IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

I have no idea what that photo is.

As Steve prepares to move on to the next decade of life, is it too much to try to control all his sons?  Has he finally realized that they are independent adults and it isn't his job to monitor them?  Is he feeling his age and wanting to retire from it all?

• Haha 13
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have no idea what that photo is.

It looks like a very full cow's udder, but I have no idea why it was in the last thread. Now I'm highly curious!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

3 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

It looks like a very full cow's udder, but I have no idea why it was in the last thread. Now I'm highly curious!

I agree that's what it is, but it makes me think of Steve's embattled testicles so ... there goes my lunch.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree that's what it is, but it makes me think of Steve's embattled testicles so ... there goes my lunch.

I found where the pic was. @thoughtful posted it with the quip, "Nah, the country is full of harlots who show their big, full boobs:"

So think yummy ice cream from cow's milk and big boobs. Maybe that could supercede the other thing?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 10
  • Thank You 3

25 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I found where the pic was. @thoughtful posted it with the quip, "Nah, the country is full of harlots who show their big, full boobs:"

Thanks for figuring that out. That was so long ago, I didn't remember it at all.

And I swear I made my comment about Steve and Teri smoking a joint (on the Rod thread) before reading the posts about it on the previous thread here.

GMTA, I guess!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Thanks for figuring that out. That was so long ago, I didn't remember it at all.

And I swear I made my comment about Steve and Teri smoking a joint (on the Rod thread) before reading the posts about it on the previous thread here.

GMTA, I guess!

I think we're just putting the idea of Steve and Teri enjoying some devil's lettuce into the universe!  

Forget about wanting a live stream of them high, I want a live stream of Sarah, Anna, and Mary watching them.  Like a "my parents are stoned" reaction video.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 19

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think we're just putting the idea of Steve and Teri enjoying some devil's lettuce into the universe!  

Oooh, maybe they'll make use of the pizza cutter on it before rolling them... 

And finally make a post about it!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 1

Maybe that's why Steve & Teri allow the daughters to go out hiking without them during their annual Colorado death march.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17

Steve has been obsessed with getting people to commit to reading the bible everyday. I've been wondering if there is a particular person he is upset with for not reading their bible everyday. I think it would have to be a son, because who else wouldn't just tell to Steve to Mind His Own Business.  Steve feels that if you can eat everyday, you can read the bible everyday.  Based on Love or Duty? it sounded like the person capitualated and started reading the bible everyday.  

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, thoughtful said:

GMTA, I guess!

I noticed the  joint joint topics on the two families' threads (see what I did there) and enjoyed it very much! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Steve has been obsessed with getting people to commit to reading the bible everyday. I've been wondering if there is a particular person he is upset with for not reading their bible everyday. I think it would have to be a son, because who else wouldn't just tell to Steve to Mind His Own Business.  Steve feels that if you can eat everyday, you can read the bible everyday.  Based on Love or Duty? it sounded like the person capitualated and started reading the bible everyday.  

I would love to hear the following conversation:

STEVE: (Son), did you read the Bible today? I know you ate today!

SON: Actually, Dad, I'm fasting today. If it's good enough for the Jews on Yom Kippur and the Muslims every day of Ramadan, it's good enough for me in Lent.

STEVE: (sputtering) Lent! Lent? Are you departing from the one true path to salvation, the church of Steve the .... er, John The Baptizer?

SON: Aren't you interested in what passages I read?

STEVE: (momentarily abashed) What did you read?

SON: I started in Ephesians and was studying what the Unaltered Augsburg Confessions of the Lutheran Church had to say about that book ....

STEVE: (head asplodes....)

And, scene.

What is Steve's idea of reading the Bible? Reading it? Murmuring, "Thank you Lord, thank you, Jesus" and praying for his own salvation and that of the world? Does he acknowledge that some people actually devote their lives to the interpretations and the deeper meanings and histories of the Scripture -- and still hold the Bible in the highest respect as the word of God?

He annoys me so much.

All this said: I recently turned 70. And I'm going in the direct opposite direction of relaxing my grip on my Junior JB's.  I am arranging visits with one of them every week on a rotating basis.  In the before times, I was extremely easy-going about meeting up with them.  Live and let live!

But over a year of prudent distancing and the stark reality of being 70 AND the seeming progress in the pandemic scenario have combined, and dadgummit, I WILL see my children at least every few weeks.  Nothing big.  Coffee, a cocktail, maybe a meal.  Alfresco or distanced in one of our bubble-homes.

Unlike Steve, I've let my children determine their own lives after getting them launched.  Like him, I have no regrets about doing it my way.  And now that we are where we are in life, this is what I want and this is what I quietly insist on getting.  And I'm very glad to say that the kids like it just fine.

Relax or don't relax, Steve. You've been a great cautionary tale of how NOT to treat one's children.  

• Upvote 13
  • Love 21

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

And now that we are where we are in life, this is what I want and this is what I quietly insist on getting. 

And from the POV of a daughter whose mom never said what she wanted because she didn't want to be a burden - please keep doing it! Your kids will eventually be very grateful you did.

My mom passed away suddenly eight years ago and I regret so very much that I didn't spend more time with her in her last years. It's all too easy being too busy to meet or talk, and if the other person never insists or asks for more it becomes even easier. I wish she had insisted more (and no, I don't mean to say it was her fault, just that I wish things had been different).

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 29

Our youngest son is moving to his own place today (yes, I'm a little emotional), so this discussion of making sure you spend time with your grown kids regularly is resonating with me very much.

I have to laugh, remember how Teri wrote that she and Steve tried not to "think" too much on the day Nathan got married so they wouldn't be overly emotional about him moving out? 

Well damn if I haven't been doing the same thing all week!!

Privately, and in my journal,I've let myself get a little sentimental, but a happy face in front of him.

Crap, I've become a Maxwell!!

• Love 24

2 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

And from the POV of a daughter whose mom never said what she wanted because she didn't want to be a burden - please keep doing it! Your kids will eventually be very grateful you did.

My mom passed away suddenly eight years ago and I regret so very much that I didn't spend more time with her in her last years. It's all too easy being too busy to meet or talk, and if the other person never insists or asks for more it becomes even easier. I wish she had insisted more (and no, I don't mean to say it was her fault, just that I wish things had been different).

Thank you so much, and please accept a remote hug. Never easy to lose a beloved parent, and when it’s sudden ... Anyway, thank you, sincerely, again. 

26 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Our youngest son is moving to his own place today ...

No you haven’t! ❤️  Big hugs from here. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

Rather than his daily bible reading obsession being about a rogue son, I think it all has more to do with the fact he is in an actual church right now. One where he didn't make all the rules and is not the sole enforcer of rules. He spends his time obsessing over other people's children and their behavior in church, their "cleanliness", whatever else he rambles and makes flimsy connections to daily bible reading. 

In an actual church, not everyone believes you must spend hours a day reading your bible - yet, they are still "good kristchens". They participate in youth & ladies & mens & other activities, together, with people they neither live with nor control - taking time away from daily bible obsessing. The pastor of that church decides the sermons & focus & whatever else, and it most likely does not center on sitting in the house, isolated from the rest of the world, feeling holier than everyone else on the planet, reading the bible - again. 

In actual churches, people talk & discuss the bible, their beliefs, whatever else. Steve is used to making proclamations for all and everyone falling in line because he said so. Women & men alike participate in church (I assume, I don't know how misogynistic their church is) - there is no one person telling everyone exactly how to behave and what to think and what to do - and especially not Steve.

Personally, I think Steve is having a crisis of faith. He spent years believing himself the perfect kristchen especially knowledgeable & blessed by his god, and now that he's in a church, he see's that he is not more important than anyone else and his laws are not the laws of others. He's melting because he has no fucking clue how to live in a world he did not create.

• Upvote 25

21 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Oooh, maybe they'll make use of the pizza cutter on it before rolling them... 

And finally make a post about it!

Sorry if this is huge, I’m bad at technology. I was perusing the blog recently and saw this picture of Abby clearly using that technique. It’s been passed down, and it was NOT to us FreeJinger. 

40F726CF-06E6-4B7F-83A7-B040BBCAB2AE.png

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 15

3 hours ago, kpmom said:

Our youngest son is moving to his own place today (yes, I'm a little emotional), so this discussion of making sure you spend time with your grown kids regularly is resonating with me very much.

I have to laugh, remember how Teri wrote that she and Steve tried not to "think" too much on the day Nathan got married so they wouldn't be overly emotional about him moving out? 

Well damn if I haven't been doing the same thing all week!!

Privately, and in my journal,I've let myself get a little sentimental, but a happy face in front of him.

My adult kids have moved out and back in a few times, for different reasons.  They are now both married, and probably permanently out of my house.  I've even had each couple move in temporarily while their housing situations were secured.  It was hard seeing them leave every single time, even when they were just moving across town.  I shed more than a few tears.  I was also happy to see them move on to the next phase of their lives, and to know that they didn't leave because they wanted to get away from me!  I sympathize with you!  It's sad to see them go, but it would be sadder if they were forced to not take that next step.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

On 3/6/2021 at 12:46 PM, Fun-Dee said:

My adult kids have moved out and back in a few times, for different reasons.  They are now both married, and probably permanently out of my house.  I've even had each couple move in temporarily while their housing situations were secured.  It was hard seeing them leave every single time, even when they were just moving across town.  I shed more than a few tears.  I was also happy to see them move on to the next phase of their lives, and to know that they didn't leave because they wanted to get away from me!  I sympathize with you!  It's sad to see them go, but it would be sadder if they were forced to not take that next step.  

When I got married, my husband and I lived in my parents basement apartment for 15 months.  My mom said she was crying the night we got married because I was "gone".  My dad was like, "She just moved downstairs..."  When we actually moved one town away, she cried all the way back to her house.  I am the oldest child and I'm sure it was hard on her.  She was probably rejoicing when my brother and sister left!

I am all about simplicity and routine.  I do not, however, want to be told how I will live my life.  I do not like being told what to do, except when I am being paid to do it at my job!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

In my family of origin we had a daily devotional. One or two verses and then an analysis from an actual theologian of what the verses meant, the context in which they were written, and how the passage  was relevant to our own lives. Just dutifully plowing through the Bible, chapter by chapter, without any outside input as to what the words mean, is like entering a hot dog eating contest and thinking that makes you a gourmet.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 9

31 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

In my family of origin we had a daily devotional. One or two verses and then an analysis from an actual theologian of what the verses meant, the context in which they were written, and how the passage  was relevant to our own lives. Just dutifully plowing through the Bible, chapter by chapter, without any outside input as to what the words mean, is like entering a hot dog eating contest and thinking that makes you a gourmet.

I dunno, is that better or worse than 'keys for kids' et al?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keys_for_Kids_Ministries

There was a paragraph of bible, then a 1 page glurge of a story, where Becky would be called on being a jerk and then Jessie would paraphrase a bible verse, and suddenly we were all aware that the prohibition on swearing also applied to saying 'Gosh' because they 'key' was 'minced words hurt like real ones' or somesuch.
(I feel bad poking fun.  Because when Uncle Charlie's predecessors were kicking this off, my grandma was sending them money.  And 40 years later, grandma was sending Uncle Charlie money. 
But man, as someone who has been to multiple recordings for CBH, I don't think there were WORSE kids Xian radio shows.  And that's saying a lot, considering the number of lousy ones there were.  Sorry Grandma and your DECADES of sending this drivel to our houses)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Years ago, I picked up a kids’ devotional at a local Christian bookstore(I’ve long forgotten the title/author/publishing house)which had short stories to drive home spiritual concepts.  Two I remember:

A boy spanks his puppy with a rolled-up newspaper to “teach him to obey me.”  He realizes that’s why his parents spank him.

Another boy makes a ramp for his bicycle, against his mother’s wishes.  The first time he uses it, he wipes out and breaks his arm.  Some time later, he’s complaining how much pain he’s in.  His mother replies “I think God wanted you to find out how much it costs to disobey.”

(There was another one with the lesson “Don’t use minced oaths,” but I’ve mercifully forgotten it.)

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 3
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, dawbs said:

I dunno, is that better or worse than 'keys for kids' et al?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keys_for_Kids_Ministries

There was a paragraph of bible, then a 1 page glurge of a story, where Becky would be called on being a jerk and then Jessie would paraphrase a bible verse, and suddenly we were all aware that the prohibition on swearing also applied to saying 'Gosh' because they 'key' was 'minced words hurt like real ones' or somesuch.

Oh, don't get me wrong! The devotionals were terrible, whether they were the children's version or the generic ones for all ages. And glurge is the perfect description. (man, it's been years since I've heard someone use that wonderful word so thanks for that and you may expect your copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul in the mail any day now)

Also, time had mercifully dimmed all memory of the Children's Bible Hour and now "Boys and girls for Jesus, This our earnest prayer. Boys and girls for Jesus, home, at school, at play and everywhere We’ll tell the world of life in Jesus, He is all our song." is stuck in my brain, so no thanks for that

Perhaps because it is Sunday when our local radio station aired one religious show after another, but tapping that dark recess of my brain where CBH has been for 60-some years also brought out The Old Fashioned Revival Hour with the Reverend Charles Fuller "And now Mrs. Fuller with the letters. Go right ahead Honey"  Gah!!!! Maybe I won't send you that anthology of glurge after all.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

He spilled tea on his keyboard. LOL.

These rants belong on his personal journal. Not on a newsletter where he pretends to give out sage advice.

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic