IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 25: Totally Surprising Inevitabilities

Bethella

49 minutes ago, WannabeHistorian said:

Sharlena Collingsworth is having #3 in December. Only one missing now is Olivia.

I think she said not too long ago that they want to wait. Her sisters and brother didn’t have kids immediately after marriage. The Collingsworths are ok with birth control. 

• Upvote 2

Alfie Timothy Gray was born to Grace Sanders Gray on Feb 16.

We also missed a couple of babies: 

Prentiss Kendall Allen had Savannah on Oct 24 2021.

Olivia Frederickson Webster had Liberty on Sept 26 2021.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I never had the blood test that told me the sex of my babies. So I’m asking you all. Isn’t the blood test more accurate than the ultrasound? Why would anyone wait until the ultrasound to confirm when the blood test is more accurate? I’m just confused by this post:

3522AEA3-6CE1-4988-B0DB-04521D8ECF07.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I never had the blood test that told me the sex of my babies. So I’m asking you all. Isn’t the blood test more accurate than the ultrasound? Why would anyone wait until the ultrasound to confirm when the blood test is more accurate? I’m just confused by this post:

You're right. The blood test is perfectly accurate. They must not understand 🤣

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

The blood test is very accurate so that makes no sense.  Unless they're being tongue in cheek like I was when the blood test told me I was having my only daughter after four boys and I told them I wouldn't believe it until I saw her with my own eyes!

Is the blood test offered to everyone now?  I did not have it with my older kids and was under the impression that insurance only covered it the last few times because I was over 35.  The main point of the blood test is to check for trisomy conditions.  Finding out the sex by presence or absence of a Y chromosome is just an added benefit and I was always asked to choose whether I wanted that information included in my results.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe they used a commercial blood test that's less accurate than what the doctors use?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 4boysmum said:

The blood test is very accurate so that makes no sense.  Unless they're being tongue in cheek like I was when the blood test told me I was having my only daughter after four boys and I told them I wouldn't believe it until I saw her with my own eyes!

Is the blood test offered to everyone now?  I did not have it with my older kids and was under the impression that insurance only covered it the last few times because I was over 35.  The main point of the blood test is to check for trisomy conditions.  Finding out the sex by presence or absence of a Y chromosome is just an added benefit and I was always asked to choose whether I wanted that information included in my results.

She’s dealt with infertility so maybe she asked for the blood test because of that. Plus these folks have tons of money so even if insurance didn’t pay, they could afford it. 

The older at home blood tests were only accurate for girls.  Not sure if that’s still the case.  Something about picking up the dna of the male in the house.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, wafton said:

I don’t think this kind of science is covered by their homeschool curriculum.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

The blood test is very accurate but not 100%. Causes why it may be inconclusive include simple things eg insufficient fetal DNA in the blood sample or more complicated circumstances  eg involving a mistranslated/abnormal/mislocated SRY gene (the gene that determines male genitalia). This gene can even be dislocated to the X chromosome which will lead to female XX genetics and male genitalia. 

Most of the pregnancies I see now have prenatal genetic testing  and  I am finding  cases where there is a discordance between the genetics and the external genitalia. 

As much as fundies want gender to be a dichotomy - the more we learn about genetics and the better our imaging gets - the more it seems that things are much more complex.

• Upvote 7

23 hours ago, wafton said:

I did both. The ultrasound is just more for the picturing of seeing that it's a boy

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She’s dealt with infertility so maybe she asked for the blood test because of that. Plus these folks have tons of money so even if insurance didn’t pay, they could afford it. 

I recently did one since my doctor recommended it- the Natera one. Even with insurance they tried to bill me $900 for the test (I think original claim to my insurance was about $6k). Upon doing research it sounds like this is a common money grab— if you call them and insist your doctor told you it was only going to cost $200, they’ll accept that as payment. 

It lined up with my anatomy scan, but I did the test for the chromosomal anomaly part. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

The blood test is very accurate but not 100%. Causes why it may be inconclusive include simple things eg insufficient fetal DNA in the blood sample or more complicated circumstances  eg involving a mistranslated/abnormal/mislocated SRY gene (the gene that determines male genitalia). This gene can even be dislocated to the X chromosome which will lead to female XX genetics and male genitalia. 

Most of the pregnancies I see now have prenatal genetic testing  and  I am finding  cases where there is a discordance between the genetics and the external genitalia. 

As much as fundies want gender to be a dichotomy - the more we learn about genetics and the better our imaging gets - the more it seems that things are much more complex.

Can previous pregnancies affect the results? I ask, because my understanding is that some of a baby's cells/DNA stay in the mother after pregnancy. I imagine it's a very small amount, but I wasn't sure if it was too small to be detectable years after the fact. For example, I have had two sons, and assuming they are both XY, would the cells/DNA potentially alter the results if became pregnant with baby with XX chromosomes?

Edited by anjulibai

Not a doctor, not an expert, so I don't *know* anything.  But I remember googling this when I had two of my sons close together.  (Surprise pregnancy with #4 when #3 was 6 months old, still exclusively breastfed, still nursing around the clock and nowhere close to sleeping through the night....)  From what I read, it sounded like the baby's DNA only sticks around for a few months.  So it could maybe affect results if you get pregnant immediately after giving birth, but probably not if your kids are born over a year apart.

• Upvote 3

Courtney has never been pregnant before. She said it in another post. So this test wouldn’t be affected by previous pregnancies. She also said she didn’t use fertility treatments. They were just focusing on being parents to Theo when she was surprised by the pregnancy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Can previous pregnancies affect the results

short term answer: I don't think so  - I think the cell sample size from the prior pregnancy would be too small or be mostly in organs like the liver

longerterm answer: maybe - as genetic screening becomes more common place and the science advances  this might eventually prove to be of some clinical significance

3 hours ago, 4boysmum said:

baby's DNA only sticks around for a few months

The more people study it, the more "microchimerism" between mother and baby seems to take place and the longer it seems to last. Studies have found fetal DNA found in maternal organs decades after the pregnancy and  maternal DNA has been found in children years after birth.  But the science is growing and who knows what future research will bring in

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Anastasia Salyer Silberman had Geneva Clare on July 9th. I’m surprised she didn’t go with Genesis instead of Geneva. Both “Gen” names. But one is biblical. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

Nicole and Ricky Randle had their sixth, a boy, yesterday. Barron Holmes Randle.  6lbs 4oz. 19.5inches 

• Thank You 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anastasia Salyer Silberman had Geneva Clare on July 9th. I’m surprised she didn’t go with Genesis instead of Geneva. Both “Gen” names. But one is biblical. 

John Calvin was from Geneva in Switzerland, so I have always assumed that's what made it a name choice for some Protestants.  I actually think it's a really pretty name and would have considered it because it's one that appears in my family tree. But my husband is Catholic, we're raising the kids Catholic, and I thought it would be weird to give a Catholic baby a very Protestant name.  (Not that most people would probably notice or care.  But my husband is Irish and maybe we pay more attention to Catholic/Protestant nuances than most.  I am neither of those, for the record.)

Edited by 4boysmum
  • Upvote 3

On her IG, Francesca Morton presents herself has "Abram's mama"... 

Edited by Eleonore Peyrac
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

20 hours ago, Eleonore Peyrac said:

On her IG, Francesca Morton presents herself has "Abram's mama"... 

So many of the older Morton sons named their oldest sons after themselves. But it seems the younger Morton sons aren’t following that pattern. I love the name Edwin. If I’d had a 3rd son, he would have been Edwin and I would have nicknamed him Win. Maybe he’s Abram Edwin Morton. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

On 7/19/2023 at 1:19 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So many of the older Morton sons named their oldest sons after themselves. But it seems the younger Morton sons aren’t following that pattern. I love the name Edwin. If I’d had a 3rd son, he would have been Edwin and I would have nicknamed him Win. Maybe he’s Abram Edwin Morton. 

Or Edwin Abram? Doesn't Darth have an Edwin as well? Maybe like all the Williams?

• Upvote 3

Just now, lexiloumarie said:

Or Edwin Abram? Doesn't Darth have an Edwin as well? Maybe like all the Williams?

Yes, there are a lot of name repeats in the Morton family. It’s probably good that he’s named Abram. Less confusing that way. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Seeking said:

Wait, what- Darth as in Vader? 😂 

Her name is Dorothy but they always called her Darth. I bet it’s a nickname from childhood. 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic