IGNORED

House of Representatives 5: The Clown Caucus is Throwing Their Toys Out of The Playpen

GreyhoundFan

Jasmine told Bobulinski what she thought of him. I agree with her.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

LOL

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I love Jared:

• Upvote 9

On 3/17/2024 at 12:11 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

Why am I not surprised?

image.thumb.png.d8ef1ae4893b16bf0ef67e3ce9d16c3b.png

This is utterly disgusting, and also depressing. If anything so completely revealed how dysfunctional the government has become it is this graph. I mean yes, there is time for the second year... but even so, this is not business as usual. This is not normal.

• Upvote 9

Dr. Swalwell declares time of death.

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

Why we have to ensure the GQP is not in the majority come January.

WASHINGTON — A new budget by a large and influential group of House Republicans calls for raising the Social Security retirement age for future retirees and restructuring Medicare.

The proposals, which are unlikely to become law this year, reflect how many Republicans will seek to govern if they win the 2024 elections. And they play into a fight President Joe Biden is seeking to have with former President Donald Trump and the Republican Party as he runs for re-election.

The budget was released Wednesday by the Republican Study Committee, a group of more than 170 House GOP lawmakers, including many allies of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. Apart from fiscal policy, the budget endorses a series of bills “designed to advance the cause of life,” including the Life at Conception Act, which would aggressively restrict abortion and potentially threaten in vitro fertilization, or IVF, by establishing legal protections for human beings at “the moment of fertilization.” It has recently caused consternation within the GOP following backlash to an Alabama Supreme Court ruling that threatened IVF.

The RSC, which is chaired by Rep. Kevin Hern, R-Okla., counts among its members Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., and his top three deputies in leadership. Johnson chaired the RSC from 2019 to 2021; his office did not immediately respond when asked about the new budget.

For Social Security, the budget endorses "modest adjustments to the retirement age for future retirees to account for increases in life expectancy." It calls for lowering benefits for the highest-earning beneficiaries. And it emphasizes that those ideas are not designed to take effect immediately: "The RSC Budget does not cut or delay retirement benefits for any senior in or near retirement."

The new budget also calls for converting Medicare to a "premium support model," echoing a proposal that Republican former Speaker Paul Ryan had rallied support for. Under the new RSC plan, traditional Medicare would compete with private plans and beneficiaries would be given subsidies to shop for the policies of their choice. The size of the subsidies could be pegged to the "average premium" or "second lowest price" in a particular market, the budget says.

The plan became a flashpoint in the 2012 election, when Ryan was GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney's running mate, and President Barack Obama charged that it would "end Medicare as we know it." Ryan defended it as a way to put Medicare on better financial footing, and most of his party stood by him.

Medicare is projected to become insolvent in 2028, and Social Security will follow in 2033. After that, benefits will be forcibly cut unless more revenues are added.

Biden has blasted Republican proposals for the retirement programs, promising that he will not cut benefits and instead proposing in his recent White House budget to cover the future shortfall by raising taxes on upper earners.

The RSC budget also presents a conundrum for Trump, who has offered shifting rhetoric on Social Security and Medicare without proposing a clear vision for the future of the programs.

Notably, the RSC budget presents three possible options to address the projected insolvency of the retirement programs: raise taxes, transfer money from the general fund or reduce spending to cover the shortfall.

It rejects the first two options.

"Raising taxes on people will further punish them and burden the broader economy–something that the spend and print regime has proven to be disastrous and regressive," the budget says, adding that the committee also opposes "a multi-trillion-dollar general fund transfer that worsens our fiscal situation."

That leaves spending cuts.

The RSC budget launches blistering criticism at "Obamacare," or the Affordable Care Act, and calls for rolling back its subsidies and regulations that were aimed at extending insurance coverage.

Here's the full plan.

• Thank You 5

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Raising taxes on people will further punish them and burden the broader economy

Depends on who you raise the taxes for though really. If you actually raise them on the top 1% it has bugger all effect on the overall economy because their spending drop will still not be huge across the board. If - as conservative governments keep doing - you tax across the larger base then yes you will screw up your economy because the large group drop in spending is bigger.

Tax the 1% ffs.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

So now what?

More:

... vote series for the next two weeks.

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1

I just read this on CNN on FB, and I can't stop laughing at the insanity. I know it's not really funny, but honest to God, can the Rethugs--and MTG-- get any more bizarre? I guess we'll find out...🥴

• I Agree 8

She's not really trying to get him ousted.  He's Trump's pet after all.  She's just putting him on notice that he'd better not step over her lines.  MTG thinks she has more power than she actually has.

• Upvote 8

Comer Pyle throws in the towel on his sham hearings:

• Eyeroll 9
  • Thank You 1

Another rat is jumping ship:

image.png.ffd89a9026a19e81ed23eb6f66b8da18.png

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

image.png.84135854347eff0c5ca6b4edcfa8aa21.png

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Another rat is jumping ship:

image.png.ffd89a9026a19e81ed23eb6f66b8da18.png

image.png.71bea5f0904ffc5046a804d57907d01e.png

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 8

image.png.147fde8bdbb313230fd4ac27b416feb1.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 7

I haven't had a chance to watch these all the way through yet, so I don't know what he covers. But if you want to hear Jamie Raskin teach about the law of the land, check this series out.

Spoiler

• Thank You 7

image.png.7b0715999971b5380171e5838ffc92e2.png

• Upvote 8

Go, Lesley!

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Days after MAGA congressmen submitted a bill to change the name of Dulles Airport to TFG, this has been submitted;

image.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

Besides Trump being a piece of shit who doesn't deserve to have an airport named for him the MAGA idiots who proposed the name change are risking the wrath of . . . .

Carol Burnett!

Spoiler

• Upvote 6

I love Jared:

image.png.c1583d581005ec918e196b3a3136fd3b.png

• Haha 7

I'm always happy to have GQP hypocrisy pointed out.

image.png.22ff62afc6f3ff9c7572ca8b3e8b9809.png

• Upvote 8

On 4/8/2024 at 10:32 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm always happy to have GQP hypocrisy pointed out.

image.png.22ff62afc6f3ff9c7572ca8b3e8b9809.png

And another one:

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

And another one:

I swear if they pull this the Dems should put up a notion to reinstate all PPP- forgiven loans, with interest.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 7

but nooooo I can't have my student loans even partially forgiven, while I sit here making 65K with no benefits....oh the humanity. we can't have that!

I could have opened a totally unprofitable business selling disposable crap to fill up the land fill importing it from china and made of toxic chemicals and gotten a loan to pay for all of it, no questions asked on it being forgiven.....but god forbid that I go into a health care role and try to help disabled children....she MUST PAY!

fuck them all. just fuck them all and their manipulative shit they pull on ignorant and uneducated people.   And fuck all these millionaires and billionaires who are supporting trump so they can cash out EVEN MORE than they already have. 

• I Agree 2
  • Love 5