IGNORED

Erin and Chad 10: Will they homeschool?

samurai_sarah

I love the episode of “30 Rock” with Jon Hamm. He’s so good looking that he’s never had to achieve anything in life. He got away with so much because of his pretty face. And he was actually really stupid and completely useless as a person. But everyone forgave his blunders and problems because of his good looks. I like that Jon Hamm is so good at making fun of himself. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ok so if Carson likes to draw, Erin should have hung up a cork board or something to display his work. And what else does Carson like? It seems like they all enjoy animals. Why couldn’t Erin find a painting with animals instead? I’m just so baffled that she basically put no thought into what Carson actually likes. 

She's been trying to do that stupid art corner with markers and pencils in cups since Kade's room when Tori and Bobby were in Hendersonville. She did the same thing there with books she found at a thrift store that weren't even children's books. Completely age inappropriate unless you're reading Moby Dick to a newborn. Then there were the chairs in Kade's nursery that were for a toddler. He wasn't even freaking born yet. They spent so much time building the shelf for the baskets. Then filmed it with the baskets empty. Poor Carson apparently doesn't get to play with toys.

Her new obsession with decorating is using the closet as something other than a closet. In Tori's house she turned the closet in Kade and Kolter's room into desk space. Now she's got a baby in the closet. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She's been trying to do that stupid art corner with markers and pencils in cups since Kade's room when Tori and Bobby were in Hendersonville. She did the same thing there with books she found at a thrift store that weren't even children's books. Completely age inappropriate unless you're reading Moby Dick to a newborn. Then there were the chairs in Kade's nursery that were for a toddler. He wasn't even freaking born yet. They spent so much time building the shelf for the baskets. Then filmed it with the baskets empty. Poor Carson apparently doesn't get to play with toys.

Her new obsession with decorating is using the closet as something other than a closet. In Tori's house she turned the closet in Kade and Kolter's room into desk space. Now she's got a baby in the closet. 

The way Erin lives is just so foreign to me. I’m not saying my way is best. Because we have too many damn toys! But it’s better than having practically none! I bet she encourages his drawing because it’s a quiet and clean activity he can do alone. But she would probably never let him get into painting or clay sculpting. 

• Upvote 3

It's enlightening to hear you guys says Erin is so pretty. Not that I usually think about it but I've never thought of her as any other than generic wears a lot of make up and does fancy hair young person. I have thought she looked nice the few times she wasn't wearing her spackle. But just fresh faced. Not gorgeous.

Anyway,

I think she's not really reached her JillR zenith. I think JillR was already waaaaaay down the creepy-disturbing path with a higher # of children mixed with sketchy religious grifting that brought a lot more negative attention. And the David JillR combo is especially....unpleasant. David's laziness is just sooooooo repellent.

Chad's work ethic brings some.bonus points to the table

I dont have a huge problem with small house and not many toys. Her kids are at least obviously able to access and enjoy the outdoors and in most the world people don't have 2k Sq foot starter homes or even later on homes and it's fine.

What I hate for her girls is the obvious and extreme preference for Carson.

Carson gets this room for himself (minus closet). Carson gets the make over (whether he liked it or not). Carson goes on trip with mom.

Sure supposedly the others didn't want to go...but 1 I don't buy it and 2  maybe they were happy to have some mom/Carson free time.

Why wouldn't you prioritize the room housing the most people? Are the girls still sleeping on the floor? Why do a 100% complete bedroom redecorating when you should maybe get all kids a basically functioning room first?

• Upvote 12

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The way Erin lives is just so foreign to me. I’m not saying my way is best. Because we have too many damn toys! But it’s better than having practically none! I bet she encourages his drawing because it’s a quiet and clean activity he can do alone. But she would probably never let him get into painting or clay sculpting. 

I just went and looked at the episode where she decorates the room for Kade. Tori and Bobby had bought or received stuffed animals and baby toys that were in the room. There was a large stuffed bear that could sit on the floor, etc. Erin's "design" included no toys whatsoever. She had thick chapter books on the windowsill and two toddler chairs. No chair for Tori to sit in and rock him to sleep. I get that they were going to double the room up as a guest room, but it is a freaking nursery. The best I can say is that she put black contact squares on the wall and there were blue letters spelling out his name. Otherwise...

My kids have too many toys too. We have a bonus room that I made into the play room. Bigger toys that they share go in there. All the board games, puzzles, etc. The kitchen set and the racecar track are in there. We even put the extra television and game console in there to keep it from the living room. But their rooms are individual spaces with their dolls, stuffed animals, and items that aren't for sharing. Their rooms are tight spaces so I didn't want them too cluttered but I wanted them to be their spaces. In terms of color I let them pick what they wanted. Repainting their room is on their reward system (neither have chosen that yet). We put clothes in the closet and dresser.

Where are his clothes? In the drawers under his bed? He can't even hang clothes in the closet? 

And you're right. She has decided he is the artist. Never mind what he wants to do. He'll never be allowed to do something messy or loud. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

I’m starting to think that maybe she’s doing the family closet thing? Does she have a decent sized laundry room? I can’t remember. I wouldn’t be surprised if she did a family closet for the kids in the laundry room because she doesn’t want to put away clothes in their rooms. 

• Upvote 1

I assume he's the artist because he's Erin Jr. And Erin was the (musical) artist in her family. I never see men playing piano in these families.  So I guess he can be the drawing artist instead.

I think Chad is actually.the artist. Functional art! Haha.

But hey. I tried to make a shelf....it er....leaned...a lot

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m starting to think that maybe she’s doing the family closet thing? Does she have a decent sized laundry room? I can’t remember. I wouldn’t be surprised if she did a family closet for the kids in the laundry room because she doesn’t want to put away clothes in their rooms. 

At least in Tennessee she did bins under their beds, one for each kid. 

• Thank You 1

Wasn't the laundry like a closet off the dining area? In the house tour. If my memory serves it wasn't very big. But small kids clothes aren't that big?

In Erin’s house tour video, she didn’t show the laundry room because it wasn’t presentable yet. The four girls each had three bins in the girls room closet for their clothes which doesn’t seem like nearly enough space. The girls room currently has one set of bunk beds and a mattress on the floor for Holland. In the video about Carson’s room, Erin said the girls room was a bigger project, so they wanted to start with the smaller project (Carson’s room).

16 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I assume he's the artist because he's Erin Jr. And Erin was the (musical) artist in her family. I never see men playing piano in these families. 

Lawson has posted a couple of videos on IG recently of himself playing piano. And Erin just gave him their old piano when they moved. Lawson mentioned that each of his siblings had to take at least two years of piano lessons. I believe Bobby plays piano too. And I assume Travis plays at least a little.

I think Carson is very good at piano. I hope that Erin is trying to encourage it in her girls also even if they’re not as good as Carson.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

1 minute ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Wasn't the laundry like a closet off the dining area? In the house tour. If my memory serves it wasn't very big. But small kids clothes aren't that big?

I looked back on the video she did when they announced they found a house. It is a small laundry room - basically a closet. That's better than what they did have with a washer and dryer in the kitchen. Back in Tennessee, there were two small closets in the kids' room. She halfed them so each of the older four had either the top or bottom of a closet. Doesn't look like she hangs clothes for the kids. Maybe because it would take too much time? The only drawers in Carson's room seem to pull out from under his bed where there would normally be a trundle. That would get old quick for me having to pull that out every day to find my clothing. Not to mention how wrinkled things would get. 

Back in Tennessee the kids each had a plastic bin with toys. I get that Erin and her siblings were basically told to stay out of their bedrooms during the day - no cameras in the bedrooms so no accountability. However, it seems when you live in a small place (her new house is bigger but by no means huge), you would want everything to be livable space. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

In Erin’s house tour video, she didn’t show the laundry room because it wasn’t presentable yet. The four girls each had three bins in the girls room closet for their clothes which doesn’t seem like nearly enough space. The girls room currently has one set of bunk beds and a mattress on the floor for Holland. In the video about Carson’s room, Erin said the girls room was a bigger project, so they wanted to start with the smaller project (Carson’s room).

Lawson has posted a couple of videos on IG recently of himself playing piano. And Erin just gave him their old piano when they moved. Lawson mentioned that each of his siblings had to take at least two years of piano lessons. I believe Bobby plays piano too. And I assume Travis plays at least a little.

I think Carson is very good at piano. I hope that Erin is trying to encourage it in her girls also even if they’re not as good as Carson.

Ah I missed all that. Other than professional players I couldn't think of any time I've seen fundie guys playing. But I dont follow them all.

Has Erin talked about teaching her kids to play? (Haven't followed her much til recently)

8 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Ah I missed all that. Other than professional players I couldn't think of any time I've seen fundie guys playing. But I dont follow them all.

Has Erin talked about teaching her kids to play? (Haven't followed her much til recently)

She's shown videos of Carson playing. Said something about how he played each evening and they all enjoyed it.

• Thank You 1

My house is so beige the Bates girls would be drooling- but my kids had free rein in their rooms growing up. We've had electric blue, turquoise, purple, lavender, yellow, and pink over the years. When they were growing up, those peel and stick appliqués were so popular. Animals, flowers, polka dots, they had it all. Even their bedding was up to them. The only thing I got freaky about was the window treatments since they could be seen from outside, so I hung wide white wooden blinds and then later beige pull-down roman shades.  Her kids must be so stifled. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She's shown videos of Carson playing. Said something about how he played each evening and they all enjoyed it.

I’m not surprised he plays piano since he’s obviously her favorite. Boys in fundie land play guitar, banjo, and violin. It seems like more females play the harp and piano. 

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not surprised he plays piano since he’s obviously her favorite. Boys in fundie land play guitar, banjo, and violin. It seems like more females play the harp and piano. 

Yes, I think Kelly and eventually Erin said that each of the Bates kids and looks like the Paines too started with the piano to learn about music. 

Carson’s bed was one of those with the drawers underneath. My assumption is that his clothes are probably in the drawers under his bed.

My current observation is Aaron’s design skills are so good that Carline eventually redid her and Evans apartment house thing before they moved into the current house because Aaron’s design didn’t fit their vibe and lifestyle.

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

My house is so beige the Bates girls would be drooling- but my kids had free rein in their rooms growing up. We've had electric blue, turquoise, purple, lavender, yellow, and pink over the years. When they were growing up, those peel and stick appliqués were so popular. Animals, flowers, polka dots, they had it all. Even their bedding was up to them. The only thing I got freaky about was the window treatments since they could be seen from outside, so I hung wide white wooden blinds and then later beige pull-down roman shades.  Her kids must be so stifled. 

My kids (late 80s and 1990) were of the stamp and stencil wall era. How many walls did I stamp, sponge, stencil? The world may never know.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My kids (late 80s and 1990) were of the stamp and stencil wall era. How many walls did I stamp, sponge, stencil? The world may never know.

My mom stenciled borders at the very top of the walls of our house. I remember birds in the family room and some sort of vine or Ivy border in the bathroom. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My parents had the sponge painted walls. We thought we were high class.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

When Erin decorated their house in the 1st place that was like THE HEIGHT of farmhouse time.

And right before sad Beige hit.

I think Carlin just followed the trend shift 

• Upvote 2

Uggggh to the sponging, I was in college for interior design and my future mil "hired" me to sponge paint her entire living/dining/hallway in their split level, and underneath the chair rail in their downstairs. That process turned me off the look forever. And they only JUST repainted last year in preparation to sell their house.  And the color they painted? Benjamin Moore classic gray, because they asked me. 🤣 (It's a great baseline color for staging and selling a house, I swear it's true).

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Uggggh to the sponging, I was in college for interior design and my future mil "hired" me to sponge paint her entire living/dining/hallway in their split level, and underneath the chair rail in their downstairs. That process turned me off the look forever. And they only JUST repainted last year in preparation to sell their house.  And the color they painted? Benjamin Moore classic gray, because they asked me. 🤣 (It's a great baseline color for staging and selling a house, I swear it's true).

Oh I think the neutrals of beige, white and grey are good for selling homes. It’s always been that way really. But a house that’s lived in for years typically have some color.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I dont have a huge problem with small house and not many toys. Her kids are at least obviously able to access and enjoy the outdoors and in most the world people don't have 2k Sq foot starter homes or even later on homes and it's fine.

Is it, though? Do we know that it's fine?  I imagine the children in third world countries would love things like privacy, toys, quiet spaces, a bed to themselves, a table for homework, an indoor place to play. I imagine they'd be happier--and perhaps healthier--  if they had those things. I don't think we should speak for them and decide that "it's fine"--because maybe it's not.

After all, in much of the world, there's not enough food, and it's not "ok." 

7 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I assume he's the artist because he's Erin Jr. And Erin was the (musical) artist in her family. I never see men playing piano in these families.  So I guess he can be the drawing artist instead.

The Bates men play piano.

download-3.jpg.8a502660f2081ae7c61d6cd44ba1a773.jpgdownload-2.jpg.714b65b2a064a9458a3c68bd808cf1a7.jpg

Edited by Jackie3

12 hours ago, LookieLoo said:

True. Jill was raked over the coals for her windowless closet nursery for Janessa. People just excuse Erin for doing the same things and over controlling every aspect of her children’s lives because she presents a prettier package. 

JANESSA?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic