IGNORED

House of Representatives 5: The Clown Caucus is Throwing Their Toys Out of The Playpen

GreyhoundFan

Mike Johnson reportedly said that "every American woman has a duty to birth at least one able-bodied worker."  Yikes.

And here he is praying yesterday on the House floor.

Spoiler

Screenshot(16411).png.38a6a4d68df39d16d6c204add30d7d2f.png

He's a scary little fucker.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 5

As I have said several times before, I self-identify as a Christian. One of my beliefs is this:

Matthew 6:5-7

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly..

I fully admit, I could do more personal praying.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I happened to stop by my neighbor who was raking when I walked the dog and we talked about dust when raking. She says "you should get one of those covid masks"

WTF? When did a regular old dust mask become a "covid mask"  This neighbor I call "jesus is the reason" because I don't know her name but on our dead end street that gets no traffic she feels the need to put out a sign every year that "jesus is the reason" and it always rubs me the wrong way. preachy freaking christians bossing people with their yard signs. ugh

anyway.

these people suck and I really really really really want to believe that normal people are paying attention and will vote for non psychos next year.

but I don't believe in magical interventions and instead "believe" much more in the greedy nature of assholes. so I'm pretty concerned.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

52 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

WTF? When did a regular old dust mask become a "covid mask"  This neighbor I call "jesus is the reason" because I don't know her name but on our dead end street that gets no traffic she feels the need to put out a sign every year that "jesus is the reason" and it always rubs me the wrong way. preachy freaking christians bossing people with their yard signs. ugh

anyway.

Yes the more evil part of me for years has wanted to go in a Hobby Lobby and when they tell me Merry Christmas get this pretend shocked looking my face say, "Oh my gosh you're right. Jesus is the reason for the season. You know I don't really need that shopping cart full of items that I purchased since it's all about Jesus so let's just go ahead and return all of it." I wouldn't do it because the poor sales person wouldn't be the one who puts the policies in effect but I have had that in my mind for a long time.

• Upvote 5

Also not a big surprise:

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1

I read today that Mike Johnson is a good friend of Ken Ham.  Ham is the Ark Encounter guy.  (He's also the first person who ever blocked me when I was still on Twitter.  He's a bit thin skinned.)

Mike believes that the earth is 6,000 years old and that there were dinosaurs on the ark.  Seriously.  He and Ham think that Noah put baby dinosaurs on the ark.  We've now entered the Flintstones era of bad government.  Yabba dabba do.... 

• Upvote 13

Johnson's wife is as disgusting as her husband. CW: Anti-LGBT

Spoiler

image.png.8482759bc2c82be05fb4ee4cec910be9.png

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 4

On 10/27/2023 at 9:35 AM, apple1 said:

As I have said several times before, I self-identify as a Christian. One of my beliefs is this:

Matthew 6:5-7

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly..

I fully admit, I could do more personal praying.

Although I am atheist, your quote was my father's favorite scripture, and he would repeat it often.  I am, however, quite partial to the book of Amos.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

On 10/28/2023 at 12:16 AM, Xan said:

Mike Johnson reportedly said that "every American woman has a duty to birth at least one able-bodied worker."  Yikes.

And here he is praying yesterday on the House floor.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot(16411).png.38a6a4d68df39d16d6c204add30d7d2f.png

I look forward to seeing Johnson's introduction of expanded maternity leave, full antenatal healthcare, and increased childcare and payments to mothers. 

That's what he means by that statement, right? /s

10 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

He's disgusting.

Saying the quiet part out loud is the new best thing apparently. Exactly who was able to vote in the 18th century, and was owning property a requirement? Because I'm sure if it wasn't this mob would find a way to make number of votes proportional to wealth, just to make sure the "right" people were in charge.

• Upvote 11

What 18th-century values? The one where the Founding Fathers (who, admittedly, were racist misogynists, most of them) tried to make very certain to clearly delineate a big fat separation between church and state, or the one where they tried their best to come up with a political system (that admittedly ended up flawed) that encouraged compromise and where the checks and balances were most certainly not meant to be used to impeach whoever you didn’t like but instead to, you know, stop people  playing tyrant?

Yeah, pretty certain we weren’t talking about those values. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 11

(I realize that what I am about to say here is after the fact and won't change anything. I am just trying to wrap my brain around all of this).

Where did Johnson come from, as far as having enough power and support for the GOP to suddenly - after ousting McCarthy and not having enough support to place Scalise, Jordan, or Emmer - that I had previously heard of? I mean, if I had heard Johnson mentioned before, it was in one ear, out the other, and not a name that I retained in my brain. So - how did this happen? How did a virtual unknown suddenly become Speaker? What role, if any, did Gaetz play in this selection? How did Johnson's extremist - even for the GOP - stances slip by?

Yes, I know Johnson is representative from Louisiana, and was first elected in 2016. So - a newby. Guess what? While there may be other reasons for term limits, or for age limits - neither of those would have stopped this person.

• Upvote 14

10 hours ago, apple1 said:

(I realize that what I am about to say here is after the fact and won't change anything. I am just trying to wrap my brain around all of this).

Where did Johnson come from, as far as having enough power and support for the GOP to suddenly - after ousting McCarthy and not having enough support to place Scalise, Jordan, or Emmer - that I had previously heard of? I mean, if I had heard Johnson mentioned before, it was in one ear, out the other, and not a name that I retained in my brain. So - how did this happen? How did a virtual unknown suddenly become Speaker? What role, if any, did Gaetz play in this selection? How did Johnson's extremist - even for the GOP - stances slip by?

Yes, I know Johnson is representative from Louisiana, and was first elected in 2016. So - a newby. Guess what? While there may be other reasons for term limits, or for age limits - neither of those would have stopped this person.

It's really weird. The moderates refused to vote for jordan and others but somehow they ALL agreed on this guy. WHY!? What deal was made??? Who is behind this?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

It's really weird. The moderates refused to vote for jordan and others but somehow they ALL agreed on this guy. WHY!? What deal was made??? Who is behind this?

Inquiring minds want to know…

I am guessing there was some sort of closed door deal because the moderates wanted to get back to work and Johnson was picked because he’s conservative enough for the extremists and something of an unknown while  being regarded as friendly and affable.

Pretty sure he was hired to start a law school at Louisiana College (Southern Baptist) and it didn’t work out. Campus was in turmoil over various scandals but somehow he got out of there without ruffling feathers. I’m guessing he’s the kind of guy who avoids controversy—meaning he will look the other way at any sort of ethics violations within his own ranks. Nothing to see here, carry on, oh look Biden impeachment. 🙄

• Upvote 10

He’s a loathsome individual:

• Eyeroll 7

I hate these people. As if Rome had more homosexuality than any other time. As if there weren't 100 reasons why rome fell that aren't that....a society that lasted 2000 or so years depending on how you feel like counting.

vs....puritans...50 years? 

vs maga....5 years?

My last shred of hope in America is that non crazy americans are looking at this and going....waaaaahhhhht? The house speaker believes whaaaaat? The house decided to embrace maga even more? the house speaker is an election denier who believes in conversion therapy and thinks women's work is breeding? oh hell no. and vote accordingly. But my "hope" is very ground into dust right now so I feel like more than hope I'm just sitting strapped into the train watching it go over the cliff.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

29 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

My last shred of hope in America is that non crazy americans are looking at this and going....waaaaahhhhht? The house speaker believes whaaaaat? The house decided to embrace maga even more? the house speaker is an election denier who believes in conversion therapy and thinks women's work is breeding? oh hell no. and vote accordingly. But my "hope" is very ground into dust right now so I feel like more than hope I'm just sitting strapped into the train watching it go over the cliff.

I'm feeling the same way.  I never would have thought there was a possibility that people would be willing to vote for man with 91 criminal charges lodged against him.  They've even said they'd vote for him if he went to prison.  How do you argue with that kind of crazy?  We've got fundamentalists taking over the House and a new fundie speaker who is willing to trade aid for saving the ultra-rich some tax money.  I'm not sure how they think we'll run the country without funds but there it is.  They just don't think.  I'm wishing there was some other country that I could flee to about now.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

What's weirder is they're saying that what's his name's conduct does NOT matter to being the president, it's not relevant.

Not "well we don't care for XYZ but we want him as prez"

but being a possible criminal x100 is not relevant? to being president!?

the telling secrets is not relevant? the fraud is not relevant? the sexual assaults? the racism? 

not relevant and has nothing to do with the job of prez.

What? 

I saw a headline that some Muslim group is saying "don't vote for bide unless there's a ceasefire" Good god - seriously? you want Trump? Trump of the "muslim ban"  Biden doesn't have the power to make Israel do a ceasefire. Why are people saying stuff like this??? This is how we get whats his name part 2....when the non-magas are all "welll I'm gonna vote 3rd party cuz...I don't love biden"

Not voting for Biden is functionally a vote for orange blob! do you not see this!! 

I just don't understand.  But I keep thinking "surely, people understand this time. SURELY"

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11

I'm so glad Nancy is laser-focused on serving her constituents. /s

• Upvote 6

Yup, you immediately recognize that particular "voice".

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Boy, he is as much of a liar as his orange master:

image.png.653f1fdc497bec9b4249de25ab7f1b09.png

• Upvote 12