IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

My state just stopped all Covid-19 restrictions and our state of emergency ends at midnight tonight. Yesterday, we hit the milestone of 80% of our population aged 12 and over having received at least one dose of the vaccine. I'm excited yet also conflicted. I think I'm still going to wear my mask inside stores. It just feels weird to have been cautious for so long and then just drop it.

I'm seeing more and more shoppers and employees without masks, which provides extra motivation for me to wear one.  I'm vaxxed, but the vaccine isn't 100% effective and I'd prefer to avoid even a mild case of COVID-19.

That said, if I was to shop and realize that I forgot to put my mask on I wouldn't be too afraid...but I would definitely put on a mask.

• Upvote 6

On 6/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, Dandruff said:

I'm seeing more and more shoppers and employees without masks, which provides extra motivation for me to wear one.  I'm vaxxed, but the vaccine isn't 100% effective and I'd prefer to avoid even a mild case of COVID-19.

That said, if I was to shop and realize that I forgot to put my mask on I wouldn't be too afraid...but I would definitely put on a mask.

Agreed. I'm more comfortable, but I'm still masking.

• Upvote 6

Managed to get vaccinated (finally). Not thrilled with the organisation, but at least it got done. No side effects other than being cranky about how long it took so far!

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

I’m so relieved you finally got the vaccination.  What a long process.  Did you get the one-time dose or the first of two?  ?  I hope any side effects are mild.  

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Agreed. I'm more comfortable, but I'm still masking.

I‘m the same. I still use a FFP2/KN95 Mask inside stores and don‘t go if crowded. But double vaccinated I finally feel I can protect myself. At work when CO2 levels are good I only wear a surgical mask but we still have a mask mandate. I participate in the weekly optional testing even tough they don‘t recommend it for fully vaccinated people. I opted to get tested every Friday so I‘m safe when visiting my mom who can‘t get the shot.

@Ozlsn Yay congratulations! That must feel goood ? 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m so relieved you finally got the vaccination.  What a long process.  Did you get the one-time dose or the first of two?  ?  I hope any side effects are mild.  

No, Pfizer, so I need to make an appointment for second dose in three weeks time. I was surprised they didn't just make appointments while we were there, because that would help a lot. As it is I'm going to be interested to see the second dose compliance rate. Long explanation of why I was cranky in spoiler:

Spoiler

The process moved along, but still took 1 hour and 19 minutes from arrival to getting my car out again (per parking ticket). I parked near door 3, only doors 1 and 6 were open - this is in a large convention centre. So I walked to door 1, climbed the stairs to ground level, exited the building to walk to the vaccination centre entrance at door 4 (that I could see clearly behind the installed barriers from door 1), re-entered at door 4, checked in via QR, sanitised my hands and then was directed to a queue that was nearly back past door 3. There were four signs for different queues - "over 60, appointment", "over 60 second dose", "59 and under second dose" and "59 and under appointment" (Quick explanation - over 60s are only being offered the Astra-zeneca vaccine unless they have specific medical conditions, and after more clotting cases and deaths the group being offered Pfizer was expanded to 59 and under during the week. The rollout has also just been expanded to people aged over 40 in the last month). There was only one queue - the only people I saw going through the other queues were under 59 and bringing people also aged under 59 with additional needs to the appointment - there were directed there by the staff to get through the process a bit quicker.

So we all moved along, in a socially distant manner, until we got to the front and entered the exhibition hall. At that point we stood shoulder to shoulder while they registered us at the desk - presumably the computer cords weren't long enough? - and then back to socially distanced queue until we were directed to a waiting seat in front of a booth. There were 40 booths set up, on the side I was on 10/20 were actually open. On a weekend, and presumably at a time when they knew how many people they had coming.

There were people arriving while I was still queuing in the first queue who were asking "How long will this take? An hour? What's the point of having a booking system them?" and leaving again.  I get why they have a booking system - minimise wastage - but they also said this week that they weren't taking walk ins so that is going to happen anyway.

Between just the length of time it took (this is also across the city from my house, so took me 40 minutes to get there and 60 to get home) and now having to try and get through to the booking system again to make a second appointment - they are going to lose people who could be vaccinated now but who decide it's too hard and they'll wait.

In comparison my sister, who lives in a different, admittedly much smaller, state turned up to her appointment, was seen in about 5 minutes, got a text message with her second dose appointment date during the 15 minute waiting period and was out in under 30 minutes. It did take them 7 hours on hold to get the appointment (phone lines melted after the announcement) but since then smooth sailing.

Short explanation of why I was cranky: It took too long, my knee hurt the entire time and I had no drugs or water with me.  If I'd known I would have parked at door 6, which is much closer to door 4. Also seriously, a coffee/food van selling to the queue would make out like (masked) bandits.

On the less cranky side I haven't noticed any side effects, which is good. Other than the crankiness!

• Love 7

I'm so sorry it was such a mess.  It will be such a relief when you're done with dose 2 though.  

• I Agree 5

I have two kids. Older is 14, Younger will be 12 late in August.
As of Sunday, Older is fully vaccinated. All of our families and friends are, as well.
Younger (who is high risk) is FURIOUS that she cannot get her vaccine until her birthday and is asking to please fib to the county and tell them she’s 12 (they don’t seem to check) so she can get her shot.
I’m so very tempted.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

57 minutes ago, bea said:

I have two kids. Older is 14, Younger will be 12 late in August.
As of Sunday, Older is fully vaccinated. All of our families and friends are, as well.
Younger (who is high risk) is FURIOUS that she cannot get her vaccine until her birthday and is asking to please fib to the county and tell them she’s 12 (they don’t seem to check) so she can get her shot.
I’m so very tempted.

I know that "safe for kids" is a different medical research process than "safe for adults and teens" but you'd think being high risk would allow for some leeway! ?

• Upvote 5

I think we’re going to bend the rules and get Younger her shot six weeks early.
We’re going to a very red state for a few days and frankly I’m more worried now than I was last summer because people don’t even pretend to take precautions and all mitigation strategies have been discontinued.
It would be different if she were 10. Or tiny. Or not so very high risk. But Mr Bea and I decided that July 2, we will pretend she was born in June rather than August

• Love 12

If anyone is coming to or through Missouri, please note, our case rates have taken a jump (even locally, and I’m in a county with a higher vaccination rate).  Between the anti vax crowd, the covid is all a conspiracy and I ain’t getting no vaccine crowd, and the tourists rolling thru (literally driving across the state on 70 or heading to Branson; the state is a mess.  

• Sad 10

On 6/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, OHFL2009 said:

I made the terrible discovery that you can order Girl Scout cookies online this year. There are two different bakeries that supply GS cookies, and the bakery that supplies our area only makes one flavor I can eat (I'm not complaining about Thin Mints, I just like variety). The other bakery makes several flavors I can eat, so I went online and found out the troop in my mom's hometown gets theirs from the second bakery. I may have ordered WAY too many boxes.

Oooh... that's good to know! I much, much, much prefer the cookies from ABC than the ones from Little Brownie, I think they just taste so much better. 

Bad to know, for my waistline, but good to know for finding the good cookies!

11 hours ago, bea said:

I think we’re going to bend the rules and get Younger her shot six weeks early.
We’re going to a very red state for a few days and frankly I’m more worried now than I was last summer because people don’t even pretend to take precautions and all mitigation strategies have been discontinued.
It would be different if she were 10. Or tiny. Or not so very high risk. But Mr Bea and I decided that July 2, we will pretend she was born in June rather than August

I think that's a good call - it's not like she'll wake up on her birthday and it'll suddenly be safe for her to get the shot when it wasn't before. 

I have mostly been still wearing a mask, but few people are, it seems. It's a mix here, mostly. 

Although this weekend I was at a huge antique mall and kept taking my mask off... my allergies are really really bothering me and it was just difficult to breathe, and I usually don't find masks difficult to breathe in. It was also hot, which probably didn't help. I'd take off my mask when others weren't around, and put it back if someone came near. 

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Oooh... that's good to know! I much, much, much prefer the cookies from ABC than the ones from Little Brownie, I think they just taste so much better. 

Bad to know, for my waistline, but good to know for finding the good cookies!

ABC makes all the flavors that I can eat, so I agree. I do prefer the Thin Mints from Little Brownies, but I've never been known to turn down a Thin Mint of any variety, so it's a minor preference.

• Upvote 4

FYI  Cleaver Is the Rep that covers the Missouri side of Metro KC.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Mr 05 got two letters in the mail last week from the state health department telling him the date of his “first shot” and that he needs to get his second. One had the correct date of his first dose and the other the correct date of his second.  
The news story in the state has been that people aren’t returning for their second dose thus our low vaccination rate.  And this weekend a local tv news station had a story about thousands of people getting these letters and contacting whoever gave their shots because they’re fully vaccinated.  
SMDH.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Switzerland is opening up massively even tough only 30% had the 2nd and 15% the first shot of the Covid vaccine. A few weeks ago, the Federal Council promised to further ease the restrictions only after everyone who wanted has gotten the opportunity to get vaccinated. But we‘ve seen in the last year that they don‘t care about what was said before.

Major events can happen again and qpeople don‘t even have to wear masks. All types of secondary schools don‘t have a mask mandate anymore. Which means I most likely will be surrounded by unvaccinated maskless students and coworkers at work soon. No more mandatory working from home. Shops, fitnesstudios at full capacity of people now.

Our numbers are low because of summer, but this is fucking insane. This is a VIP invitation for the Delta variant spreading in Switzerland. Doesn‘t matter that we will have a lot of people bringing Delta home from vacation, let‘s make sure that the variant has the best possible conditions to spread in the country!

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5
  • Eyeroll 2

So my state's completely removing the mask mandate next week. Never mind that we're not at 70% of eligible adults having gotten their first shot, never mind their second. We're close, but still not there. And I was told that my work is removing its own mask policy next week in response, never mind that we have a ton of kids, pregnant women, and the elderly coming in on a regular basis, especially with summer coming up. I'm just so thrilled!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

I finally managed to secure a shot for myself on Monday. I caught Covid just before Christmas at work (hospital, caring for infected patients provided with what later turned out to be faulty masks). The hospital had manged to vaccinate the majority of its staff in-house early January and then with a mass-appointment at one of the vaccination centers in February. Not included was anyone who had had Covid, as by then it had been decided that this group would need to wait at least 3 months before getting the vaccine. Then that timeframe shifted to 6 months. And then they opened up vaccinations for all adults a few weeks ago and appointments weren't to be found in the past two weeks since I've been really looking. They did organise another event for those of us who caught it, but refused to vaccinate people who were more than 10 days out from having made it the full six months. As in, they literally sent people home from the vaccination center who work as nurses every damn day and made the time to drive there and be vaccinated after they got infected in the workplace (I didn't try to get my shot then because I was taking that guideline seriously and was glad I didn't set myself up for that disappointment after I heard about it). So it will be a single dose of Pfizer for me on Monday, and I will be considered fully vaccinated 2,5 weeks from now. So glad to finally get this done!

• Love 9

Anyone know what the current situation really is in Japan?  I have an elderly friend who lives there.  As of a few weeks ago, she still had no idea when she might be vaccinated.  From what I can find on the news, the government is finally making a big push to get shots into arms before the Olympics, but given the clusterfucks so far I don't know what to believe.  The percent of people reported to be fully vaccinated is still in the single digits.

• Sad 2
  • Thank You 2

On 6/20/2021 at 8:21 AM, Ozlsn said:

No, Pfizer, so I need to make an appointment for second dose in three weeks time. I was surprised they didn't just make appointments while we were there, because that would help a lot. As it is I'm going to be interested to see the second dose compliance rate. Long explanation of why I was cranky in spoiler:

Hide contents

The process moved along, but still took 1 hour and 19 minutes from arrival to getting my car out again (per parking ticket). I parked near door 3, only doors 1 and 6 were open - this is in a large convention centre. So I walked to door 1, climbed the stairs to ground level, exited the building to walk to the vaccination centre entrance at door 4 (that I could see clearly behind the installed barriers from door 1), re-entered at door 4, checked in via QR, sanitised my hands and then was directed to a queue that was nearly back past door 3. There were four signs for different queues - "over 60, appointment", "over 60 second dose", "59 and under second dose" and "59 and under appointment" (Quick explanation - over 60s are only being offered the Astra-zeneca vaccine unless they have specific medical conditions, and after more clotting cases and deaths the group being offered Pfizer was expanded to 59 and under during the week. The rollout has also just been expanded to people aged over 40 in the last month). There was only one queue - the only people I saw going through the other queues were under 59 and bringing people also aged under 59 with additional needs to the appointment - there were directed there by the staff to get through the process a bit quicker.

So we all moved along, in a socially distant manner, until we got to the front and entered the exhibition hall. At that point we stood shoulder to shoulder while they registered us at the desk - presumably the computer cords weren't long enough? - and then back to socially distanced queue until we were directed to a waiting seat in front of a booth. There were 40 booths set up, on the side I was on 10/20 were actually open. On a weekend, and presumably at a time when they knew how many people they had coming.

There were people arriving while I was still queuing in the first queue who were asking "How long will this take? An hour? What's the point of having a booking system them?" and leaving again.  I get why they have a booking system - minimise wastage - but they also said this week that they weren't taking walk ins so that is going to happen anyway.

Between just the length of time it took (this is also across the city from my house, so took me 40 minutes to get there and 60 to get home) and now having to try and get through to the booking system again to make a second appointment - they are going to lose people who could be vaccinated now but who decide it's too hard and they'll wait.

In comparison my sister, who lives in a different, admittedly much smaller, state turned up to her appointment, was seen in about 5 minutes, got a text message with her second dose appointment date during the 15 minute waiting period and was out in under 30 minutes. It did take them 7 hours on hold to get the appointment (phone lines melted after the announcement) but since then smooth sailing.

Short explanation of why I was cranky: It took too long, my knee hurt the entire time and I had no drugs or water with me.  If I'd known I would have parked at door 6, which is much closer to door 4. Also seriously, a coffee/food van selling to the queue would make out like (masked) bandits.

On the less cranky side I haven't noticed any side effects, which is good. Other than the crankiness!

Ugh that sounds exhausting. I’m still not eligible (under 40) but my daughter was in hospital with a concussion on Sunday night and a friend who was coming in to get her vaccination on Monday picked us up and dropped us home. She said it was reasonably organised but needed an extra staff member, and got her shot about 40min after her booked appointment time.

I understand that our vaccine rollout was always going to take longer than other countries, but with the delta strain in Sydney I’m nervous. The government advice is not clear or easy to understand, the rules on who is locked down vs who is not are not easy to enforce, and the usual school holiday mass exodus will send a heap of people up the coast or out to the ski fields.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

WHO says wear a mask.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/delta-who-urges-fully-vaccinated-people-to-continue-to-wear-masks-as-variant-spreads.html

The World Health Organization on Friday urged fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks, social distance and practice other Covid-19 pandemic safety measures as the highly contagious delta variant spreads rapidly across the globe.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

38 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

My Dr told me that with my (relatively minor) medical issues I should still be cautious even with full immunity after vaccination. She said the vax will stop Covid from killing me rather than stop me from catching it. I’m also less likely to spread it. 

We have another outbreak here so more lockdowns are happening as of midnight last night. Same as last time - right in time for school holidays.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/bbc-wall-street-journal-new-york-times-reacts-to-sydney-coronavirus-lockdown/news-story/27857a87bc4b0d3c4424c7862ea45686

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic