IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

On 11/30/2022 at 2:40 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Yes, it would be strange if a Christian church didn't read or talk about the bible.

Fundies don't think non-fundie churches mention anything about the bible. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

My evangelical fundie-lite neighbor once lectured me about how the Catholic church doesn't use the Bible and isn't Bible based.  I challenged her that we'd attend Sunday services and highlight each portion of scripture in each service.  No more problem there.  She hadn't had a clue that the entire mass is based on Bible readings.

• Upvote 15

On 11/30/2022 at 4:40 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Yes, Steve hopes your church is one of God and not of beer and football (either kind). I also find it strange that he says assembly and not church. Maybe that's an evangelical thing? Or maybe Steve doesn't want to repeat the word too much and used a thesaurus?

I think he says "assembly" because that leaves open the option of home church, nursing home church, etc. Also other get-togethers of believers, but that's probably not what he means there. For years they didn't attend an actual church, they just assembled and listened to Steve pontificate. 

I think the Maxwells and Alexanders should do an episode of "wife swap". Lori and Steve could bond over finding ways to Biblically snipe at every little thing their family members do and commiserate about how no one is as holy and perfect as they are, and maybe Ken and Teri could lighten up and have a Pepsi and some real tasty food for a change. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

35 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

My evangelical fundie-lite neighbor once lectured me about how the Catholic church doesn't use the Bible and isn't Bible based.  I challenged her that we'd attend Sunday services and highlight each portion of scripture in each service.  No more problem there.  She hadn't had a clue that the entire mass is based on Bible readings.

Although I understand the reasons behind the church, at least initially, not verbally supporting individual Bible study, I think since V-2 it has tried to encourage parishioners to take a more active interest in scripture outside of the Mass. I think for non Catholics, the role of Catholic leadership (Priests and up the chain) doing the interpretation of scriptures for its members has always been a point to question.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think for non Catholics, the role of Catholic leadership (Priests and up the chain) doing the interpretation of scriptures for its members has always been a point to question.

They say that and then almost every protestant and especially the evangelicals i know follow the minister's interpretations more slavishly than most Catholics I know.  It's interesting. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Although I understand the reasons behind the church, at least initially, not verbally supporting individual Bible study, I think since V-2 it has tried to encourage parishioners to take a more active interest in scripture outside of the Mass. I think for non Catholics, the role of Catholic leadership (Priests and up the chain) doing the interpretation of scriptures for its members has always been a point to question.

No matter what the denomination, priests or ministers-they all interpret scripture and preach their interpretations.  Steve is an idiot.  And he has obviously never been to a Catholic church.  As @Coconut Flan said-the entire mass is based on scripture.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Most Catholics I know don't highlight or bring their bibles to church. Most of the people I know just follow along with the missalette during the service. You can also look up the readings later. 

On the other hand, most fundie services I've seen don't read the bible the same way they do in other denominations like Catholicism, Lutheranism, Episcopalism, etc.  The preacher will just give the sermon and read a little during the sermon. It seems easier to forget what the readings were that way, but I guess it works for some people. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

On the other hand, most fundie services I've seen don't read the bible the same way they do in other denominations like Catholicism, Lutheranism, Episcopalism, etc.  The preacher will just give the sermon and read a little during the sermon. It seems easier to forget what the readings were that way, but I guess it works for some people

There tend to be two types of sermons. There's the topical ones, where the preacher develops his sermon on a theme and pulls out relevant scripture. Then there's exegesis, where the preacher preaches through the bible, one book at a time. My pastor preaches topical sermons, mostly how to apply scriptures to life. I highlight my bible, write in it, have a journal where I write my thoughts and questions. Its what works for me. 

• Upvote 7

This week's Seriously, Dad? is a blast from the past and is major drama. It's called Influence 3.

It's December 7, 2022.

Influence 3 Last week was Under the Influence 2. This week Steve left out the "Under the" part for no reason. Also where is Infuence 1/Under the Influence 1? Did anyone receive Part 1 in an email?

First Paragraph:

Over thirty years ago, before we quit team sports, one of my sons remarked how he had been wondering how he would look with his hair spiked. 

I wonder if it was Nathan or Christopher? Christopher was supposed to have been wild as kid, but Nathan is the one I remember playing sports.

I was shocked and couldn’t imagine where he got that idea.

Steve must have been quite brutal in his rejection. That being said it, I'm sure many of the religious/conservative/traditional people I know would have been just as upset depending on the age of the kid.

It turned out that several of his baseball team members wore their hair spiked.

Ah, I'm just realizing this must have been around start of the Simpsons. The Bart Simpson era of little boys.

Spiked hair is nothing these days compared to wild, unnatural, ungodly fluorescent-colored hair. 

Oh no, dyed hair! Steve, there's nothing wrong with dying hair. A lot of the more flamboyant colors are favored by POC whose hair tends to be brown. Brown hair can absolutely be beautiful, but it can get boring and people like to shake it up. It's called fun, Steve.

You scratch your head and wonder: Where do Christians get the desire to look so odd and of the world? “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (1 John 2:15). 

They're not all Christian and there's nothing wrong with that! There's nothing wrong with not being Christian!

And yes they are Christians who dye their hair and there's nothing wrong with that either!

You trotted 1 John 2:15 last week! It's overused by Christians, particularly fundies! You and your wife use cars, even on Sunday. You use modern cooking utensils. You wear pants and don't dress like Jesus. There are plenty of ways your life differs from early Christians and that's okay! 

Second Paragraph:

The answer is simple—rock stars, sports heroes, and lots of screen time. 

These days it's more likely to be influencers, but honestly dyed hair, tattoos and piercings aren't that weird anymore. It's not just rock stars and sports heroes. 

They want to be cool and accepted,

Dyed hair can make you look cool. It doesn't necessarily garner acceptance and isn't necessary to be accepted. Most kids don't dye their hair. 

so they look and act like their screen idols. They spend a lot of time following them. 

Not everyone idolizes people with dyed hair, Steve. And if they like someone with dyed hair, and they dye their hair; why does it matter?

Didn’t Jesus say, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)? Brothers, how aware are you of what you and your family are being influenced by?“ All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not” (1 Corinthians 10:23).

Yes Steve, I think most people would be able to tell you're a conservative Christian by how judgmental .you are. 

I agree most people should pay some attention to the media their kids watch, etc. Steve proves how limiting it can be to try to remove all other influences. His kids missed out on so much. His kids had to quit sports, because some of the other kids had spiked hair.  Just because some kids had spiked hair, didn't mean everyone had to.  He was scared that his family wouldn't be able to resist the world, so he pulled them out of the world.

No idea if this column will be effective scaremongering, but hopefully a few people will see this as extreme and unsubscribe.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 6

He is so out of touch with the current state of the world it's laughable.  

"Ungodly. fluorescent colored hair" made me LOL, thinking about my gorgeous younger daughter and her vivid purple hair.  It's also been blue, pink, and half green/half purple, *this year*.  She does it herself and has a lot of fun with it.  She's no longer Christian, so I guess her "ungodly" hair is not as offensive to Stevehovah. 🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Love 16

Haha he is still spewing bile over the wedding. Was it Bad Chelsy or Bad Uncle Kory who thought of giving Axton a quiff for the nuptials? Did they get the idea from watching THE BEAST?image.png.4c4a903ddb87ddb804fd00f769bab677.png

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 20

I’m the age of Sarah. It was extremely common to have spiked hair back in the late 80s early 90s. Many in my class had hair like that. They also had three shaved lines on each side to look even cooler. All the boys loved their hair. Some also had one pierced ear. And my cousins had spiked hair along with mullets! Spiked mullets! Steve would die. But everyone survived and it was no big deal. When it comes to dyed hair, most kids just choose their favorite color and ask to dye it with non permanent hair dye. It’s the same reason they choose a pink shirt to wear. Because they love the color. Steve is reading way too much into this. He wondered why Christians want to look so odd. Well then I would ask Steve, why did your wife and grown-ish daughters wear matching frumpers until 2011 when they were totally out of style? They looked very odd to many people. He made his children look odd all the time! He has no idea how he and his family look to the world. Looking at his daughters now, they don’t look odd at all. They don’t stick out. They wear clothing that many women their age wear. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12

Oh, Steve, Steve, Steve. I was 66 when I retired and sported bright turquoise hair for two years. I found it helped me interact with the kids at my church (of which I was congregation president). Stevehovah, you can fuck right off right now. 

• Love 17

I saw a girl at ABC with pieces of her hair dyed a non natural color. I also saw nose rings. I bet Steve hates that his daughters are friends with girls like that. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 5

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m the age of Sarah. It was extremely common to have spiked hair back in the late 80s early 90s. Many in my class had hair like that. They also had three shaved lines on each side to look even cooler. All the boys loved their hair. Some also had one pierced ear. And my cousins had spiked hair along with mullets! Spiked mullets! Steve would die. 

The trend for little boys round here is to have cool shapes or football team logos shaved into the side or back of the head. It looks amazing and when they get bored or if it looks untidy it can be trimmed off at home with clippers and changed up at the next barber visit.  Bless Steve's poor attacked heart.

• Upvote 8

The only reason I don’t dye mine is because I’m in the pool 4 times a week and no hair dye can compete with chlorine. I wasn’t allowed to growing up because my mom would say ‘remember X, who dyed her hair green for St Patrick’s day and it stayed that way for months?’ - I think my mom genuinely worried the colors would be permanent no matter what it says on the box.Still I’d love a purple streak or fringe, I’m just too lazy to put in the effort to keep my hair from the water.

• Upvote 7

I just remembered that there was a quote up in the ABC dorms for Christmas. It was a quote from the movie “Elf.” Steve would hate that movie! I bet Mary and Anna have seen a lot of movies while at ABC. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

I love the way Kory has a slightly cheesy smile in some of the wedding photos.  It could just be his jolly youth worker smile or it could be a smug "I got your daughter, Stevo, and I'm going to give her forty years of FUN times to make up for the past". 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5

Sarah looks incandescently radiantly happy in that photo. That is a woman in love. A woman whose life is now her own, to live as she wants. A woman who has had fun ... and liked it ... a lot.

Teri doesn't and never has looked  incandescently radiantly happy in any photo -- not even her wedding photo

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

Haha he is still spewing bile over the wedding. Was it Bad Chelsy or Bad Uncle Kory who thought of giving Axton a quiff for the nuptials? Did they get the idea from watching THE BEAST?image.png.4c4a903ddb87ddb804fd00f769bab677.png

Hmmm, I am wondering if this post wasn't done as a passive aggressive dig at Chelsea.  She appeared to throw a dig at him in her last blog post (saying people should not sit around and expect a spouse to just show up at their door) and now Steve throws out a dig about spiked hair?  Methinks thou protests too much, Steve-o!

Also, if Steve dislikes people following influences with ungodly trends, then what are his thoughts on his own family following after each other for style elements like vests?  

I love Steve posts! Thanks for taking one for the team and doing these recaps for us so we don't have to give him our email address. :)

Edited by Queen Of Hearts
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

Teammates on sports teams sometimes adopt a hair style as a show of comraderie.  When I was in high school half the football team got Mohawks.

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Teammates on sports teams sometimes adopt a hair style as a show of comraderie.  When I was in high school half the football team got Mohawks.

Well therein lies the problem.  In Steve's world the only comraderie one must have is with one's immediate family (not extended family, like siblings who move across the street... Only immediate family).  

• Upvote 6

I’m not interested in dying my hair, never have been. But if people want to do so, fine by me. They can do whatever they fancy! 
Steve’s post is just ridiculous. 

• Upvote 11

I use to dye my hair. Then I started to get sick from the dye so I stopped. My mother has been getting her hair dyed for 40 years. I asked her what she was going to do when the hairdresser retires she said she will go grey. 

• Upvote 5

I just saw a Zazzle ad and one of the actresses had beautiful purple hair.  Two of my daughters have purple hair, too.  I'm tempted to at least dye a streak in my hair, as well.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic