IGNORED

Joy & Austin 33: Pregnant Again

Coconut Flan

On 10/8/2022 at 7:10 AM, Cam said:

So even tho the extended family already had members named Anna, Joy Anna, Johanna and Jana, Joy was going to/did name her baby Annabelle? A gazillion names to choose from and that’s as creative as she could get?

A lot of people don't think it's necessary to be creative when naming your child. I'm one of them. Plus in many cultures, Irish American Catholic being one of them, there's no aversion to people in an extended family having the same name. I'm fine with a sister and two cousins named Kathy, for example, or my brother and two cousins being Tims. IMO a hundred times better than a lot of the creative ones I come across.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

43 minutes ago, patsymae said:

A lot of people don't think it's necessary to be creative when naming your child. I'm one of them. Plus in many cultures, Irish American Catholic being one of them, there's no aversion to people in an extended family having the same name. I'm fine with a sister and two cousins named Kathy, for example, or my brother and two cousins being Tims. IMO a hundred times better than a lot of the creative ones I come across.

I have a large Italian American Catholic family with many repeats and similar names among aunts/uncles/cousins. One of my great-aunts died pretty young (in her 30's, without children of her own), and 3 of her nieces ended up naming daughters after her.  She was the favorite aunt and the only unmarried woman without children and worked full-time. I never met her, but it sounds like she was the cool aunt everyone adored. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

And here all I see is Spurgeon and thanks to Jessa's fake quotes, I have a strong dislike of the kid and his smarminess. 

I keep meaning to change my icon pic SMDH.

He does look like Jessa but then again his mother is Joy and she looks like Jessa 

I will never understand the gun fanaticism of the US and the obsession with owning massive guns (why does anyone even need those?). Here, people only own guns for hunting and it’s very tightly regulated (you need to attend a class in order to get one). Seeing Joy and Austin carelessly leave one lying around where their kids are playing strikes me as completely idiotic, and if they did it to send a message, that is disgusting behaviour. These people claim to put God above all else, yet they’re obsessed with an item that is designed to kill and harm. Really pro-life of them. Zero respect for that mentality. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9

3 hours ago, Keys said:

I will never understand the gun fanaticism of the US and the obsession with owning massive guns (why does anyone even need those?). Here, people only own guns for hunting and it’s very tightly regulated (you need to attend a class in order to get one). Seeing Joy and Austin carelessly leave one lying around where their kids are playing strikes me as completely idiotic, and if they did it to send a message, that is disgusting behaviour. These people claim to put God above all else, yet they’re obsessed with an item that is designed to kill and harm. Really pro-life of them. Zero respect for that mentality. 

The guns are Austin's phallus-extender. 

(It is to make extra-sure that God knows that Austin is a manly-man. Same reason for skirts over snow suits. The world would immediately implode if God couldn't tell if someone was a man or a woman.) 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

The guns are Austin's phallus-extender. 

Oh yeah.

13 hours ago, patsymae said:

I record local history by photographing headstones at cemeteries in my area and posting them on an Ancestry website. It’s been fascinating to realize how often the graves of extended families are clustered together, altho you can’t always tell until you start connecting the dots. Currently I’m documenting an old Irish section of a cemetery where most headstones are from the 1800s-early 1900s. There’s a perpetuation of same first names over and over. Of course, John and Mary are proliferate and also Patrick, Thomas, Sarah. The name Bridget seems even more common than Mary and I see Agnes a lot. I’ve seen Annabelle several times. It’s almost a relief when I encounter an uncommonly used first name which especially helps if I need to research the family for birth and death dates, etc.

I grew up Catholic. One of my sisters is named Mary. No middle name, but quite often when she was growing up, people (like teachers) tried to add one. It seemed to throw them off that she wasn’t Mary Jo, Mary Beth, Mary Sue, Mary Jane, etc. Another sister and I have uncommon names; my parents “created” my sister’s name forming two family members’ names, so she’s the only one I’ve ever heard with her name; she’s gone by a nickname her whole life. My brothers don’t have unusual names but they’re not overly common, either. Aside from Mary, none of us have names from the Bible.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Keys said:

Out near where I live, two people were killed in a bar. I guess some guy was acting up and was asked to leave. He did but he came back with a gun, shot one man and his daughter (in the head) as she was trying to help her dad. Someone commented that now we solve problems with guns. Guns are the answer to any problem, whether it is some criminal on the streets or even the proverbial "good guy with the gun". Just pull out that gun and everything will be fine! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Keys said:

I’m in the US and it’s ridiculous to me too. My BIL and nephew hunt but they don’t leave their guns around. I’ve barely ever even seen them at their house. Because when they aren’t being used, they are put away. There are so lot of people in the zUS ego don’t own guns and don’t want to own them. But the crazy gun activists are way louder. 

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I have a large Italian American Catholic family with many repeats and similar names among aunts/uncles/cousins. One of my great-aunts died pretty young (in her 30's, without children of her own), and 3 of her nieces ended up naming daughters after her.  She was the favorite aunt and the only unmarried woman without children and worked full-time. I never met her, but it sounds like she was the cool aunt everyone adored. 

My grandmother is 1st generation Italian-American. Her parents had 9 kids, 6 girls and 3 boys. Their oldest son passed away at 9 weeks. His name was Nicholas. They had another son named Michael and then named their youngest Nicholas, again. He went by his middle name Anthony though. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m in the US and it’s ridiculous to me too. My BIL and nephew hunt but they don’t leave their guns around. I’ve barely ever even seen them at their house. Because when they aren’t being used, they are put away. There are so lot of people in the zUS ego don’t own guns and don’t want to own them. But the crazy gun activists are way louder. 

I've spent the majority of my life in the NYC area and the San Francisco area. I don't know anyone who owns a gun.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I've spent the majority of my life in the NYC area and the San Francisco area. I don't know anyone who owns a gun.

That’s the thing. I know lots of people who own guns. But I never see them. People I know just don’t carry around their guns or leave them around. I just know a lot of responsible gun owners I guess. And these people should be supporting tighter gun laws. Because it won’t effect them at all. They own their guns legally and act responsibly. But NRA has them convinced any sort of law will take away their guns. Which is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

All of my husband’s sibs owned guns because they are retired law enforcement, active FBI, retired military officers. We do not own a gun. The only other people I know who own guns are hunters or people who live rurally and need them for protection. I’ve never lived in a home with a gun; never felt the need.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 1

I'm convinced that I'm the only person on my street who doesn't own a gun. I also live a mile away from a shooting range, which always seems to shock out of town visitors (my realtor didn't bother mentioning it to me before I bought my house because it's so common here). Definitely took a bit of adjustment for me after moving from an ultra-liberal bubble where barely anyone has a gun.

• Upvote 3

My family in the Dominican Republic are military. Guns were a fact of life. There were armed guards around the property (my uncle was a high ranking general). When I was there on vacations, I saw guns. The one thing I never saw was a gun just laying there on a table or chair unattended. My cousins and/or uncle wore their guns. When they got home, they took them into their bedrooms and put them away. The doors of the bedrooms were then closed.  There was only one accident, my cousin, for some stupid reason, was goofing off and shot the chauffer/soldier. He was mortified and got a dressing down that as a member of the military, he should not be treating a gun like a toy. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 3

I live in a red state, not the south; small, basically crime-free town. During high school, on the first day of hunting season plenty of guys took the day off. A neighbor who loves his conspiracies proudly announced recently (just before midterm elections) that he got his permit or certificate to open carry his gun in church. Now that’s sad. But I think he thought the red wave was gonna hit and all them lib’rools was gonna storm the church or something and he’d be ready. Well, like was mentioned about Austin above, I gotta wonder he views it as an extension of his male appendage. 

I have family members and a few friends who deer hunt. I’ve never seen their guns other than maybe a very rare occasion while passing by a locked gun case in a far off room in their house.

My niece is a realtor. She owns a small hand held gun she keeps in her purse. I can’t blame her. I think it’s pink.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 1

I’m fairly certain that almost everyone I know owns a gun.  This is not an open carry state, so you don’t see them and don’t know who is carrying and who isn’t. But I have never seen a gun lying around unattended where a child can get it. Not once.

• Upvote 3

My good friend is an elementary teacher in a large city in a lower income area with a lot of crime. And a kindergartener brought a loaded gun to school to show off to his friends. Thankfully no one was shot. But there are plenty of people in the US who leave their guns laying out with children in the house. 

• Sad 7
  • WTF 1

There is a big article in the NYTIMES today about how guns have now surpassed auto accidents as the biggest cause of death in children in the US. (It may be possible to link it— “Chilhood’s Greatest Danger: the Data on Kids and Gun Violence “—but I couldn’t. I think you have access to ten articles before you hit a pay wall. )
  Apparently ownership of handguns is way up, and handguns are less likely to be kept in a secure place than other firearms. A third of the gun deaths of Americans under 18 are accidents and suicides which usually involve handguns. 
  It’s a long article that analyzes the data across time, race, geography and more. African American children have been affected much more. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

My brother, in England, had several guns. He shot competitively. He had to have his house inspected by the police and show the the guns were in a safe. He didn't have any children at home.

• Upvote 4

My father owns several shotguns as he used to go bird hunting. But they are certainly not just lying around. They are locked away in a gun safe. We live in Canada so there are a lot more restrictions on gun ownership which I think is a great thing. No one needs a hand gun or an assault rifle. I can see having a shotgun if you are a hunter. I don't love the idea of hunting myself but I can understand it if you are going to consume what you hunt. Also, I can see people living in rural areas might potentially want one because there can be dangerous wildlife. None of my friends have any guns though that I am aware of. 

• Upvote 3

Twice as a child I had another kid offer to show me their father's guns when I was playing at their house.  The first time I was pretty young, maybe 5 or 6 and it was a cousin.  I insisted on no even though my brother wanted to see them.  I strongly believe he would have shot us if the guns were loaded because he was a troubled child and grew up to be a troubled adult.  As soon as I said we need to ask uncle ***** he didn't want to show us anymore.

I don't even want toy guns in my house because GUNS ARE NOT TOYS.  My daughter is not quite 2, but I hope to always impress upon her that you take guns seriously.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

There is a big article in the NYTIMES today about how guns have now surpassed auto accidents as the biggest cause of death in children in the US. (It may be possible to link it— “Chilhood’s Greatest Danger: the Data on Kids and Gun Violence “—but I couldn’t. I think you have access to ten articles before you hit a pay wall. )
  Apparently ownership of handguns is way up, and handguns are less likely to be kept in a secure place than other firearms. A third of the gun deaths of Americans under 18 are accidents and suicides which usually involve handguns. 
  It’s a long article that analyzes the data across time, race, geography and more. African American children have been affected much more. 

Here’s a link to the article (free). As a subscriber I can gift a certain number of articles a month. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/briefing/gun-violence-kids.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfqYhlSlUaBibfR9kqoByAir_A3bp5mH75KCWTQjsHzOUZGM6A50LJL-JFVucE4g66FpVHIaN9A7t71PNeNEhgDAWi85aPlM1eZihr8d32Az5ojtecAuhptGK6PjPhJulyzrTi4VjOKjW_ANyp2nIiJg9lqZRkZAvqjSROnvGZZ7Yzjtpu3v4hBYR5RiMDY0SIt_ruCxZ5PraWf02Wq1l2C6wCB2alzZPL4KkAcQ5SFVrGUHl9hG83495fM98SV73txLyMEiL7JSodfPz904DxeQ&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

• Thank You 5

I've been thinking about this for a couple days reading this thread, and I have a hard time thinking of anyone I know that DOESN'T own a gun. I have laid eyes on exactly two of these guns in my entire life because they're kept put away, but it surprised me to realize that almost everyone I know has one. There are people I'm not sure about, but I wouldn't be surprised by 99.99% of them if I found out they did. I actually think my state is an open carry state now, but I almost never see a gun in the wild. Hell, technically I own a gun. My husband inherited it when his grandfather died. It's some sort of handgun, in a safe, which is hidden, and far away from the keys... and I've actually never seen it, I just know it exists. 

I'm not necessarily anti-gun, I am pro gun safety and gun control though. I personally have zero interest in guns and don't care to be around them. My husband keeps trying to get me to learn to shoot the one we have, but I don't want to. I truly can't see a need for it. 

My favorite "never have I ever" is "never have I ever shot a gun". I'm always the only one in the group, it works every time. 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic