IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

Instead of seeing the joy on his daughter's face, all he can see is that Sarah of the Full-Frontal Hugs is a sign that he failed due to his lack of courage. What a dumbass.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

22 hours ago, molecule said:

What a selfish, narcissistic, self-absorbed, self-satisfied, tyrannical, bloviating, wrong-thinking dumbass.

FTFY

• Upvote 13

Unpopular Opinion: I really can't tell if Steve thinks he failed. All of kids are still conservative Christians and probably at least fundie. He never says anything about himself. I don't believe he thinks he failed that badly. His Seriously, Dad? columns seem about the same to me and I've been reading them for years now.

It's possible he does think he has failed. If that's true, he's an idiot. I hope he lives long enough to see real rebellion (atheism, liberalism, LGBTQ+, etc.)

His latest email comes off smug to me. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Unpopular Opinion: I really can't tell if Steve thinks he failed. All of kids are still conservative Christians and probably at least fundie. He never says anything about himself. I don't believe he thinks he failed that badly. His Seriously, Dad? columns seem about the same to me and I've been reading them for years now.

It's possible he does think he has failed. If that's true, he's an idiot. I hope he lives long enough to see real rebellion (atheism, liberalism, LGBTQ+, etc.)

His latest email comes off smug to me. 

Everything he's written that I've read and everything he's said that I've heard come off as immensely smug. 

Steve, thus his family, has always had a way of making everything much harder than it needs to be. I am pretty sure he believes god only loves you if you survive a "hard life", such as homeschooling "in the trenches". The schedule everything to death & it takes time & effort to do so. Far more than needed to just freaking do it, whatever it is. If there is any joy or happiness, I think he believes god doesn't like you as much. 

Or, something. Whatever it truly is, there is definitely a connection between what he thinks his god wants and how hard it is to do/accomplish. NOTHING is ever easy, straight forward or simple in Maxhell because god won't allow it. 

I don't think he thinks he failed at anything. Whatever his true reactions are to the way his daughter's are living their lives, he is running them through his god-made filter and openly responding in a way his god says is worth rewarding. And since nothing easy or simple is worth rewarding, it gets complicated beyond recognition so his god can bless him. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

His new dad's corner is up.  I hope he reads here, or his family does.  Let me tell you something, asshole...  Sporting figures, actors, etc  make a great deal of money.  People support them by watching movies, attending games, buying their stuff, etc  Many celebrities, athletes, etc have given back to their communities with that money-feeding the poor, creating youth programs, and a lot of other things that Jesus preached about.  They are very charitable.  Without Danny Thomas and his daughter Marlo, there would be no St Jude's Children's hospital.  Without Oprah Winfrey, there would be less schools in Africa.  The list is endless.  Our money enables them to be so charitable.  Matthew McConaughey is paying for funerals for the Uvalde shooting victims.  How many funerals did you pay for?  Unless you are going to do what they do, then wipe that speck out of your eye and mind your own damn business.  If I were you, I'd be worried about meeting my Maker and having to answer to "Why did you use MY name to make money to support your lifestyle?  You should have gotten a regular job and chilled with the Kansas City Chiefs."  

• Upvote 15
  • WTF 1
  • Love 5

Breakdown of the new Seriously, Dad?  called Deep Sorrow and it's from July 27, 2022.

It’s Wednesday morning and you grab your phone to see if anything important has come in overnight. There is an email from the church with important news, “Next Wednesday the Lord is returning for His people.” You can hardly believe it. How exciting, but how difficult to wait a whole week. 

This premise is laughably ridiculous. First of all how does the church know? Who told them? Did they get the email from God? I would be skeptical and mocking at best, and downright scared at worst. This could be signs of a Jonestown-type thing, which would not be funny. I doubt I would believe it.

Next paragraph:

After your wave of joy, a wave of grief hits you. What about all the lost people you know? After you are gone is there any hope of them coming to Christ? The next wave is of greater sadness. You think of all the time that you squandered doing selfish, unimportant, fun things that seemed important yesterday. Now you wonder: What if my fun will cost these people eternity in hell? 

I don't believe God sends people to hell for fun. I don't believe I know who God sends to hell. I think God will make judgments. I expect several of my non-believer friends and family will be there. I also think that anyone who thinks God will punish all of the people they don't like will be disappointed.

Next paragraph:

Suddenly you realized football, baseball, basketball, movies (good wholesome ones of course) TV, video games/gaming, news, social media and so much more all represent countless wasted hours. Then the thought comes: Hey, it’s Satan’s fault, not mine. He’s the one who tricked me into wasting my time on what I thought was harmless fun things. Oh, you realize, that excuse didn’t work for Adam and Eve, and it won’t work for me when I stand before the Lord at judgement. 

I don't think it's a waste of time. Everyone including Jesus, rested. Having fun and relaxation is form of rest! There's nothing wrong with that.

Since the Lord isn’t going to tell us when He’s coming back, maybe we ought to live as if it is tomorrow. “Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh” (Matthew 24:44). 

Ahhhh, so many fundies disappointed the second coming isn't here yet. It's not likely to be. Not all of us think we need to be constantly working and that f*n is a sin. 

This column is more of Steve's usual s*** and not particularly aimed at dads. I think if he's disappointed with his kids, it must be the boys. The girls don't read here as this is strictly for men. I wonder if Kory and Samuel get the emails yet.

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

His new dad's corner is up.  I hope he reads here, or his family does.  Let me tell you something, asshole...  Sporting figures, actors, etc  make a great deal of money.  People support them by watching movies, attending games, buying their stuff, etc  Many celebrities, athletes, etc have given back to their communities with that money-feeding the poor, creating youth programs, and a lot of other things that Jesus preached about.  They are very charitable.  Without Danny Thomas and his daughter Marlo, there would be no St Jude's Children's hospital.  Without Oprah Winfrey, there would be less schools in Africa.  The list is endless.  Our money enables them to be so charitable.  Matthew McConaughey is paying for funerals for the Uvalde shooting victims.  How many funerals did you pay for?  Unless you are going to do what they do, then wipe that speck out of your eye and mind your own damn business.  If I were you, I'd be worried about meeting my Maker and having to answer to "Why did you use MY name to make money to support your lifestyle?  You should have gotten a regular job and chilled with the Kansas City Chiefs."  

He says nothing about celebrities in general, but I think it's very sad actually that the world isn't more equitable. We should tax the rich more. Yes they do charity, but their charity isn't able to fix all the problems of poverty. In general it would be better to have system where people were able to support themselves or get help.

St Jude's Children Hospital is cool. Oprah Winfrey's schools have several different abuse scandals, so that's not a great example. As the Uvalde school children, the government should pay for the funerals since it failed to protect those children. It is absolutely horrible that we live in a country where this kind of evil violence (mass shootings) happens regularly. It is evil that it happened in the first place. We need to fix our culture so that this kind of violence stops happening. I think the Lord should ask Steve what he is doing to protect people from gun violence. 

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

I would hope that if Kory and Sam read this post, they would realise that their prospective father in law is a nutter.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 7

I can do more "talking" about my faith in the way I treat people than I ever could with words. I can even do it while having f*n! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 9

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

St Jude's Children Hospital is cool. Oprah Winfrey's schools have several different abuse scandals, so that's not a great example. As the Uvalde school children, the government should pay for the funerals since it failed to protect those children. It is absolutely horrible that we live in a country where this kind of evil violence (mass shootings) happens regularly. It is evil that it happened in the first place. We need to fix our culture so that this kind of violence stops happening. I think the Lord should ask Steve what he is doing to protect people from gun violence. 

Those were just a few examples.  There are many charitable celebrities and athletes.  We support them by watching their movies/games.  Without the public, they would not have the money that they do.  Many in turn do a lot of good with their money.  Steve thinks it's evil.  It's not.  A lot of good comes out of it.

2 hours ago, Sops2 said:

I would hope that if Kory and Sam read this post, they would realise that their prospective father in law is a nutter.

He was nuts before but now he has lost his damn mind.  I said it before, but I really think some of those dads corners are because he is preaching to his own kids.  His kids have social media, Anna is off doing every fun sport imaginable...  He lost control and is coming unglued.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

On 7/15/2022 at 8:48 AM, fundiefan said:

The Maxwells were absolutely horrible parents. 

And yet if, in another life, I were forced to choose between having David and Jill or Teri and Steve as parents, I'd choose the Maxwells in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Breakdown of the new Seriously, Dad?  called Deep Sorrow and it's from July 27, 2022.

This premise is laughably ridiculous. First of all how does the church know? Who told them? Did they get the email from God? I would be skeptical and mocking at best, and downright scared at worst. This could be signs of a Jonestown-type thing, which would not be funny. I doubt I would believe it.

Next paragraph:

I don't believe God sends people to hell for fun. I don't believe I know who God sends to hell. I think God will make judgments. I expect several of my non-believer friends and family will be there. I also think that anyone who thinks God will punish all of the people they don't like will be disappointed.

Next paragraph:

I don't think it's a waste of time. Everyone including Jesus, rested. Having fun and relaxation is form of rest! There's nothing wrong with that.

Ahhhh, so many fundies disappointed the second coming isn't here yet. It's not likely to be. Not all of us think we need to be constantly working and that f*n is a sin. 

This column is more of Steve's usual s*** and not particularly aimed at dads. I think if he's disappointed with his kids, it must be the boys. The girls don't read here as this is strictly for men. I wonder if Kory and Samuel get the emails yet.

He says nothing about celebrities in general, but I think it's very sad actually that the world isn't more equitable. We should tax the rich more. Yes they do charity, but their charity isn't able to fix all the problems of poverty. In general it would be better to have system where people were able to support themselves or get help.

Steverino does jack shit about anything helpful to society in general and his family in particular.   

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

St Jude's Children Hospital is cool. 

Unfortunately St.Jude's hitched it's star to Eric Trump 

• Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 10
  • Thank You 1

Well Steve might be stroking out right now. The message at Kory’s church today connected the Gospel to Stranger Things. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, Zee said:

Well Steve might be stroking out right now. The message at Kory’s church today connected the Gospel to Stranger Things. 

I listened to the message and it sure doesn't square with Steve's version of Christianity.  Still a lot of "Jesus is the only way" but there's a far healthier view of the outside world and the church's relationship to it.

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, petrushka said:

I listened to the message and it sure doesn't square with Steve's version of Christianity.  Still a lot of "Jesus is the only way" but there's a far healthier view of the outside world and the church's relationship to it.

I didn’t listen to the whole thing but that was my impression of what I listened to. Same with the children’s message that Kory gave. Not to my taste but definitely healthier and a lot more mainstream 

• Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Zee said:

I didn’t listen to the whole thing but that was my impression of what I listened to. Same with the children’s message that Kory gave. Not to my taste but definitely healthier and a lot more mainstream 

Wait. He didn't ask them if they knew where they were going when they die? Steve would consider that "pastoral malpractice"

• Upvote 7

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Obvious and it's from August 3, 2022.

The first Passover required every family to take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood of the slain lamb, and then apply it to the lintel and side posts of the door to their home (Exodus 12:21-22). The blood on the doorframe would certainly have been obvious to anyone passing by. 

Passover is in the spring near Easter. Why bring this up in August?

Next Paragraph:

Jesus Christ is our Passover Lamb. He was the perfect Lamb of God sacrificed for us, and His blood has been applied to the souls of every believer. “For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us…” (1 Corinthians 5:7). 

Next Paragraph:

Scripture gives us the picture that anyone who is a true follower of Jesus Christ (Matthew 16:24) will be as obvious to others as that door frame with the blood splashed on it was. Jesus gave us the mental image of a follower carrying his cross in this life. “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me” (Matthew 16:24). May we live for the One Who died for us. 

So you want to wear a sandwich board that says Christian? Proud Christian? The only true follower of Christ in this Godforsaken country?

Go read Matthew Chapter 6 again, Steve. For example Matthew Chapter 6 Verses 5-6

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the [b]hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you [c]openly.

Steve, this is a bad essay. It's not topical or timely. It has no new information, no ideas on how to accomplish the goals its sets for itself (demonstrate you're a Christian), no advice particularly for men who are fathers, etc. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/27/2022 at 10:39 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I don't think the paragraph says that God sends people to hell for having fun. Rather, he sends the unbelievers to hell, so believers should feel terrible for wasting their time with hobbies instead of converting people every second of the day. This sort of makes sense if you see yourself as a spiritual emergency responder during a catastrophe - you are constantly trying to save people from a burning building ; if you take any time off, they will die and it will be your fault. You might be safe, but you will have to live with the guilt. Of course, actual emergency responders have to take time off and rest for appropriate periods of time because rest is a basic human need. That's something that Steve doesn't really seem to understand. His argument is also pretty hypocritical. If he actually believed it, he would adjust his methods of converting people to make them more palatable to the general public. As it is, his chances of convincing heathens with his godbothering seem very slim to me. He should at least look at the methods used by more professional cults to successfully prey on the vulnerable.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

From anyone but me perhaps, but not Teri—not the Teri who often questions whether she loves her kids, who can’t stand to be around her boys’ fussing, who has such emotional downs and doesn’t think she is mother material.

This. Is. Awful.  And to think she was going through this without any kind of professional help and support, no medication.  

And then had more kids, because Steve.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This. Is. Awful.  And to think she was going through this without any kind of professional help and support, no medication.  

And then had more kids, because Steve.  

So sad. Steve is an ass.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

On 7/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Quoting myself, after reading @ignorantobserver's  insightful response to what I said. I meant to say "I don't believe God sends people to hell for having fun." The way it reads now makes it sound like "I don't God sends people to hell, because He has fun doing it." Fortunately I don't think anyone misunderstood me, and I also don't think God sends people to hell for kicks. 

• Upvote 4

Holy S**t! Steve's newest column is him having a conniption. Maybe part of it is missing, because it's only one short paragraph. WTF?

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Taken Out Of Context and it's from August 10, 2022.  It is something.

Sadly, it seems like some women in church have taken Isaiah 20:3 out of context. “And the LORD said, Like as my servant Isaiah hath walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and wonder upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia” (Isaiah 20:3). It is not a clothing recommendation.

WTF? Steve is worried about women walking around naked and barefoot. Chelsy was clothed but barefoot at her wedding; did that bother you, Steve? Also these are women in church????!!!! What church are you going to where the women are naked? I was raised Catholic, and have gone to other churches, and I've never seen a naked woman in church. What is going on in your church? 

So many religious people take scripture out of context, especially fundies. You take scripture out of context to make up false rules and regulations. And maybe Isaiah 20:3 is a recommendation. Maybe more Christians should try it?

Steve, this has nothing to do with fatherhood. So men may agree with you, but I have to think others are scratching their heads wondering "Where is he going to church with naked women?" 

Also Steve remains very similar to Bro Gary. Nekidness?

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

What church are you going to where the women are naked?

Sounds fun. Maybe one of those neopagan religions ? Honestly, this just sounds like on of those standard talking points of the religious right that are completely disconnected from reality. We have had very "modest" fashion for years - a few years of 80s-nostalgia with jeans and large flannel shirts followed by a 70s-revival with very long flower dresses this season. Nothing even close to "barefoot and naked".

• Upvote 9

Gasp! Steve saw some skin in church on a hot Sunday! I'm somehow not shocked that he can't tell the difference between someone wearing a sundress with flip-flops, and a naked barefoot woman.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 12

18 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

What church are you going to where the women are naked?

Let me hazard a guess on this one: there's verbage in the Old Testament about the priests needing to wear what essentially amounts to bloomers (which went from their waist to their knees) under their robes when they went up the steps in the Tabernacle, so that their "nakedness" would not be exposed. From this a lot of fundies have drawn the conclusion that anything from the knees on up counts as "nakedness" and of course, the ones that want to really be "above reproach" end up eschewing shorts altogether even for men (and they end up doing stupid things like the Duggar guys running a 5K in jeans) but anyway, I'm guessing he saw some ordinary summer clothing and decided to grab onto that OT definition so he could bellyache about the indecency. Also, in their really hardcore frumper days, the Maxladies did not wear sandals or flip-flops at all - there are literally fundie men who complain about "toe cleavage" when a woman wears sandals or even some flats. Remember the Preparing Daughters site where Sarah was urging everyone to reconsider wearing any sleeveless clothing whatsoever because MODESTY. Now picture Steve in a traditional church surrounded by families dressed appropriately for the weather, and maybe the ladies are wearing some sleeveless, just-above-the-knee dresses with some blingy flip-flops or gladiator sandals and Steve's head is exploding.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic