IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

• 2 weeks later...

This week's Seriously, Dad? is nuts in a different way than last week. It's called It Is a Serious Matter and it's from March 9, 2022. 

Assuming you have to work for a living, you likely have noticed something at work.

Yes, Steve most people have to work for a living. This is especially true of Christians fathers, whose wives are raising a full quiver and not working. 

It is amazing to me how men generally act around women in the workplace. Regardless of which one initiates it, it is common for there to be interactions between a man and woman much closer and familiar than is appropriate for someone who is married. 

I would think a lot of  Steve's readers work for themselves and don't have female coworkers. Also I wonder what Steve considers appropriate interactions between a man and a woman. Are they allowed to eat together, share a joke, work side by side at a computer, etc.?

It has the appearance that one of them might be “fishing” so to speak.

That can happen, but most co-workers are probably are just being nice. Especially the women, since too many men think any time a woman is nice to them that means she wants to sleep with them! Sometimes a smile and friendly tone are her way of being professional!

No wonder divorce is rampant.

Divorce happens for a myriad of reasons, including abuse, cheating, addictions, money issues, control issues, etc. Personally I think agreeing to a vasectomy to stop having children and then getting that vasectomy reversed and forcing the woman to have more kids is grounds for divorce. 

Hopefully, that doesn’t describe any Seriously Dads reading this. I pray that we take our marriage vows seriously.

At least Steve is admitting it's the husband's job to take his marriage vows seriously, and not just the responsibility of women. It's a low bar and Steve hasn't always cleared it.

New Paragraph:

Along a similar thought, could many be courting disaster? Do you know that we are “married to another” —the Lord Jesus? “Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God” (Romans 7:4). Our life is bound to His. He bought us with His precious blood. “For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s” (1 Corinthians 6:20). 

For some reason, I didn't see this bait and switch coming. While I agree being a Christian is a commitment, most Christians I know don't describe themselves as being married to Jesus, except for Catholic nuns. I think the idea of being married to Jesus is more a metaphor than a literal marriage, but who knows?'

New Paragraph:

Surely you have noticed others espoused to the Lord, yet flirting with the world. Some give much more than just inappropriate attention. They have given their heart to another.

Oh My God! What the heck! This is taking the marriage metaphor way too literally. You are NOT cheating on Jesus by watching television or movies or sports, etc. Or listening to secular music! Or reading other books besides the bible! That's not how this works. 

Keep distance from the world. Set your heart on Him. Be in His Word. Consume it every morning.

Steve, you're becoming a broken record. God so loved the world he sent his only son here! He didn't try to keep his son at home and out of the world. His son showed up and hung out with sinners and prostitutes. 

This is one of Steve's only topics. After the beginning, there was nothing about this post specifically for dads. Don't you have memories of when the kids were younger you can draw on for inspiration? Try to make the next one about fatherhood. 

• Upvote 12
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:56 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This is one of Steve's only topics. After the beginning, there was nothing about this post specifically for dads. Don't you have memories of when the kids were younger you can draw on for inspiration? Try to make the next one about fatherhood. 

Steve writes about what he knows and it appears he doesn't know much about fatherhood except for laying down laws for children to follow, with the ever-present threat of his enforcement.

OTOH, he does seem to know quite a bit about temptresses, and the challenges that modern day Medeas, Jezebels, Delilahs, Salomes, and Circes pose, that he is forced to resist on a nearly hourly basis. Contrasting buttons! Nekkid Knees! Collarbones! Wearing a bathing suit in your own back yard! The struggle is real.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 10

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Not That and it's from March 16, 2022. 

What is one word you hated to hear from your mother?

I could think of several words. Laundry, Dishwasher, etc.

That word still seems to bring sighs and groans today from most adults. 

I'm guessing the word is "No" and most fundies seem to believe everything will go their way. 

It’s something that the greater expects of the lesser. 

huh?

Some would consider how well a person deals with it as a measure of the man. 

Yes, I would agree that how someone deals with the word no says something about their character, but that also depends on the circumstances under which someone gets the no. 

That all was the first paragraph. Then it's this quote.

“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD” (Psalms 27:14).

It sounds like someone is impatient for something to happen and Steve is advising them to wait. It's very cryptic for those of us out of the loop. Steve, try to write a column for fathers that can be read by people who don't know you.

• Upvote 3

On 3/12/2022 at 4:56 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Oh My God! What the heck! This is taking the marriage metaphor way too literally. You are NOT cheating on Jesus by watching television or movies or sports, etc. Or listening to secular music! Or reading other books besides the bible! That's not how this works. 

Steveovah is still nuts I see.  At least his kids are no longer around to deal with his crazy on daily basis.

This reminds me of some of the more fundie students I knew at college.   They really didn't think one should listen to secular music, watch TV or read any other book besides the Bible.  It was Bible, Christian TV programming, Christian music.   I thought it pretty extreme not to mention it's got to be a boring life. 

• Upvote 9

10 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Steveovah is still nuts I see.  At least his kids are no longer around to deal with his crazy on daily basis.

This reminds me of some of the more fundie students I knew at college.   They really didn't think one should listen to secular music, watch TV or read any other book besides the Bible.  It was Bible, Christian TV programming, Christian music.   I thought it pretty extreme not to mention it's got to be a boring life. 

The Appalachian Bible College bans most secular music.  I was impressed that the concert Sarah went to with Chelsy and John included some secular music. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/18/2022 at 3:01 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Not That and it's from March 16, 2022. 

I could think of several words. Laundry, Dishwasher, etc.

I'm guessing the word is "No" and most fundies seem to believe everything will go their way. 

huh?

Yes, I would agree that how someone deals with the word no says something about their character, but that also depends on the circumstances under which someone gets the no. 

That all was the first paragraph. Then it's this quote.

It sounds like someone is impatient for something to happen and Steve is advising them to wait. It's very cryptic for those of us out of the loop. Steve, try to write a column for fathers that can be read by people who don't know you.

Read Chelsy's blog post.  She's got serious heart issues (mitral valve stenosis), and is having surgery on Thursday...along with a host of other health issues.  It explains M's premature birth, and maybe some of her other pregnancy issues, too.

Edited by MaryatHome
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Laughter Turned to Mourning and it's from March 23, 2022. 

I admit it. I really like to laugh and be happy.

For real? Nah, you're putting us on Steve. :huh:

As such I can struggle with being sober-minded.

I find this hard to believe. I can't believe Steve struggles with being sober in any capacity, even if it's just being sober-minded. 

However, that isn’t much of a challenge lately (Titus 2:2). My heart is so heavy with grieving and mourning. What am I so troubled about? 

I'm going to guess among other sad things a global pandemic that's almost 1 million Americans and 6 million people world wide, and the war in the Ukraine.

The spiritual condition of our nation, churches, and “Christian” families. Jeremiah has been my favorite prophet through the years, and I can relate more and more now. 

Shut Up, Steve! There are still plenty of Christian families as limited as yours.

New Paragraph:

When Israel conquered the land, God told them “thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth” (Deuteronomy 20:16). I told Teri the other night when we read that, I couldn’t imagine being a warrior then and having to carry out that command on the young and old. It is beyond my wildest imagination, yet, if God said it, He meant it. It revealed how serious God was about sin and wickedness corrupting His children. 

I have to admit these are parts of the bible I never read and seeing and reading for the first time doesn't connect my faith. Steve likes these blood thirsty passages even though he is a peaceful man for a fundie. 

God commanded it because He didn’t want this to happen: “That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God” (Deuteronomy 20:18). When we have the “good life,” we focus more and more on pleasure and forget our God Who said “According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:” (Ephesians 1:4). 

Did God command it or did some fundie of the time say God commanded it? It goes against my upbringing that the Lord is kind and merciful.

“For when I shall have brought them into the land which I sware unto their fathers, that floweth with milk and honey; and they shall have eaten and filled themselves, and waxen fat; then will they turn unto other gods, and serve them, and provoke me, and break my covenant” (Deuteronomy 31:20). 

Final Paragraph:

Instead of believers reaching the lost world, the world is reaching believers. Instead of the church reaching the world, the world is successfully reaching the church. 

How does this connect with the rest of the column? If it means people are more tolerant of others, good.

• Upvote 4

Ooh is sour Steve running out of goodwill for the church? He may be dragging Terri back to the nursing home soon. I’ve wondered how long he can let someone else be in charge. The girls aren’t returning, sadly for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Steve?  Happy and laughing?  Struggling with being sober minded?  The man who rails against fun?  I don't believe it for a minute.

And he and his judgemental ass can go to hell with putting Christian in quotation marks. 

The Russians aiming artillery day and night at Ukrainian schools, hospitals and playgrounds and Steve worries about families who don't buy into his version of Christianity.  Sure Steve, that's what we should be mourning right now. 🙄

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

Could this have anything to do with Appalachian Bible College cuz it looks like Anna and Mary are having FUN!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Could this have anything to do with Appalachian Bible College cuz it looks like Anna and Mary are having FUN!

I bet things are extremely different around the Maxwell house and it’s likely hitting Steve pretty hard. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Ooh is sour Steve running out of goodwill for the church? He may be dragging Terri back to the nursing home soon. I’ve wondered how long he can let someone else be in charge. The girls aren’t returning, sadly for him. 

Well they're old enough they could move into a senior center. If they go back, they will be back to being mistaken for residents.

4 hours ago, SPHASH said:

It wouldn't surprise if this was less his family and more the other families at church. ABC is still pretty strict and Maxwellian.

• Upvote 4

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Contagious and it's a continuation of last week's "I'm a happy and fun guy".  It's from March 30, 2022.

The phlebotomist opened the door, sourly confirmed my name for the blood test, and pointed at where I was to sit. She seemed extremely unhappy through her expression, and tone. I asked if she was having a good day, and to my shock, she said “Yes.” Seeking to make conversation, I asked what consisted of a bad day for her. She said, “Grouchy and unpleasant patients.” I wondered silently if her attitude might contribute to patients being unhappy. 

Like many older people, Steve is lonely and looking for someone to talk to. And no Steve, I doubt it's mainly her attitude that makes her patients "Grouchy and unpleasant." Notice she isn't as bothered by unhappy people.

Next Paragraph:

Don’t you enjoy being around happy, pleasant people? I certainly do.

Most people I've met like to be around moderately happy people. People who overjoyed all the time get annoying.

It is good for us to check own attitudes and pleasantness.How do we rate? Are we sour and demanding or contagiously joyful? Will others see the light of Christ in us and want to be around us or avoid us? “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice” (Philippians 4:4)

I hope Steve practices as he preaches. Sour and demanding seems to apply to Steve, but maybe he's mellowing as he grows older.

I get the sense that he and Teri may be enjoying be empty-nesters. YMMV.

• Upvote 5

Going back a little… umm, Steve, you do realise that not everyone in a workplace is married?? 
And Steve likes being cheerful and happy? Really? He’s always moaning and complaining. Didn’t he also once mention he had anger problems??

• Upvote 8

On 3/23/2022 at 1:28 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet things are extremely different around the Maxwell house and it’s likely hitting Steve pretty hard. 

No one to dust the fans or other inane projects that take hours and hours. 

• Upvote 3

Replying to above statements about what makes Steve sad, ie the happenings of families he doesn’t believe are proper Christian’s, and this being what makes him so sad…..do you think he even realises there’s a war in Ukraine right now? They ignore all media and news. They’ve always asked for constant prayers for themselves in the midst of world disaster, in America and overseas. I don’t think he has a clue.

• Upvote 8

31 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

No one to dust the fans or other inane projects that take hours and hours. 

I just dusted some of my ceiling fans yesterday and thought of the Maxwells. It’s impossible for me to dust fans without thinking of them. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

So the phlebotomist wasn't grinning from ear to ear and super exited to see Steve, so that means she was in a bad mood. Please, Steve. She was being professional. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

So the phlebotomist wasn't grinning from ear to ear and super exited to see Steve, so that means she was in a bad mood. Please, Steve. She was being professional. 

My thinking as well.  It's Stevehovah's way of saying women should smile more. 

Maybe she has cramps, was up all night with a baby, had insomnia, has to deal with a difficult co-worker or other reasons why she's not chirpy.  Did you get the sense that Steve is extremely limited in understanding why a woman might not be chirpy cheerful, which is gobsmackingly awful considering he lived in a household with a depressed wife and three daughters.  WTF, Steve.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I wish he had mentioned why he thought she was unhappy.

I agree with the above that she probably had a "serious" face, maybe had a million things on her mind, maybe isn't a natural smiley type person, etc.

And it isn't just that Steve's getting old that he tries to have conversations with strangers.  He's written about doing that many times throughout the years.  He does it so he can be judgemental, and write about how wrong everyone else is but him.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I know someone who, as a result of myasthenia gravis, is now physically incapable of smiling. I hope she never has to meet Stevehovah.

• Upvote 8

Well if this doesn't beat all.  The most miserable person on the planet is calling someone out for her negative attitude.  He never has a positive thing to say about anyone or anything except his own family members.  I don't know how Teri lives with him.  He's too negative and critical.  It would drive me crazy.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

Men telling woman they should smile is misogynistic as hell. It's an age old tactic. 

I wonder how he has all these "conversations" yet no one ever tells him to mind his own business. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic