IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

My husband checks the obituaries every morning, and yesterday we learned the gentleman who did a lot of the electrical upgrades on our house over the years died of Covid.  At age 62, which is younger than the two of us, it was a very sobering reminder that the virus is still circulating.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 11

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

My husband checks the obituaries every morning, and yesterday we learned the gentleman who did a lot of the electrical upgrades on our house over the years died of Covid.  At age 62, which is younger than the two of us, it was a very sobering reminder that the virus is still circulating.  

I don't know how old our handyman is, but guess that he is our age or older. He is apparently recovering from a nasty case of Covid-19 right now. We learned this via a friend: a small group of us all use the same guy because he is good at carpentry tasks and small household repairs and is also very good at making referrals when there is something beyond his capabilities. 

I don't know if I wrote about it here, but the last time I saw my previous dentist he started trying to convince me that the pandemic was overblown. I left planning to get a new dentist. Three days later one of my crowns fell apart. I got a referral to a new dentist from a friend and tomorrow I get my permanent crown put on. I actually briefly thought about going back to previous guy but started to have an anxiety attack at the very idea. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

I'm getting my second dose tomorrow and have already arranged to wfh Wednesday since I got a migraine with the first dose and was stuck at work unable to drive home.  I know people who had no side effects the second dose so I'm going in hoping for the best, but preparing for the worse by not scheduling anything crucial for this week.  

We're planning on our first small family gathering for July.  My daughter is coming in with her BF and so I invited my siblings for a cook out.  Everyone will be long vaccinated except one sister who cannot due to medical reasons, and the friend she is bringing (no idea why friend isn't vaccinated.)  My main concern is my sister, but she spends so much time with this friend that risk has been there the whole time.  

Fun fact, the friend is a very zealous fundy-lite who has to be reminded by my sister to not to try to save us whenever she sees us.  So it always results in conversations between them where she asks my sister why she isn't witnessing to us and how sad we're all hell bound...so I expect 3-4 weeks after the get together I'll get another long handwritten note from my sister explaining how Jesus wants to save me from hell and if I just read the 87 pages she's written of what's awaiting me in hell I'll see that and convert so I can be with her in heaven.  You know, when the time comes...not like that day or anything :) 

They have offered to wear masks and I might just make the friend do it so I don't have to see her scowl when we do something sacrilegious like pour a glass of wine.  Tbf even when the rest of us were religious we were Catholic so being okay with booze isn't new for us.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They have offered to wear masks and I might just make the friend do it so I don't have to see her scowl when we do something sacrilegious like pour a glass of wine.

I've never understood the whole "wine is sacrilegious!" thing. The Bible goes on about it all the time, usually pretty positively. The Koran bans it, but if you're looking for a loophole it doesn't mention beer or spirits, so...

• Upvote 7

I have to share - my sister has a female co-worker who is an anti-masker, anti-vaxxer, Q-believer, Covid-is-a-HOAX! total nut job. Also apparently into the fundie style husband-as-supreme-leader, despite the fact that she works a full time job. 

Guess who just got Covid...

I don't wish her ill, but I hope it's just bad enough to open her eyes. She's been asking for it, and now she's got it.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I actually had a nightmare last night that we couldn’t get my older daughter to her second shot.
I’m going to be so glad when everyone is vaccinated. My youngest is 11, so we’ll be in masks for a while longer.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

My job is slowly reopening, as some of my coworkers started back this week, and I should be getting a call sometime this week for me to find out when I'm going back.

• Upvote 8

I finally have an appointment for my first shot.  It took a while for our age group to open up, and then the appointments were all booked, but I’m in for Monday!!!! I’m a little nervous about the side effects (it will probably be Pfizer that I’m getting), but also, it’s going to be so nice to not have to worry about getting a severe case of Covid.  My brother is getting married this summer and I want to be vaccinated before we go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 13

The case rate among unvaccinated people is the same as it was among the population at the height of the pandemic.

Spoiler

Covid-19 cases, deaths and hospitalizations have been declining in the United States. On May 19, the U.S. case rate, or seven-day average of new confirmed cases per 100,000 residents, was lower than at any point in the past 11 months.

But in some parts of the country, that rosy picture hides the strength of the pandemic among unvaccinated people. For example, Washington state’s overall case rate is close to the U.S. average when cases are measured across the state’s entire population.

Nearly half the U.S. adult population is vaccinated, however — and they are mostly protected from infection. In Washington, if we remove vaccinated people from the population used to determine the case rate, the numbers paint a more realistic picture of Washington’s cases among unvaccinated people.

These adjusted numbers paint a far less optimistic picture: Washington’s case rate among unvaccinated people is as high as it was in late January, near the peak of Covid infections.

The country’s declining covid-19 case rates present an unrealistically optimistic perspective for half of the nation — the half that is still not vaccinated.

As more people receive vaccines, covid-19 cases are occurring mostly in the increasingly narrow slice of the unprotected population. So The Washington Post adjusted its case, death and hospitalization rates to account for that — and found that in some places, the virus continues to rage among those who haven’t received a shot.

The rosy national figures showing declining case numbers led the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to loosen mask recommendations last week and President Biden to advise people to take off their masks and smile.

But adjustments for vaccinations show the rate among susceptible, unvaccinated people is 69 percent higher than the standard figures being publicized. With that adjustment, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago and is barely inching down. The adjusted hospitalization rate is as high as it was three months ago. The case rate is still declining after the adjustment.

Yeah the CDC advice was premature.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

@treehugger Don‘t worry about the side effects. I was nervous too but after the first dose of Moderna I only had a sore arm for a few days. I got my second shot yesterday and I‘m definitely glad I don‘t have to work today. I‘m feeling very tired and meh (like I had a normal cold) and the muscles in my upper body hurt. But it‘s nothing severe just uncomfortable 

I’m so so happy that now with the second shot I‘m soon fully vaccinated!

I plan on double masking now instead of wearing a FFP2/KN95 mask all the time. Now im off to search for a good cloth mask. Any recommendations?

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

I got my second shot yesterday, too - Pfizer.  So far just a sore arm and mildly achy and tired all over like the flu is coming on.  Like @Smash! so happy to be finally fully vaccinated.  

Working from home today as planned but I just really want to go back to sleep.  Hoping coffee helps.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I got my second shot yesterday, too - Pfizer.  So far just a sore arm and mildly achy and tired all over like the flu is coming on.  Like @Smash! so happy to be finally fully vaccinated.  

Working from home today as planned but I just really want to go back to sleep.  Hoping coffee helps.

I know you're officially working but extra sleep would probably be appreciated by your body post-vaccination.  See if you can squeeze in a nap at lunchtime.  :faint:  And congrats on being fully vaxxed!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Smash! said:

I plan on double masking now instead of wearing a FFP2/KN95 mask all the time. Now im off to search for a good cloth mask. Any recommendations?

I really love the Bespoke ones from Kohls. And they're on sale! They are the fitted shaped kind and have a very sturdy comfortable nose wire. I gotta order some more (They have them in store, but locally none of the cutest patterns are available.). I'm not being as vigilant as I used to be but I do try to wear a mask in public still. If you prefer the pleated kind, Gap has cute ones with a (flimsy) nose wire. Old Navy has cute ones without a nose wire, and theirs are cheap.

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

The case rate among unvaccinated people is the same as it was among the population at the height of the pandemic.

Hide contents

Covid-19 cases, deaths and hospitalizations have been declining in the United States. On May 19, the U.S. case rate, or seven-day average of new confirmed cases per 100,000 residents, was lower than at any point in the past 11 months.

But in some parts of the country, that rosy picture hides the strength of the pandemic among unvaccinated people. For example, Washington state’s overall case rate is close to the U.S. average when cases are measured across the state’s entire population.

Nearly half the U.S. adult population is vaccinated, however — and they are mostly protected from infection. In Washington, if we remove vaccinated people from the population used to determine the case rate, the numbers paint a more realistic picture of Washington’s cases among unvaccinated people.

These adjusted numbers paint a far less optimistic picture: Washington’s case rate among unvaccinated people is as high as it was in late January, near the peak of Covid infections.

The country’s declining covid-19 case rates present an unrealistically optimistic perspective for half of the nation — the half that is still not vaccinated.

As more people receive vaccines, covid-19 cases are occurring mostly in the increasingly narrow slice of the unprotected population. So The Washington Post adjusted its case, death and hospitalization rates to account for that — and found that in some places, the virus continues to rage among those who haven’t received a shot.

The rosy national figures showing declining case numbers led the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to loosen mask recommendations last week and President Biden to advise people to take off their masks and smile.

But adjustments for vaccinations show the rate among susceptible, unvaccinated people is 69 percent higher than the standard figures being publicized. With that adjustment, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago and is barely inching down. The adjusted hospitalization rate is as high as it was three months ago. The case rate is still declining after the adjustment.

Yeah the CDC advice was premature.

That really sucks for people who aren't able to be vaccinated, for kids whose age group isn't approved for the vaccine yet, and for teens who literally just got approved days before the mask mandate was loosened.

But the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, like my sister's flat-earther Covid-is-a-hoax co-worker who just got it? They made their bed, they can lie in it. If they won't make an effort to protect others by protecting themselves, they can catch it and either get immunity the natural way or remove themselves from the population. I feel sad for their children, their sensible family members, and anyone vulnerable they infect due to their stupidity. But I have no sympathy for them, they could have gottten vaccinated and worn masks, but made their choice not to.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

My employer is allowing those of us who are fully vaccinated plus two weeks go without a mask at work so long as HR knows when we had our doses.  Those who are not vaxed (or didn't share with HR) still have to wear masks.  My department has been giving the lone not vaxed (he told us) member a hard time.  My severely congested sinuses (thank you allergies and weird body that does this instead of sneezing) is happy about this change because I can now breathe a bit better. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I felt the same way you're describing the day after my second Pfizer shot.  Dragged all day then suddenly, that evening, I realized I felt a lot better.  It was oddly abrupt and the symptoms didn't return - unlike after the first shot, when they waxed and waned for days.  Hope you have a similar experience.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

I felt the same way you're describing the day after my second Pfizer shot.  Dragged all day then suddenly, that evening, I realized I felt a lot better.  It was oddly abrupt and the symptoms didn't return - unlike after the first shot, when they waxed and waned for days.  Hope you have a similar experience.

I hope so too.  I'm feeling like I have a starter-flu and told work I'm available for emergencies only so I can nap. Not too bad and knock wood no migraine so if I follow your timeline I'll be thrilled.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Alisamer said:

That really sucks for people who aren't able to be vaccinated

Basically. And it keeps them also at higher than necessary risk because of people who aren't willing to vaccinate. It also keeps the risk of a new variant which the vaccine doesn't cover well emerging, as there's a constant large pool of susceptible people.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

14 hours ago, Smash! said:

I've been happy with the triple layer masks I ordered from Stark's Vacuum in Portland. They have a panel over the nose that makes my glasses fog much less often.

I'm in a lower vax area of my state. I wear my cloth masks to work (in a school), but still grab my N95s for shopping and being out in public. While more people don't wear masks, I'm sure many are anti covid vaxxers and not fully vaccinated.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

It‘s day 2 after the shot and my symptoms are mostly gone. I‘m still tired and get out of breath after just a few steps of the stairs which isn‘t normal. But the cold-like symptoms disappeared. How are you doing @HerNameIsBuffy?

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Negative side: we've gone into lockdown for 7 days again. This is because our case numbers have spiked.

Positive side: the vaccine hotline melted down after everyone tried to call to get an appointment at once. People really would like to stop this cycle, and now that they've announced 40-49 year olds are eligible and brought in more stock we might get somewhere. Assuming anyone manages to get an appointment.

Neutral side: I had the flu vaccine last week so I'm giving it until next week before I try the hotline to try and get an appointment.

Bitchy side,: complacency gets you nowhere. Also couldn't we have done this last week when I was on crutches? Sigh.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Smash! said:

It‘s day 2 after the shot and my symptoms are mostly gone. I‘m still tired and get out of breath after just a few steps of the stairs which isn‘t normal. But the cold-like symptoms disappeared. How are you doing @HerNameIsBuffy?

Sorry you're still feeling tired.  I was super tired and achy yesterday, like mild flu, but today I'm back to normal except for being tired.  I did have a really hard time sleeping last night, not sick just wide awake (super rare for me) so tired today due to that.  

Hope you get your normal energy back soon and can take it easy in the meantime.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Pfizer vaccine one done. Im normally scared of needles...but actually it didnt hurt at all, wasnt a big deal and I am not at all anxious about getting a second dose. I had nothing at all to worry about. I had it two hours ago, and right now I feel great.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

@Ozlsn thinking of you. The whole system needs to change (and it needed to happen yesterday). Leigh Sales tore into Greg Hunt. Selfishly I’m hoping that the Vic situation prompts a vax push nation wide. I’m still waiting for my first jab and I was meant to be done a couple of months ago ?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/leigh-sales-rips-into-greg-hunt-on-730-over-slow-covid-vaccine-rollout/news-story/6127fd50da2c3ea7cbf7854d00dca482

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, adidas said:

I’m still waiting for my first jab and I was meant to be done a couple of months ago ?

I don't know if we have lots of people here who are choosing to not get vaccinated, or if we just lucked into a large supply, but the vaccine clinic being run by the one hospital system is advertising on the radio that anyone 12 years and older can walk in to the clinic on certain days and get vaccinated without an appointment. I'm afraid it means that my stupid, crazy fellow residents are refusing to get vaccinated. :(

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Removing errant "o"
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic