IGNORED

Erin and Chad 10: Will they homeschool?

samurai_sarah

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I prefer wood because it’s warmer and it hides dirt. So I like wood trim, wood kitchen cabinets, wood doors. White shows everything. The dust, scuffs, and fingerprint smudges. I don’t really mind Shiplap if it was original to the house. But I’m not a fan of putting it in a new build or in a home that was built in 1960 in the Midwest. I feel like it just does not go with the home. And barn doors go in no home. They are for barns. Not homes. They look great in barns. 

For that reason, I love white kitchen cabinets. If there is dirt in the kitchen, I want to see and clean it ASAP. 

Anyway, wood floors and furtinure show the dust too. Only honey-wood hides it. But if the wood is slightly dark, it can be worse than a white one.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, freethemall said:

That just means they're back in their homeschool workbooks. Most fundies refer to homeschool as just "school". She is pretty dedicated to homeschooling, I think we all know the thread title is rhetorical bc there's no doubt she's diehard about it.

Has anyone noticed the more fundie they've gotten the more extreme her makeup has gotten? Like she's going back to her original fundie days, though with a bit less of a beehive, but almost Tammy Baker style with the frosted eyeshadow.

I think Jill did the same with her makeup. When she first got married she didn’t wear a ton of make up. Now she wears so much. It just got thicker and thicker over the years. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So what’s the point of that barn door? I guarantee they never actually use it. It’s just for looks. Which is such a waste. Plus it’s ugly. That trend will go out of fashion very soon and then what. 

It can't be too soon for me! Barn doors are used to scream !!!!RUSTIC!!!!  Incredibly impractical anywhere in a residence. My friends had a room in lovely old stone building converted to a hotel. It had a  barn door TO THE BATHROOM. I was already convinced barn doors were impractical and awful and that sealed the deal. 

• Upvote 5

I was at a private party at a contemporary Italian restaurant yesterday in a separate room. It had two tall barn doors that looked impractical to ever close because the servers needed to use that entrance and the bathrooms were on the other side too. So the doors were always open, but they did look nice.

I added a photo of the room I found online.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.3c23f07ab9878dd1ef1f661043947ee2.jpeg

Edited by JDuggs
Found a pic
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Keys said:

Wow, I had no idea how much hate there is for barn doors lol… here we are about to install one for our front hallway closet 😂 

I imagine Erin is just happy to have a house. I doubt she's that concerned about a barn door in her living room. 

13 hours ago, Keys said:

Wow, I had no idea how much hate there is for barn doors lol… here we are about to install one for our front hallway closet 😂 

I love barn doors, shiplap, and monochromatic beige decor. It's all about loving your home. Enjoy your door! 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

Our house is a 1980s, very open concept, tall (3 floors) and narrow house on a postage stamp beach lot. All that to say we have very few walls that are not impacted by windows, stair cases etc. So we have to have barn and pocket doors. Everything is very tight.I guess when this house was built, it was all about fitting in as much as possible on a tight lot. As we’ve remodeled (bought home in 2009), we’ve had to use what would fit. And parking, don’t talk about parking. How I miss the days of the country home with the circular driveway and 4 car garage. I do not miss cleaning or heating/cooling that home though.

• Upvote 2

When I was in vet school, I owned a trailer and there was a lovely barn door hung on the wall as an accent in the kitchen.  The prior owner had welded together a bunch of horse shoes to make a pot rack for hanging all the pots and pans.  I do not care for horses much and never wanted to go into equine medicine, but I did love the personal touch it brought.

Life was pretty simple in that trailer once I met my husband and I do miss it at times.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ireland Baldwin announced that she will be naming her baby girl Holland to maintain the country name theme with her own name, because she likes the actress Holland Taylor and she thinks it sounds classy.  She doesn’t mention any affinity for the actual country.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Ireland Baldwin announced that she will be naming her baby girl Holland to maintain the country name theme with her own name, because she likes the actress Holland Taylor and she thinks it sounds classy.  She doesn’t mention any affinity for the actual country.

I’m ok with place names but I typically like when there’s a connection. Like having a very special vacation or honeymoon in Holland or something. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m ok with place names but I typically like when there’s a connection. Like having a very special vacation or honeymoon in Holland or something. 

I agree. I seem to remember Ireland Baldwin being named that because of the beauty of the country or something. Alec and Hilaria should have named one of theirs Spain.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

I really liked the name Savannah, but my connection was a book character not the city. Although the book character was named for the place 😂

• Haha 1

So Erin finished Carson's room. It is nice but looks more like a teenagers room than a 7.5 year old's. Still after all those years in a room with his sisters, I bet he likes the space. 

Finley is in the closet 😂. It is a big closet and they hung a door and the crib and stuff fits, I assume it is not a long term solution but it gives Carson some privacy.

Erin also mentioned that Papa Bill had been in the hospital and she went down to see him Carson (none of the girls wanted to make the 7.5 hour drive) and to help out. 

Edited by CanadianMamam

17 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

So Erin finished Carson's room. It is nice but looks more like a teenagers room than a 7.5 year old's. Still after all those years in a room with his sisters, I bet he likes the space. 

Finley is in the closet 😂. It is a big closet and they hung a door and the crib and stuff fits, I assume it is not a long term solution but it gives Carson some privacy.

Erin also mentioned that Papa Bill had been in the hospital and she went down to see him Carson (none of the girls wanted to make the 7.5 hour drive) and to help out. 

Wonder if Michaela also made the trip from TN? Didn’t she mention that she went to nursing school so she could help out with her aging relatives? Has she done that yet? I know she likes to babysit. Michaela would seem like a better choice to help as she doesn’t have 5, young kids and a full homeschool schedule. Also, she is an LPN-

• Upvote 4

Just now, SassyPants said:

Wonder if Michaela also made the trip from TN? Didn’t she mention that she went to nursing school so she could help out with her aging relatives? Has she done that yet? I know she likes to babysit. Michaela would seem like a better choice to help as she doesn’t have 5, young kids and a full homeschool schedule. Also, she is an LPN-

She did make a few trips to help care for Kelly's mom before she passed. Not sure if she has helped out with Papa Bill yet. But with Michaela it is hard to know because she is generally pretty quiet about her comings and goings unless it involves her nieces and nephews.

Carson’s room doesn’t look like a teenager’s room. It looks like a bland guest room for adults. It’s the most boring 7 year old’s room I’ve ever seen. She hung a large painting that you would find in a hotel lobby. It’s that generic. But he was allowed to make a drawing to hang in the bedroom. But Erin picked out the colored pencils. All brownish earth tones. No bright colors allowed. She’s so controlling even of the picture he makes for his own bedroom wall. If a stranger walked into that room, they would never guess it was a room for a 7 year old. And then they would be shocked to find a baby crib in a closet. Erin is awful but since she has a cute and seemingly happy family, people give her a huge pass. She’s just as fundie and controlling as all the others. She just wraps it in prettier packaging. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Her controlling nature definitely sliooed through when she was talking about the importance of contrast and how she makes sure every detail is perfect. 

My kids do not care about contrast or little details. Plus half the time their stuff is everywhere so the details would all be lost. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Michael did post while all the Bateses were in Colorado that she and Brandon were visiting Bill and Jane. She didn’t mention him being ill or in the hospital at that time.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I was honestly speechless when she picked out the colours for Carson's drawing so they would match the room. Poor kid is allowed creativity only within the limits she sets for him. And I'm sure she also picked the books for his shelf based on the colours of their covers. Sigh. All looks, no substance. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

Just now, Nothing if not critical said:

All looks, no substance. 

I swear this describes 90% of the Bateses. 

my fridge is a hot mess of drawings and art projects from my kids. The window ledge above my kitchen sink is covered in weird little clay figures made by my kids. I love their creativity so much. None of it matches and most wouldn’t see the faces or bodies of the drawings. But I love them. It makes our house a home. Not a model home. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

26 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Michael did post while all the Bateses were in Colorado that she and Brandon were visiting Bill and Jane. She didn’t mention him being ill or in the hospital at that time.

Michaela is a better matriarch than Kelly. Kelly’s all about getting her grown kids to provide train trips and fancy dinners. Who does that? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Michaela is a better matriarch than Kelly. Kelly’s all about getting her grown kids to provide train trips and fancy dinners. Who does that? 

Michael was trained well by Kelly. She was the second mom in that family. Potty training all her younger siblings. 

• Sad 1

Carson’s room doesn’t look like a teenager’s room. It looks like a bland guest room for adults. It’s the most boring 7 year old’s room I’ve ever seen. She hung a large painting that you would find in a hotel lobby. It’s that generic. But he was allowed to make a drawing to hang in the bedroom. But Erin picked out the colored pencils. All brownish earth tones. No bright colors allowed. She’s so controlling even of the picture he makes for his own bedroom wall. If a stranger walked into that room, they would never guess it was a room for a 7 year old. And then they would be shocked to find a baby crib in a closet. Erin is awful but since she has a cute and seemingly happy family, people give her a huge pass. She’s just as fundie and controlling as all the others. She just wraps it in prettier packaging. 

This is another reason these fundies isolate their kids from other children and adults. They do not want their kids to know that people, even kids, have some choices in life. Can you imagine being so controlling that you can’t let your kid pick out his own colors for his own project?  How do they ever expect these people to grow up and make adult, critical decisions in a healthy manner. She is not teaching them a damn thing. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Michael was trained well by Kelly. She was the second mom in that family. Potty training all her younger siblings. 

And did it never occur to Kelly that when you’re turfing all the childcare, education and homemaking to your daughters, YOU are not really all that great of a mother, teacher, or homemaker, and maybe it’s time to close the reproductive factory? 

• Upvote 6

Am I the only one shocked by the baby in the closet? I understand that a baby does match the aesthetic, but still.

Will Finlay stand for that? My one year old would have screamed bloody murder. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic