IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 9: Pretending to Be Relevant

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, viii said:

Which is completely fair. It blows my mind that some people can't understand the difference. 

I guess what will be interesting is to see what their reaction will be if they completely control and dictate what is shown, love the final product, give it a green light, and it gets a negative reaction from the public.

Will they suddenly start blaming editors, cameramen, other producers, etc. for not showing their truth the way they wanted? Or will they acknowledge that even showing their version of life the way they choose opens them up to criticism, and there’s really nothing they can do it about it? Because with Harry and Meghan I think it’s more than just wanting to control and dictate the project (their right certainly), but they also want to control the responses of everyone as well.

If they get a huge negative backlash I can see them saying, “We just wanted a private life, but everyone demanded this documentary! Why is everyone so mean to us? We’ll never do something like this again!!”

…and they won’t…

…until the next time.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, DalmatianCat said:

Because with Harry and Meghan I think it’s more than just wanting to control and dictate the project (their right certainly), but they also want to control the responses of everyone as well.

I think that's it.  They both love positive attention and whine and complain when something is negative.  Meghan especially seems to determined to present her view as the only allowable view and keeps wanting to "set the record straight" over so many little things.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 8

Absolutely agree. It’s completely fine to want to be in control about what parts of your life are public and which aren’t. That’s a line everyone has to draw themselves. 

But if you open your private life up for others you must be prepared for people talking about it. And this can mean negatively. I don’t think anyone will say something to their face or send them a rant letter, but tabloids will dissect every second and Twitter, YT and gossip boards will follow suit. 

They want to control the narrative, but they have no real control about what people think about them. And rightly so. It seeks though they can’t deal with this fact. Anyone criticising them must be a jealous, online bullying racist. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Meghan especially seems to determined to present her view as the only allowable view and keeps wanting to "set the record straight" over so many little things.

Like how much time they spent during the Oprah interview explaining that it was actually Kate who made Meghan cry. If their little reality show receives negative attention, expect more interviews explaining why things went wrong and aren't their fault. 

28 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

They want to control the narrative, but they have no real control about what people think about them. And rightly so. It seeks though they can’t deal with this fact. Anyone criticising them must be a jealous, online bullying racist. 

This kind of thinking sits uncomfortably for me because it's so easy to claim that anyone criticizing them must be racist but that takes away from the very real fact that Meghan does suffer from online bullying racists. There is plenty to fairly criticize Meghan for, but I think it's important to remember that while some of the criticism is valid, some of it is not. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 1

@viii Meghan was and is indeed a victim of racist commentary. There is no way to deny this. And that’s awful. 
My problem is that they use this to explain all of the criticism (and hate) thrown at them. I would estimate it’s actually more 30% vs 70% . That’s still a horrible 30% of racist comments. 
This behaviour hasn’t helped them though and now people are quick to disregard their claims because they have a history of twisting the truth and exaggerating. Like the “circus monkey” tweet (it was a tweet right?). Completely tasteless and while not meant racist, he should have known it’s a no go. This incident and the “exotic blood” and “straight out of” get quoted every time. But that’s three. Three vs. hundreds (maybe even thousands) that didn’t have one racist touch. Now, obviously you can have a racist bias and write a critical/mean article without showing it. But the reader also wouldn’t know what your bias is. So it’s unfair to assume someone must be a racist without anything to show for than bad articles. Bashing royals and especially female royals is generally an acceptable past time for tabloids. The comment sections, gossip boards, private social media and blogs are a completely different ballgame. That’s where people really showed their racist side. But H&M and their mouthpieces didn’t address those places. You definitely have to dive in a bit to find it. If you only look at the tabloid headlines their claim looks highly exaggerated and people stop believing them and start wondering if their critics aren’t maybe right. It definitely did the fight against racism a big disservice.  

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think that's it.  They both love positive attention and whine and complain when something is negative.  Meghan especially seems to determined to present her view as the only allowable view and keeps wanting to "set the record straight" over so many little things.

Yeah, I have no problem with their wanting to control what goes out about them, or their ambition to be universally loved. (If I were in their shoes, I’d feel the same way.) The thing that catches my attention is that they ought to know by now that they can’t control everything.

One thing that is problematic is that they claim to want privacy, but every time they push themselves forward, they give the opposite message.  To be sure, there are degrees of privacy and being a public figure doesn’t mean that everything about you must be public, so I sympathize.  However, it can be confusing when they claim “privacy.”  Sometimes they really mean they want “control,” which is a different thing.

• Upvote 4

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/05/26/meghan-markle-visits-uvalde-texas-school-shooting-memorial-site/9948576002/

Meghan showed up at the memorial site of the Uvalde, Texas school shooting yesterday. 

Yeah, not sure what to think about that, really. On the face of it, yes, it's nice to show condolences. On the other hand, does the Uvalde community really need a celebrity flying over 1000 miles to visit a memorial site and get photographed? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

7 minutes ago, LilaMae said:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/05/26/meghan-markle-visits-uvalde-texas-school-shooting-memorial-site/9948576002/

Meghan showed up at the memorial site of the Uvalde, Texas school shooting yesterday. 

Yeah, not sure what to think about that, really. On the face of it, yes, it's nice to show condolences. On the other hand, does the Uvalde community really need a celebrity flying over 1000 miles to visit a memorial site and get photographed? 

I'm also on the fence on it. It seems BEC to complain about her donating food and whatnot to the volunteers but at the same time, Netflix was with her and it just seems like another ploy for attention. Also - you're going to pay your condolences and then you're showing up in 13k of jewelry, including Diana's watch. I don't know. Seems strange. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, viii said:

I'm also on the fence on it. It seems BEC to complain about her donating food and whatnot to the volunteers but at the same time, Netflix was with her and it just seems like another ploy for attention. Also - you're going to pay your condolences and then you're showing up in 13k of jewelry, including Diana's watch. I don't know. Seems strange. 

I really hope Netflix WASN'T there, because using a tragedy to get footage for her reality show would be appalling.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

It think it’s absolutely fine she showed up. Gun laws will probably their next big thing (again somewhat late to join the chorus). I think is was always to be expected that some photographers are tipped off to get a great picture (that’s the reality. If there is a good photo it was always somewhat planned). But bringing a film crew along would be a new low. Hasn’t been confirmed though?

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, viii said:

It was two boxes of snack sized chips. That’s about $30 at your local Sam’s Club or Costco. She could have stayed home and donated the travel costs to the community instead. 

She was reported to have a film crew and her own photographers along. 

• Upvote 6

33 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It was two boxes of snack sized chips. That’s about $30 at your local Sam’s Club or Costco. She could have stayed home and donated the travel costs to the community instead. 

She was reported to have a film crew and her own photographers along. 

I've read it was sandwiches, drinks and chips but who knows. 

33 minutes ago, viii said:

I've read it was sandwiches, drinks and chips but who knows. 

The lovely photos showed a pile of chips. And someone there said she helped “arrange the chips “ she brought. Which was apparently the epitome of wonderfulness. Arranging chips in a table. Wow. She’s so compassionate . 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I mean, it's just par for the course.  And that's the real source of criticism.  They can't do something nice without making sure the world knows they did it.  It's a clear pattern, just a different event/tragedy/cause. If this was a one off, it would look sincere.  And I don't think they understand how their need for attention has hurt their reputation for sincerity.

Even if laying roses was something that Meghan just had to do, it was possible to do so before sunrise or late at night, when there would be no cameras.  Or arranging for someone to lay the flowers secretly on her behalf. Going at the time she did was a choice.  If being photographed there provided some sense of comfort to the survivors, then that is great.  But that pattern of behavior still implies different intentions.

I can think of 50 different ways a celebrity could offer support to the Uvalde community that does not involve said celebrity taking focus away from the victims and survivors. I would bet $$$ that there are many celebrities of Megan's stature or greater that have quietly donated money, supplies, and support, and we will never see a photograph or hear about it.  I would also bet that a few people on this board have donated to the Uvalde Go Fund Me's and haven't arranged a photo shoot of them pressing the "enter" key while doing so.

Ironically, there is a narrow class of celebrity whose role consists of being photographed laying flowers at memorials and such.  There are working members of a Royal Family, Prime Ministers, Governors and Presidents. For two people that hate their former roles, they certainly enjoy cosplaying as royals.

*Funnily enough, when I heard she was at the blood donation center, I was actually really impressed because I thought she had donated blood.  Then I learned it was a snack donation and not a blood donation, and I just have to assume that the cost of her flight and her bodyguard's flight > the chips and sandwiches. 

Edited by MomJeans
typo
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

@MomJeans thanks for clearing it up. I just saw the headline and assumed she donated blood as well (I try not to read too much about them. 75% is so obviously made up or overblown it’s just not worth the time).
I don’t get turning up to such sites and lay flowers if you don’t have any personal ties to the families or the community at least. Maybe she has. I wonder how much comfort you draw from seeing people laying down flowers when your child was killed. I think it’s more a thing for the people laying down the flowers to find an outlet. Which is good, but isn’t it nice that M is suddenly so affected that she had to travel there? What about the other school shootings (sorry to say so, but there are enough of them to be pretty busy)? I get that the age of the children makes it stand out. But my cynical side just wonders if she has just realised that this is going to be the next big discussion for a couple of weeks and she wants part of the cake. It’s again a new arena to throw your hat in. 
But maybe I am too harsh. Bringing snacks is still better than nothing (though I wonder why they always appear so stingy with stuff like that), and maybe we never hear another thing about it apart from a good statement (why do I feel though the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as parents, are going to “urge” people and politicians to do something). No trying to appear as if anyone of importance listens to some Netflix reality star shows and hopefully no video. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

the chips and sandwiches. 

Which could have been easily ordered from home and delivered.  As another poster said donate the cost of the transportation and skip the photo op.  Netflix might not have been happy, but Netflix should not make a dime from tragedy.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

Ignore the article and watch the video at the top. She tries to take a prize out of the hands of a polo player (good on him for holding it tight), then she tries to push her way to the front when they’re holding up the trophy.

Why? 

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/1424582f-e332-4112-8e77-321647da78bf

All I can see is someone inserting herself into opportunities to get attention. 

It is gross when it comes to a sport game. It is downright disrespectful when it comes to the loss of the lives of innocent schoolchildren.

I will happily eat my words if she starts to campaign for gun reform and gets some action for change happening. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Um don't blood donation centers already have snacks? Why do they need hers? Megs, order from a local place and have it delivered. And why the hell is she even in Uvalde? To bring effing chips? Stay the hell home and send a donation in to cover the salaries of a few counselors. WTF. Chips. I can't even. 

@adidas I saw that on the news. Why was she even standing with the team? 

What pathetic ploys to look like she's doing something and/or relevant. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Ignore the article and watch the video at the top. She tries to take a prize out of the hands of a polo player (good on him for holding it tight), then she tries to push her way to the front when they’re holding up the trophy.

Why? 

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/1424582f-e332-4112-8e77-321647da78bf

All I can see is someone inserting herself into opportunities to get attention. 

It is gross when it comes to a sport game. It is downright disrespectful when it comes to the loss of the lives of innocent schoolchildren.

I will happily eat my words if she starts to campaign for gun reform and gets some action for change happening. 

The polo match was a quarterfinal. The trophy is for the final. They didn’t win the trophy. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, LilaMae said:

I’m glad someone else brought this up, because I hate to snark on the way someone responds to a tragedy…but…it just stood out to me as odd right away when I saw the headline. It’s one thing to show up ready to help when a situation requires it (feeding people at a soup kitchen, helping rebuild homes after a natural disaster, etc.), but…in this instance the horrid event has passed and now the families are mourning. What exactly was Meghan doing that was helpful? And I didn’t take her appearance to mean that she just cared more than anyone else…I figured that most other celebrities had already found ways to donate privately to organizations that would help because they realize just showing up and giving flowers won’t actually help anything.  

5 hours ago, MomJeans said:

Ironically, there is a narrow class of celebrity whose role consists of being photographed laying flowers at memorials and such.  There are working members of a Royal Family, Prime Ministers, Governors and Presidents. For two people that hate their former roles, they certainly enjoy cosplaying as royals.

Good point…

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, MomJeans said:

I would also bet that a few people on this board have donated to the Uvalde Go Fund Me's and haven't arranged a photo shoot of them pressing the "enter" key while doing so.

😄 Very true. Where is the Netflix crew when Free Jingerites do amazing good deeds?😄

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The polo match was a quarterfinal. The trophy is for the final. They didn’t win the trophy. 

It doesn’t matter why they were holding up the trophy or what place they received. My point still stands - she was pushing to get to the front in a moment that she had nothing to do with, and she tried to take something out of the hands of one of the players. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, adidas said:

I will, as well, because the word that came to mind when I read about this elsewhere was “ghoulish PR fail.”  

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I will, as well, because the word that came to mind when I read about this elsewhere was “ghoulish PR fail.”  

I wouldn't. Meghan has a tendency to jump on a passing bandwagon and then swiftly abandon it for the next. 

9 hours ago, MomJeans said:

I mean, it's just par for the course.  And that's the real source of criticism.  They can't do something nice without making sure the world knows they did it.  It's a clear pattern, just a different event/tragedy/cause. If this was a one off, it would look sincere.  And I don't think they understand how their need for attention has hurt their reputation for sincerity.

Even if laying roses was something that Meghan just had to do, it was possible to do so before sunrise or late at night, when there would be no cameras.  Or arranging for someone to lay the flowers secretly on her behalf. Going at the time she did was a choice.  If being photographed there provided some sense of comfort to the survivors, then that is great.  But that pattern of behavior still implies different intentions.

I can think of 50 different ways a celebrity could offer support to the Uvalde community that does not involve said celebrity taking focus away from the victims and survivors. I would bet $$$ that there are many celebrities of Megan's stature or greater that have quietly donated money, supplies, and support, and we will never see a photograph or hear about it.  I would also bet that a few people on this board have donated to the Uvalde Go Fund Me's and haven't arranged a photo shoot of them pressing the "enter" key while doing so.

*Funnily enough, when I heard she was at the blood donation center, I was actually really impressed because I thought she had donated blood.  Then I learned it was a snack donation and not a blood donation, and I just have to assume that the cost of her flight and her bodyguard's flight > the chips and sandwiches. 

Excellent post. People have said that when Meghan joined the Royal Family, she struggled to understand the difference between royalty and celebrity. It would seem that she is still struggling.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic