IGNORED

Dillards 93: Counting the Cost - Indeed

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, flowergirl said:

So if JB has Google alerts on his family, would they react everytime someone here mentions any of his children? 

I certainly hope if Jim Bob Duggar has alerts set up for his children he hears about everything being said online about himself and his convicted pedophile child predator son Joshua Duggar. I also hope he's sweating at the thought that the IRS may have enough information on him to send in a forensic accountant and find out if Anna Duggar or Jana Duggar are the "for real" holders of assets or if those are simply two of the outrageous number of shell holdings in order to show what a big, strong man he is that he's established a shit ton of shell companies to keep as much of his money hidden as possible. I hope he knows what an utter piece of shit he is and how he deserves to have every single one of his children and grandchildren go no contact with him. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 17

I thought it meant if you were trending on google, so Jill went trending when she wore pants, Josh when trending when he was arrested, the big house went trending when the whoever cops showed up. 

• Upvote 7

I was rereading Counting the Cost yesterday and something struck me. When the elder daughters wrote their book Jim Bob said there was enough money from the advance to buy them some used harps yet when Jill received a bill for the cost of her upbringing the used harp was listed. So which was it?

Not only was Jim Bob billing Jill for the cost of raising her but he billed her for spending her own money! 

From page 55, “Pops had taken care of everything, from the writer who helped us with the words to dealing with the publisher. He’d even told us that since there was an advance, he had been able to buy us some new, gently used harps.”

From page 217-218, “Here are some low numbers of what was approximately spent on Jill in the last few years: Apartment rate rent $750 x 24 months=$18,000 Utilities discounted $600 x 36=$21,600 Midwife education $5,000 Honda Pilot $9,000 Harp $15,000 Furniture $5,000 (If you don’t want the furniture, we will buy it back after 4 years of use for $3,000.) Cell phone @ $50 x 120 months=$6,000 Car insurance $50 per month x 8 years=$4,800 Vehicle fuel (8 years) x $50/month= $4,800 Eating out $100/month with family debit card for 8 years=$9,600 Clothes & Goodwill on family debit cards $1,000 per year x 8 years=$8,000 Eating at home $3 per day x 12 years=$13,140 Gift to Dillard Family Ministries $10,000 (You paid yourself a salary from this, stated there was only $1,200 left when you closed it out, so you must have eventually received it. You can refund this ministry gift, and we will give it to you directly if you want us to.) $129,940 is just the beginning of Jill’s expenses paid by Duggar family over the last several years. Most of this was made and spent on Jill before you two were married. Also, taking into account many other ways that we have spent money to help you all, for example, installing the AC in your home to El Salvador, the stove, the washing machine, etc. The total on Jill’s tax returns was $130,250. We would be willing to write a check for $20,000 to settle this once and for all.”

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 12
  • Disgust 5
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, flowergirl said:

So if JB has Google alerts on his family, would they react everytime someone here mentions any of his children? 

Nah, probably just articles 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, St.Clara said:

How is there a October 1 list? In my part of the world it is September 22.

(I do know that there is a time difference between Europe and the US but that much time?)

As the NYT says: "A version of this Best Sellers report appears in the October 1, 2023 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings on weekly lists reflect sales for the week ending September 16, 2023."

In other words, the hard copy of the best sellers list reporting sales ending September 16 will be officially published in the October 1 newspaper.  The publishing date of the hard copy of the newspaper is what determines the official date of the list.  It was posted online on Wednesday, September 20.  This is a  peculiarity of publications. It's like when Time Magazine names its Person of the Year.  They announce the winner weeks before it is officially published in the magazine. 

At least that's my understanding!  But I could be wrong. 

Edited by Baba O'Riley
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

44 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I was rereading Counting the Cost yesterday and something struck me. When the elder daughters wrote their book Jim Bob said there was enough money from the advance to buy them some used harps yet when Jill received a bill for the cost of her upbringing the used harp was listed. So which was it?

Not only was Jim Bob billing Jill for the cost of raising her but he billed her for spending her own money! 

From page 55, “Pops had taken care of everything, from the writer who helped us with the words to dealing with the publisher. He’d even told us that since there was an advance, he had been able to buy us some new, gently used harps.”

From page 217-218, “Here are some low numbers of what was approximately spent on Jill in the last few years: Apartment rate rent $750 x 24 months=$18,000 Utilities discounted $600 x 36=$21,600 Midwife education $5,000 Honda Pilot $9,000 Harp $15,000 Furniture $5,000 (If you don’t want the furniture, we will buy it back after 4 years of use for $3,000.) Cell phone @ $50 x 120 months=$6,000 Car insurance $50 per month x 8 years=$4,800 Vehicle fuel (8 years) x $50/month= $4,800 Eating out $100/month with family debit card for 8 years=$9,600 Clothes & Goodwill on family debit cards $1,000 per year x 8 years=$8,000 Eating at home $3 per day x 12 years=$13,140 Gift to Dillard Family Ministries $10,000 (You paid yourself a salary from this, stated there was only $1,200 left when you closed it out, so you must have eventually received it. You can refund this ministry gift, and we will give it to you directly if you want us to.) $129,940 is just the beginning of Jill’s expenses paid by Duggar family over the last several years. Most of this was made and spent on Jill before you two were married. Also, taking into account many other ways that we have spent money to help you all, for example, installing the AC in your home to El Salvador, the stove, the washing machine, etc. The total on Jill’s tax returns was $130,250. We would be willing to write a check for $20,000 to settle this once and for all.”

Now we know how he has money.... He reminds me of my ex in  laws--having an accounting of things, changing stories and lying on their taxes... 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

I finished the book and continue processing what I read. For being only 32 years old, Jill had a lot of ground to cover, beginning with early childhood and the SA (which is brought up at different times tho without details). Along comes 19KAC and eventually a courtship, wedding and children. Then the first scandal where Josh’s crimes were made known to the public followed closely by the Ashley Madison scandal. The Meghyaen Kelly interview. Transitioning to Counting On. The fallout after she and Derick asked JB for monetary compensation from the show. Then Josh’s arrest on downloading csam and his trial. 

While there were parts that I’d have liked Jill to expound on and some parts were a bit too vague, I’d give the book the grade of a solid B. I didn’t feel like it was Derick doing the talking. Jill took care to tell her story and not involve her siblings. She revealed more than we thought we would. I think the editor/publisher probably wanted that nice little wrap up at the end. 

I’m also processing seeing this gossip rag today while in line at the grocery store check-out. It’s one thing to be blasted online, but not sure I ever saw JB being blasted like that on the magazine rack.

IMG_0729.jpeg

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

He (JB) reminds me of my ex in  laws--having an accounting of things, changing stories and lying on their taxes... 

This is my speculation:
Back when he compiled the expenses list for Jill I wonder if he went ahead and decided to make one for all the kids so he would have the lists ready. And if he did, it wouldn't surprise me if he gave Jana the info and she had to compile and organize the lists and do the math. It would be one more manipulation to control Jana, driving into her head how grateful she should be.

• Upvote 7
  • Angry 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 2

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong - I never followed it that closely -

But the girls lawsuit was one for damages as a result of the information being released? And the court found that since there wasn't an intent to create harm and the release of information was more of a mistake situation vs malicious -  then whatever law was being cited for damages would not apply, therefore they didn't "win" the case."

And wasn't the information redacted? Wasn't the problem that it was clearly not redacted enough and to proper standards since it was obvious who it referred to?

Or did I make all that up in my imagination over the years?

And for anybody not American - In the US, you can write a "will." The will states what you want to happen with your property/money/ assets after your death. You can make it however you want. Everything to one person. All the money to one person but the sister you hated gets all your dirty socks. Whatever you want to write. In it you list an "executor" who is a trustworthy person who is in charge of making sure your will is followed after your death. My will actually has a 1st choice and then a back up executor.

The executor is also responsible for settling your final bills and debts from your assets. Often the executor is given a cut of the estate (all the money and property) like 10% of the assessed value to pay them for the effort of settling all the debts and distributing the assets.

However, you do not have to have a will and usually only people with assets will pay a lawyer to do one. If you have 1 biological child and no spouse, that child will inherit everything but will have to prove to the state that all bills are paid. It goes by individual state law, but I believe most states if there is no will, your surviving spouse will inherit everything, if no spouse then evenly divided among kids, if no kids, then cousins or aunts, etc etc.

• Upvote 3

My state allows wills to be done without the involvement of an attorney. I recently typed one up for a friend with terminal cancer. She has no spouse, and she has a complicated relationship with her only child (surrendered for adoption, reconnected decades later, and not a positive relationship). My friend wanted to name the executor, leave her daughter something small, and distribute the items she loves to the people who have loved her. She didn't want to take the chance that her biological child could lay claim to anything beyond what my friend wants to give her.

My friend is on a fixed income and couldn't afford the assistance of an attorney, so she was glad she was able to make do with me.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

However, you do not have to have a will and usually only people with assets will pay a lawyer to do one. If you have 1 biological child and no spouse, that child will inherit everything but will have to prove to the state that all bills are paid. It goes by individual state law, but I believe most states if there is no will, your surviving spouse will inherit everything, if no spouse then evenly divided among kids, if no kids, then cousins or aunts, etc etc.

My understanding is that if you die without leaving a will, the surviving spouse gets a portion and any children get the rest.  If there is no spouse or children, it goes to siblings.  I think there are different laws regarding inheritances depending upon the state in which you have lived when you die.

19 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

19 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Gift to Dillard Family Ministries $10,000 (You paid yourself a salary from this, stated there was only $1,200 left when you closed it out, so you must have eventually received it. You can refund this ministry gift, and we will give it to you directly if you want us to.) 

He even lists a gift? How low is that? 

Edited by flowergirl
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

He might try tell everyone that J.O.Y. means

Jesus first

others second

yourself last

But I think it actually means

Jim Bob first

Or

Yikes!!!

What a stunted, insecure little tyrant.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, flowergirl said:

He even lists a gift? How low is that? 

Technically the harps weren’t a gift they were bought with money the 4 eldest daughters earned writing their book. So he billed Jill for using her own money. 

• Upvote 12
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 6
  • I Agree 3

38 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Technically the harps weren’t a gift they were bought with money the 4 eldest daughters earned writing their book. So he billed Jill for using her own money. 

He just gets worse and worse, doesn’t he? 

From Jill’s book

The final straw before JB took them out of a church was seeing a Christmas program which included “female members of the youth group” dancing. That night when all the children went to bed JB told them he was sorry, “addressing us all but looking particularly at the boys. ‘You should not have had to have seen that. I was wrong to take us there tonight. We won’t be going back to that church event again.’”

I’m absolutely revolted by this. Does that mean JB got an erection at children dancing and therefore deemed it evil? God I hope his skeletons come out sooner rather than later. 

(eta, I understand how biological processes work and that erections can happen at any time for any reason and not only for sexual arousal. My disgust is that he places the blame on literal children!)

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 15

2 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

A „gift“ she didn’t even ask for!

After reading about this, I’m wondering how many other parents in TV reality and influencer land are trash. What did the Plath and Gosselin kids get? What about Shari Franke, who’s mom said all kids were kicked out at 18? What about M is For Mama‘s book? How many are claiming the money went to support „the family“ when it actually is just lining their pockets?

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

After reading about this, I’m wondering how many other parents in TV reality and influencer land are trash. What did the Plath and Gosselin kids get? What about Shari Franke, who’s mom said all kids were kicked out at 18? What about M is For Mama‘s book? How many are claiming the money went to support „the family“ when it actually is just lining their pockets?

I would venture to guess the vast majority of them are not sharing the wealth. There are no rules for reality stars, much less children on reality shows. Bethany Frankel (I think?) is trying to unionize reality shows  so that the plethora of abuses can’t continue. The kids aren’t paid unless their parents decide to set something aside for them, there are no restrictions on working hours, breaks for meals, etc. among a long list of grievances. 

It’s interesting that the first crop of kids from reality shows are starting to be old enough to speak for themselves… obviously Jill spoke out, but Kate Gosselin’s kids have also been vocal about things like how terrible it was being on the show and not having anyone step in when she was clearly being awful to Colin, having it damage their relationship with their dad, etc. I’ve also read a few articles/think pieces and seen TikTok videos from kids whose lives were chronicled on blogs, and I’ve never once seen one of them say anything positive about the experience. Utilizing your kids for income seems extremely harmful no matter how it’s set up. 

The kids from Dance Moms seem to have found their own financial successes after the show in various ways, but I can’t think of another example where it worked out OK for the kids in the end. And most of the Dance Moms girls agreed that the show was pretty emotionally challenging, but some of that (abusive coaching, feeling pressure to stay in dance after losing interest, stage parents, etc) was already in place long before the cameras showed up, and a lot of the drama was manufactured so they weren’t actually invested in it. But considering that one a success for the kids involved is pretty generous. Everyone else is struggling to even reach that bar. 

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, Giraffe said:

From Jill’s book

The final straw before JB took them out of a church was seeing a Christmas program which included “female members of the youth group” dancing. That night when all the children went to bed JB told them he was sorry, “addressing us all but looking particularly at the boys. ‘You should not have had to have seen that. I was wrong to take us there tonight. We won’t be going back to that church event again.’”

I’m absolutely revolted by this. Does that mean JB got an erection at children dancing and therefore deemed it evil? God I hope his skeletons come out sooner rather than later. 

(eta, I understand how biological processes work and that erections can happen at any time for any reason and not only for sexual arousal. My disgust is that he places the blame on literal children!)

I felt like it was about sexualizing teenage girls and how sex was forbidden to the unmarried boys. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, Giraffe said:

From Jill’s book

So many problems with how JB thinks. He immediately assumes all the boys had bad thoughts. As stated, was it because of his own bad thoughts?

He and Michelle obsessively drilled these purity mantras into their children’s young minds. Like JB telling them during Bible study that a local gas station was selling pornography. Should young kids even be made aware of porn? Shouldn’t that have been a discussion with a church group of adults who then might decide to take a stand and form a boycott? Instead, a young Josh and a couple of his brothers head up a boycott. They were children. I found that bizarre.

Then you have Michelle gathering the kids together and playing Christian music on a boom box. It’s something they enjoy. But the minute one of them starts moving their body to the music in a way she deems inappropriate, she calls them out on it and shuts it down. Music time over. It’s like blanket training in a different form. You can have the music, but one wrong move and you get punished. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Reality tv and YouTube family channels are like the Wild West of entertainment. When it comes to child actors who are actually acting on a scripted show or in movies have the Coogan laws to protect them. 100 years ago, child actors in movies had no protection. So parents forced their children to act and took all their money for themselves (Ex: Jackie Coogan). It’s the same way now 100 years later. They can do whatever they fucking please with the money they make off of the backs of their children.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2023 at 11:02 PM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

The total on Jill’s tax returns was $130,250. We would be willing to write a check for $20,000 to settle this once and for all.”

This is the part I'm questioning.  How does JBoob know that Jill's tax return was $130,250?

Did he prepare it and have her sign it?  Did he prepare it and sign it as her POA?  Did he just sign her name - i.e., forgery?  How do we or Jill know that she "made" "$130,250?"  Is there a W2 or 1099 to prove it? Is this the total of her expenses that JBoob paid for her?  Does JBoob believe that equals her "salary"?

Call me cynical, but I believe JBoob's accounting is absolutely totally completely made up out of thin air.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

I was wondering why there was no mention at all of Amy. She talks about how different she felt with other people outside the cult-I always wanted to know if Amy had any influence on them? It seems like she could have been a ally as Jill was coming out.
Are Jill and Amy close?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I was wondering why there was no mention at all of Amy. She talks about how different she felt with other people outside the cult-I always wanted to know if Amy had any influence on them? It seems like she could have been a ally as Jill was coming out.
Are Jill and Amy close?

Yes, Jill and Amy seem to be close. Amy babysits the boys for her sometimes. Amy might want to sell her own story on social media. Amy loves attention. Plus Jill said it was impossible to include everything in her book. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Illinois passed a law requiring that children of social media influencers receive a percentage of the earnings of "monetized digital environments".  Hopefully this law will catch on countrywide, and that someday reality shows will be required to do the same. 

https://fortune.com/2023/08/12/new-law-entitles-child-social-media-influencers-to-percentage-of-earnings-kidfluencers-sharenting/

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic