IGNORED

Jackson and Emerson: Here We Go Yet Again

Coconut Flan

How about Son-Son for this couple? They look like a copy of any Bates couple, just younger. So repetitive.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:20 PM, EmiSue said:

One of the Bates girls needs to name a baby Beige.

I could see a Greige/Grayje/Grage!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I could see a Greige/Grayje/Grage!

I'd also like to see an "Ecru"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Scrabblemaster said:

How about Son-Son for this couple? They look like a copy of any Bates couple, just younger. So repetitive.  

I’m sort of surprised there have been zero redheads marrying into the Bates or Duggar families. It’s a ton of white people so you would think a redhead might pop in somewhere. And yes I’m aware non white people can be redheads. It’s just that the chances are higher in white populations. And no one even dyes their hair red! Many lighten their hair to blonde but no one is going red. Maybe that’s why so many look alike. A redhead (even a dyed one) would shake things up a bit. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m sort of surprised there have been zero redheads marrying into the Bates or Duggar families. It’s a ton of white people so you would think a redhead might pop in somewhere. And yes I’m aware non white people can be redheads. It’s just that the chances are higher in white populations. And no one even dyes their hair red! Many lighten their hair to blonde but no one is going red. Maybe that’s why so many look alike. A redhead (even a dyed one) would shake things up a bit. 

Ive been wanting some diversity in the family as well. I know it's not going to be racial, but a girl that isn't a size 2 or someone that just has an original look. I've been dying for a goth fundie. 

• WTF 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Cripes, and one of the only items on the list so far is a $700 espresso machine. So on brand. I've never been married so I'm not sure how I would handle a registry, but I'd think VERY hard about requesting such a pricey item. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

Oh look, it's fundie-level soon (while still an *actually reasonable time frame* for ordering/altering a wedding dress, if she picked hers right after engagement) lol I am quite curious where they'll live. I remember it was a big question mark around the Nesther wedding & I was surprised to see them end up parking their camper in AR, but I suppose SonSon could also end up in AR if that's where he decides to keep working

47 minutes ago, Margarita said:

Cripes, and one of the only items on the list so far is a $700 espresso machine. So on brand. I've never been married so I'm not sure how I would handle a registry, but I'd think VERY hard about requesting such a pricey item. 

They’ve been engaged for 5 minutes, she is a teenager in college, and she has already registered for a $700 espresso machine. Sorry I just can’t roll my eyes hard enough. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 12

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

I registered for some expensive items but my husband comes from a family of European immigrants and wedding/shower gifts are expected to be grand (there is a very reciprocal culture, my MIL kept a detailed list of who gave what) and while they give cash for weddings, they give gifts for the shower. And I have wealthy relatives (multiple generational white Canadians) who think cash is tacky but want to give expensive wedding gifts. So we put whatever we could think of on the registry and got most of it. I only had two items over $500 CDN though, a set of pots (bought by my husband's godparents)  and a KitchenAid Mixer (which my mom bought).

The wife of one of my dad's friends made a huge scene at one of our pre-wedding parties because she was drunk and in a fight with her husband and she felt embarrassed and ended up buying a couple of the larger items off my registry as an apology. 

Also most places do completion discounts, so it is a great place to put expensive items because if no one gets it for, you can buy it yourself at a discount. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 9

2 hours ago, raayx01 said:

Ive been wanting some diversity in the family as well. I know it's not going to be racial, but a girl that isn't a size 2 or someone that just has an original look. I've been dying for a goth fundie. 

Tiffy might be as diverse as the Bates ever get. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

53 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I registered for some expensive items but my husband comes from a family of European immigrants and wedding/shower gifts are expected to be grand (there is a very reciprocal culture, my MIL kept a detailed list of who gave what) and while they give cash for weddings, they give gifts for the shower. And I have wealthy relatives (multiple generational white Canadians) who think cash is tacky but want to give expensive wedding gifts. So we put whatever we could think of on the registry and got most of it. I only had two items over $500 CDN though, a set of pots (bought by my husband's godparents)  and a KitchenAid Mixer (which my mom bought).

The wife of one of my dad's friends made a huge scene at one of our pre-wedding parties because she was drunk and in a fight with her husband and she felt embarrassed and ended up buying a couple of the larger items off my registry as an apology. 

Also most places do completion discounts, so it is a great place to put expensive items because if no one gets it for, you can buy it yourself at a discount. 

Same, my Italian grandmother still has a list from my parents’ wedding of how much money each guest gave. She would refer back to the list to know how much to then give as a gift for their weddings. It’s not something I would do, but very much the norm in their culture! 

Edited by Keys
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

10 hours ago, Keys said:

Same, my Italian grandmother still has a list from my parents’ wedding of how much money each guest gave. She would refer back to the list to know how much to then give as a gift for their weddings. It’s not something I would do, but very much the norm in their culture! 

The above! I work with a girl who's family is apparently like this and OMG the size of the gifts for the shower were obscene. She was actually upset that 4 people went in together on a top of the line washer & dryer set! The damn things were basically $2k before taxes and this was for the shower, not even the wedding!

The couple of us from work were in shock that she complained (this was back in the office and at least not at the shower) and we buy family large gifts (sometimes in combo to get something they really want) & cash for weddings, but, this was not even in the realm of sanity!

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

My 30€ bialetti espresso maker for the stove and my 10€ coffee bean grinder from eBay are pretty happy that I did not know, that I could have wished for a 700$ espresso machine for our wedding. That is ridiculously expensive. 

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Interesting about the -son names. I didn’t realise, but Madison means “Matthew’s son”. I just think of it as more of a girl’s name than a boy’s one. It’s much more popular in the US than here in the UK.

I still laugh at The Markles giving their son Harrison as a middle name. Very soap opera-ish.  UK soap emmerdale had a character called  Sam who named his son Samson. I immediately thought of this when baby Markles name was published. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Keys said:

That’s actually what we did after our parents advised us too. Money for weddings is the norm here. Not outrageously much, mind you. (Everything between 50€ and 350€ is absolutely fine - depending on your situation and how close you are. I don’t think I would spend more than 200€ for anyone but my own children and we are living comfortably and ordinary. It’s still very good money. No extra spending on clothes, hair, showers needed. Some weddings seem to add up to ridiculous amounts for the guests.)

The list is not important if we get invited to weddings of close relatives or friends. We married young- so the gifts from our friends were definitely less expensive as we were all still in the university. I have no hard feeling to gift something with a higher price tag than I got then because we have a different living situation now. 
But for the daughter of the cousin of my father (whatever that’s to me) I most definitely check what their parents spend on us and this will help to determine how much we spend now. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

I still laugh at The Markles giving their son Harrison as a middle name. Very soap opera-ish.  UK soap emmerdale had a character called  Sam who named his son Samson. I immediately thought of this when baby Markles name was published. 

I don't like Harrison as the middle name. His surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, already indicating that he is part of Harry's family. Meghanson or Markle would have been better. I don't know, Mountbatten-Windsor kinda already signals that he is Harry's. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I don't like Harrison as the middle name. His surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, already indicating that he is part of Harry's family. Meghanson or Markle would have been better. I don't know, Mountbatten-Windsor kinda already signals that he is Harry's. 

Harry’s name is Henry so I think Henry as a middle name would be nice too. 

• Upvote 3

Wedding website is up but still under construction: https://www.theknot.com/us/emerson-wells-and-jackson-bates-oct-2023

Wedding party could be interesting. She has a smaller family than he does.

I'll assume 6 adult attendants. 

Her MOH will be her sister, I bet her SIL will be a bridesmaid plus she has a female cousin her age, probably a friend or two, and definitely Addallee. 

A brother as best man, not sure who he is closest too. James Duggar, probably Nate Wissman. Maybe one of Emerson's brothers? And then round out with a few brothers. Will be interesting if Zach is included or not since he had said no in the past. 

Some combo of the Webster girls will be the Flower girls, maybe Allie + Maci to pair with Bradley and Jadon (as Zach was at the engagement). Or Emerson's baby nephew. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

That’s actually what we did after our parents advised us too. Money for weddings is the norm here. Not outrageously much, mind you. (Everything between 50€ and 350€ is absolutely fine - depending on your situation and how close you are. I don’t think I would spend more than 200€ for anyone but my own children and we are living comfortably and ordinary. It’s still very good money. No extra spending on clothes, hair, showers needed. Some weddings seem to add up to ridiculous amounts for the guests.)

The list is not important if we get invited to weddings of close relatives or friends. We married young- so the gifts from our friends were definitely less expensive as we were all still in the university. I have no hard feeling to gift something with a higher price tag than I got then because we have a different living situation now. 
But for the daughter of the cousin of my father (whatever that’s to me) I most definitely check what their parents spend on us and this will help to determine how much we spend now. 

Same here… it’s the norm to give cash gifts only for weddings, and generally you give enough to cover the cost of your plate plus more for the couple to save or spend. How much more we give depends on how close we are to them (like a close family member vs more distant family friend). We did make the list for our wedding because my mom wanted us to, haha. But we don’t use it to see how much to give to others. We were just happy people attended!

For showers, in our culture they’re very much still viewed as setting up the couple and their home. Hence registry with household items, and that’s what you give as a gift. My mom has had some gripes over showers where the couple already has a house and has lived together for years, and request cash only for the shower or other items. She feels that you shouldn’t have a shower if you already have everything you need for your house. But I think it’s shifting to more of a celebration for the bride, since it’s more the norm for people to live together before getting married :) 

Weddings can definitely be expensive to attend, especially with all the events around them. Let alone if you’re in the bridal party!!!

• Upvote 1

Showers in my culture and my husband's are very different. I remember panicking when my MIL showed me the dress she expected me to wear to my shower and then frantically messaging all my bridesmaids who were attending the shower and telling them "dress up". Showers in my circle are generally in a church hall, finger foods, dressy casual (sundresses, etc.) 

In my husband's circle they are formal meals, with lots of guests and very dressy. 

• Upvote 2

I am incredibly grateful we don’t do showers. If people need something (new household items, baby stuff) that’s covered with the 1 gift they get (money or stuff). Definitely not several gifts around the same occasion. A hen do at a spa or a weekend city trip is like the ultimate second “gift” if you want. Anything else is deemed greedy.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I am incredibly grateful we don’t do showers. If people need something (new household items, baby stuff) that’s covered with the 1 gift they get (money or stuff). Definitely not several gifts around the same occasion. A hen do at a spa or a weekend city trip is like the ultimate second “gift” if you want. Anything else is deemed greedy.

Looking back the number of wedding events we had seems excessive but it is totally the norm in my circles. 

We had two showers (one from each side), we each had a bachelor/bachelorette party and then we had a Jack and Jill (a very small town Ontario thing. It is a party where people pay a ticket cost and then come celebrate the happy couple, mostly they serve as something to do in small towns where there are no bars etc and you will get people who barely know the couple as well as close friends) 

• Love 1