IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 42: Prosecution Rested. After His Conviction Maybe We Can, Too

HerNameIsBuffy

15 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm so sorry!  Going forward we're going to let the threads go to 25-30 pages.  I know it's frustrating so if you're typing up something you don't want to lose I suggest doing it in word or something and C&P when it starts getting near the end of the threads.

Well yea, but I really want the fries and can you throw in a chocolate malt as well 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 22

3 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

What does the defense mean by ‘complicated’? 

Thats up for debate.  If I had to take a guess... let me offer a scenario.

I wanted to make a video montage of rescue dogs.  I made a video, but needed music.  I found a song online but it was a mashup and it wasnt something I could buy.  Sadly, it was also only on youtube - but it was the PERFECT song for my video! So... I used a grabber program to snag the youtube video, then I used an audio program to strip the audio from the you tube video to make it an MP3 so I could use it as my awesome rescue dog soundtrack.  Is that "complicated?"  MEH.  Is it something I could open in VLC, yup.  Is it "beyond the ken of the average juror?" (the standard for an expert).  NOPE.  Are there people reading this thread that will say "Buzzard, you're an idiot, you could have just XXX,"  likely.  But, I got my audio and my montage rocked (I also emailed and asked to venmo the artist money).  

I'm guessing Josh did something similar to that. 

• Upvote 23
  • Thank You 6

13 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I wasnt swiping at you - just the expert!  What she's saying doesnt make any sense other than trying to make something really common and easy complicated.  

I know everyone is lovely here (just I am as much use as a chocolate teapot with tech haha)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

People dont just go nuts the first time he found his way into the darkest corners of the dark web.  You stick your toe in first, lurk, then decide to dabble

Thank you. The CSAM Josh downloaded is among the worst of the worst. That stuff does not suddenly appear in a pop-up while you're reading People or the daily newspaper. You have to go looking for it on the dark web. Those who host or provide access on the dark web are also cautious about who they allow on to their websites or forum or whatever, if only because they know LE has successfully infiltrated such online places.

Sorry for repeating my self, but I recommend listening to the CBC podcast Hunting Warhead for an in-depth look at who distributes this stuff, how they do it, and who seeks it out. Also again, a major CW-TW for the podcast because there is some very difficult & awful stuff in some episodes.

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 26
  • Love 1

@HerNameIsBuffy

True, but in this case it was prove both the computer was password protected (as protected as you can be with a dumbass password like JoshuaJJ) and the partition had another password (the one that matched his bank, utilities, SM) and the router had a password as well.  Idk what that is, but no one did this without his passwords.  

Yes that's what I was implying. I mentioned the non-password case in answer to the general "is this possible?" question.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Thank you. The CSAM Josh downloaded is among the worst of the worst. That stuff does not suddenly appear in a pop-up while you're reading People or the daily newspaper. You have to go looking for it on the dark web. Those who host or provide access on the dark web are also cautious about who they allow on to their websites or forum or whatever, if only because they know LE has successfully infiltrated such online places.

Sorry for repeating my self, but I recommend listening to the CBC podcast Hunting Warhead for an in-depth look at how this who distributes this stuff, how they do it, and who seeks it out. Also again, a major CW-TW for the podcast because there is some very difficult & awful stuff in some episodes.

Thats the most significant thing.  I hope that it came out in testimony but wasnt reported.  You cant log onto tor and "google" the answer to the types of videos he downloaded.  You cant even get into the boards where they are posted just by signing up.  You need street cred and experience.  

• Upvote 16
  • Disgust 5
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Thats the most significant thing.  I hope that it came out in testimony but wasnt reported.  You cant log onto tor and "google" the answer to the types of videos he downloaded.  You cant even get into the boards where they are posted just by signing up.  You need street cred and experience.  

Thank you for explaining this in a way even I can understand. As disturbing as it is. 

Is it a bit like if you needed to post a parcel, you cant just know the rough area someone lives, you need their exact street address-and for them to open the door?

• Upvote 12

I've tried to keep up, but I may have missed it.  I seem to remember years ago on the show, that Josh had some sort of computer/film studio at home.  Wouldn't someone with that, have at least a better than average knowledge of how computers work?  Yes, it was a long time ago, but if he was interested back then, why not keep up on current technology.  So when it comes to computers, I would think he is dumb, but not so dumb.  

As far as Anna's parents not being there, I'm hoping it's because they are helping take  care of those 7 kids.  Its possible that she is embarrassed to have her parents there to hear all of it.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Fun-Dee said:

Quote: I seem to remember years ago on the show, that Josh had some sort of computer/film studio at home.  Wouldn't someone with that, have at least a better than average knowledge of how computers work?  Yes, it was a long time ago, but if he was interested back then, why not keep up on current technology. 

Wouldn’t it be great if the prosecution played back old episodes of the TV show to drive home their point?

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
I’m not as tech savvy as Josh
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

4 minutes ago, 3KidsAndStopped said:

Thank you for explaining this in a way even I can understand. As disturbing as it is. 

Is it a bit like if you needed to post a parcel, you cant just know the rough area someone lives, you need their exact street address-and for them to open the door?

Even harder.  Even if you think you might have the right address, it's like a speak-easy.  You need to convince someone to confirm that you have the right address and actually let you in.

• Upvote 25
  • Disgust 4
  • Thank You 3

On Reddit Michelle Bush her CV was mentioned. She is from AZ, it’s an easy Google. How can she be considered an expert?

My husband actually has a master in IT and he has major questions about her knowledge and thinks it will be very easy to debunk her. Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Natalie22 said:

Even harder.  Even if you think you might have the right address, it's like a speak-easy.  You need to convince someone to confirm that you have the right address and actually let you in.

Wow. So definitely not by accident or browsing then. 

Court is out for the day now.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
edited double post
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Jinderella said:

On Reddit Michelle Bush her CV was mentioned. She is from AZ, it’s an easy Google. How can she be considered an expert?

My husband actually has a master in IT and he has major questions about her knowledge and thinks it will be very easy to debunk her. Fingers crossed!

Maybe she wasn't their first choice but she said yes so they went with her. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

6 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

Which is why I'm surprised Josh was so dumb about everything. Did no one tell him how to wipe a hard drive? Or, you know, to shut the fuck up when the cops came?

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

Bush continued her testimony with defense attorney Justin Gelfand.

She said there are apps on the Linux partition that could allow for remote access.

Remote access can also be done with command codes, she claimed.

Edited by 3KidsAndStopped
Trying to make text smaller, it is inexplicably big

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

Which is why I'm surprised Josh was so dumb about everything. Did no one tell him how to wipe a hard drive? Or, you know, not to shut the fuck up when the cops came?

I mean, I think we all think we'd be great under pressure, but you'd be surprised at how people react against their better judgment when it actually happens.  Again, plugging Hunting Warhead, but when the person who created and ran several of these CSAM websites was arrested, he sang like a bird despite his big talk about how the feds would never get anything from him.  

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1

1 minute ago, 3KidsAndStopped said:

Remote access can also be done with command codes, she claimed.

What does that have to do with anything?

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I’m going to rephrase. I’m a lot disappointed Jill won’t get to testify. Part of it is wanting to hear her story in her words but a lot of it is me personalizing. I never got a day in court or to face my abusers and I really want that, for both Jill and myself.

This trial is a bit rough for me.

My guess it Jill were to testify it would only be in regard to what she witnessed that led her to "snitching" on Josh since that was included in Bobye's statement  I'm glad she didn't have to go through getting on the witness stand and relive it in the public eyes.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Do you think they are trying to imply whoever did this had to.know command codes to use the system and therefore could.know command codes for remote access?

MAY 14, MAY 15 VIDEOS

Michelle Bush said two .mov files were streamed on May 14.

That evening, CSAM was downloaded between 5.05pm and 5.40pm.

Bush said no one had to be behind the computer, that it was streamed over a network.

On the morning of May 15, between 11.35 and 11.41am, three torrent movie files were streamed, she said.

She said some torrents on the Linux side were not viewed.

• Upvote 3

I don't believe anyone in the computer industry uses the term "command codes" in that way. Is that legalese or someone trying to explain something technical badly?

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 3KidsAndStopped said:

Do you think they are trying to imply whoever did this had to.know command codes to use the system and therefore could.know command codes for remote access?

Maybe? But why would that matter? The defense argument seemed to be that Josh isn't tech savvy enough to know Linux commands, but someone who remotely accessed his computer did. Why would it matter if this hypothetical person used the command line or an application? Unless they're saying Josh wouldn't know how to use command line for remote access, but then why would Josh need to remote access into a computer he was in the same room with?

I'm sticking by my assessment that Bush's job is just to confuse the jury.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Uodate discussing type of material found potentially distressing or triggering

Spoiler

WORST OF THE WORST'

On the evening of May 15, Michelle Bush said, there's evidence of five torrent files between 5.22 and 5.41pm.

She testified that there wasn't evidence that the two child sexual abuse material files that Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Gerald Faulkner previously said were "the worst of the worst" he'd ever examined were downloaded or viewed.

PREVIEWS OF VIDEOS

Michelle Bush testified during questioning from Gelfand that she found evidence of thumbnails of previews of the movies/images of child sexual abuse material.

She said it was hard for a user to find and view thumbnails on a computer.

Bush said that evidence of the material once existed but no longer does.

SOME FILES EXTRACTED

Michelle Bush also testified that there were 65 images in one particular zip file.

She said the files were extracted, but that the evidence told her they were not opened.

She claimed if the file was opened, there would be evidence on the computer

Edited by 3KidsAndStopped
  • Upvote 2
  • Angry 2
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic