IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 48: "Happy New Year to You [,Josh]... In Jail!"

HerNameIsBuffy

Why Jed?  Have the older boys given up on him?  There are 10 years between him and Jed and 12 years between him and Justin.  They would have been 4 and 2 when Josh first got in trouble, he wasn't involved with child rearing after that, so how he could have gotten close to them.  Especially close enough to reach out from jail.

What can he have to say to them?

I get Justin's inlaws, its a sign of how much humping they are doing.  And also a sign of how scarily enmeshed the two families are becoming. 

It makes me worry for both Justin and Jed though 😥

• Upvote 4

Pardon me if this has already been posted somewhere.  It's a very vivid description of what Josh's first 48 hours in federal prison will be like.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

As for the phone calls, they are initiated by Josh, but the person on the other end has to accept the call. 

Sounds like Jed may have been trying to dodge him if it took three tries. I'm just glad he's not trying to reach any of his victims. Hopefully even he isn't that stupid, but it's interesting that he's not trying to reach most of his oldest brothers.

• Upvote 5

This is a LOT of calls from Josh. I'm wondering if the recipients, particularly Anna, are feeling harassed. If I had seven kids, I would be too busy to talk with anyone multiple times/day.

• Upvote 6

From what I have read, Josh only gets to make calls one hour a day. I wonder if the system he uses only limits calls to a few minutes each so he has to keep calling back if he wants to talk longer to someone than the allocated time. Also, if he doesn’t know what time he will get his hour it is possible people are doing other things at that time so there are a lot of missed calls.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

22 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

This is a LOT of calls from Josh. I'm wondering if the recipients, particularly Anna, are feeling harassed. If I had seven kids, I would be too busy to talk with anyone multiple times/day.

He is still her headship after all. I won't be surprised if Ana is waiting by the phone or drops everything she's doing every time the phone rings. At least at this rate, it's clear that she won't be leaving anytime soon.

Him contacting Jed and Justin, could he be asking for money? I assume he knows probably the older brothers won't give a hoot about him. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Jed seems like the only brother with prayer partner qualities. I wonder if that’s why Josh would choose him to communicate with. Also as a wanna be politician, Jed might be interested in Josh’s jailhouse experience more so than the other brothers.

I'm surprised the jail has the resources for one inmate to spend so much time on the phone daily. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, arareyeah said:

He is still her headship after all. I won't be surprised if Ana is waiting by the phone or drops everything she's doing every time the phone rings. At least at this rate, it's clear that she won't be leaving anytime soon.

Him contacting Jed and Justin, could he be asking for money? I assume he knows probably the older brothers won't give a hoot about him. 

Justin and his wife recently announced a baby coming, didn’t they?  I imagine Josh may be bored enough to call anyone on any excuse, and congrats to baby brother might be such an excuse.  As for Jed, who knows what the excuse was.  Maybe it was business or prayer or a request for money …

Not sympathetic at all (serves him right) but I would guess Josh would want an excuse to talk to anyone that will take his calls, and he only calls Anna so much because she is the only one who will answer consistently. 

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

I'm surprised the jail has the resources for one inmate to spend so much time on the phone daily. 

Me too.  It may be that he gets free use of the phone during just one hour period and the calls are all brief and retries because he gets disconnected after a certain amount of time.  Even so, he must be spending that whole hour on the phone.

• Upvote 2

So Josh has spoken with Justin's in-laws but not Justin? Odd He seems to have had contact with only one brother. I wonder if that is an indication that his other brothers aren't interested in maintaining a relationship with Josh. John David, Joseph, and Josiah are all closer in age to Josh, are married and out of the house. Technically they can do what they want and they don't appear to want to speak to Josh. The kids from Jackson on down are still minors so they shouldn't have contact but I'm kind of surprised at the older kids. Maybe the disapproval of Josh is more widespread among the siblings than we've seen. 

• Upvote 5

This is a long shot, but I am hoping that the multitude of phone calls that he is making will eventually become too much for Anna and his siblings. At some point - even if Anna refuses to leave him or his family - her new life has to take on some routine. She has 7 kids she has to care for alone, and random phone calls from jail/prison in the middle of the day might not fit her schedule. It may come to the point where she will have to tell him that she will visit when she can, and he can only call once a week at a pre-designated time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

It is not clear from this report, but others have pointed out that the phone calls may only be possible in a one-hour window which is when he has “recreation.” (The rest of the time he has to stay in his cell for protection.)  If this is correct, then the multiple calls to Anna are all within one hour and may be continuations of each other. (Let’s say each call disconnects after 5 or 10 minutes. He then has to call her again to continue the conversation. )

So, it is possible that Anna only has to be on the phone with him during that one hour period.  What I wonder is if he also talks to his kids during those calls.

18 minutes ago, Letgo said:

So Josh has spoken with Justin's in-laws but not Justin?

I am assuming the number he has called, though registered to the Spiveys, is actually Justin’s.  A lot of people share phone plans.  My husband’s adult daughter shares our phone plan, for example.  However, I may be wrong.

• Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I am assuming the number he has called, though registered to the Spiveys, is actually Justin’s.  A lot of people share phone plans.  My husband’s adult daughter shares our phone plan, for example.  However, I may be wrong.

Oh, that makes sense. We share with some of our adult kids too. Less expensive for all of us.

Justin was on Jessa's buddy team. I wonder if the sister in charge of the buddy team has any impact on how the younger kids feel about Josh.

Okay, I watched that video of how Josh's first 48 hours in a federal penitentiary will go and it certainly reinforced my desire to never be incarcerated. It would be such an odd combination of constant boredom and terror.

I'm so curious as to what Anna will do when Josh is sent to a federal prison. There aren't any prisons within easy driving distance of Anna's location. Would she move to be closer to him? I could easily see her becoming annoyed at the prospect of having to interrupt life to go visit Josh if it's a long drive-especially with seven kids. She'd have to find childcare, it's expensive to travel, it's a constant reminder of what HE has done to their family, not to mention the perversion of what he was viewing.

Anna will eventually adjust to her new life without her husband and may even find she enjoys the independence. There won't be any more babies so life will get easier as the children grow. Will her life without Josh actually allow her to figure out that he DID do his crimes and she needs to protect her children from him? I would so hate to be her. Seven kids, little to no income, no husband for the next however many years, stuck with her in-laws, being financially dependent on them, most likely being blamed for Josh's problems by not being joyfully willing/submissive enough, and years from now having Josh return to again totally disrupt her life. 

• Upvote 6

Won’t prison phone call rules and visits from family and friends differ from the rules and regulations set forth by Josh’s current jail situation?

Anna will experience change in herself and in how she interacts with the world around her. She’ll continue to be enmeshed in the fundi life, tho. When people go through tough times like she is now, they always rely on God and their faith, and love telling others that’s how they’re getting through.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I would love to know what he and the Pecan discussed

"Hey, how you holdin' up there, good buddy?"  Says the fabulous one in the most cheerful voice imaginable.

"David, this is terrible, you gotta help me.  Tell Travis he needs to get that appeal going NOW!"

"Sure thing! You bet. Say how's the food? Have you met any friends who are purposing to know the Lord better? Good Bible study group going?"

"David, I need to get out of here. I've read this paperback copy of "To Kill A Mocking Bird" 18 times already!"

"Well don't be killing any birds now, Josh! Got to be going now, Pris is giving birth again in the next room."

"David - please, at least put some money in my commissary account!"

"I'll look into that bright and early next month.  You have yourself a blessed evening now!"

Or something along those lines.

• Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 33
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Justin and his wife recently announced a baby coming, didn’t they?  I imagine Josh may be bored enough to call anyone on any excuse, and congrats to baby brother might be such an excuse.  As for Jed, who knows what the excuse was.  Maybe it was business or prayer or a request for money …

Justin and his wife haven't announced a baby coming. Jed!'s wife Katey is pregnant. They recently put their sex reveal on-line. It's a boy! No other Duggars have announced a pregnancy.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Let’s climb aboard the speculation bus! I wonder if the contact with the Spiveys as well as David Waller, and no one else outside of his immediate family, means that Josh is now considered a remote member of the Texas church in some way. It’s entirely possible that Jim Bob has told Josh that he can never return to the family property, where there will always be lots of kids, and so he’s thinking about moving to Texas after he gets out of prison. It would be a relatively easy transition for the kids.

I realize that my reaction is weird but I am kinda glad that Josh is still having contact with his family. Knowing that there are people who condemn what he did but still love him may be the impetus he needs to cooperate with treatment and come out committed to not reoffending. It will be the first time he gets actual treatment so who knows? Maybe it will be successful. Pastor Pecan is probably better suited than JB to provide spiritual help  (not from a theological stance that I agree with but that’s beside the point). If Josh’s kids want to say hi to their dad and update him on what they are learning (I kid) then I hope they are able to do that. They didn’t do anything wrong. If they don’t want to talk to him, then I hope that is respected. Basically, I hope that this train wreck doesn’t turn into a train wreck that blows up neighbouring towns by Josh either killing himself, getting killed or going even further off the rails. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Letgo said:

Okay, I watched that video of how Josh's first 48 hours in a federal penitentiary will go and it certainly reinforced my desire to never be incarcerated. It would be such an odd combination of constant boredom and terror.

I'm so curious as to what Anna will do when Josh is sent to a federal prison. There aren't any prisons within easy driving distance of Anna's location. Would she move to be closer to him? I could easily see her becoming annoyed at the prospect of having to interrupt life to go visit Josh if it's a long drive-especially with seven kids. She'd have to find childcare, it's expensive to travel, it's a constant reminder of what HE has done to their family, not to mention the perversion of what he was viewing.  …

Maybe I am wrong, but I got the impression that all the stuff about Josh feeling unsafe among the other sexual offenders was largely theater from the podcaster.  From what I have read, the sexual offenders tend to be a fairly well-behaved, rule-abiding bunch.  They have no reason to have it in for Josh, and he may well make friends among other creeps.  (General population is something else.)

I do think Josh is going to be uncomfortable, bored, etc.  I am just not sure he will have more to fear in prison than he does in jail, and he will have more space and people to interact with. After four months in the jail, where he has to have meals alone, he will be happy to be able to sit with others, use the hot water in the common room for making ramen, etc.  A lot of the inconveniences Josh will endure (the strip searches, the thin mattress and crummy pillow, the early rising, etc.) he will be used to from jail.  And I would be surprised if he isn’t allowed to have a bible from day one (though I doubt Josh cares a lot).   In any case, I agree that conditions in jails and prisons are strong reason to avoid committing crimes.  😉

About Anna moving to be near Josh, I think it is more likely, especially at first, when Covid restrictions prevent all face-to-face visits, that she will settle for video visits from wherever she is living now.   We will see what things are like in a year or so.  Initially, she may just have JD fly her to where ever once every few months.

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Justin and his wife haven't announced a baby coming. Jed!'s wife Katey is pregnant. They recently put their sex reveal on-line. It's a boy! No other Duggars have announced a pregnancy.

Oh, sorry, must have gotten the two (Jed and Justin) mixed up.  

So maybe congratulations was why he called Jed, and maybe he called Justin to thank him for having been in court, or some other excuse just to talk to someone. 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

"Hey, how you holdin' up there, good buddy?"  Says the fabulous one in the most cheerful voice imaginable.

"David, this is terrible, you gotta help me.  Tell Travis he needs to get that appeal going NOW!"

"Sure thing! You bet. Say how's the food? Have you met any friends who are purposing to know the Lord better? Good Bible study group going?"

"David, I need to get out of here. I've read this paperback copy of "To Kill A Mocking Bird" 18 times already!"

"Well don't be killing any birds now, Josh! Got to be going now, Pris is giving birth again in the next room."

"David - please, at least put some money in my commissary account!"

"I'll look into that bright and early next month.  You have yourself a blessed evening now!"

Or something along those lines.

You lost me at 'Josh reading'

• Haha 25

My experience, from having too many friends and family who have served time, is that inmates will talk to whoever they can, as often as they can, for as long as they can.
With order of preference for 1- wife/girlfriend 2- Mom 3 - siblings/friends/aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents who they have felt close to that they think will stay on the phone more than a minute 4- anyone else who will pick up. 

Since time and access is very limited,  he isn’t going to want to waste time trying to call one of the oldest set of brothers, or worse, one of his sisters, is likely just going to end in no answer or a cold, gruff, 30 second call, even a confrontation.  Any of the much younger siblings who don’t have a personal grudge and tend to be talkative are probably a good back up if he can’t get Anna on the phone.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

19 hours ago, Woods Nymph said:

This is a long shot, but I am hoping that the multitude of phone calls that he is making will eventually become too much for Anna and his siblings. At some point - even if Anna refuses to leave him or his family - her new life has to take on some routine. She has 7 kids she has to care for alone, and random phone calls from jail/prison in the middle of the day might not fit her schedule. It may come to the point where she will have to tell him that she will visit when she can, and he can only call once a week at a pre-designated time. 

That would be great, but I think she will remain joyfully available for his calls as long as he remains on this earth.

13 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

My experience, from having too many friends and family who have served time, is that inmates will talk to whoever they can, as often as they can, for as long as they can.
With order of preference for 1- wife/girlfriend 2- Mom 3 - siblings/friends/aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents who they have felt close to that they think will stay on the phone more than a minute 4- anyone else who will pick up. 

Since time and access is very limited,  he isn’t going to want to waste time trying to call one of the oldest set of brothers, or worse, one of his sisters, is likely just going to end in no answer or a cold, gruff, 30 second call, even a confrontation.  Any of the much younger siblings who don’t have a personal grudge and tend to be talkative are probably a good back up if he can’t get Anna on the phone.

I wonder if someone gave him a list of phone numbers.  Without my cell I couldn't tell you the phone numbers of any of my siblings or even kids.

• Upvote 8

20 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That would be great, but I think she will remain joyfully available for his calls as long as he remains on this earth.

I wonder if someone gave him a list of phone numbers.  Without my cell I couldn't tell you the phone numbers of any of my siblings or even kids.

I would assume he got a phone list before he went in, or it was included in a letter. It can be a real issue though if someone is surprise arrested - who knows any numbers anymore? The few I have memorized are just because the people have had them so long I used to actually have to dial the number! 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

15 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

And I would be surprised if he isn’t allowed to have a bible from day one (though I doubt Josh cares a lot).

Somewhere in one of the threads someone posted (I am known for my ultra specific sourcing) that Washington County Jail gives everyone who identifies as Christian a bible and a rosary.  It's some kind of specially constructed rosary they can't use to hurt themselves.  The lapsed Catholic in me is amused at that being regulation issue.

They sell them on Amazon, who knew?  https://www.amazon.com/Rosarybeads2u-Black-Plastic-Prison-Rosary/dp/B007FVR4T2

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic