IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 19: Leaning on the Everlasting Gwen

Coconut Flan

On 9/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, Xan said:

Okay.  The video was a bit uneven and Dan Gryder keeps using "and that hurt" in the video -- sometimes when it isn't quite appropriate.  However, it's worth watching.

Gryder got pulled in by the HBO people on their documentary.  He's not sure if his stuff will be edited out or not but he contributed.  He looked up the divorce records of Gwen and David and interviewed David's brother who said that Gwen and David had been estranged for years.  The divorce was a blessing for David and he got over three million dollars in cash to go away.

Gryder seems to think that Gwen pulled in Joe to make Remnant more television/video worthy.  That didn't work.  Joe's name wasn't even on the plane.  Gwen didn't put his name on anything.

And Remnant tried to get Joe's daughter away from the mother.  They're still trying.  Gryder says that he's pursuing this because of Natasha, Lara's ex-wife.  He says he will keep posting even though Remnant hacked him.

Gryder says that Remnant is hurting financially since Gwen died.  Their content is down and they don't have many subscribers.  He thinks it's on the way out.

I hope it is on its way out , but those people will fight to the bitter end to keep it going! Their wealth and luxurious income depends on it. RF LOVES separating children from their parents!!! That is their specialty!!!!  So doesn't surprise me that they are still trying to get custody of Joe's little girl. RF are some sick people folks!!  From what I understand that there was hefty hefty life insurances that were left!!!!

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I've lived through a cult just as bad as RF that also pushed unhealthy eating patterns, and no, it did not put a smile on my face. A guy on the internet fat shaming a woman has never and will never be funny.

I do understand what your saying but I guess until you have lived and still living through their abuse, You may or may not see it differently.  

8 minutes ago, bffyly said:

I only skimmed the video, but the only fat shaming I saw was of someone I wouldn't really even consider fat. (I'm fat for real, so my view is probably distorted haha).

Yes she isn't fat at all, but according to RF standards, she would be.

11 minutes ago, finacial ice said:

I do understand what your saying but I guess until you have lived and still living through their abuse, You may or may not see it differently.  

Then explain. What is amusing about a man calling a thin woman fat? What is the punch line? What exactly should we be seeing that makes it funny to call a woman fat?

Lots of members here have lived through some really horrible cults, so it is hardly like we can't understand what it is like to experience something like RF. 

EtA: not trying to jump on you, but I have found when dealing with my own beliefs that it helps to really think about why I found something acceptable or amusing. And to consider the deeper implications of actions like fat shaming. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 5

On 9/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

He said Gwen grew up in CoC and that her roots were there. It's possible Gwen started out CoC and fell in love with parts of Judism that she culturally appropriated. I don't think Gwen was Jewish, and she was probably raised some denomination of Christian.

He did mention the bolded part in the latest video. It was in the list of "that hurt". It's probable he doesn't have a full scope of how widespread her teachings were, but that can be hard to figure out retroactively.

I really wished he start a story and finish it, but I did learn things from the video. 

Yea his stories are not the "normal" but I think they are made that way on purpose.  He has his own original "corky" way of making them and honestly I think its stands out from the crowd! Genius idea and oddly entertaining. I appreciate that. 

Re WDW and The Trinity

Trying to remember a date, really can't - but years ago it surprised me to see that the Lutheran church where I was confirmed was shilling WDW on its lawn sign.  WDW was tangentially on my radar, and the surprise was that (a) a conservative Lutheran church would participate and advertise for it; and (b) the upper-middle-class congregation would have many fat members.  Don't hate, that's what I thought.

Anyhoo, as it happened it wasn't a lot of time later that I heard the conservative Lutheran radio host reporting on how Gwen denied The Trinity, specifically Jesus as truly human and divine.  My membership at the tony congregation was long gone and my participation in congregational activities was, as usual, severely minimal.  So unable to say for sure what happened there or anywhere.

But I can say that I never ever saw nor heard mention at any Lutheran level of WDW after Gwen's move to the "Oneness" doctrine.  So, yay for my old homies, is what I'm saying.   ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, bffyly said:

I'll check back when I can to see if others have the time to respond and/or offer insights. Also, a big shout out to AmazonGrace for devotedly snarking on the daily thinspirations. It's that kind of activity that reminds me why I love the internet. Also thankful for all the survivors (RFSurvivors, FRfamANON, WorseThan1Thinks, and others) who have shared and give me hope for my family members.

Welcome to FJ!  and thank you. Gwen's word vomit is a veritable treasure trove of snark material I think we're on the third round of reading some of them and you can still probably find something wrong in there that was never snarked on before.

Remnant Zombie Uprising: Pains! Pains! Pains!

The thing about brains, brains, brains is, if you say it often enough you may begin believing it. Pain is certainly something that may respond to suggestion. If you expect to be in pain things may feel more painful.   If you eat one more bite, you are going to be in pain! You had lots of eating-induced pain in the past! You're gonna stop eating because you're scared of the pain!  I don't want to eat because it causes pain! When you used to eat you cried yourself to sleep because you were in pain!

I don't know about you but the only time I've ever been in pain because of eating was when I had food poisoning. Certainly never because I ate one extra bite. And I've never ever cried myself to sleep because eating hurts so much.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

57 minutes ago, finacial ice said:

Yea his stories are not the "normal" but I think they are made that way on purpose.  He has his own original "corky" way of making them and honestly I think its stands out from the crowd! Genius idea and oddly entertaining. I appreciate that. 

Im gonna hope that you meant "quirky" here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't know about you but the only time I've ever been in pain because of eating was when I had food poisoning. Certainly never because I ate one extra bite. And I've never ever cried myself to sleep because eating hurts so much.

I've cried myself to sleep over being fat, but never because eating hurts so much. I've cried myself to sleep because NOT eating was super hard! I just can't get into tying my weight to my eternal salvation. So, naturally, I ended up marrying into a family with strong RF cult ties. 

I can't remember anyone else mentioning this, but I feel like Gwod/Gwen very much had the look of a social x-ray (Tom Wolfe's term for the over-dieted society women in his book Bonfire of the Vanities), and she certainly catered (pardon the pun) to the upper-middle class fundie base. I also seem to recall some sociological literature (link to jstor article) that found that the only people who were truly distressed (as a group, individual mileage may vary) about being overweight/obese were upper-middle-class women (I'm oversimplifying, but the point is that her audience is hand-picked to fall for her schtick).

Anywhoo, just enjoying joining this community -- sorry if I'm over posting or anything. :)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, bffyly said:

Hi! I'm new here. I went back and read through all the threads (took a week or so), and I so appreciate finding this snarky (yet compassionate) group. I've got family ties to RF, and they are strong enough that I want to protect my identity in case any of my younger family members ever start to question things -- I'd like to be a soft landing spot and not be labelled as an obvious enemy.

From one close RF family member to another...welcome! I relate to your comment sooooo much- I am also keeping a close relationship for a similar reason. I really appreciate the fact that this board is annon. but I wish all of us could chat. The documentary coming out scares me so much. I really want RF to be exposed for what they are, but my instinct is to want to protect my family. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 9

1 minute ago, ChadelBaj said:

From one close RF family member to another...welcome! I relate to your comment sooooo much- I am also keeping a close relationship for a similar reason. I really appreciate the fact that this board is annon. but I wish all of us could chat. The documentary coming out scares me so much. I really want RF to be exposed for what they are, but my instinct is to want to protect my family. 

Same. I also have a healthy level of morbid curiosity about the documentary, but that is overshadowed by the dread. I feel like the documentary is going to focus a lot on the Joe/Natasha legal battle, which would be a shame because it's just the most publicly-titillating example of the RF cult issue. The physical and mental abuse of members should be the focus. Oh and the hair, of course.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

14 minutes ago, bffyly said:

The physical and mental abuse of members should be the focus. Oh and the hair, of course.

How many bump-its.....?

Welcome and never worry about posting too much! ❤️ 

• I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Just now, WorseThan1Thinks said:

Here is one of the official posters from WarnerMedia's PR department.

image.png.d1aeb89653dd6556ccb2a315c4cccc47.png

I approve of showing her hair in all its bigness. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 4

54 minutes ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

Oh my god (or Gwod) that tag line

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I'm intrigued that the trailer doesn't reference the plane crash at all (except through the clip of Gwen and Joe walking toward a plane). I know it's been announced that the documentary series will be divided into two parts (three episodes this fall and two in early 2022, right?). I wonder how far into the first three episodes it will go before the "reveal" about the crash.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, cacophony_grey said:

I'm intrigued that the trailer doesn't reference the plane crash at all (except through the clip of Gwen and Joe walking toward a plane). I know it's been announced that the documentary series will be divided into two parts (three episodes this fall and two in early 2022, right?). I wonder how far into the first three episodes it will go before the "reveal" about the crash.

I wonder if they are going for a “surprise” effect so they don’t want to reveal it in the trailer 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

This is a really flattering image of Gwen. I saw her a few months before the plane crash and she did NOT look this good.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, RFfamANON said:

This is a really flattering image of Gwen. I saw her a few months before the plane crash and she did NOT look this good.

This was my thought too. lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

17 minutes ago, RFfamANON said:

She looks healthier in color. But she looks strange due to her makeup and hair. She always looked so weird because of the makeup and hair. She looked ordinary before she started her own church. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

29 minutes ago, RFfamANON said:

I thought the same.  She had this wierd thing going on with one eye looking much smaller than the other.

Okay, I finally watched Dan Gryder's last video and have a few thoughts.  I thought early on that Natasha was feeding him with information based on some of the things he said.  I'm still not sure what I think about her exactly.  I had heard many stories about her before the plane crash, but I do realize that I was getting this from my RF Friend who was just hearing the church gossip, so I need to take it with a grain of salt.  Maybe she is a wonderful person who was stuck in a vicious custody battle with her ex who happened to be married to a cult leader.  Or maybe there is some truth to some of the things I have heard and it is not so black and white.  I am on the fence and it is a part of my personality to be skeptical and not take everything at face value.  It's what kept me out of this cult, ya know?   But, I know that many of you have embraced her side of the story whole-heartedly, as has Dan.  So, don't come for me!  😀

I also assumed that she was behind this documentary being made.  She is Serbian, right?  And the director, Marina Zenovich is of Serbian descent, so I am sure that is not a coincidence.  And of course, I saw her talking in the trailer, so....

Do you guys think really think that Natasha is in fear of her life from RF?  That they are still trying to take her daughter?  They would not have a legal leg to stand on and even Joe Lara's mother probably doesn't have a case.  Can anyone investigate whether the Joe's mom has filed anything legally.  Of course, it probably wouldn't be filed in TN since the child is not there anymore.  There is a case in Florida where it is widely believed that a wife/mother and her family killed the ex she was in a custody battle with to get her children and be able to relocate.  I have been following the case and his parents have been trying to see their grandchildren for years, with no luck.  Grandparents just don't have rights to get custody unless they can prove the parents are unfit, and that's a tall order.  They have introduced a bill in Florida that says if you are grandparents and there is a reasonable belief that your child has probably been killed by their spouse, you can file for visitation rights of their children.  How wild is that?

So, I don't think Joe's mom would have any chance to see the girl without her mother's consent let alone get any type of custody.

Lastly, I don't like how Dan mentioned that he was going to expose the member's in Remnant and their children.  I saw that some woman told him off in the comments and of course, she is probably from RF.  But, I do agree with her that naming the children or trying to cause any issues for them is just unacceptable.

I sure would love to spend a day reading the documents in Dan G's box, though!

Edited by RFFriend
  • Upvote 6

7 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

But I can say that I never ever saw nor heard mention at any Lutheran level of WDW after Gwen's move to the "Oneness" doctrine.  So, yay for my old homies, is what I'm saying.   ;)

I've heard of "oneness pentecostalism", but Gwen didn't teach that.  How do you define Gwen's "oneness" concept?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ChadelBaj said:

I can relate to you guys as well.  My people will be devastated if/when RF collapses and this documentary is horrifying for them.  I hate to see them get hurt in all of this.  But, I want them to face the truth.  I just know that is going to be painful for them.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• Pathologic Antagonist changed the title to The Smith Family Tragedy Redux
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic