IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 11: Get Your Christofascism Here Folks!

nelliebelle1197

Knee length skirts?? Thats the way of the devil! I am a shoe in with Jebus in my AnKlE length denim skirt, that I got from a thrift store! I am fundietastic 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, BigSandy said:

I wanted to say, no not at all, it is not hard!

Especially since long dresses and skirts are currently in fashion (mid-calf or maxi, with sleeves and small flower prints). They are flooding the market this season (sadly, my husband hates them). The current trends are super fundie-compatible. Of course, they can't admit that normal women don't typically prance around naked.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Lands End sales got me to try a few of their dresses last year and I love them. They’re so soft I could sleep in them, sleeveless, and if I can’t find a petite and they run long they’re very easy to hem to your preferred length or even just use that ironing hem tape, forget what it’s called but I love it. My only annoyance is that they don’t have pockets but they recently announced they redesigned them and added them, yay! Plus they’re only about $15-20 if you get them on sale which honestly isn’t that much more than what I’d pay in a thrift shop. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Lands End sales got me to try a few of their dresses last year and I love them. They’re so soft I could sleep in them, sleeveless, and if I can’t find a petite and they run long they’re very easy to hem to your preferred length or even just use that ironing hem tape, forget what it’s called but I love it. My only annoyance is that they don’t have pockets but they recently announced they redesigned them and added them, yay! Plus they’re only about $15-20 if you get them on sale which honestly isn’t that much more than what I’d pay in a thrift shop. 

Yeah that is what I don’t get about used shopping  for clothes outside the ethical considerations- I can get brand new stuff on sale for cheap and it lasts longer!

• Upvote 7

@nelliebelle1197 I do get the majority of my clothes from charity shops, I am on an extremely tight budget as well as I dont want to add to the mountains of clothing waste that we produce every year. Last week I got 2 tops and a skirt, brand label is Marks and Spencer. To buy new would be £25 plus for each of them, I cant afford that! I also cant afford them on sale, but I most definitely can afford them when they are priced at £3.50 to £4.50 each and they are immaculate condition! Its either that or I get a Primarni special which lasts a couple of times lol 

The Family Bont visited with Chelsy, one pic is Eliot trying to escape the clutches of Ma Bont and its so funny!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

The biological need to 'slow down' seems to include an exhausting list of very time-consuming tasks. Thanks for the tips Allison but no.

Pointless snark: The orange dress in the photo is trailing on the grass. I'm a truly crap 'homemaker' but even I can hang up a dress on a line. Choose a better photo.

• Upvote 23

1 hour ago, EmainMacha said:

The biological need to 'slow down' seems to include an exhausting list of very time-consuming tasks. Thanks for the tips Allison but no.

This is how it always seems. No matter how “good” these lists are they’re somehow exhausting to even read let alone complete!

• Upvote 11

‘Knowing and being in touch with your cycle’ - I don’t use the word hate lightly but I hate her right now.

I know my cycle. I have certainly touched it. And it’s a disgusting, mad-as-hell tornado velociraptor gorgon that I absolutely refuse to let rule my life. Hence the birth control. And even if it wasn’t, the whole point of birth control is to enable women to be in control - to be the boss of - their own lives. We are the products of evolution which enabled us to survive just long enough to have babies but some of us want more than that. And thankfully humans evolved to be curious and keep striving for solutions and out of that came birth control. Without which many of us would be dead.

I wonder if it occurs to her that people aren’t boss of their own funeral?

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 6

21 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

‘Knowing and being in touch with your cycle’ - I don’t use the word hate lightly but I hate her right now.

I know my cycle. I have certainly touched it. And it’s a disgusting, mad-as-hell tornado velociraptor gorgon that I absolutely refuse to let rule my life. Hence the birth control. And even if it wasn’t, the whole point of birth control is to enable women to be in control - to be the boss of - their own lives. We are the products of evolution which enabled us to survive just long enough to have babies but some of us want more than that. And thankfully humans evolved to be curious and keep striving for solutions and out of that came birth control. Without which many of us would be dead.

I wonder if it occurs to her that people aren’t boss of their own funeral?

That’s why I take birth control too. Even though my husband is fixed. After I had kids, my periods became unmanageable. Just horrible. Imagine having to deal with that nonsense with a huge amount of children underfoot. You would be miserable for 4 days each month! Maybe that’s why they get pregnant so often. To avoid heavy periods!

• Upvote 10

Is trying to say "use natural planning" because that doesn't work for everyone?  

For me, the idea of not using any birth control is the opposite of slowing down. Having small children can be rewarding, but time-consuming  with a lot of busy work. Having a large family is lots and lots of work. I doubt I would have time to constantly think about my body. 

On top of that, raising chickens is also work. If I had small children to care for and was thinking of expanding the family, I would not be looking to raise chickens.

Everything in that post sounds like work. It might be fun and it might not, but that is not slowing down. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

On 8/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yeah that is what I don’t get about used shopping  for clothes outside the ethical considerations- I can get brand new stuff on sale for cheap and it lasts longer!

I am a garage sale wizard and buy many brand-name nearly new items for my family ($1.50 for a Nike outfit with the tags still on for my granddaughter), plus my favorite thrift store where I bought new looking Keen sandals for $2.50 last week. Of course, I am no stranger to the sale racks, either. But I am like you, wanting quality merchandise at good prices.

• Upvote 4

On 8/3/2022 at 5:44 PM, BigSandy said:

Ugh yes I almost commented on the Instagram story that was like "do you struggle to find modest skirts?" I wanted to say, no not at all, it is not hard! I'm not fundy at all but when I wear skirts, I'm more comfortable in longer ones. It is absolutely easy to find them, so I don't get why it is hard for fundies. Maybe they just want a reason to feel different/special/persecuted-by-the-fashion-world/etc.? 

This. It's virtue-signalling at its finest. They aren't having any more trouble than the rest of us finding modest skirts, whether that mean covering the kneecap, mid-calf, or maxi length. But writing about the cute maxi skirts they found at Eddie Bauer or the summer dresses from Lands End, would not convey the sense of persecution that they wrap themselves in from head to toe.

• Upvote 14

Haven't checked in on this family for some time. I was confused on what "he brought me out of the mirror clay" meant until I realized they meant miry clay. 

Also f pro diseasers. That is all. 

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

This. It's virtue-signalling at its finest. They aren't having any more trouble than the rest of us finding modest skirts, whether that mean covering the kneecap, mid-calf, or maxi length. But writing about the cute maxi skirts they found at Eddie Bauer or the summer dresses from Lands End, would not convey the sense of persecution that they wrap themselves in from head to toe.

I also don’t think they would like (and perhaps be shocked to find out) a lot of the hobbies they brag about having are actually fairly main stream amongst a lot of younger people. I know a ton of people with chickens, gardening seems to be on the rise with tons of urban community gardens too, and recently a bunch of 12 year olds sat in my kitchen practicing calligraphy. They want to feel so special and set a part for things they do - but a lot of it is actually not that strange. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

47 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

I also don’t think they would like (and perhaps be shocked to find out) a lot of the hobbies they brag about having are actually fairly main stream amongst a lot of younger people. I know a ton of people with chickens, gardening seems to be on the rise with tons of urban community gardens too, and recently a bunch of 12 year olds sat in my kitchen practicing calligraphy. They want to feel so special and set a part for things they do - but a lot of it is actually not that strange. 

I like in a liberal neighborhood with a mix of religions. There are lots of backyard chickens, tons of gardens, and a huge community garden. Fundies aren’t special and when little things let them know this, they get miffed. 

• Upvote 10

On 8/9/2022 at 4:34 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@nelliebelle1197 I do get the majority of my clothes from charity shops, I am on an extremely tight budget as well as I dont want to add to the mountains of clothing waste that we produce every year. Last week I got 2 tops and a skirt, brand label is Marks and Spencer. To buy new would be £25 plus for each of them, I cant afford that! I also cant afford them on sale, but I most definitely can afford them when they are priced at £3.50 to £4.50 each and they are immaculate condition! Its either that or I get a Primarni special which lasts a couple of times lol 

The Family Bont visited with Chelsy, one pic is Eliot trying to escape the clutches of Ma Bont and its so funny!

I think it is different in the US. There is SO MUCH fast fashion here and so much of it ends up at thrift stores. My husband is from NZ and I used to live in London. I found the clothes in both the UK and NZ higher quality than on average here and more expensive (we are typically in NZ at least once a year and I spend a lot of time at charity and resale shops there because one can find amazing old housewares for cheap; half my art and decorating doodads are from resale shops in NZ). Sales are also insane in the US - especially online shops where it is common to get a half priced item then get another 30-40 percent off. It is the volume of having 350,000,000 consumers and the competition. For example,  my youngest prefers Hanna Andersson clothes and I buy off season and usually get $30 shorts for $7 or $8 then I resell on Mercari for $5 at the end of the season. I never ever buy retail at full price and I have the proceeds from resale to offset the next season. It's a lot of work but I actually enjoy the bargain hunting and then the resale.  My best bargain story I think is the $500 tweed wool coat from anthropologie I scored for $45 that I have had for years and will probably have forever!

Oh the shoe prices in New Zealand are insane. I just send my MIL some decent shoes from the US because we were there June and July and her shoes were terrible and she was worried about spending NZ$250 on a new pair when she needs a new hot water cylinder and I can get better shoes here for much less- it was cheaper to mail her two pairs than buy one there!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 7

@nelliebelle1197 wow those are real bargains! As you've been our charity shops you know what I mean. But they never have decent kids clothes, I do always buy my boys new clothes, it used to be I could pass them down but they're too big for that now! The price of those shoes is shocking, is because they have to import everything like that? 

1 hour ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@nelliebelle1197 wow those are real bargains! As you've been our charity shops you know what I mean. But they never have decent kids clothes, I do always buy my boys new clothes, it used to be I could pass them down but they're too big for that now! The price of those shoes is shocking, is because they have to import everything like that? 

I THINK so but shoes are out of control - clothes are a little bit more but the quality is better especially NZ made/local brands. Shoes are ridiculous - there are super cheap pairs at places like the Warehouse, which is a discount store but they fall apart quickly. But at Farmer’s which is  similar to  M&S a pair of mid quality work shoes for women would be NZ$250, or around £140! I looked at the Marks & Spencer site and the type of shoes I am taking about in GB would be about £70-80 full price!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I like in a liberal neighborhood with a mix of religions. There are lots of backyard chickens, tons of gardens, and a huge community garden. Fundies aren’t special and when little things let them know this, they get miffed. 

That is because you don't have godly chickens or holy gardens, you don't cover up your defrauding knees and calves with your easily-found Lands End skirts - it's just not the same!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@nelliebelle1197 ouch thats a lot! Must be import prices, I bet shes glad you can send her decent stuff for a lot less

Chelsys fam are in Iowa visting the fam per IG

I really really hope John Maxwell does not get pulled into the Bont brand of crazy. Steve Maxwell has a lot of issues but his excellent education and very American middle class values kept him off a good part of the current political crazy train on which these loons ride. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

On 8/14/2022 at 8:37 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

really really hope John Maxwell does not get pulled into the Bont brand of crazy.

This is yet one more reason I wish the Maxwell blog was still live. It would be so interesting to see what the extended Maxwell family think of all the changes with Sarah, Mary and Anna. I can see a scenario where they look at the changes and approve and another where they drift over to the Bonts (or similar groups) because they miss the "good old days". 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

The thing about the Bonts is that they aren’t that active in the lives of the children who have moved away. They do see Chelsy, Allison and the Boners on occasion. But definitely not as much as the ones that live near them. And the Bontragers put the tour first. So if you are giving birth, too bad. They won’t go visit you until the tour is over. But with the Maxwells, I think they would go visit Sarah soon after she had a baby. Even if she is 5 hours away. I think Chelsy may share a lot of her parents’ crazy ideas, but the Maxwells seem to be there for them much more. And that must count for something. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 17

• Coconut Flan locked this topic