IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout 15: More Information Is Being Revealed About The Big Lie

GreyhoundFan

The congressional investigation is continuing into the events before, during, and after the insurrection. Precious few Rs are publicly on the side of both the constitution and reality. The race to prove the most fealty to the former guy blinds most Rs to the truth.

Continued from here:

• Thank You 7

• GreyhoundFan pinned this topic

I can't stand the overuse of the term "hero". However, in the case of Eugene Goodman, that term applies. I wholeheartedly agree with this piece: "Eugene Goodman should be Time’s Person of the Year"

Time magazine was dead wrong. The magazine’s choice as Person of the Year should have been Eugene Goodman, the U.S. Capitol Police officer who stood alone against an angry mob during the Jan. 6 insurrection and taunted rioters into following him away from the Senate chamber.

Bazillionaire Elon Musk, who gazes somewhat spookily from the magazine’s cover, could justifiably be lauded as Twitter Troll of the Year. But Goodman — representing all the law enforcement officers who defended the Capitol on that bloody day — helped save our democracy. He stood firm against an unprecedented attempt to violently overturn the result of the 2020 election and keep Donald Trump, the big loser, in power.

Call me old-fashioned, but I believe bravery in service of one’s country is more worthy of thanks and praise than snarkiness in service of one’s preening ego.

The House select committee investigating the insurrection has done a good job this week in putting the events of Jan. 6 back in the headlines, where they belong. Thanks to the committee, we now know that at least three Fox News anchors — Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity and Brian Kilmeade — were apparently as horrified as the rest of us when they saw the mob invading the Capitol. They sent text messages to Mark Meadows, then the White House chief of staff, begging him to get Trump to make a public statement telling the rioters to go home.

Shock and horror diminish with time. Trauma fades. After the insurrection, the 24/7 news cycle moved on to the initiatives of President Biden’s fledgling administration, the vicissitudes of the covid-19 pandemic, the tumultuous U.S. exit from Afghanistan, the triumphs and travails of the Democrats’ slim majorities in Congress, and the death and destruction wreaked by extreme weather events that are being exacerbated by climate change.

Still, even with all of that, the biggest and most consequential news event of the year took place on Jan. 6. For the first time in our nation’s history, an organized rabble — egged on by a defeated incumbent and some of his Republican allies — overran the U.S. Capitol seeking to prevent Congress and the outgoing vice president from doing their constitutional duty and counting the electoral votes that certified Biden as the legitimately elected president.

And the mob succeeded, at least for several hours. In the process, the insurrectionists injured scores of police officers and trashed the hallowed building revered as the citadel of our democracy. Chanting “Hang Mike Pence,” they threatened the sitting vice president’s life. They bashed police officers with poles bearing the American flag. They carried the Confederate battle flag through the Capitol rotunda. They despoiled the building with their urine and feces.

Police trying to defend the Capitol were hopelessly outnumbered as the rioters smashed their way inside. For the first time, the most important act in our democracy — the peaceful transfer of power — hung in the balance.

Goodman, a veteran officer with the U.S. Capitol Police, saw a mob ascending a staircase toward an entrance to the Senate chamber where senators were sheltering; Pence had been hustled out only minutes earlier. Goodman coolly drew the rioters’ attention, inviting them to focus their rage on him, as he led them away from the chamber. I have no doubt that by risking his own life, he potentially saved the lives of those senators hunkered down just yards away.

At another point, Goodman encountered Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), who was unknowingly walking toward the danger zone. Goodman turned Romney around and sent him toward relative safety.

Goodman was quick and clever enough to avoid injury. Many other officers of the U.S. Capitol Police and D.C. police were not so fortunate as they engaged the rioters in what was described as desperate, almost medieval hand-to-hand combat.

Pence, to his credit, refused to leave the building — he was hidden in the subterranean bowels of the Capitol complex. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) insisted that Congress reconvene to do its duty as soon as the building was cleared and secured. The electoral count was finished in the predawn hours of Jan. 7. Our democracy survived.

This actually happened. A brownshirt-style attempted putsch took place in the capital of the nation that thinks of itself as a beacon of democracy. How was such a rupture possible? Yes, Trump lit the fuse. But the dynamite was already there, ready to explode.

The police officers who protected the Capitol and our elected representatives on Jan. 6 were indeed a thin blue line between democracy and authoritarianism. History should remember Eugene Goodman, representing all of those patriots, as 2021’s Person of the Year — long after Musk and Twitter fade into footnotes.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 6

CPAC wants Kinzinger and Cheney removed from the House Republican Conference:

December 15, 2021

The Honorable Kevin McCarthy
Minority Leader and Member (CA-23)
U.S. House of Representatives
2468 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Leader McCarthy,

The undersigned conservatives ask that the House Republican Conference act immediately to remove both Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) from the Republican conference due to their egregious actions as part of the House of Representative’s January 6th Select Committee.

As you are aware, this committee has no formal representation from Republicans. Both Reps. Cheney and Kinzinger serve at the request of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). As part of Pelosi’s team, Reps. Cheney and Kinzinger have deliberately sought to undermine the privacy and due process of their fellow Republicans, and those of private citizens, with improperly issued subpoenas and other investigatory tactics designed not to pursue any valid legislative end, but merely to exploit for the sake of political harassment and demagoguery.

The actions of Reps. Cheney and Kinzinger on behalf of House Democrats have given supposedly bipartisan justification to an overtly partisan political persecution that brings disrespect to our country’s rule of law, legal harassment to private citizens who have done nothing wrong, and which demeans the standing of the House.

As duly elected representatives, Reps. Cheney and Kinzinger are free to serve in the House, but they should no longer do so with the privileges granted to members of the House Republican Conference. They should no longer be given access to the benefits of a conference they actively seek to undermine.

We ask that the GOP conference meet immediately to vote on stripping Reps. Cheney and Kinzinger from their membership in the GOP conference. We further inform you that conservative leaders are launching a nationwide movement to add citizens’ voices to this effort.

The Honorable Edwin Meese III
Attorney General
President Ronald Reagan (1985-1988)

The Honorable J. Kenneth Blackwell
Chairman, Conservative Action Project (CAP)
Chairman, Constitutional Congress, Inc.

The Honorable Bob McEwen (R-OH)
U.S. House Committee on Rules
Former Member

The Honorable Matt Schlapp
Chairman
American Conservative Union (ACU)

The Honorable Jim DeMint
Chairman, Conservative Partnership Institute
Member, US Senate (SC 2005-2013)

Ed Corrigan
Vice Chairman, Conservative Action Project
President & CEO, Conservative Partnership Institute

Jenny Beth Martin
Chairman
Tea Party Patriots Citizen Fund

The Honorable Kenneth T. Cuccinelli, II
Chairman
Election Transparency Initiative

David N. Bossie
President
Citizens United

The Honorable Tony Perkins
President
Family Research Council

The Honorable David McIntosh
President
Club for Growth

Scott T. Parkinson
VP for Government Affairs
Club for Growth

Rachel A. Bovard
Senior Director of Policy
Conservative Partnership Institute (CPI)

The Honorable T. Kenneth Cribb, Jr.
Chief Domestic Advisor
President Ronald Reagan (1987-1988)

L. Brent Bozell III
Founder and President
Media Research Center

Alfred S. Regnery
President
Republic Book Publishers

Lisa B. Nelson

Cleta Mitchell, Esq.

David Bozell
President
For America

Noah Wall
Executive Vice President
Freedom Works

Chad Connelly
Founder and President
Faith Wins

Terry Schilling
President
American Principles Project

William L. Walton
The Bill Walton Show
Resolute Protector Foundation

The Honorable Brooke Rollins
President and CEO
America First Policy Institute (AFPI)

The Honorable Russ Vought
Director
Office of Management and Budget (2020-2021)

Wesley Denton
Chief Operating Officer
Conservative Partnership Institute (CPI)

Ginni Thomas
President
Liberty Consulting

Lori Roman
President
ACRU Action Fund

The Honorable Gary L. Bauer
President
American Values

The Honorable Briscoe Cain
State Representative
Texas House of Representatives

Elaine Donnelly
President
Center for Military Readiness

Craig Shirley
Reagan Biographer
Presidential Historian

Alan M. Gottlieb
Chairman
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Gary A. Hofmeister
Businessman
Business Owner

The Honorable George K. Rasley Jr.
Managing Editor
ConservativeHQ.com

Seton Motley
President
Less Government

H. Preston Hawkins
Chairman
The Association for Community Education, Inc.

Richard Manning
President
Americans for Limited Government

Jeremy Cerone
Council for National Policy

Robert K. Fischer
Meeting Coordinator
Conservatives of Faith

William Shaker
CEO
Washington Marketing Group

Paavo Ensio
Chairman
Universal Minerals Group

Richard D. Hayes
Partner
Hayes, Berry, White & Vanzant, LLP

Joan Holt Lindsey
President
Lindsey Communications

Allen J. Hebert
Chairman
American-Chinese Fellowship of Houston

The Honorable Mary Vought
Executive Director
Senate Conservatives Fund

Clare Lopez
Founder/President
Lopez Liberty LLC

Sheryl Kaufman
Board of Directors
Americans for Limited Government

Dr. Allen Unruh
Founder
National Abstinence Clearinghouse

Amapola Hansberger
President
Legal Immigrants for America

The Honorable Morton C. Blackwell
President
The Leadership Institute

Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin (Ret.)
Executive Vice President
Family Research Council

Brandon Zehm
Owner
Zehm & Associates

Dr. Richard Rounsavelle
Trustee
MRC

Jenna L. Ellis, Esq.
Chair
Election Integrity Alliance

Wendy Borcherdt
Retired Political Volunteer
Board Member, Hoover Institution

Jessie Jane Duff
Gunnery Sergeant, US Marine Corps (ret)
Ambassador, America First Policy Institute (AFPI)

Ralph A. Rebandt II
Gubernatorial Candidate
Ralph Rebandt for Governor

The Honorable Peter J. Thomas
Chairman
Conservative Caucus

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 8

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I can't stand the overuse of the term "hero". However, in the case of Eugene Goodman, that term applies. I wholeheartedly agree with this piece: "Eugene Goodman should be Time’s Person of the Year"

I agree, if one thinks of the person of the year as a heroic or positive designation.

I'm not sure how they make these decisions, but I sometimes have to remind myself that it often is not an honor.  "Person of the year" often translates to "biggest newsmaker" (although I don't see that in Musk, either), biggest pain in the ass, person we see as about to make big trouble, most destructive evil person, etc.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2019712_2019694_2019586,00.html

59 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

CPAC wants Kinzinger and Cheney removed from the House Republican Conference:

Two reactions: what a bunch of country-destroying shitbags, and  . . . huh - Ed Meese is still alive.

Fun fact - "meese" is how you pronounce the Yiddish word for ugly.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I agree that the term "hero" is overused; that Eugene Goodman should have been Time's Person of the Year: and that the word "hero" cannot be used often enough when describing him.  Time really missed the mark on the choice in so many ways and there are many people unhappy with the choice.  If Eugene Goodman had been chosen, I imagine Time would have been lauded by the vast majority of the public.  My impression of the heroic Eugene Goodman is that he is a private and humble man, though, so perhaps he would not have been comfortable being the PotY.  He seems to be that rare combination of true hero who just wants to quietly move on with his life without further fanfare and applause- kind of a "I was just doing my job" person.  His quiet humility just makes me admire him even more. 

• Upvote 13

I didn't realize Rick Perry (ex-Gov. Good Hair) had boarded the crazy train, but now we know. 

I wonder what further political ambitions he has. 

• Upvote 7

5 years for multiple assaults on police seems low. Even ignoring the other charges.

11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Person of the year" often translates to "biggest newsmaker" (although I don't see that in Musk, either), biggest pain in the ass, person we see as about to make big trouble, most destructive evil person, etc.

Agreed - my understanding was that it was the person who had most affected the news that year (e.g. Hitler in 1938, Stalin at least twice). The problem I think is that it has come to be seen as a positive reward for services, when it is more (in this case at least) the effect of a lot of self-publicity and a dick measuring contest. Personally I think Goodman (and the other Capitol police) would have been a better choice because without them the news cycle would have likely looked a lot different. Or Health Care Workers, or vaccine researchers.

Then again I thought Fauci should have been last year's choice over Biden/Harris.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

Another stick of fuck terrorist here in Iowa is facing charges 

A Cedar Rapids man is facing five more charges, including a felony, for his alleged role in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Leo Kelly was arraigned Tuesday in Washington on seven federal charges. The charges include Entering and Remaining on the Floor of Congress, Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building, and Obstruction of an Official Proceeding, which is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Kelly was originally arrested on two misdemeanor charges in January connected with the insurrection. A grand jury convened on Nov. 10 and decided to file five additional charges on Dec. 3.

"The U.S. Attorney's Office for that district has taken this very seriously. And they have attempted to fit charges within the context of what people did," Eric Tindal said, a defense lawyer in Iowa City who helped explain how charges explain throughout the life of a case.

• Upvote 9

This is an excellent video:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

A couple Florida Republicans...yeah, you guessed it....voted more than once.

Two registered Republicans living in Florida’s sprawling The Villages retirement community have been separately charged with voting twice in the 2020 presidential election, according to court records.

The defendants--Joan Halstead, 72, and Jay Ketcik, 63--have each been charged with a felony fraud count, according to court records. Halstead and Ketcik, seen in the above mug shots, were freed from custody last week after posting $2000 bond.

Halstead and Ketcik are registered Republicans, according to Florida state voting records.

Investigators allege that Halstead voted in person in Florida in late-October 2020, and “also cast a second ballot in New York via absentee ballot.” Halstead bought her home in The Villages in April 2020 for $250,400. At the time of the purchase, Halstead listed her address as a residence in Rochester, New York. Halstead sold the New York property after buying her Florida home.

Hypocrisy, thou art Republican.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

People, if your significant other commits Federal crimes you might not want to brag about it on social media.

A woman whose Facebook posts led to her husband's arrest after he participated in the January 6 Capitol riot said at his sentencing on Monday that she never expected that her social-media comments would be used against him.

Gary Edwards, of Churchville, Pennsylvania, was sentenced to a year of probation on Monday and ordered to pay a $2,500 fine and $500 in restitution over his role in the insurrection, court filings seen by Insider said.

At Edwards' sentencing, his wife, Lyn Edwards, told a judge that she was speaking "off the cuff" when she wrote about her husband's experience inside the Capitol in now deleted Facebook posts to friends, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

"Never in my life could I have dreamed that something I posted on Facebook would be used against my husband, would lead him to be arrested," she said in court, The Inquirer reported.

He got off a lot fucking lighter than he would have in Judge 74's court.

• Upvote 10

23 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

This is an excellent video:

He (correctly) brings up what I have long thought. Military recruits (an ongoing military members) have long received, without option unless there is an actual/real allergy, numerous vaccinations, including yellow fever, anthrax, typhoid, etc., plus the usual vaccines that the general public would get. At least part of the reasoning being that military units could not do their job in the event of conflict or war if they become ill, so the military tries to prevent that. There are centuries worth of history (not limited to the US by any means) for which the actual blame for military defeat has been communicable diseases.

Aside: Typhoid vax really makes a person feel bad for a few days; it used to be required in my profession.

Since when did military members decide that 1) they should use unreliable sources for their information, or 2) that they have a personal choice to not follow military policy, and 3) inconsistently receive vaxes for illnesses that are far less common, and for which the vaxes have far more side effects but not Covid?

One more thing: If "we" want our paychecks to keep coming, we are required to generally follow the rules our employer has established. A choice to not follow rules means a choice to not get the paycheck.

Gah. Sorry for the length. This is a peeve of mine. FTR I would be vaccinated anyway, but my (hospital) employer also requires it and I follow that rule, too.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

19 hours ago, 47of74 said:

People, if your significant other commits Federal crimes you might not want to brag about it on social media.

He got off a lot fucking lighter than he would have in Judge 74's court.

"Never in my life could I have dreamed that something I posted on Facebook would be used against my husband, would lead him to be arrested," she said in court, The Inquirer reported.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess neither of these two are members of Mensa. Also @47of74, may I reserve a seat in your courtroom? I would thoroughly enjoy watching Judge 74 open up some big cans of judicial whoopass. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess neither of these two are members of Mensa. Also @47of74, may I reserve a seat in your courtroom? I would thoroughly enjoy watching Judge 74 open up some big cans of judicial whoopass. 

@47of74, can we eat in your courtroom if we bring enough for everyone? 

Spoiler

Hungry Scooby Doo GIF by Boomerang Official

• Haha 8
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, apple1 said:

Since when did military members decide that 1) they should use unreliable sources for their information, or 2) that they have a personal choice to not follow military policy

I am interested to see if the military starts cracking down on this. I also am wondering if there will be court martials over military members being involved in Dec 6th. 

• Upvote 11

10 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.bdde3a77c44196939958bf82ee02e3c5.png

image.thumb.png.523c55ceaf9eb6698218ec8bef89c65a.png

Good!  I hope they are held responsible.  It's about damn time someone made clear that freedom of speech doesn't mean you can yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre - or tell inflammatory lies using your national media platform.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

On 12/23/2021 at 12:43 PM, apple1 said:

Since when did military members decide that 1) they should use unreliable sources for their information, or 2) that they have a personal choice to not follow military policy, and 3) inconsistently receive vaxes for illnesses that are far less common, and for which the vaxes have far more side effects but not Covid?

TVs are turned to Fox News  24-7 in on-base facilities all over the world,  backing up the crazy these folks are encountering on social media.  If their commanding officers, their master sergeant and others are sucked in by Q/Trump/conspiracy theories, they may be even more vulnerable.  Just remember how many people were sucked into birtherism. 

There are many many calls to ban Fox News playing on TV monitors on military installations.  

My concern is that the military and LEOs are riddled with white supremacists/neoNazis, QAnons, Oath Keepers and all the crazy.   One would think that officer ranks were be less vulnerable to the crazy -- in the past it would have been unthinkable -- now I'm not so sure. 

When retired generals publicly express concern about the potential for divided loyalties leading to treason in the ranks, it's time to pay attention. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

19 minutes ago, Howl said:

There are many many calls to ban Fox News playing on TV monitors on military installations.  

It would be interesting to see what would change if they switched to only US military news allowed. I mean, yeah, it's switching propaganda, but the military is better off at least trying to control the narrative in their ranks.

• Upvote 8

On 12/23/2021 at 1:13 PM, Cartmann99 said:

@47of74, can we eat in your courtroom if we bring enough for everyone? 

Hide contents

Hungry Scooby Doo GIF by Boomerang Official

don't forget the

F0085201-B7A4-4479-BA90-A9D8E239C208.thumb.jpeg.93944b3e32297d61952544199828ec6a.jpeg

• Haha 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic