IGNORED

Catholic Maryland Abuse Scandals

Bluebirdbluebell

Yet here we are: 

Maryland's top prosecutor accused Catholic Church officials in Baltimore on Wednesday of engaging in a yearslong cover-up of the sexual abuse of 600-plus children, some of whom were “preyed upon by multiple abusers over decades."

State Attorney General Anthony Brown chronicled the abuse in a 463-page report that named several priests and described what they are alleged to have done.

In total, the state found, more than "600 children are known to have been abused by the 156 people included in this Report, but the number is likely far higher."

The report said certain parishes were bases of multiple abusers, such as St. Mark Parish in Catonsville, where, it said, 11 child abusers lived and worked from 1964 to 2004.

Here's a link to the article I got the above quotes. 

• Thank You 5

Thank you for this.  I'd hope the Catholic Church would be required to relinquish all of their assets to form a trust to pay for therapy for these victims and their families plus lump sums for damages for the victims. 

It's simply beyond horrible how this has gone on and on everywhere.  Were young men being groomed in Catholic seminaries to become abusers?  Was there an abuser pipeline? 

You would think the Church would do everything possible to understand how their priests became a force of evil, literally wolves among the lambs.  They were PROTECTED and then sent to prey on new innocents in another flock when exposed.   

I'm sure there's more awareness now, but 100%  probability this is still going on. The "celibate" priesthood is an institutional evil woven into the fabric of the Church. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Thank you for this.  I'd hope the Catholic Church would be required to relinquish all of their assets to form a trust to pay for therapy for these victims and their families plus lump sums for damages for the victims. 

I agree with you, but in a perfect world I'd take it one step further and just have the official Catholic Church fold completely.  If they all want to keep serving out of the goodness of their hearts, they can do so.  Feed them and put a roof over their heads, nothing more.  Let them put their money where their mouth is, literally, and live like St. Francis and St. Clare.  Or pull a St. Mary of Egypt and go live in the freaking desert for 40 years repenting for their horrific, generational sins.

Look at the credits of the movie Spotlight.  There are literally thousands and thousands of victims all over the world.  Even with their billions, there isn't enough money in the coffers for them to pay everyone what they deserve.  It's madness.  And no doubt, it's been going on for many centuries.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, Howl said:

I'd hope the Catholic Church would be required to relinquish all of their assets to form a trust to pay for therapy for these victims and their families plus lump sums for damages for the victims.

Then remove their tax-exempt status.  I doubt even the most marginally decent sort of deity would want to be represented by that.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile the church is dealing with important issues (link to Patheos article).

From Patheos:

Father Kevin M. Cusick, LCDR, wrote: “Ladies, a priest I know was forced on Sunday to ask a woman at Mass to cover her shoulders. Please help the priest to protect the purity of the men at holy Mass by choosing to dress modestly. The alternative is awkward for all involved. Thank you.”

.Yes, the crime of a woman wearing a sleeveless garment is what's wrong with the church!!! 

• Angry 4
  • Disgust 3

@Bluebirdbluebell, my sister was the organist at my former parish a few years ago. She was at the church to play for a wedding, and when the bride showed up in a strapless dress, the priest flat-out refused to let her walk down the aisle! Everything got halted as someone ran home to get her a decent-looking coverup, and the poor girl practically melted down. By contrast, at another parish around the same time, my daughter wore a strapless gown and the priest there never batted an eye.

Any older Catholics/former Catholics here will likely remember a teaching about “custody of the eyes.” It means, “If you think looking at something will lead you to sin, *don’t fucking look at it*.” It stems from “If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out.”

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 3