IGNORED

The errant spouse encountered some interesting Hasids.

anniebgood

He was on his way to a service call at a Ralph's market in west LA, near La Brea and Third, and he had his work stuff with him. ( Ralph's is our local Kroger). As he walked to the front door he was stopped by some men in full Hasidic clothes (long coat, black hat, white shirts) who asked him first if he spoke Hebrew and if he was Jewish. They were carrying Palm Branches and holding Citrons. BTW it was over 95 degrees that day and they were in full sunlight.

He said no he wasn't but his savior was a Jew and he thought that was close enough. There was a woman going into the store just ahead of him who was laughing after he said that.

This was the first time he's ever been outreached to by Jews. It was in a heavily Jewish area though.

From what I read here, it's not a usual occurrence. When he came out there was a group of men standing there arguing in Yiddish.

They are trying to get non-observant Jewish people to do some mitzvas and move toward keeping more observance. You can find them in places where there is both a concentration of observant Jews (usually Chabad, as far as I know) and a likelihood that they will find enough non-observant secular Jewish people to make the task worthwhile. When it's not a holiday (with some special holiday thing you can do) you can find them asking people if they want to put on tefillin (the leather straps put on for prayer), same deal.

Because they're looking for already Jewish people who aren't observant, it's not quite the same thing as witnessing the way evangelical Christian people sometimes do it - if you say you're not Jewish, they're not interested any further.

I was approached by a pair carrying gift bags at Barnes and Noble when I was in college. They just asked me if I was Jewish, I said no, and they walked off. No biggie.

They are trying to get non-observant Jewish people to do some mitzvas and move toward keeping more observance. You can find them in places where there is both a concentration of observant Jews (usually Chabad, as far as I know) and a likelihood that they will find enough non-observant secular Jewish people to make the task worthwhile. When it's not a holiday (with some special holiday thing you can do) you can find them asking people if they want to put on tefillin (the leather straps put on for prayer), same deal.

Because they're looking for already Jewish people who aren't observant, it's not quite the same thing as witnessing the way evangelical Christian people sometimes do it - if you say you're not Jewish, they're not interested any further.

Yeah, it's Chabad. I was approached by 2 frum girls in a heavily Jewish neighbourhood, asking me if I was Jewish. I said no, but that I was actually in the process of converting (which I was at the time). They thought that was the coolest thing ever. They also asked if I had any Jewish friends. They gave me some candles for shabbos, with a message saying that women & girls are responsible for bringing peace to world by observing shabbat & lighting shabbat candles, or something to that effect.

It was actually pretty cute.

I used to live right at 3rd and La Brea!

And yeah, it's not that unusual to see chabad outreach stuff in that area and pico robertson. =)

That's interesting. There is a Chabad synagogue about 9 blocks from us in Redondo Beach and we see people walking home on Friday nights. I've never seen them at the market down the street or anywhere around there. There was however a local police car parked in front of the front door on Rosh Hashanah all the way through Yom Kippur. It was there to discourage vandals I think. The only thing about this synagogue is that they painted it the most awful color of pea soup yellow. Puke yellow to be exact.

He's been to this Ralph's a lot for jobs (they have a old cranky safe) and this is the first time he's been approached.

I've been to our local Reform Temple a couple of times, with their substitute organist. The service was quite familiar, with the readings from the Torah, the Psalms, and the OT books after the Pentateuch and then the message from the Rabbi. It was really interesting.

Thanks for the info about what my husband encountered.

Definiely Chabad, they were going to offer you material to build your Sukkot.

Chabad is actually trying to get others to perform the mitzvah of lulav and etrog.

For those who aren't Jewish, the "lulav and etrog" thing is a commandment from Leviticus 23:40:

On the first day you shall take the product of hadar trees, branches of palm trees, boughs of leafy trees, and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.

Edited to remove nit-picking. I engage in it enough as is!

Archived