IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

At home I keep my blinds down cuz I don't want people looking in as I'm also a very private person. 

Steve reminds of a woman in my camping group that likes to watch other group members when we are camping.  I have told her to stop it as I feel like I am being stalked.  Last summer I was at my site reading in my chair and she was at the campsite across from mine visiting another group member.  I looked up and caught her staring at me.  As soon as we made eye contact she turned around quickly. She claims she likes to people watch but she's just being nosey. She doesn't want us to know her business but has no problem sticking her nose into mine.  It's gotten to the point where I pick a spot as far away from her as possible.

She has also taken pictures of club members without their knowledge and posted them on her social media pages.  We don't want her doing that because we don't want people to know we are out of town then come home and find out our homes were burglarized.  In fact her grandson has an arrest warrant out right now for burglary.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 3

Steve didn't enjoy last year's Christmas lights. 😂

His latest article is called Junk or Jesus? (and he's looking at you Joe and Jesse 👀)

The lights were technologically well done, in fact even a work of art, but instead of anything Christ-honoring (or even neutral), disco-dancing Santa Clauses were everywhere. If Santa was the focus of your Christmas, you would have loved it. However, I’m hoping that wasn’t true for any of you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 12
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

That man is always bitching and moaning about something.  I went to a concert.  I hated it.  I saw Christmas lights.  I hated it.  People keep their shades down.  I hate that...  He's always complaining.  No one wants to live with negativity all the time.  That would drive me crazy.  

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 10

9 hours ago, theologygeek said:

That man is always bitching and moaning about something.  I went to a concert.  I hated it.  I saw Christmas lights.  I hated it.  People keep their shades down.  I hate that...  He's always complaining.  No one wants to live with negativity all the time.  That would drive me crazy.  

The shades thing is super creepy.  If their neighbors read their blog I can imagine some keeping even greater distance when they run into them.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

Jesus turned water into wine. The masses ate, drank and were merry. Even Jesus knew when to lighten up, Steve. Joy suck, and nothing more.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

27 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The shades thing is super creepy.  If their neighbors read their blog I can imagine some keeping even greater distance when they run into them.

If he walked by my house, I'd change my shirt right in the window.  With no bra on.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

20 hours ago, theologygeek said:

It would drive me crazy, too.  I feel for Teri.

My theory?  Here is a man whose kids are now grown, out of the house, and beyond his control.  And he does not like it.  Not one bit.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9

Not only does Steve not like it I think it must have caused him to doubt himself and his superior way of life. I’m sure he expected his sons to be clones and follow his directions forever. It must be extremely confusing to him that they are doing things differently. 
I hope the loss of control drives him absolutely bonkers.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

Not only does Steve not like it I think it must have caused him to doubt himself and his superior way of life. I’m sure he expected his sons to be clones and follow his directions forever. It must be extremely confusing to him that they are doing things differently. 
I hope the loss of control drives him absolutely bonkers.

I hope you're right, because self awareness is a good thing but I have a feeling he's incapable of doubting himself.  I think he's more likely to wonder what is wrong with the boys that they aren't following the one true path.  

13 hours ago, kpmom said:

It would drive me crazy, too.  I feel for Teri.

My theory?  Here is a man whose kids are now grown, out of the house, and beyond his control.  And he does not like it.  Not one bit.

Sadly, I think Steve's negatively pales in comparison to the black hole of happiness that is Teri.  I bet that between the two of them he's the fun one.  

Talk about a low bar to clear.

• Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

The blinds thing was crazy. We have honeycombed Hunter Douglas Duettes. On cool days, or warm sunny days, they’re wide open. On hot sunny days, they’re closed. Today is grey and snowy. They’re closed. Has nothing to do with the state of my soul and everything to do with my utility bill. As for Christmas lights…most people who have religious outdoor decorations have a cross or a manger scene in addition to wild lights and Santa Claus and his reindeer. There really isn’t much religious available beyond those two items. 

Yep, Steve is the king of negativity. I would either and die if I had to live with that the rest of my life. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

I normally keep most of my blinds closed, although a certain House Panther has something to say about that.

E852DB4B-543E-457D-8962-7EE93FCE6A16.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

On 1/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, SassyPants said:

Jesus turned water into wine. The masses ate, drank and were merry. Even Jesus knew when to lighten up, Steve. Joy suck, and nothing more.

I wonder if Steve would benefit from an antidepressant.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

6 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Or both!

As someone who was married to an alcoholic, I don’t recommend booze as a cure-all, but when it comes to Stevehovah, you may have a point. I remember his going on and on about all those people who were supposedly trying to force liquor on him at social gatherings. It gave off the same vibe as the time he damn near burst into tears when he inadvertently saw down a woman’s cleavage.

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, Hane said:

As someone who was married to an alcoholic, I don’t recommend booze as a cure-all, but when it comes to Stevehovah, you may have a point. I remember his going on and on about all those people who were supposedly trying to force liquor on him at social gatherings. It gave off the same vibe as the time he damn near burst into tears when he inadvertently saw down a woman’s cleavage.

I don't drink. It's just not something I have a desire to do. My friends understand this and no one has ever tried to force or trick me into having an alcoholic beverage. My in-laws have even stopped politely offering me a glass of wine because in over a decade, I've never said yes to it. But I remember a couple from our church growing up that got saved later in life, talking often about unsaved relatives trying to pressure them into "just one drink" and when they caved and said yes, then the unsaved relatives practically cackled with glee and ignored their attempts at witnessing. (It was portrayed as a direct cause and effect - they sipped the beer and the relatives immediately said "We don't believe you're really Christians." I'm wondering if they had a heavy-handed approach like I'm sure Steve has, which caused people in turn to try to force them/him to drink. Because I've been at plenty of gatherings where there was alcohol and this has never happened to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Bethy said:

Because I've been at plenty of gatherings where there was alcohol and this has never happened to me.

Ditto. I don't care for alcoholic beverages. I've never had a problem with people mocking me, begging me to have a drink, or anything else along those lines.

I can't help thinking it is often something in the behavior of the "we chose God over booze" types that aggravates people into it.

And, of course, they could just be lying.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 1/13/2022 at 7:48 AM, ClareDeLune said:

Steve didn't enjoy last year's Christmas lights. 😂

His latest article is called Junk or Jesus? (and he's looking at you Joe and Jesse 👀)

If I lived near Steve I would be so tempted to troll him by setting up these lights

(For anyone wondering the text comes from covid press conferences by our state premier, which were remixed, and then someone got creative.)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Is The Season is this week's Seriously, Dad? and it's from January 19, 2022.

Even though our children are now adults, memories are still fresh of sick children during the winter months. Life with little ones can be difficult enough normally, but when you add illness, it gets more challenging. Homeschooling moms carry a full plate of responsibilities. Illness simply adds to it. Here are some thoughts about this. 

Yep this sounds familiar.

Thank God. “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” (1 Thessalonians 5:18). As you give thanks, God will use your example to help your children learn gratitude even in difficult situations. You could pray with your sick children not only asking the Lord to heal them but also thanking Him for the opportunity the illness gives for your child to learn to accept the hardship of not feeling well, to be thankful for good health, and to be patient.

God doesn't make you sick, Steve. It's germs, viruses, bacteria, allergies, etc. I don't believe God causes everything that happens. I think there are things you can thank God for even while sick, but I don't think you need to God for being sick.

Help your wife. Take alternate nights in getting up to care for the children. Make the dinner meal while she rests. Pick up household chores your wife might normally do but can’t while caring for sick children. Take time off of work to care for her and the children if she is really sick. 

Good advice! If you are able to do it, you should. For once, Steve is a good influence.

Another consideration is when you have illness in your family, don’t take the sick ones to church. If you don’t like your children sick, why “wish” it on another family that you are called to love. “… Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself” (Luke 10:27). 

I agree with this too.

Actually this is one of the best Seriously, Dads? I've ever seen. Good, practical advice that will actually benefit a father and his family. Good Job, Steve!

• Upvote 18

Steve given advice when you have sick kids is nice. These men who read his articles actually doing it is completely different. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 9

This week's  Seriously, Dad? is called "Close the Door, Dad" and it's from January 26, 2021. 

How many times per child, per winter, does every dad call out, “Please close the door. We can’t afford to let our heat out and the cold in.” Children don’t naturally appreciate the money that it takes to keep a home warm during the winter and what it will cost to heat a home when frigid air is being allowed into it. Dads generally are very sensitive to things that impact finances, but how aware are you of what you might be letting in that can cool (kill?) the spiritual interest of your children’s souls?

I honestly don't remember having to be asked to close the door during the winter. During the summer, with the air conditioning yes, but not during the winter. Most kids to prefer to be indoors during the winter.

Fire or Ice? I usually picture people losing religion in more burning way. It reminds me of the Robert Frost poem.

My heart groans when I hear of the barrage of worldly influences that storm the hearts of children in this age, especially things they are told they can’t live without. Social media of all types, addictive music, dopamine-pumping entertainments, and computer games make TV and movies look like toddler toys in comparison. If that wasn’t enough, friends from church promote them so that every “normal” (worldly?) Christian young person MUST have them. 

dopamine-pumping? Fancy way of saying he's anti-fun. Steve seems up on the latest amusements and isn't just talking about television. I wonder where he's hearing about things like computer games, and social music. 

Having a plan to deal with the soul poison is important, but are you practicing good soul nutrition for you and your family? My heart breaks when I hear of families who aren’t in the Word every day. Are you daily leading your family in the Word, not because you “have to” but because you WANT TO and because you love God’s Word! 

Yes, how are you making reading the word a dopamine-pumping event? If you don't enjoy reading the bible and you don't want to do it, then you probably won't enjoy it.  I wonder what Steve would have people do who don't enjoy reading the bible-- skip it or read it anyway.

We are so blessed to have God’s Word in our hands. We have no excuse, (except maybe a lost heart) for not loving it and sharing it with our families. 

Again Steve seems to admit both that love can't be forced and yet you must love it and share with your family. Which is it, Steve?

Psalms 119:
97 “O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.”
113 “I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.”
163 “I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.”
165 “Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.”

This sums up how Steve feels. I'm confused by the biblical citation. The 119th Psalm isn't 165 verses long. 

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

How many times per child, per winter, does every dad call out, “Please close the door. We can’t afford to let our heat out and the cold in.”

In my house, it was “I’m not paying to heat the outside!”

I wonder what Steve would have people do who don't enjoy reading the bible-- skip it or read it anyway.

Definitely read it anyway.  Life isn’t all about f*n, after all!

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic