IGNORED

Political Memes, Comics, and other Shenanigans, Part 29

GreyhoundFan

43CF7FAD-B2D2-4E4C-B6F5-36FE8A53BC0A.thumb.jpeg.8307b524f55bd02ae08e334c9649bd4a.jpeg

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyhoundFan

• ADoyle90815

• 47of74

• fraurosena

And for mistie members of FJ land he’s finally been turned off.  

• Upvote 6

• Upvote 9

image.png.1c54d77d606f95cd6a0fa08bc4b21321.png

"Rush to Heaven"

Call me crazy, but it’s my belief that if the only people who are going to cry and miss you after you die are Nazis and Klansmen (you know, Trumpers), then you’re probably not going to Heaven.

In case you haven’t heard the news, Rush Limbaugh died today.

When people saw this cartoon shortly after I posted it on social media, many of them said there’s no way Rush is going to Heaven. First, this is a metaphor. I don’t even believe in Heaven but if we go by the metaphor, he’s not in Heaven here. He’s just at the door where it’s decided if you’re in or not. I didn’t draw a welcome mat.

I liked drawing this because I don’t like drawing people going to Hell. I don’t really like drawing them going to Heaven either. I am not the person who makes those kind of calls and I’m not comfortable stating where someone is going to end up. Here, it’s up to the reader to decide what these angels are going to call. But yeah, Rush isn’t going to a place of love because he’s spent his entire life building a career out of hatred.

He hosted a groundbreaking show for decades that told people to hate each other. Rush Limbaugh was a racist and if Heaven does exist, I seriously doubt it’s a racist place. “Feminazi” and “slut” probably are not words tossed around a lot in the clouds.

In the early 90s, I considered myself a conservative. I really did, though looking back, I’m not sure why I did that. My cartoons were hitting everyone and I believed in stuff like gay marriage and was against stuff like flag amendments. But I lived in a small town, Batesville, Mississippi, where there was not a talk radio station and we couldn’t get AM signals from Memphis. But Rush had a TV show. My wife and I watched it.

At first, we were eager to watch the show. And with each episode, we grew less enchanted with Rush. He’d say one thing hateful and we’d be like, “I can’t support that.” He’d do it about something else and we’d go, “Not this either.” Then, Kurt Cobain died. Rush played a clip of Nirvana and the audience laughed. Rush then spoke to young viewers about how they didn’t need to listen to grunge or have teenage angst. Depression was all in their heads. The answer to their problems was the Republican Party.

We never watched Rush again. And my wife and grew to seriously dislike him. He stopped being funny and we realized he was just an angry old butthurt racist and sexist asshole. Television must have agreed because his brand of hate didn’t work on early 90s television. Fox News hadn’t been invented yet. Rush’s hatred only sold on radio.

Years later, right after I started my job in Fredericksburg, Virginia, the assistant editor of the editorial page was a Rush fan. He’d time his lunch to listen to a part of Rush’s show. I stopped going to lunch with him. His show was three hours of him barking racist bullshit. Who can listen to that for three hours? No wonder these people are so angry. It’s probably how you make terrorists. If you listen to enough of this shit, you’re gonna wanna blow something up.

I don’t like talk radio in general. I hated The Rush Limbaugh Show. Do you know why there has never been a liberal talk radio show as successful as Rush’s? Because liberals aren’t Kool-Aid drinkers. Rush’s fans were called “Dittoheads.” Liberals don’t say, “ditto.” Liberals think for themselves. It’s why I became a liberal.

Rush Limbaugh mocked the children who died at Sandy Hook were being used as “human shields” by President Obama. He mocked Michael J. Fox and accused him of faking his Parkinson’s Disease. He made fun of Ruth Bader Ginsburg for having cancer. He called Sandra Fluke a slut for taking birth control pills daily (Rush never figured out how birth control works). He was a huge advocate for the racist birther lie. He was adored by Donald Trump and was given a the Presidential Medal of Freedom by the guy who hated freedom. Irony, people.

And Rush said some dumb shit too. Rus claimed climate change didn’t exist. He said the existence of gorillas prove evolution is fake. He claimed President Obama turned NASA into a “Muslim outreach department.” He claimed Obamacare was the largest tax increase in the world. He said the Batman movie named their villain “Bane” to get at Mitt Romney’s former company, also called, “Bane.” He said Obama banned fishing (what happened to him banning guns?). President Obama wanted to mandate circumcision (which Rush planned to blame for his tiny…). In case you didn’t notice, he really hated President Obama. I wonder why.

Rush Limbaugh poisoned this country for years. His show was a home for hatred. He told us to hate. He sold hate. Hate made him a millionaire. I’m not going to tell you where the soul of Rush Limbaugh is going. I’m not even going to wish he goes to a bad place. I’m just going to wish that Rush Limbaugh, if there is an afterlife, gets what’s coming to him.

Also, I can’t wait to see some conservative cartoons memorializing him. I need a laugh.

Creative note: I did something very similar to this with Don Imus that was a reference to his “nappy-headed ho’s” comment. I drew that in December, 2019 and I honestly forgot I did it until a reader asked me if I had done this before. I had to think and then it hit me. Oh, well, It’s mine. If anything, I could probably draw this cartoon every time a racist dies.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

image.png.f4fe06d8fffb7f6b027597ee90d14aad.png

"Moo Deregulations"

In case you live in Florida, southern California, or Hawaii, there’s a major winter storm whipping across most of the nation. It’s even hitting the southern states where snow is less welcome than Yankee agitators and instant grits. And if you live in Texas, I’m so sorry.

Texas is unique in a lot of ways, but also in how they operate power. Their power grid is not connected to other states. It’s totally independent of other states. And with this winter storm hitting the state, over four million people went without power Monday and Tuesday. Whom does Texas blame? Wind turbines. Last summer when California had this same problem during a heat wave, Texas scoffed and blamed liberals.

Texas conservatives, climate change denialists, and people who are anti-clean energy (which is most of Texas) say the wind turbines froze so four million people went without power and people died. Really? Is that what happened, Slim?

Cartoonist Antonio Branco, a staunch pro-Trump Qanon cartoonist whose work is distributed by Creators Syndicate, published a cartoon this morning blaming wind turbines. In the cartoon, the fault for Texas’ power outage is blamed on windmills, climate change believers, President Joe Biden and Vice-President Kamala Harris. Now keep in mind, and I say this with all due respect, Branco is an idiot.

The thing is, if you’re a conservative cartoonist, you don’t need facts. You don’t even need to read the story…just read the headline of your daily talking points. It’s bad enough when a stupid cartoonist in a cult doesn’t rely on facts and science, but it’s even worse when a congressman does it.

Texas Representative Dan Crenshaw (guess which party he’s in) tweeted, “This is what happens when you force the grid to rely in part on wind as a power source. When weather conditions get bad as they did this week, intermittent renewable energy like wind isn’t there when you need it.”

With all due respect, Crenshaw is an idiot. Or if he’s not an idiot and he knows wind turbines aren’t too blame, then shouldn’t he at least be honest with his constituents? I understand since he’s a Texas Republican, that a lot of his campaign money comes from oil and PACS that anti having any sort of climate, but shouldn’t a member of the United States House of Representatives put aside his personal greedy interests and focus on his constituents first? I’m sorry. I forgot we were talking about Republicans.

And honestly, Mr. Crenshaw, Danny boy, Texas did NOT run out of wind this week.

Tucker Carlson said in his usual Tucker style, “So it was all working great until the day it got cold outside. The windmills failed like the silly fashion accessories they are, and people in Texas died.” With all due respect, Tucker Carlson is an idiot. Something tells me Branco watches Tucker.

The thing is, we’re talking about Texas. Do you really believe Texas’ energy is all run by wind turbines and solar panels? Wind turbines only account for 13 percent of the state’s energy production according to ERCOT, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas. And even then, while wind turbines do freeze, they are being used in places like Maine, Canada, Scandinavia, Siberia etc. If you get a wind turbine to keep working during winter in Greenland, you should be able to keep them churning in Texas.

You can NOT blame wind for the power outage in Texas. Also, while we’re on the subject: Stop with the turbines-bird-killing argument. First off, you’re a conservative. You’re not going to convince me that you suddenly care about birds now. Also, cats kill more birds each year than wind turbines do. Fact.

Back to the power outage in Texas, what really happened? It was cats. Sorry. No. It was the inability of Texas power grids, mostly using fossil fuels, being unable to keep up with demand.

It comes down to this: Texas deregulated energy grids and power companies. Texas deregulates everything. It’s why there are occasional fertilizer plant explosions that kill 15 people in Texas.

But with power, Texas counts on the weather not getting too cold, so they can sell a lot of power cheaply. When it does get cold, like really cold, it can be very hard to produce energy. Texas decided it was worth it to sell cheap energy with the tradeoff being that every ten years or so, everybody’s power goes out and grandma freezes to death.

There are no incentives for power companies in Texas to prepare for winter. It’s all cheap. Governor Greg Abbott was screaming this week for reform to the power grids, but Abbot’s been governor since 2015. He waited six years and for a cold snap before he calls for reforms? That’s how they do it in Texas. And when that cold snap hits, you can be fucked. When it gets back to the 60s next week, Texas will forget about this. The state legislature is planning to conduct committee hearings on the problem, but by the time they get started, the hearings will be held in an Austin broom closet.

Houston saw the wholesale prices of megawatt-hours go from $22 to over $9,000. Griddy, which sounds like a fast food flapjack restaurant, but is actually a company that sells power to retail customers without locking in prices in advance, told its customers to find another source before they got “socked with tremendous bills.”

Do you know what happens when your bill goes from $22 to $9,000? You don’t have power. Edward Hirs, an energy fellow at the University of Houston, said the disinvestment in electricity production reminds him of the last years of the Soviet Union, or of the oil sector today in Venezuela. “They hate it when I say that,” he said.

And Texans would rather blame wind turbines or Kamala Harris than even look at the actual problem. And honestly, I’m surprised they haven’t blamed it on Mexicans. And a lot of people in Texas keep talking about seceding and becoming their own nation while they can barely tie their own shoelaces.

Energy is part of our infrastructure, like roads and bridges. A lot of our plants are outdated. Even one nuclear plant in Texas lost power earlier this week because of the cold. Unfortunately, to fix things, it costs money. If you own a house or a car, you know this.

What Texas needs to do is deregulate their deregulation. They’re going to have to charge higher prices to reform their energy sector. Also, maybe rely more on alternative energy like, oh…I don’t know…maybe wind turbines? How about solar energy? Contrary to fucknut beliefs, solar works on rays from the sun, not heat. Solar does work when it’s cold. Somebody go tell Congressman Crenshaw.

But, hey. It’s OK if you don’t reform your power grids in Texas as long as you accept that occasionally, you’re gonna lose power and freeze unless you sleep with the cattle. And why not? You’re already full of bullshit.

• Upvote 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic