IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

28 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I wonder how he has all these "conversations" yet no one ever tells him to mind his own business. 

He doesn't tell us about those.  Or the people who look at him like he's crazy and don't respond.  Steve will always be selective about what he shares.

• Upvote 7

Remember the young man who worked at the grocery store and told Steve he wasn't interested in Steve "helping" him find another job?   Good for him!

Steve couldn't believe the guy turned him down and was planning on going back and talking to him again.  I wonder if that happened, and how it turned out.

• Upvote 8

21 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Men telling woman they should smile is misogynistic as hell. It's an age old tactic. 

I wonder how he has all these "conversations" yet no one ever tells him to mind his own business. 

Because most people aren’t him-

• Upvote 3

On 4/1/2022 at 12:57 PM, Coconut Flan said:

He doesn't tell us about those.  Or the people who look at him like he's crazy and don't respond.  Steve will always be selective about what he shares.

Yep, Steve probably has been told to mind his own business.   I know someone who likes to have these sort of "conversations" with random people and yes, this person does get told off. 

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

Two new Seriously, Dads? since Steve didn't post last week's til tonight. Here's Surprises Aren't Always Good and it's from April 12 or April 6, 2022. 

We are living in troubling times when what is good is called bad and what is bad is called good.

Well, that sounds like the Trump administration to me. Also reminds me of some of the new anti-LGBTQ laws.

“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter” (Isaiah 5:20)! 

Some bible verses I recognize! It was in Randall Thompson's The Peaceable Kingdom, which wasn't all that Peaceable. 

Will your children (or you) jump ship and choose to swim with the current societal direction or be sufficiently prepared by God’s Word and in love with the Lord Jesus that they will swim against the current?

Too many Christians watching movies, television, and  spending time on-line.

An important factor will be how well you have prepared them for what’s ahead. “Saying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles:” (Mark 10:33). The disciples had to be told what was coming so they would understand that God was ultimately in charge.

The disciples frequently ignored warnings of what was ahead. Most of them were unprepared for the crucifixion. 

Children look to their parents to see how they will respond – a fearful reaction or a calm response. “But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles” (Matthew 10:17-18).

Most fundies do not respond calmly to things they see as threats from the outside world, and I've witnessed panic about the world by fundie-lite people close to me. Steve, you weren't calm and you don't sound calm here. You sound panicked. What got into you last week?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

The next Seriously, Dad? is here. It's called How Long Can You Hang and it's from April 13, 2022. 

There is a school of thought that hanging from a chin-up bar is really good for your spine. It stretches the ligaments and opens up the vertebrae enhancing mobility and lessens discomfort for those who have back pain.

No idea if this is true, but I've always struggled with chin-ups. 

However, there is a catch. It is not easy to “dead-hang” very long. All is good at first. But as the seconds tick up, the hands begin complaining, and they eventually scream – ENOUGH! Then you drop down and recover.

This is not something I have a lot of experience or expertise in. 

One’s thoughts while therapeutically hanging easily go to how that used to be a way of inflicting horrible pain to prisoners by hanging them by chained wrists. I can not imagine the ongoing pain as the iron “bracelets” cut mercilessly into the flesh and tendons without relief.

Neither can I, but it's not something I think about much.

Man’s inhumanity to man knows no bounds.

True!

The spoiler has the next part where Steve graphically describes crucifixion:

Spoiler

Now consider instead of crude iron handcuffs, spikes driven through the wrists to keep you suspended. If it wasn’t for the spikes driven through the feet, suffocation would come fairly quickly. But the goal isn’t a quick death, it is suffering excruciating pain as long as possible.

Well, it is Holy Week.  

Even if Jesus Christ didn’t own us, (1 Corinthians 6:20) how insurmountable is the mountain of debt we owe Him? The God of creation paid the penalty for our sin. 

He wasn't the only person crucified, and how Christians best honor his sacrifice is open to interpretation. Personally while we're on the subject of sacrifice, I think it's sad how many Christians refuse/d to made/make sacrifices like wearing a facemask, social distancing and getting vaccinated. These measures would seem in keeping with the Christian tradition to make sacrifices to help others.

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1 John 4:10). We gave Him the filth of our sins, and He gave us His righteousness. Glory!

I don't really want to mock the religious teachings and doctrine. It's not the problem.

The problem is not everyone wants to live like Steve, and this argument is ineffective in convincing me that we should adhere to your principles.

I'm sure this doesn't offend Steve's audience, but why not make it a regular blog post? Why hide it in the Seriously, Dad?s? What does this specifically offer to men who are dads? Maybe he thinks women folk don't want to hear about exercise and are too tenderhearted to hear about crucifixion? 

• Upvote 7

The "I'm a fun guy" post got me thinking about how Steve can't have an emotion (or not have an emotion) without using its presence (or absence) to manipulate people.

• Upvote 5

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Loving Spring and it's from April 20, 2022. 

I take great delight in springtime – new life appearing after months of death.

How poetic! On a separate note, Steve again assures us that he is a happy guy.

The Bradford pear trees are beautiful but ubiquitous. When in full bloom, it is beautiful to the observer, but sadly, it bears no edible fruit. 

It is not enough for the tree to be beautiful in Steve's eyes; it must be unique or bear edible fruit.  On the other hand, the trees are apparently an invasive species from Asia.

New Paragraph:

What a great time to reflect on the life in Christ that Jesus gives those who have repented and trust Him as payment for their sins. Hopefully, you have been praising the God of creation for the life He gave us in Christ. I marvel and am in awe — our filthy sins for His righteousness.

Yes, Easter is a good time for Christians to contemplate what God has done for us. It's also time to enjoy the season of spring and appreciate the gifts of spring, birds, animals, flowers, etc. Christians should also praise God for making beauty in the world. 

Oh, my Brothers, it must not stop with our praise. We are His workmanship created unto good works. Are we surrendered and living, bearing fruit? “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). If we follow Him, abide in Him, we will bear fruit and not just look good to the observer. 

Steve, the majority of the your readers are Christian fathers, your target audience. They are raising children and raising them to be good Christians. By your standards they are "bearing fruit". 

This column is like the Bradford Pear Tree, beautifully written and yet pointless. It doesn't really contain information and anyone who is trying to follow the advice here is already trying to follow the advice here.  

I will say Steve seems happier since this year. I hope he's enjoying his new season of life.

• Upvote 3

New Seriously, Dad? is called History Repeating and it's from April 27, 2022. It's a miserable screed.

Beware.

Well, I will now Steve. This short paragraph sets the tone for this essay.

Next paragraph:

Prior to the flood: “And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5).

Another short paragraph!

Next paragraph:

Sodom: “But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly” (Genesis 13:13).

The Flood from Noah's Ark and Sodom and Gomorrah! Steve has an appetite for destruction.

Next paragraph:

God’s people while being delivered from bondage: “They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel: But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert. And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul” (Psalms 106:13-15).

More bible verses. How about more exposition along with the quotes? This seems to be while the Israelites wandering in the desert.

Next paragraph:

God’s people turning to idolatry: “… after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt” (Exodus 32:4)

The golden calf! If he can be short, so can I.

Next paragraph:

Time of the judges: “… every man did that which was right in his own eyes” (Judges 17:6). 

I don't know the context of this one, but I can guess that this is another verse about God deciding he's pissed as hell and going to punish people.

Next Paragraph:

Oh my Brothers, be on guard. Love Him. Be in the Word. Live the Word. Follow Him. “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it” (Matthew 16:24-25).

God is ready to smite people Steve is sure of it. Be good so God won't smite you, according to Steve.

Steve you don't know the hour or the day. People you like are going to do things that disappoint or go through hard times, and people you don't like are going to have good things happen. Get over it!

Yet not one word about fatherhood! Where are the memories? Any news you want to share? 

• Upvote 5

New Seriously, Dad? is up. It's called Weeds and it's from May 4. 

I have been spraying the weeds that my yard pre-emergent didn’t kill, and there are still a lot of weeds. This is my second spraying and likely won’t be the last. I’m using an excellent weed killer, but I’m surrounded by yards full of weeds. I’m not complaining. I respect my neighbor’s choice for the level of effort they choose to make. To have a nice yard takes an investment of time and money. For some, it is important and not for others.

I hope your weed killers are environmentally friendly. I also hope you don't give your neighbors a hassle about weeds, but I could Steve deciding to let this go. He's probably a lousy neighbor, but he's more likely to try to God bother than weed bother. I would prefer neither.

What a great analogy to the challenge of raising children who will follow the Lord Jesus Christ. Christian families are surrounded by people who are living for every bit of fun and pleasure/carnality they can get out of this world. Even after your children are saved and have tasted of the joy of the Lord, the pull of the flesh should never be underestimated. “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit” (Romans 8:5).

WTF! Non-Christian children are weeds! F*ck you, Steve!

and how pro-life of you to want to legislate away reproductive rights and then call the resulting children weeds! Double F-U!

Worldly neighbor friends are tough but tougher are worldly extended family.. The closer and tighter those relationships, the harder it is to resist the influence of the world. On top of that, the more “fringy” attenders at church, Sunday school, and youth group, may provide the greatest pull of all on your children’s hearts toward the flesh. “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners” (1 Corinthians 15:33).

First sentence has two periods. God, I feel sorry for his grandchildren. Youth group is too evil for them! For the love of God Steve, give it a rest!

Jesus had fun Steve! His first miracle was providing more alcohol for a wedding when the guests were undoubtedly eating, drinking, and making merry. He had friends. 

Here's a bible verse for you, Steve:

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Romans 12:15

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5

If there is a god, Steve will have a hell of a lot of explaining to do once he reaches the pearly gates. Starting with why did he turn up his nose at & attack others for enjoying the life their god gave them. 

He is a miserable man. He sits in judgment to avoid looking at his own epic failings in this life. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Sounds like someone is pissed that his kids and grandkids have slightly lowered their standards for being Christian. Sarah moving out and wearing jeans made me extremely happy. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Are the grown Maxwell kids "weeds" now?

Not Chris Not Nate, but for the others …. Have Jesse & his wife had a baby yet???

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Not Chris Not Nate, but for the others …. Have Jesse & his wife had a baby yet???

I don't think John and Chelsy are the weeds either. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Oh Right! Thank you.  
So basically, a p-holder in Leavenworth, Kansas = Good Turf. 

P-holder in another community in Overland Park, Kansas = Weed (?)

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Not quite yet, but I wonder. I think Steve and Teri had to accept her buoyant personality, lipstick and makeup  wearing, more stylish modest clothing once John married her. But I don't think they liked it one bit and I can't help thinking the Maxwell "girls" took notice. Now John and Chels attend a Baptist church which is not Steve and Teri's that appears conservative but not fundamentalist.  The pastor sports longish hair, there are multiple Sunday School and youth activities. The church website does not promote itself as KJV only that I could determine. So not in the mold of Steve.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Since the blog is no longer updated, we would have no way of knowing.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Since the blog is no longer updated, we would have no way of knowing.

Joseph & Jesse do a podcast together for Swift Otter & it's on Youtube. They discuss work, but mention why one of them is away at any given time. Not a blog and not guaranteed updates, but something to pay attention to if you really want to know. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called GIGO and it's from May 11, 2022. 

“GIGO” is a relatively common acronym. If you aren’t familiar with it, it means, “garbage in, garbage out.” If someone puts non-beneficial/harmful material into something, we can expect to get something of equal or lesser value out of it.

Well, thanks for explaining that. I thought it was Gen-Z internet slang, but it's actually a math and computer science term.

The Scripture equivalent of that is “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap”(Galatians 6:7). A very sad example of that is we are a nation that has thrown God out of the government schools, and we are reaping unimaginable moral corruption. 

Oh, fudge! None of your grandchildren go to public school (that we know of) so why do you care? It's not of your damn business.  We have freedom of religion covered by the first amendment, which means people should have a choice in whether to believe in God. Get this anti-freedom crap out of my face!

It is easy to point fingers, but may we examine our homes first. What place does the Word of God have in your home? Is everyone having a quality time of reading a Bible first thing followed by a prayer? Do you lead your family in the Word every night? As you experience life’s situations, do you relate them to Scripture so the family can develop understanding? 

We've heard this before and most of your readers are devout Christians! Being religious is a choice and doesn't make someone a better father or person! People have the right to believe in God or go to church themselves.

My Brothers, we are blessed beyond measure to have the written Word of God in our hands. May it be in our hearts. It is so needful and practical. “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalms 119:105). 

Not everyone gets value from the Word of God! If you enjoy it and find it useful, good for you! Not everyone needs the bible or find it practical!

I would describe this column as GIGO, boring, repetitive, and barely containing any new points. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

On 4/27/2022 at 6:18 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I don't know the context of this one, but I can guess that this is another verse about God deciding he's pissed as hell and going to punish people.

Yeah this was before the time of the kings (Saul, David, Solomon etc).  It was basically a revolving door of the people doing whatever they want, one of the neighbouring nations oppressing Israel, the people calling out to God for help, and then God sending them a superhero judge to free the people from the oppressors so they were free to briefly follow God before turning back to doing their own thing. Popular examples of judges are Samson and Gideon.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:06 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Even after your children are saved and have tasted of the joy of the Lord, the pull of the flesh should never be underestimated.

I'm not really comfortable with Steve talking about children in relation to 'the pull of the flesh'.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, fundiefan said:

Joseph & Jesse do a podcast together for Swift Otter & it's on Youtube. They discuss work, but mention why one of them is away at any given time. Not a blog and not guaranteed updates, but something to pay attention to if you really want to know. 

“Really” want to know may be overstating the case. I’m just curious. Thanks for the lead! 

• Haha 1

Watching Steve's carefully cultivated, bizarre family culture fly apart at the seams, leaving him to mutter all his old tropes to no one in particular - my schadenfreude knows no bounds.  

• Upvote 11
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 9

On 5/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, petrushka said:

Not quite yet, but I wonder. I think Steve and Teri had to accept her buoyant personality, lipstick and makeup  wearing, more stylish modest clothing once John married her. But I don't think they liked it one bit and I can't help thinking the Maxwell "girls" took notice. Now John and Chels attend a Baptist church which is not Steve and Teri's that appears conservative but not fundamentalist.  The pastor sports longish hair, there are multiple Sunday School and youth activities. The church website does not promote itself as KJV only that I could determine. So not in the mold of Steve.  

John and Chelsy go to the same church that Steve and Teri do.  Sarah also goes there, and Mary and Anna went before college.  Teri is on the missions committee, Sarah volunteers at the church nursery, and J&C are in the video header on their website.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic