IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

12 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Wow, Allison's story turn worse every day. I almost feel pity for her. Discovering "new" fundies makes me appreaciate more the Maxwells. At least they understand that a couple needs their own home!

Allison has posted a picture in black and white to hide the red walls. If she was proud of the house or happily living with the inlaws, she would be preaching about that. 

I hope they are saving money to buy or rent a house.

As if a b&w would throw fj off the case ?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live with my in laws or my parents for that matter- especially as newlyweds. So Jeremiah's parents basically got a house elf and he and Allison get t play house in his childhood bedroom. 

• Upvote 10

So Allison went from living under Pa Bontrager’s roof to Pa Helferich’s roof. She hopped out of the frying pan and into the fire. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 2

I'm surprised that Allison is living with her in-laws, only because 'providing a home for the missus' seems like something her 'Mighty Man' father would have required prior to the wedding.   But it also explains why we are not being inundated with the photos and stories that I was expecting.

I don't judge anyone for living with parents if that is what they need to do.  My husband and I did briefly when I was going through cancer treatments, and I love my in-laws much more than my fundie parents, but it was really hard.  You never get to just kickback and relax, and you feel like you can't fight with your spouse (which I argue, is a healthy part of a relationship). 

I can't imagine getting to know my husband and being intimate for the first time while living with my in-laws.   That seems awful.

I'm guessing, based on the area, that the new couple is building a house?  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I have a very snide remark for Mrs. Hospitality.

Buy a tablecloth that fits the table. Eating at a table with a cloth that is too short for the table can make a huge mess when it gets caught on an elbow or hand moving to pick up a glass. That cloth that just barely reaches the edge is a mess waiting to happen. The fringe just ads to the problem. 

I am not Miss Hospitality/Manners/Homemaker/Whatever. I live very from most rules of etiquette or formality. But, tablecloths should have several inches of drop for reasons aside from formality (although the more formal the meal, the longer the drop should be...according to my grandmother). 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would rather live in a tiny crappy apartment by ourselves than with in-laws as newlyweds.

Agreed! We had to start with my MIL in between moves one time for about 8 weeks.

Hopefully they have some privacy somehow. Like maybe they live in a small trailer something and do meals in the main house. 

• Upvote 4

There's not much to pick between Marlin Bontrager and Father-In-Law Helferich.  The Helferichs might be strichter, but his parents are older and maybe less angry.

This explains the skirt extender. She needs to make her skirts longer since she lives with her in-laws and their daughters. I think Jeremiah seems like a laid-back guy, so it's probably his parents' rules in their house...

She'll have aunt moms if they have a baby soon. Hopefully they had a honeymoon before they moved in with the parents. 

• Upvote 9

I've heard the price of lumber is up 50%, so it is more expensive to build, and if that was their plan it might be delayed a while. 

• Upvote 8

Very disappointed for her. Thought fundie men were supposed to have a home ready or almost ready. I've even heard they start saving money soon after puberty. Do we know of any other fundie husbands who didn't  have a home for their new brides? I guess I'm use to the Maxwell and Duggars who always have homes ready. Well I guess this is a good way for Allison to get to know his family on a deeper level. 

• Upvote 6

On Allison, apparently, living with her in-laws, I thought the husband being financially independent and able to afford his own place was a fundie must before marriage. I wonder if Jeremiah had everything set up to rent an apartment or house only to have it fall threw at the last moment.

There are some states that have started to enforce strict guidelines when allowing renters to move into apartment complexes since COVID hit. So, if Jeremiah had everything set up for an apartment, then it may have been put on hold, especially if the landlord wanted and/or the law required him and Allison to quarantine for fourteen days before moving in permanently since they got married at a large wedding out and went on a honeymoon out of state. if they were looking at a house, then the owner may insist they quarantine for fourteen days before moving in. Considering the Bontragers and, most likely, the Helferichs consider the pandemic to be a hoax, I don't think Jeremiah and Allison would be too keen on a fourteen day quarantine. I don't know the laws that have been enforced in Minnesota, I am just speculating since Allison Bontrager is the first fundie maiden, I've heard of, to move from her fathers house to live in her father-in-laws house.

Also, I don't believe Marlin and Becky would willingly marry off their daughter to a man who can't afford his own place, especially with children around the corner. I mean, let's face it Allison will probably announce they have a little one on the way around Christmas time or shortly after new years. So, I am assuming that Jeremiah and Allison will be on their way to a new place by the time the newest grandbaby comes. But, what do I know. Marlin and Becky were so desperate to marry off their children they could have been more than willing to let Allison marry a man who is far from financially dependent and plans on living with his parents for the foreseeable future. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Who would have thought that there would come day when I thought Steve Maxwell had done a better job in preparing his sons for marriage than some other fundie - but here we are. At least Chelsy got to move into her own place. 2020 is proving to be a very odd year.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

Steve Maxwell and his sons are relatively rich compared to most fundies. I have always thought the Maxwell boys were well-off compared to other fundies.

Most fundies have little to no standards about owning their own house. Michelle Duggar's infamous "Leave and Cleave" shows the mindset, although the Duggars now support their sons and most of their children, in-laws and grandchildren to some extent. They want the kids to get married so they don't sin (i.e. have sex, foreplay etc.). It doesn't matter as much if they can afford to be married. 

The Helferichs have a farm and Jeremiah I think is a farmer. The Bontragers are also farmers so they probably thought he had a good income. And there could be reasons, extenuating circumstances that have Allison and Jeremiah living with his folks.

The Bowers boys seem to have to offer than Jeremiah. If one of their sons marry, the couple will probably have to travel on the bus with folks. That's why they're single and starting a lawn care business.

Most fundie families don't have the means to set their sons up like Steve Maxwell. I think the fundie world is in for a crisis, because so many couples have so little training, education, etc. and yet they have tons of children to support. 

• Upvote 12

10 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Steve Maxwell and his sons are relatively rich compared to most fundies. I have always thought the Maxwell boys were well-off compared to other fundies.

Most fundies have little to no standards about owning their own house. Michelle Duggar's infamous "Leave and Cleave" shows the mindset, although the Duggars now support their sons and most of their children, in-laws and grandchildren to some extent. They want the kids to get married so they don't sin (i.e. have sex, foreplay etc.). It doesn't matter as much if they can afford to be married. 

The Helferichs have a farm and Jeremiah I think is a farmer. The Bontragers are also farmers so they probably thought he had a good income. And there could be reasons, extenuating circumstances that have Allison and Jeremiah living with his folks.

The Bowers boys seem to have to offer than Jeremiah. If one of their sons marry, the couple will probably have to travel on the bus with folks. That's why they're single and starting a lawn care business.

Most fundie families don't have the means to set their sons up like Steve Maxwell. I think the fundie world is in for a crisis, because so many couples have so little training, education, etc. and yet they have tons of children to support. 

If wonder if the plan is for Jeremiah and Allison to take over the family farm now. If that is the case, then it makes sense that they would move right into their house rather than find their own place and start working and living on the farm. After all, the Bontragers did, in my opinion, allude to the fact they plan on having one of their sons take over the farming operations when they plan on retiring when they mentioned the house they were building was for Carson and Lina. So, maybe Ma and Pa Helferich plan on staying there for a couple more years before letting Jeremiah and Allison take over the operations completely. It does look like from the wedding photos that most of Jeremiah's siblings are grown and married with children, so they may be considering downsizing and having them take over operations.

• Upvote 6

Allison was in charge of the family hotel, which she enjoyed very much. But the hotel was given to her brother.

She was interested in finance, too. Wasn't allowed to study. 

At home, as one of the olders, probably had some power and could use her managing kills. Now, she's in a house with a unknown mother in law and several sisters in law. There is no place for her to set rules or make decisions. 

The more I think about Allison, the more I feel for her. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

If wonder if the plan is for Jeremiah and Allison to take over the family farm now. If that is the case, then it makes sense that they would move right into their house rather than find their own place and start working and living on the farm. After all, the Bontragers did, in my opinion, allude to the fact they plan on having one of their sons take over the farming operations when they plan on retiring when they mentioned the house they were building was for Carson and Lina. So, maybe Ma and Pa Helferich plan on staying there for a couple more years before letting Jeremiah and Allison take over the operations completely. It does look like from the wedding photos that most of Jeremiah's siblings are grown and married with children, so they may be considering downsizing and having them take over operations.

I'm not sure about US, but in most parts of Europe, the tradicional rural family included 3 generations under the same roof. When my grandmas married, some couples had their own houses, but many (especially farmers) lived with the in-laws. 

I wonder if Helferiches want to stay in the big house with son and granchildren forevah.

I wonder if they are currently living all together on purpose. Considering the big land they have, they could at least put there a trailer or a RV or similar. I don't think it's too expensive. It' s very strange.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 8

There are a lot of Helferich boys though. How did they chose who to inherit the farm?

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Isn't Jeremiah also a fireman? I wonder if if everyone takes turns with cooking.

I didn't know this. What kind of fireman?  In rural areas, that's not necessarily a paid job. The Bontragers' fire was put out by volunteers. 

New post up about doughnuts: They look good. I wonder who wrote the blogpost, just credited to the family. 

• Upvote 2

I'm calling it now, based on this picture from the Bontrager blog:

grafik.png.09f0eb54a73965ffc33ae4dfb9787c33.png

I predict courtships/engagements for Denver Bontrager/Praise Helferich and Carver Bowers/Susanna Helferich. Maybe add Christian Bowers/Lauren Caldwell to the list.

I also think Liz Bontrager and Joe Xiques will be a thing as soon as she's deemed old enough. They need him for the band, and they make a cute-ish couple.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 6

Jeremiah does own, at least in name, a construction company and an excavating company with his brothers. (The excavating company has a FB page, and their trucks have tRump flags, which is, of course, not a surprise). Googling his name brings up several properties where he is at least partially on the list of owners or as a one time owner. Or, previous addresses. I take that to mean their construction company flips houses. I don't think he's unemployed or unable to take care of his bride. I think they are literally between houses. Maybe fixing one up but it isn't finished? Maybe waiting to find the right one? 

For all the concept of living with the in-laws makes me squig (for me) I don't think it's because he can't provide/doesn't have money/whatever. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

In small, rural, Midwestern towns (like where the Helferichs live) there are typically very few, if any, apartments. And not many houses for rent, either. The pandemic (and the economic uncertainty it is causing) is preventing people from moving. The supply of building materials is also affected because of production slow-downs. (My sister in Wisconsin is trying to move and it is a HEADACHE).

I hope they are just waiting for a remodel or new construction to be finished.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

Is it possible that the Helferich homestead has some sort of apartment/in-law suite attached to it?  I'm also curious if the family is going to Mexico this winter on their usual missioncation.

• Upvote 5

Is that Jackson Duggar in the instagram pic looking silly? Hope he stays a bachelor for a while longer. Looks like he still has a fun personality.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Is that Jackson Duggar in the instagram pic looking silly? Hope he stays a bachelor for a while longer. Looks like he still has a fun personality.

Yes, Jackson went to family camp. It looked like all the youngest Duggars went with JB and Michelle. Tyler, Jackson, Hannie, Jenny, Jordan and Josie. 

• Upvote 7

• samurai_sarah locked this topic