IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

"Appetites" is Steve's way of referring to things he has banned his kids from doing so they won't know what they are missing (TV, pop music, movies, sports, video games, certain toys).

Fun, living life

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

This week's Seriously Dad? column is called "What Wattage are You?" and it's from December 8th 2021. It's very strange and vintage Steve.

Part of the prep work for painting the house involved taking all the exterior decorative lights down. They were the kind that senses motion, becoming active at dusk and inactive at dawn. After only twelve years, none of them functioned the way they were supposed to. I spent quite a few hours troubleshooting them. The electronics in them were “inferior” so I ended up rewiring them to be basic light fixtures. Now I manually turn them on at night and off in the morning. Simple. If only it was that simple with “believers.” 

Okay. I don't mind Steve talking about his home improvement projects; there's an audience for that. I'm confused by the end of the paragraph. Steve doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd want anyone to turn off their faith. 

Jesus said that we (believers) are the light of the world (Matthew 5:14). With so many professing Christians in our country, why is our country so dark? 

I thought Jesus was the light.  It's dark, because we live in the Northern Hemisphere and we are approaching winter and the days are short. Also here we have DST. 

Could it be that many either don’t have the light of Christ in them (lost and hell-bound), or they are consumed with the fun (read dark) things of this world and have no good works? 

Classic Steve! Worrying about fun! By fun, he seems to mean R or X rated fun. Also are good works only not fun? Does it not count as a good work if the person enjoyed it? 

Also not being Christian or having the light of Christ doesn't make someone hell-bound. This kind-of black-and-white thinking from Christianity is why our country isn't going better. If your churches teaches you that non-believers go to hell, find a new church. This kind of thinking can lead to dangerous ideologies like Anti-Semitism. 

Oh my Brothers, what consumes your heart, mind, and time? May there be no doubt about who owns us.

Maybe there is no one thing that consumes their hearts, minds, and time. If you want people to know so badly, get a tattoo. I dare Steve to get a "I ❤️ Jesus." tattoo. Bonus points if it's a face tattoo. Then everyone will know who owns you.

Burn brightly for Christ. “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16). 

Steve, you're doing that thing again, where you sound romantic about God/Jesus, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily assume good works means someone is a Christian. I know a lot of Unitarians who do good works. 

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10)

• Upvote 2

Does Stevehovah realize just how much liquor figgy pudding has in it?  There is a reason the cook can set it on fire before she brings it to the table.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 1

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Not Listening to the Words Can Have Serious Consequences and it's from December 15, 2021. 

Christopher invited Teri and me to go to a Handel’s Messiah singalong. We ended up sitting on the front row next to the musicians and director. I began speaking with the musician that was immediately in front of me (right at my knees actually) as he was waiting to begin. After a couple of other questions, I asked him about his spiritual background. Imagine my shock to learn he was not a Christian and “leaned toward Buddhism.” He was about to have a major part in playing one of the most beautiful, worshipful pieces I know of, and it was merely black notes on white paper to him. If only he would listen to the words and take them to heart, he might spare himself an eternity of regrets. 

Steve, you damn bigot! It's not any of your business what religion he is. There's nothing with being Buddhist. It reminds me of Bro Gary singing a hymn that makes fun of Buddhism, and I thought that was tasteless crap. I doubt the Messiah was merely black notes on white paper; it's directions for how to do his job. It's sounds that he transcibes. Don't hassle the man while his working! It's to pay attention to the words when he has to play the violin. Do you ask your doctor to listen to you read the bible while he takes your blood pressure?

Then I thought of the dads that receive this email and wondered how many might be lost and not have a saving relationship with the Lord Jesus. They lack the joy and confidence that comes with knowing Him. Maybe they go to church, “know the notes,” sing the songs, but don’t know the Savior. Religious, don’t hack it. Good person is not good enough. Even lots of good works, doesn’t work. 

How much of your audience do you think comes from Free Jinger and the snark sites? Other than the Snarkers, why would non-Christians read this dreck? I'm a Christian though. Also you sound Pentacostal by saying you need a relationship with the Lord; I thought you were Baptist. Finally, I'm not sure it's a good idea to insult your audience by saying they're not real Christians.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity” (Matthew 7:21-23). 

So this verse is about people not practicing as they preach? It could easily apply to Josh Duggar. I wonder how Steve and Teri reacted to the verdict. I got the sense Steve may have thought he was innocent, but maybe reading about the evidence convinced him.

If you aren’t sure, settle it now. Don’t wait. Speak to your pastor or someone you trust who will not give you a false assurance. If you don’t have someone local, email me, and we will talk. 

Steve waits with baited breath in hope that someone will e-mail him. Will anyone email him? Tune-in next week or the week after.

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2

Hahaha this week Christopher took them to sit in the front row for Handel's Messiah and Steve took the opportunity to preach to a Buddhist musician in the orchestra pit, just before the show started 😂😂🤣

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 4

Steve is so disgusting.

He starts these seemingly friendly conversations with people then goes home and writes about how wrong these people are.

He did it with the cashier at Walmart, and he did it with the young man who bagged groceries at his grocery store, among others.

I never answer any strangers personal questions.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I’ve spent a lot of time around Baptists, I did got to Liberty.  It was pretty common to hear “personal relationship with the lord”. It isn’t uncommon in the evangelical and fundamentalist baptist churches.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

4 minutes ago, treemom said:

I’ve spent a lot of time around Baptists, I did got to Liberty.  It was pretty common to hear “personal relationship with the lord”. It isn’t uncommon in the evangelical and fundamentalist baptist churches.

My mom's fundy-lite evangelical free church used that phrase all the time, as does another relatives non-denominational fundy lite church (Willow Creek, whatever cult that is.)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, kpmom said:

I never answer any strangers personal questions.

I never question anyone’s religious inclinations. I would liken that to quizzing them on their sexual practices. None of my damn business. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

On 12/15/2021 at 1:48 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Christopher invited Teri and me to go to a Handel’s Messiah singalong. We ended up sitting on the front row next to the musicians and director. I began speaking with the musician that was immediately in front of me (right at my knees actually) as he was waiting to begin. After a couple of other questions, I asked him about his spiritual background. Imagine my shock to learn he was not a Christian and “leaned toward Buddhism.” He was about to have a major part in playing one of the most beautiful, worshipful pieces I know of, and it was merely black notes on white paper to him. If only he would listen to the words and take them to heart, he might spare himself an eternity of regrets. 

Steve, you have Some Nerve insinuating that no one but a Christian, and the Right Sort of Christian (TM) at that, can appreciate the music of Handel. I suspect it's only the words that have meaning to you, while the rest of us are deeply moved by the music itself. Poor, sad, Pharisee.

On 12/15/2021 at 1:48 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Steve waits with baited breath in hope that someone will e-mail him. Will anyone email him? Tune-in next week or the week after.

I know that's just a typo or autocorrect but, still, it makes me giggle to think of Steve holding a minnow between his teeth.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2af5ab6f868b4a296ff7a9421e22cc36.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Steve, you have Some Nerve insinuating that no one but a Christian, and the Right Sort of Christian (TM) at that, can appreciate the music of Handel. I suspect it's only the words that have meaning to you, while the rest of us are deeply moved by the music itself. Poor, sad, Pharisee.

I don’t think Steve has any idea how much of an inner connection musicians can feel with the music they okay. You don’t  become a professional musician if you don’t love music, and whether a piece is religious or not, there is so much more emotion to it than just the black-and-white notes.

Edited by GreenBeans
Riffles
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

On 12/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, HoneyBunny said:

I never question anyone’s religious inclinations. I would liken that to quizzing them on their sexual practices. None of my damn business. 

Exactly. I never ask questions referring to religion, sex/sexuality, weight, or political affiliation. Those are all way too personal. But then again, I hate chatting with people I don’t know. If Steve started to talk to me at all, I would be uncomfortable. Ask me about religion and my social anxiety would go through the roof. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I don’t think Steve has any idea how much of an inner connection musicians can feel with the music they okay. You don’t  become a professional musician if you don’t love music, and whether a piece is religious or not, there is so much more emotion to it than just the black-and-white notes.

I also don't think Steve understands/cares how rude it is to strike up a conversation with a performer getting ready to perform.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

I’m sure he is completely unaware but Steve shows himself as massively insecure. Instead of listening to the performer about his beliefs he simply dismisses him entirely.  Steve must come across as smug and pretentious. I hope the performer simply rolled his eyes at the weird guy he got stuck talking to and never gave him another thought.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

The world would be a much sadder place if you had to belong to a specific religion or culture to appreciate their music. I’m a hardcore atheist but still love the melodies in the old Christmas carols. I know that Mary fucking knew - it’s in the Bible, God told her - but I still will listen to many versions of ‘Mary did you know’ because the music is so lovely. And has anyone ever listened to ‘Dayenu’ without joining in the chorus, even if you’ve no idea what the other words mean?

Steve would not like to know how many Jewish people wrote classic Christmas songs, I don’t think.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

39 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

The world would be a much sadder place if you had to belong to a specific religion or culture to appreciate their music. I’m a hardcore atheist but still love the melodies in the old Christmas carols. I know that Mary fucking knew - it’s in the Bible, God told her - but I still will listen to many versions of ‘Mary did you know’ because the music is so lovely. And has anyone ever listened to ‘Dayenu’ without joining in the chorus, even if you’ve no idea what the other words mean?

Steve would not like to know how many Jewish people wrote classic Christmas songs, I don’t think.

I wonder if Steve would allow me to look at Michelangelo’s Sculpture entitled “Pieta” since I’m not Christian.  It’s a beautiful sculpture and I would enjoy seeing it in person one day. But I’m not Christian so Steve would probably say no. 

• Upvote 8

I admit I’ve always been surprised that the Jackson 5 recorded a Christmas album, seeing as their mother was a devout JW.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if Steve would allow me to look at Michelangelo’s Sculpture entitled “Pieta”

I cried when I saw it in person. There is something so very primal about a mother cradling her murdered son. While I am a Christian, I think most of my visceral response was just for the anguish of a mother holding  her murdered son. 

I am a mother of grown sons and I cannot imagine the pain. I also understand the impetus to cradle a son, no matter his age or size. They are always our babies.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 13

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

I admit I’ve always been surprised that the Jackson 5 recorded a Christmas album, seeing as their mother was a devout JW.

I was wondering the same thing.  I just l heard Santa Clause is coming to town sung by them today. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 3

Joe Jackson made all the decisions for them when they were the Jackson 5. If Joe thought they would make money singing a Christmas song, he would make it happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Joe Jackson made all the decisions for them when they were the Jackson 5. If Joe thought they would make money singing a Christmas song, he would make it happen. 

Thanks. That is what I thought. 

• Upvote 6

Imagine my shock to learn he was not a Christian and “leaned toward Buddhism.” He was about to have a major part in playing one of the most beautiful, worshipful pieces I know of, and it was merely black notes on white paper to him. If only he would listen to the words and take them to heart, he might spare himself an eternity of regrets. 

This perfectly demonstrates Steve's spiritual constipation.  He has no experience of transcendent spirituality or how a musician could find the music transcendent at a deeper level than Steve could ever hope to experience. 

At least he didn't ask him if he knew where he was going when he died. But then...if the musician leaned Buddhist, he'd tell Steve he'd be reincarnated. 

• Upvote 11

• Coconut Flan locked this topic