IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

May 18 Seriously email is about Steve's favorite topic, death.

An Obit 

Teri’s mom brought over a newspaper clipping of a man’s obituary. He was a family acquaintance for over 30 years. I’m confident he died without a relationship with the Lord Jesus. Last year he was very heavy on my heart. I stopped by his house quite a few times trying to spend some time with him, but he avoided me. I was concerned for his health and his soul. Now it is too late.

Each of us has a sphere of influence that God has given us. May we be faithful. Lovingly, relentlessly pursue each one while there is time. “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (2 Corinthians 5:10).

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 13

" Last year he was very heavy on my heart. I stopped by his house quite a few times trying to spend some time with him, but he avoided me. I was concerned for his health and his soul. Now it is too late."

How to make any illness just that much worse? Have Steve Maxwell nagging you about religion. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 18

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

May 18 Seriously email is about Steve's favorite topic, death.

An Obit 

Teri’s mom brought over a newspaper clipping of a man’s obituary. He was a family acquaintance for over 30 years. I’m confident he died without a relationship with the Lord Jesus. Last year he was very heavy on my heart. I stopped by his house quite a few times trying to spend some time with him, but he avoided me. I was concerned for his health and his soul. Now it is too late.

Each of us has a sphere of influence that God has given us. May we be faithful. Lovingly, relentlessly pursue each one while there is time. “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (2 Corinthians 5:10).

What an a**hole! Like who is Steve to think he knows what this dude’s relationship with Green Bean Lord Almighty was?

Sometimes I don’t even think fundies realize how smug they sound. But then again, it’s Steve, so he probably does. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9

T

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

May 18, 2022 Seriously email is about Steve's favorite topic, death.

An Obit 

The sad thing is  Steve is human enough or self-conscious enough to write that he was worried about the "other guy's health". I was reading a Christian novel and the author skipped right over the person's health and life and went right to the faith. 

I'm glad the acquaintance was able to avoid Steve. He must have lived close to Teri and Steve, else how would they know him. He probably lived in their one mile radius that the boys used to live.

• Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

T

The sad thing is  Steve is human enough or self-conscious enough to write that he was worried about the "other guy's health". I was reading a Christian novel and the author skipped right over the person's health and life and went right to the faith. 

I'm glad the acquaintance was able to avoid Steve. He must have lived close to Teri and Steve, else how would they know him. He probably lived in their one mile radius that the boys used to live.

He was probably one of the neighbors who kept his blinds closed so poor put upon Steve can't peer into his windows. Steve was, in fact, so disappointed in his inability to see inside other people's houses that he made a whole "article" about it full of bible verses that he apparently thought backed him up. 

If Steve, or anyone like him, were to constantly show up at my door trying to "save" me - especially now, when I am sick - he'd get more than an earful. Your supposed "need" to save someone does not trump anyone else's right to live in peace and free from the ignorant arrogance of a religious fanatic. I hate the arrogance so damn much. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 13

15 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Last year he was very heavy on my heart. I stopped by his house quite a few times trying to spend some time with him, but he avoided me.

Well, last year was that little pandemic and people were recommended to avoid unnecessary social contacts.  If I had had health issues during a pandemic, I would have deemed proselytizing Steve as an unnecessary social contact as well. Especially if he opens his conversations conversions with a cheerful "Where will you go when you die?".

• Upvote 16

Poor guy spent his last year (if not more) on Earth hiding and evading SM. What is wrong with people?  How would Steve feel if a Catholic tried to convert him; continually pointing out how the RCC is the one, true Church? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

On 5/16/2022 at 4:04 AM, danvillebelle said:

Watching Steve's carefully cultivated, bizarre family culture fly apart at the seams, leaving him to mutter all his old tropes to no one in particular - my schadenfreude knows no bounds.  

There's always the clouds.

Spoiler

season 13 GIF

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Poor guy spent his last year (if not more) on Earth hiding and evading SM. What is wrong with people?  How would Steve feel if a Catholic tried to convert him; continually pointing out how the RCC is the one, true Church? 

Or a Mormon. Does he invite the missionaries in and listen politely to their spiel? I think not.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

I have to wonder if the dead guy wasn't just not Christian, but if in fact he was an active believer in a non-Christian religion.  Because how else would Steve know that this poor man didn't believe in Jesus as his savior?  Not every Christian screams it from the rooftops.

Which would make Steve's stalking behavior even worse, I think . . . . 

• Upvote 12

Steve has an issue with people who aren’t his type of Christian. I agree this guy could have been Catholic or even Mormon. But Steve felt it was his job to change this guy’s mind. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I was my mom's caretaker during her last days in hospice.  A neighbor lady "kindly" offered to sit with my mom for an hour so I could go for a swim or a walk.  

After the second day, my mom asked me not to let this woman in the house anymore -- apparently she was DETERMINED to get a death bed conversion and my mom, who previously had been a sincere Christian but was no longer a believer, wasn't having it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 9
  • WTF 10
  • Love 10

13 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

Well, last year was that little pandemic and people were recommended to avoid unnecessary social contacts.  If I had had health issues during a pandemic, I would have deemed proselytizing Steve as an unnecessary social contact as well. Especially if he opens his conversations conversions with a cheerful "Where will you go when you die?".

Pandemic or not, most people don't want to deal with someone desperate to convert them. I would deem Steve an "unnecessary social contact"  at any time. 

(Pandemic is still going on as someone I know had COVID recently.)

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

The way Steve has talked about getting saved in the past, getting saved on your deathbed is pretty much the same as getting saved at five years old. So really, you could live your life doing whatever the hell you wanted, as long as you accepted Jesus as your saviour just as you were about to die. Which is a rather odd way of going about things. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

And like with many zealots, their actions are not primarily about saving someone else, it’s far more about gaining points for themselves and securing easy access to everlasting life. My MIL was a religious zealot; mass every day, nothing before Jesus, 7 priests on the altar at her funeral mass…it was all about her and nothing more.

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

The way Steve has talked about getting saved in the past, getting saved on your deathbed is pretty much the same as getting saved at five years old. So really, you could live your life doing whatever the hell you wanted, as long as you accepted Jesus as your saviour just as you were about to die. Which is a rather odd way of going about things. 

It's weird for Steve to admit that. He thinks everyone should live like him. There's at least one parable told by Jesus that goes along with this. It's called The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. That's a link so people can read it for themselves. 

• Upvote 3

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "Consider the End" and it's from May 25, 2022.

Consider your children’s first taste of real excitement. Maybe it was a first wild ride on a swing or later a roller coaster. First,”weeeeeee” explodes from his lips. Then comes, “I want to do that again!!!”

Were your kids allowed to ride roller coasters? I would think that is too much fun. I also wonder what wild rides refers to.

Next Paragraph:

Excitement comes in other packages as well. Video games are designed to be highly addicting and some movies can provide near-real thrills. 

Yes this can be true.

Next paragraph:

Now consider his first exposure to the Word of God when he was old enough to understand it. Did he respond similarly to the roller coaster? Of course not. 

Yes, this also can be true. 

Next paragraph:

Face it! The world offers excitement and pleasure beyond imagination. Compare that to “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it” (Matthew 16:24-25). In sales, we would call that a very hard sell. If it wasn’t for the Spirit’s involvement, who could be saved and follow Christ? 

Were you in sales, Steve? Part of it comes with maturity. It also might help to read the bible and find interactive ways to share your beliefs.

Maybe you could find a Christian video game like on The Simpsons (link).

New Paragraph:

Therefore, considering the opposition, the more thrills you introduce them to and give them an appetite for, which grows into a passion, might you be aiding the enemy? Is his short-term pleasure worth the long-term consequences? 

Actually in my experience, people are more likely to obsessed with something if they didn't have it around when they were growing up. Letting your kids play some video games some of the time can teach them to balance their activities. 

New Paragraph:

I’ve been amazed at the number of young men who have no interest in meaningful work due to their passion for dopamine-providing endeavors. We all know dads who continue to fuel their physical passions of one sort or another while neglecting their Lord, His Word, and their families. Very, very sad. 

Two Big Issues Here:

One) Not everyone believes in God and that's okay. He's not "their" Lord. We believe in freedom of religion, stop being anti-American.

Two) The job-market is shifting. A lot of the old jobs aren't dying and new jobs are taking their place. I know two brothers, one was working as a waiter and the other a video game tester. The video game tester made more money, Steve.

There was this article from The Guardian about parents who want to help their kids find jobs, but are baffled at certain job titles. This one kid wanted to be an UX designer, which is someone who designs websites to be functional. This is a real job, which pays well and has a bright outlook.

You should know this, Steve. Your sons aren't in ministry. Joe, Christopher, and Jesse are experts in Magento software. This seems to be very lucrative, and wasn't an option when you were young. They're not ministers, missionaries, etc. They use the money to take care of their families. Then they teach their own children about Jesus. 

My point is who is to say what work is meaningful. A lot of Christian men prefer to make money to provide for the family and find meaning outside of work. The meaning of their work is to fund the family. Considering you and Teri expect people to have large families, finding gainful employment is important.

• Upvote 7

As much as I am happy for all the Maxwell kids to be out of the house and living their lives, somehow I am not surprised is that all we have left is Steve's rantings.   Sure miss all the positively snarkworthy stuff that came out of Maxhell but at the same time happy we no longer have to worry about if Sarah was going to live her life out dusting ceiling fans.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

On 5/18/2022 at 5:36 PM, SPHASH said:

I’m confident he died without a relationship with the Lord Jesus.

How do you know this for certain Stevehovah?  Why are you so confident ? Did the man tell you himself? Did God tell you?  Did you just naturally assume it to be true because this man didn't live his life the way you wanted?  Do you know for a fact the man is burning in Hell?

Shame, shame, shame on you Stevehovah for your unsupported judgement. overweening pride and arrogance, and your god-bothering stalking.

Pride is a sin you know. Think on that Stevie before it's too late. 

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8

I kind of hope the guy was Steve’s next door neighbor and put a sign in the window facing Steve’s house saying, “I’m still an atheist Steve.” Until the day he died. Would Steve weep over my being an agnostic/Atheist? Why? He doesn’t even know me. I get caring if you know the person. But I doubt this guy even knew Steve all that well. Leave him the fuck alone. I don’t tell my religious grandmother that I don’t believe in god. Because it would hurt her. But I doubt she cares if her neighbor is an atheist. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called What A Strategy and it's from June 1, 2022.

Have you ever wondered how the enemy could have been so successful in hindering the church from reaching our country for Christ? 

He's talking about America. Lots of Christians here, Steve.

We have had over 200 years to evangelize this country and sadly we now have a pagan nation. 

Our national motto is literally "One Nation Under God". (I liked our older motto (E Pluribus Unum) better.)Most people are either Jewish, Christian or Muslim and they worship the same God, Steve.  

If Satan would have used persecution to hinder the evangelization of the United States, he knew it would have strengthened believer’s resolve. 

Point to Steve for admitting that Christian's really aren't "persecuted" in the US. 

New Paragraph:

Instead, he used the “good life” and all the fun and exciting things of the world, that weren’t overtly sinful, to pull the hearts of God’s people away from our Lord and His command. “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you…” (Matthew 28:19-20a).

That's not why people are forsaking religious. Some people just don't believe. And many, many people are having negative experiences with organized religion.  I posted this before, but I really like this youtube video about why people are leaving churches. 

New paragraph:

My brothers that is why we are to guard our hearts and set them on things above. Just because Christians approve of all sorts of things it doesn’t mean our Lord does. “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment” (Mark 12:30).  

Steve talks for God. If "you love the Lord thy God, with all thy mind", that means you can decide for yourself what to approve of, and not let Steve judge you. 

New paragraph:

I remember a Christian teenage boy who told me that he couldn’t imagine life without movies

I hope that wasn't Nathan. 

For many, just fill in the blank instead of movies – TV, video games, sports, skate boards, hunting, fishing, and … 

I'm surprised Steve went after hunting and fishing, because that would be my guess at the most popular with audience except for...

For me it was flying small private planes, but I praise God He enabled me to put that away over 40 years ago.

Steve, so many Christians love planes. Talk to the Duggars, but I don't think they'll change their minds.

Brothers, what do you live for? Examine your time usage and thoughts. 

Most people don't live for their hobbies and if they do, it's their lives.

This also has nothing to do with fatherhood and could be written to include women.

• Upvote 2

Basically, he is venting against "fun" again. It must be killing him that his daughter's are having fun on a daily basis at college. And Joseph went on a vacation that was not to Colorado to feed squirrels. And who knows what else his adult offspring are doing that he disapproves of. All in the name of NO FUN FOR ANYONE EVER!

• Upvote 11

Steve is against fun of any kind. He doesn’t believe that someone can enjoy hobbies & still be a Christian. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Steve is against fun of any kind. He doesn’t believe that someone can enjoy hobbies & still be a Christian. 

He might be okay with pitching horseshoes. That was the only form of entertainment deemed godly enough by my Calvinist grandparents.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

He included fishing in his rant?  Didn't his savior hang out with fishermen?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic