IGNORED

The GOP: Not What It Used to Be

fraurosena

Something that occurred to me this morning after seeing the New Year's invariable Year 2038 problem posts that said problem will occur in a little over 14 years from now.

In a nushell the problem is a is a time formatting bug in some computer systems that were designed with 32 bit architecture will have with representing times after January 18/19 2038 (03:14:07 UTC on January 19 to be exact).  Those systems running 32 bit software that haven't already been patched may experience serious issues after that date because once that date/time is passed the time will wrap around, fucking up stuff.  Some of this is already fixed, with modern software using 64 bit architecture designed to not wrap around for hundreds, millions, or even billions of years.  A lot of modern systems like servers, consumer computers, tablets, and mobile devices are already built that this isn't a problem.  But many older embedded systems (TVs, appliances, vehicles, etc) still use 32 bit time.  While most of them will probably be out of service by 2038 I don't think all of them will be.

I mentioned how the 2038 problem is about 14 years away in an IT FB group I'm a member of and how Y2k turned out to not be much of anything.   Another member responded that Y2K was a nothing burger because the Clinton administration had encouraged government and businesses to step up their response and take it all very seriously to minimize disruptions.  Which businesses did.

Would I have the same confidence that if the GQP was running things leading up to 2038?  FUCK NO.  They'd be too busy trying to control what women could do, what people could teach, what children could learn, and who people could love to worry about that.  Given the performance of the Republican fucksticks in Congress this year they're far more concerned with "owning the libs" and fighting their own culture war bullshit than actually taking care of real problems people face. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Thank You 2

Continued here:

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic