IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 9: Pretending to Be Relevant

Coconut Flan

Dear Meghan, this is how you do a meaningful visit to a grief stricken community.

No cameras, no photo ops, no chips, and it makes sense he went as he was born there.

"Matthew McConaughey Meets with Victims' Families in His Hometown of Uvalde, Texas, After School Shooting" If you read the article it also has his social media post, which was well written, imo.

https://people.com/movies/matthew-mcconaughey-uvalde-texas-school-shooting-meets-victims-families/

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I’ve just climbed out of a rabbit hole (thank you, FJ Rescue Ferrets!) of generally entertaining videos about H&M and W&K and I’ve no doubt the Texas footage is intended for the Sussexes’ reality show docu-series coming up someday on Netflix. 

Also ran across a story that Chas & Wills have banned H & M from the balcony for the upcoming whatever-it-is. 

Not ashamed to say that paying attention to this stuff helps distract me from the worsening news, locally and worldwide. In an odd way, I’m grateful for TheFirm’s shenanigans 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Not ashamed to say that paying attention to this stuff helps distract me from the worsening news, locally and worldwide. In an odd way, I’m grateful for TheFirm’s shenanigans 

100% agree on this. It really does help to distract one from the news.

25 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

the upcoming whatever-it-is. 

Trooping of the Colour for the Queen's birthday and her Platinum Jubilee. It happens June 2nd and is a big event. There's even a website(which I just found).

https://platinumjubilee.gov.uk/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

100% agree on this. It really does help to distract one from the news.

Trooping of the Colour for the Queen's birthday and her Platinum Jubilee. It happens June 2nd and is a big event. There's even a website(which I just found).

https://platinumjubilee.gov.uk/

Website is fun - and there’s a link to The Family’s site, even more to enjoy.  Many thanks.  

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I’ve just climbed out of a rabbit hole (thank you, FJ Rescue Ferrets!) of generally entertaining videos about H&M and W&K and I’ve no doubt the Texas footage is intended for the Sussexes’ reality show docu-series coming up someday on Netflix. 

Also ran across a story that Chas & Wills have banned H & M from the balcony for the upcoming whatever-it-is. 

Agree about paying attention to this stuff is a distraction from things that really matter.  Also agree that Meghan’s touching and sincere (not) visit to Uvalde will appear in the Netflix “documentary.”

About Charles and William opposing Harry and Meghan’s presence on the balcony, I suspect theirs were not the loudest voices and that the biggest objection was to Andrew.  Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Harry and Meghan were welcome on the balcony when Charles is king.  (He is hurt and angry now, but he loves Harry and would probably want to reconnect if Harry is even remotely interested.)  

It would also not surprise me to know that the Queen came to the decision to include only the working royals because otherwise she would have had to decide specifically about Andrew and the Sussexes.  The problem with the Sussexes (that they seem to want to use their connection to the crown for what could be considered commercial ventures) is not as great as the problem with Andrew, but from her perspective, leaving any “much loved” family member out would be very painful — unless there was a policy that would not single anyone out.

Anyway, I look forward to watching bits of the celebration on TV, and I am curious to find out what Harry and Meghan will do to get attention during their jubilee visit, even if they don’t get to be on the balcony. 😉

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Agreed; I think the balcony decision had everything to do with the queen and Andrew and very little with the Sussexes. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Confirmed that Meghan did not donate blood (which I'm not saying that she had to, but I know I wasn't the only one who was lauding her blood donation before the facts became more clear.) She donated food and arranged it on a table.

This article is obviously a creation by her PR team. And to me, having worked in PR, it's also a sign that her team knows that the Uvalde visit did not gain positive attention, so they are scrambling to defend her actions the way they always do- by saying her critics are terrible humans for having any negative opinion over her public actions.  Which would be more understandable if Meghan eschewed being a public figure.  But Harry and Megan are specifically seeking, by any definition, to be public figures. And they are public figures that frequently criticize other public figures.  But anyone who questions their actions and intentions has to be a terrible human. Because ... they are above reproach.

Of note: the article says no cameras were at the community center.  No mention of whether cameras were at the memorial.  I have to assume, from the past choices of Harry & Meghan, that they only attack what they perceive as lies, so it's possibly very telling that there is no line such as "there were no cameras recording the Duchess in Uvalde."  

https://www.themarysue.com/meghan-markle-uvalde-food-donation-backlash/#disqus_thread

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MomJeans said:

Confirmed that Meghan did not donate blood (which I'm not saying that she had to, but I know I wasn't the only one who was lauding her blood donation before the facts became more clear.) She donated food and arranged it on a table.

This article is obviously a creation by her PR team. And to me, having worked in PR, it's also a sign that her team knows that the Uvalde visit did not gain positive attention, so they are scrambling to defend her actions the way they always do- by saying her critics are terrible humans for having any negative opinion over her public actions.  Which would be more understandable if Meghan eschewed being a public figure.  But Harry and Megan are specifically seeking, by any definition, to be public figures. And they are public figures that frequently criticize other public figures.  But anyone who questions their actions and intentions has to be a terrible human. Because ... they are above reproach.

Of note: the article says no cameras were at the community center.  No mention of whether cameras were at the memorial.  I have to assume, from the past choices of Harry & Meghan, that they only attack what they perceive as lies, so it's possibly very telling that there is no line such as "there were no cameras recording the Duchess in Uvalde."  

https://www.themarysue.com/meghan-markle-uvalde-food-donation-backlash/#disqus_thread

The memorial was outside, so I don't think they would have been able to prevent the cameras (and it's obvious that they were Meghan's cameras at this point). They might not have actually allowed the cameras into the community centre, so it may not have even been up to Meghan.

I think I found the Facebook page of the community centre in question, and interestingly there was a post on the 25th May (so before Meghan went) asking for no more food/drink to be sent because they had already received loads of donations, so I'm guessing Meghan didn't ask whether they actually wanted the food before she brought it. Apparently, relief agencies refer to these kinds of mass food/clothing donations as "the disaster within the disaster" because people want to help and just end up sending *so much* stuff that the recipients have nowhere to store it or a reliable way to distribute it to the needy. I really wish Meghan would actually read a book on responsible philanthropy. 

Edit: It looks like the blood drive was actually in a different location from the main community civic centre. However, on *their* Facebook feed, they thank Starbucks, Walmart, a church and what sounds like local businesses for handing out food and water. So, yeah, looks like no shortage of snacks for donors.

Edited by LilaMae
added more info
  • Upvote 5

Somebody had a camera there and knew who she was, because I saw a very professional picture of her laying the roses down.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if this is Meghan’s way of trying to angle her way back in as a working member of the royal family (“See! I can be empathetic and lay flowers!”)
She was relatively unknown before she and Harry started dating…I think she loved the bump in personal profile that came from marrying him and really thought it would continue after they came to the US. I think she saw dollar signs and public admiration akin to Diana. Now it seems to be dawning on her that people are only interested in her and Harry’s connections to the royal family….everything apart from that has an expectation from the people doling out the money that they’ll be putting in just as much work and effort (if not more) then the royal family expected them to provide.

Also…I wonder if the recent school shooting has Harry re-thinking safety in the US vs. the UK. 

Edited by DalmatianCat
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

the Queen came to the decision to include only the working royals

Forgive me for not having paid attention, but this will include HRM, Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Anne Princess Royal, the Cambridges & the Wessexes - no Beatrice, no Eugenie?  Those two are not working royals / senior royals?

TIA for the info!! 

Right.  The above plus their minor children.  No Beatrice, Eugenie, etc.  Anne's husband is also allowed because he accompanies Anne to some events.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Forgive me for not having paid attention, but this will include HRM, Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Anne Princess Royal, the Cambridges & the Wessexes - no Beatrice, no Eugenie?  Those two are not working royals / senior royals?

TIA for the info!! 

I think that’s right, but also the children of the working royals, so the Cambridge kids and possibly the Wessex kids too.

Someone who knows different, please correct me.

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Also…I wonder if the recent school shooting has Harry re-thinking safety in the US vs. the UK. 

The kind of private school the Sussexes will send their children to are generally unlikely to be victimized by school shootings.

School shootings tend to happen in public schools where there are doors that are not closed/locked properly, not enough attention to who goes in and out, etc.  Private school can have a lot of security, cameras in the halls, alarms in doors, etc.  Many will have a guard or two and no one can enter the building without passing through security.

Some public high schools have established this kind of security also— it varies a lot, but a few even have metal detectors.

The UK doesn’t have school shootings as far as I recall, but there are terrorist attacks and other dangers.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MomJeans said:

The UK no longer has school shootings. Because of gun ownership reform after the Dunblane school shooting. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

Yes. I would also say that the British attitude towards guns is very different to America, though, so it was easier to make those changes. There are very few British people who would argue that guns are a right. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, LilaMae said:

Yes. I would also say that the British attitude towards guns is very different to America, though, so it was easier to make those changes. There are very few British people who would argue that guns are a right. 

Not right on topic, but I’m always a little surprised when the BBC “Father Brown Mysteries” features a handgun as part of the crime. I guess in GB in 1950-1953, guns & gun ownership were no big deal? 

17 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think that’s right, but also the children of the working royals, so the Cambridge kids and possibly the Wessex kids too.

Someone who knows different, please correct me.

Yes, I believe Cambridge children and Wessex children have been confirmed. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Not right on topic, but I’m always a little surprised when the BBC “Father Brown Mysteries” features a handgun as part of the crime. I guess in GB in 1950-1953, guns & gun ownership were no big deal? 

Yes. Lots of hunting and WWII vets. 

• Thank You 1

Meghan went to Uvalde and apparently arranged some chips on a table. As a Texan, this bothers me so much. A lot of to-do was made about her slipping in and out but ummm… yeah we know about it. 

Just so fucking opportunistic. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I read an article that said she brought a camera crew with her.  Some "slipping in and out".

Edited by SoSoNosy

It’s the Daily Mail so take with pinch of salt.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have told the Queen that they will keep a low profile during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations next weekend and will only take part in official engagements after the Monarch 'ordered the family to come together' with 'no dramas' to overshadow the events.…  

The Telegraph reported that the Sussexes are 'intending to limit themselves to public engagements' next weekend, instead focusing on spending time with family in private, and not making … unannounced visits.

Their only correspondence with the Palace has been to discuss logistical arrangements, they reported, with royal aides being 'kept at arms' length' about their wider plans. 

Harry and Meghan were last in Britain when they stopped off at Windsor Castle on their way to the Invictus Games held in The Hague, Netherlands, April, where they were seen being captured by film crews making their documentary for Netflix.

It is not yet clear if the Duke and Duchess are to be joined by the Netflix camera crew.   Harry and Meghan Jubilee

The camera crews will not be allowed to film Harry and Meghan’s participation in the jubilee events, but it will not be unexpected if they film the Sussexes doing “private” things for their documentary.

@MamaJunebug

Like them years ago I expect to see HMTQ, C&C and W&K. Last time a single Harry was with them, this time my guess is it’s the Cambridglings or just George. He/their participation in a carriage ride is confirmed and I guess George would have bumped down H from the balcony in any situation.
So H&M not being on the balcony would be not really headline worthy. 
If they decide to role out more, it might be just the working members as it seems to be the case- don’t know if that would include their children though (which would mean Zara, Peter, Mike and kids as well). Or maybe, because it most definitely will be her last hurrah and probably the last big public engagements for her, they will all step out, with some less popular people stuffed in the back. I wouldn’t rule that option out just yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, Manda said:

Haven't they already announced who is going to be on the balcony?

They have. For the main balcony appearance. But for Trooping they are on a different balcony with two side balconies 

4A92E6E1-97CD-4C63-A5A8-7ED4B1D5B445.jpegI am pretty certain H&M will have their balcony appearance at one point

Edited by just_ordinary

• Coconut Flan locked this topic