IGNORED

(Possible CSA Warning) Josh & Anna 36: Waiting for the Trial

Coconut Flan

One of my brother's elementary classmates was named Richard. Of course the very instant someone found out about Dick being a nickname for Richard they told him "good thing your last name isn't Head". 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Laura2730 said:

Other witness is Bobye Holt (wife of senator Jim Holt)- see my post above! 

I wonder if she’s the family friend who wrote the letter and left it in a book that was found later and used to report the allegations to Oprah’s team. I can’t remember if the name of the friend was discovered back in 2015 (?) when the story came out.

• Upvote 5

Wow. Hearing that Jim Bob is avoiding being served meanwhile he's singing happy birthday to Spurgeon in the TTH... that's wild.

This judge did not sound warm to the defense's claim that molesting children would be relevant to whether you would seek out images of that behavior. But I'm glad the judge is going through every single hoop to make sure the process doesn't become an easy target for appeal.

This part was particularly interesting to me:

“Would [Duggar] dispute that these statements were made?” the Judge asked Gelfand, referring to the potential witness testimony.

“He would not admit that these statements were made,” Gelfand answered. “The devil is in the details.”

Just mind-boggling. I cannot imagine being one of the survivors of Josh's abuse right now. You were told he repented and was sorry and was better after Jesus work camp. You might have even gone on national television saying you forgave him. And now the fancy lawyer your dad is paying says Josh disputes that it even really happened like he admitted before.

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

There’s a lot to unpack here but they want one or two witnesses regarding the child molestation history. One witness is already under subpoena, and a potential witness, Jim Bob Duggar, can’t be reached.

Now things are getting interesting! This explains why the Boob was nowhere to be seen in the video Jessa posted of Spurgeon's birthday party at the TTH.  The coward is probably in hiding.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, VixenToast said:

Orrrr, you could thumbs down the racist ones, like most have been doing. Considering the tragedeigh bestowed upon m7, at least it’s relevant thread drift.

otherwise, enjoy my story about a white country kid I met once named Abbigaiyle. Or the country twins Stormi and Summer Knight. It’s always the country kids with atrocious names.

I think Stormi and Summer Knight are amazing names. Also think so much of the name shaming is just purely cultural and / or regional. There’s no objective reason why a creative or unusual or traditional name is generally “good” or “bad” . BUT choosing Madyson for a baby whose father is known for a sex scandal involving the word Madison is just an absolutely wrong choice. Period. 

Anna not only walked with Josh, holding his hand, on a set of stairs he was slightly in front of her and  she put her hand on his back, not even him putting his hand on her back, to support her going up the stairs in her heels, looking clearly uncomfortable and still a little postpartum walk— no she supports him. Ew. Gross. Gross. Ew. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 10

Well, at least if Jim Bob is in hiding, he can't be out campaigning. That sounds like a benefit to the people of Arkansas. 

• Upvote 34
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I once had to decorate a cake for a boy named MySon. She was very adamant the S was capitalized. 

I’ve learn that a Fanny in the UK is a vulva while a Fanny in the US is a butt. So I guess it might be slightly less offensive in the US. But it’s not a popular nickname. Fran and Frannie are more common nicknames for Frances. 

Historically, the name “Fanny” was a perfectly proper nickname for Frances through the 18th and 19th century in both the UK and the US.  Not only a couple of characters in her novels but one of Jane Austen’s nieces was named Fanny.  Another major writer during the period, Frances Burney, was known to many as Fanny.  In the US, at least one major character in a Louisa May Alcott novel (An Old Fashioned Girl) was named Fanny.

At the same time, John Cleland’s Fanny Hill  (18th Century) was making use of the “naughty” associations of the name.  What seems to have happened is the “naughty” associations didn’t catch on with the popular use of the name until the middle of the twentieth century.

Something similar seems to be happening with “Dick.”  It has been an accepted nickname for Richard from as far back as Shakespeare’s time (probably earlier).  At some point (don’t know when, but at least by 1910) it also becomes a nickname for the penis. This does not stop people from using the nickname through the 20th century.  I went to school with boys nicknamed “Dick” and, more importantly, most of my generation learned to read with “Dick, Jane and Sally.” (Basal reader series— discontinued in the 70s, I think.)

Language is always changing.  In the nineteenth century, “making love” meant simply to court and often didn’t involve kissing.  I can remember when “gay” just meant “happy” and “queer” meant “odd” or “uncomfortable” in most circumstances. (You could say, “I feel queer,” if you had a stomach ache or felt dizzy after going around in a merry-go-round too fast.)  The same things happen with names.

Names are popular or unpopular for a lot of weird reasons, and parents can’t always anticipate them. (“Karen,” for example, acquired its negative connotations fairly recently.)  Parents should make an effort, however.

Edited by EmCatlyn
Fixing mixed up sentences.
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, VixenToast said:

otherwise, enjoy my story about a white country kid I met once named Abbigaiyle. Or the country twins Stormi and Summer Knight. It’s always the country kids with atrocious names.

A long ago housemate had an older relative named Fredabelle, because when you think you are going to have a boy and name him Fred...this was in rural Texas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 6

How can a dude with 19 kids and a statewide election campaign be hiding? Seems like he'd be pretty easy to find, TBH. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 17
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Historically, the name “Fanny” was a perfectly proper nickname for Frances through the 18th and 19th century in both the UK and the US.  Not only a couple of characters in her novels but one of Jane Austen’s nieces was named Fanny.  Another major writer during the period, Frances Burney, was known to many as Fanny.  In the US, at least one major character in a Louisa May Alcott novel (An Old Fashioned Girl) was named Fanny.

At the same time, John Cleland’s Fanny Hill  (18th Century) was making use of the “naughty” associations of the name.  What seems to have happened is the “naughty” associations didn’t catch on with the popular use of the name until the middle of the twentieth century.

Something similar seems to be happening with “Dick.”  It has been an accepted nickname for Richard from as far back as Shakespeare’s time (probably earlier).  At some point (don’t know when, but at least by 1910) it also becomes a nickname for the penis. This does not stop people from using the nickname through the 20th century.  I went to school with boys nicknamed “Dick” and, more importantly, most of my generation learned to read with “Dick, Jane and Sally.” (Basal reader series— discontinued in the 70s, I think.)

Language is always changing.  In the nineteenth century, “making love” meant simply to court and often didn’t involve kissing.  I can remember when “gay” just meant “happy” and “queer” meant “odd” or “uncomfortable” in most circumstances. (You could say, “I feel queer,” if you had a stomach ache or felt dizzy after going around in a merry-go-round too fast.)  The same things happen with names.

Names are popular or unpopular for a lot of weird reasons, and parents can’t always anticipate them. (“Karen,” for example, acquired its negative connotations fairly recently.)  Parents should make an effort, however.

You should watch “The History of Swear Words” on Netflix. I imagine you would like it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You should watch “The History of Swear Words” on Netflix. I imagine you would like it. 

I was just going to mention that! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Howl said:

A long ago housemate had an older relative named Fredabelle, because when you think you are going to have a boy and name him Fred...this was in rural Texas. 

I kind of like it. Frederica would have been my guess for an unexpected girl named Fred.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

In high school I had a friend who would refuse to let anyone know her middle name. It was Frederica.

• Upvote 1

The Holts and Duggars haven’t been friends for a long time. I imagine Bobye Holt has very little good to say about teen Josh. 

• Upvote 34
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:
11 minutes ago, Howl said:

I kind of like it. Frederica would have been my guess for an unexpected girl named Fred.

I used to work with older people, and I knew a lady there named Fredonna. She was very sweet, her daughter called her Freddie. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I used to be involved in the field of Snow Science and when attending an annual conference several years in a row I started noticing several "on topic" last names, including Ice, Snow, and Berg.  

I became so intrigued that I did a little research and discovered that when people have an occupation that is related to their name, it's called an aptronym.

Of course it used to be much more common hundreds/thousands of years ago which is how people originally got the name Smith, Miller, Baker etc.

And sometimes it seems apparent that the person's name is what originally inspired them to go into that occupation (like the Shakespeare teacher named Shakespeare mentioned above).  Or the family near me named Beeman who has hives and sells honey.

But when it seems like it a pure (or almost-pure) coincidence like with my conference colleagues, it always strikes me as extra amusing and interesting.

Edited by church_of_dog
forgot an s
  • Upvote 18
  • Thank You 1

25 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

In A Christmas Carol,  Ebenezer Scrooge's beloved sister was names Fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

There’s no objective reason why a creative or unusual or traditional name is generally “good” or “bad” .

Every traditional name was once a brand new name. 🤷‍♀️

I just got home and I'm reeling over the amount of news. The Holts? Jim Bob Hiding? A hint towards the ruling on past behavior? It's so much to take in! 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

How can she support him during this trial? It's inexplicable and inexcusable.

Screenshot_20211118_204954_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.be18193cd743eeb08b146de57fbed9cf.jpgScreenshot_20211118_205003_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.f4e439c623301faec6dd23ffeadbc98d.jpg

Put me in the group who believe Anna will never leave. 

• Upvote 10
  • Angry 3
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 7
  • I Agree 20
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

In high school I had a friend who would refuse to let anyone know her middle name. It was Frederica.

In one of those weird, name associations Frederica sounds like paprika which makes me think of potato salad, barbecued hamburgers and summer. All in all, a name that has happy vibes for me. 

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Holts and Duggars haven’t been friends for a long time. I imagine Bobye Holt has very little good to say about teen Josh. 

Totally agree about that. I wonder why he told her. Will journalists be able to release information about the evidentiary hearing once its concluded or do you think it will all be sealed?

• Upvote 2

Just now, HideousGreenShirt said:

How can she support him during this trial? It's inexplicable and inexcusable.

Screenshot_20211118_204954_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.be18193cd743eeb08b146de57fbed9cf.jpgScreenshot_20211118_205003_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.f4e439c623301faec6dd23ffeadbc98d.jpg

Put me in the group who believe Anna will never leave. 

If Anna hasn’t left by now, I doubt she ever will. I bet she will visit him in Prison regularly. She will bring him lots of stuff to make his life easier behind bars. And she will welcome him with open arms when he gets out. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

I’m assuming JB is terrified of being under oath. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

Just now, Laura2730 said:

Totally agree about that. I wonder why he told her. Will journalists be able to release information about the evidentiary hearing once its concluded or do you think it will all be sealed?

Who knows. Maybe Bobye witnessed Josh doing something. 

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic