate bullying nature fit right in and eventually gave him the upper hand?

In any case, I think the party will eventually implode. Because how could anyone psychologically survive, let alone thrive under such circumstances? You can see the beginnings already happening before our eyes: the overt bringing out in the open of actual examples of the kind of tactics that seem to be commonplace, like the text and the voicemail in the pressure campaign for Jordan, and the more covert stories of the absolute chaos that happens behind closed doors, such as the screaming matches and almost coming to blows during the meeting of the conference.

Many members who currently continue to fall in line are like victims of domestic abuse who can’t seem to leave the relationship, which on a personal level must be horrible. On the other hand, for a lot of them, it might well have been the lure of power that drew them to the party in the first place, so unlike a domestic abuse victim, they willingly chose (and continue to choose) to be in the relationship, so they aren’t actually without any blame themselves.

If the real life consequences weren’t so dire, it would be rather fascinating to watch this slow burning train wreck happening before our very eyes. As it stands, and for democracy’s sake, it would be best if the party simply falls apart as soon as possible.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

I cannot understand how anyone can continue to vote for any of these Republicans.  Can the party not find any better candidates to run for House seats?  They are all a joke.  The Republican party is a joke and will continue until they can exorcise tRump.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Here's the snarky letter that the fringe gang received.  (From Olivia Beavers of Politico)

Screenshot(16319).png.38dd4762fbd6496672a27babb82bab48.pngScreenshot(16321).png.d1374db227f886a54f0f1fc9c3e3e91b.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5