IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

21 hours ago, Bethy said:

there are literally fundie men who complain about "toe cleavage" when a woman wears sandals or even some flats

Not judging them for their kink but could they at least  be upfront about their toe-sucking fetish?

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Not judging them for their kink but could they at least  be upfront about their toe-sucking fetish?

If they feel guilty about it, they have to find a way to blame women. You've heard of modesty culture, right?

And I forgot about backless shoes, which the Maxladies DID wear (Clark's clogs) with a vengeance - I found one modesty website years ago where a man warned against the wearing of backless shoes because they give a "bedroom appearance." Because maybe ladies' bedroom slippers in, like, the 60s were mule-style, but my slipper of choice is a fuzzy shearling-lined moccasin, which I guess makes me more modest than most :D 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

On 8/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, Pammy said:

Gasp! Steve saw some skin in church on a hot Sunday! I'm somehow not shocked that he can't tell the difference between someone wearing a sundress with flip-flops, and a naked barefoot woman.

He needs to mind his own damn business and stop being so judgey.  At least they're going to church.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 8/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, Pammy said:

Gasp! Steve saw some skin in church on a hot Sunday! I'm somehow not shocked that he can't tell the difference between someone wearing a sundress with flip-flops, and a naked barefoot woman.

I think seeing female skin makes Steve feel out of control. There is no worse experience for him than feeling out of control (probably why he lives at Maxhell Fortress, protecting him from nakedness, sports and fun).

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

But in Steve’s mind they are not going to church in the “correct” way. They are not asking him how to be the best christian and how to raise the perfect family. Therefore they have earned his judgment of being unworthy.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

I wonder if this latest backhanded modesty angst reflects the fact that he's seen Sarah's wedding gown and/or bridesmaid dresses and doesn't like? I think only something like NR-Anna's, where it looked like a badly-fitting T-shirt on top with a long full skirt, would pass his check (and who knows, it might need long sleeves as well.) We're assuming Anna and Mary will likely be bridesmaids so he has a horse (or two) in that race as well.

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 3

On 8/16/2022 at 7:05 AM, Botkinetti said:

But in Steve’s mind they are not going to church in the “correct” way. They are not asking him how to be the best christian and how to raise the perfect family. Therefore they have earned his judgment of being unworthy.

Steve enjoys being appalled and judgemental, and he probably also enjoys seeing a little female skin, so he will probably keep coming to church.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

On 8/16/2022 at 5:02 AM, Cults-r-us said:

I think seeing female skin makes Steve feel out of control. There is no worse experience for him than feeling out of control (probably why he lives at Maxhell Fortress, protecting him from nakedness, sports and fun).

In that case he needs therapy. STAT

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

In that case he needs therapy. STAT

I think that all fundies could benefit from a little therapy!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 8/18/2022 at 2:48 AM, Angelface said:

I think that all fundies could benefit from a little therapy!

I think EVERYONE could benefit from therapy. I loved therapy when I needed it.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

My inner Trekker's first thought was that Steve is lucky Sarah is not having a Betazoid wedding.

And he needs to stay off of Ferenginar altogether.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17

Steve and Teri need to make sure their respective monthly messages still appeal to their followers and new potential customers. I’m surprised they aren’t better written, discussing topics that are relevant to conservative families of today and offering discounts on purchasing books (to reduce inventory).

My bet is that TitusII still has a lot of printed material (books, schedules, etc.) stacked in their big basement and they would like to sell it to generate income.  Once all the stuff is gone, they won’t be printing more and will go “out of business” - at their age, without the help of the kids,  neither of them is probably interested in dealing with the daily logistics of running the business anymore.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

They should hold a sale just to clear it out.  In fact they should have done that before retiring the blog.  Maybe they should make an effort to go to a few homeschool conventions and sell it all off basically at cost. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "What's Your Attitude?" and it's from August 24, 2022. 

Brace Yourselves!

Your attitude is vitally important. Your thoughts regarding your God-given responsibilities are powerful factors in determining the results ahead. Nehemiah was steadfast in his determination to build Jerusalem (Nehemiah 1:11, 2:11, 2:17) and you, my brothers, must be determined to build your families spiritually (Deuteronomy 6, Ephesians 6:4).  

Another week, another track about building your family spiritually. Same old, same old. 

New Paragraph:

Nehemiah had enemies around him who did not want him to succeed in the work God called him to (Nehemiah 2:19). You will face resistance (John 16:33) to building the godly family God has called you to build. The more godly your desires for your family, the more resistance you might expect. 

Translation: The more you insist on making everything about Jesus, the more people will you overdoing it. The more extreme you are, the more criticism you get.

It may come from extended family, neighbors, “friends” or sadly, even people at church who don’t like your particular direction. Initially, they might use disparaging/discouraging words (Nehemiah 2:19) to you or your family, and if that doesn’t derail you, they will likely try additional tactics. 

Oh, Steve!  I didn't like your tactics with Lolly the Clown and the face-painting to entice little children to Jesus. 

I always assume that you (Steve) writes these columns for people with children (0-18 years of age). Steve your baby just turned 26! I really want to believe that you aren't stupid enough to think you were still raising her. Maybe you're pissed with the direction Jesse and Joseph are taking their families. Maybe Joe wants to send his kids to a school (public or private)! Maybe this has nothing to do with your own family! I certainly hope so!  I certainly hope you're not stupid enough to think that everything has gone wrong, because your daughters moved out and one of them goes to a church where people watch television! 

New Paragraph:

Those against Nehemiah devised cunning ways and even intimidation to try to stop the building. Oh, my brothers, don’t underestimate the will of those who do not want you to succeed in raising children who love and serve the Lord Jesus. “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment” (Mark 12:30). 

If he hadn't brought up "friends" (notice the quotation marks) and people at church, I would just assume this is another evil atheists who are out to Christians. No, it's clear this is aimed at people he knows who have done something to either him and his children and his child and grandchildren.  It could be Joseph and school or Jesse and putting off having a family, but judging by the timing it seems likely this is somehow to do with Sarah's wedding. I'm not sure if he's upset Sarah married Kory or if something happened at the wedding that made him upset, but it does seem likely this has to do with the wedding.

I'm disappointed in you, Steve. I was hoping you would either be happy for or that you write something that couldn't possibly have to do with Sarah or her wedding. Instead, you're as miserable as ever, Ecclesiastes says "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1a) " A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;" (Ecclesiastes 3:4). Sarah's wedding should be a time to laugh, and dance, and maybe shed a few proud tears. . Romans 12:15 says "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. " It shouldn't be that hard to rejoice with your daughter.  

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

His children are all out from under his thumb and people he knows including people at church do not agree with how he brought up his family and how he teaches a family should be.  Life is hard sometimes.  

• Upvote 22

It’s strange to think that all 3 of Steve’s daughters are currently living far away from him and will be for some time. He probably will only see them all on holidays for the next 9 months. And if Sarah has a baby, he won’t be able to see that child all the time like he sees the other grandkids. And I’m so glad. His influence is destructive. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s strange to think that all 3 of Steve’s daughters are currently living far away from him and will be for some time. He probably will only see them all on holidays for the next 9 months. And if Sarah has a baby, he won’t be able to see that child all the time like he sees the other grandkids. And I’m so glad. His influence is destructive. 

Joseph lives far enough. He probably sees less of Joe's kids than his other grandkids.

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Joseph lives far enough. He probably sees less of Joe's kids than his other grandkids.

I think the only grandkid Steve really cares about and relates to is Joshua.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 4

18 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I really don't think he's happy with the choices many of his children are making. 

And most of those are being made by the ones born after his vasectomy reversal, and possibly Sarah as well.  Karma rules.

• Upvote 12

18 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "What's Your Attitude?" and it's from August 24, 2022. 

To which I respond: 

Seriously, Steve? Have you no shame? Are you so petty and narcissistic that you can't devote one of your posts to publicly wishing your oldest daughter joy and happiness on the occasion of her marriage to an eminently worthy man? What is wrong with you? Sarah gave you and Teri DECADES of her life, forgoing the chance to have a life of her own. Till now, I'd hoped that your silence just meant a wish to preserve the family's privacy or, better yet, that you were respecting Sarah's and Kory's wishes in this matter. This Seriously, Dad post makes it clear though that you are stewing in bitterness and resentment. How sad and shameful. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:57 PM, Bethy said:

Remember the Preparing Daughters site where Sarah was urging everyone to reconsider wearing any sleeveless clothing whatsoever because MODESTY. 

On 8/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, Bethy said:

I wonder if this latest backhanded modesty angst reflects the fact that he's seen Sarah's wedding gown and/or bridesmaid dresses and doesn't like? I think only something like NR-Anna's, where it looked like a badly-fitting T-shirt on top with a long full skirt, would pass his check (and who knows, it might need long sleeves as well.) We're assuming Anna and Mary will likely be bridesmaids so he has a horse (or two) in that race as well.

Prescient posts here! Sarah's dress was practically sleeveless, just the tiniest of cap sleeves that barely covered anything, and a contrasting belt. The bridesmaid's dresses were knee length with fluttery sleeves that covered nothing if the wind were to blow at all, and had v-necks. High v-necks so no cleavage, but still. 

And remember at her engagement Sarah was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a logo across the chest.

Poor sad smug Steve. LOL!

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

For me the saddest thing is that Steve puts his IMO crazy beliefs and repressive doctrine above his love for his family. 

Children don't always do exactly as you might wish, but his kid haven't done anything so awful that they would deserve his disdain..  I guess it would look really bad to the new church community  if he outright shunned them, so he writes these silly screeds and can't even publicly acknowledge the first daughter's marriage.  Like the big baby he appears to be.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Prescient posts here! Sarah's dress was practically sleeveless, just the tiniest of cap sleeves that barely covered anything, and a contrasting belt. The bridesmaid's dresses were knee length with fluttery sleeves that covered nothing if the wind were to blow at all, and had v-necks. High v-necks so no cleavage, but still. 

And remember at her engagement Sarah was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a logo across the chest.

Poor sad smug Steve. LOL!

And the dresses were very fitted! So many broken rules...

• Fitted bodices showed the form of the women
  • V-necks (arrow pointing toward the chest)
  • Necklaces (more arrow pointing toward the chest)
  • Knee-length dresses (they were strictly ankle-length when I started following them!)
  • Gladiator sandals with bare legs (back to that "naked and barefoot" thing)
  • Makeup (we didn't used to see that on the Maxladies)

And of course, the aforementioned jeans and shirt with logo. While doing a competitive nonsense game onstage at an event for youth who were not all accompanied by their parents and only their parents. For FUN! And then they hugged! They HUGGED! In the very same video montage that showed her getting a piggyback ride from him! Their wedding party included people that weren't birthed by Steve and Teri. Compared to Christopher's strictly no-touch courtship with a frumpers-and-a-bun young lady and their wedding with the stiff, boxy gowns for the women...you couldn't have two fundie sibling weddings go much more differently if you tried.

And Steve's postscript to the week is a rant about how the more irrationally strict you are, the more pushback you're going to get from people who care about your family.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

I will never forget Anna-Marie weeping at her wedding ceremony about how thankful she was to her parents for “training” her. Not for loving her.

• Sad 13
  • WTF 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic