IGNORED

Counting on Season 11: TLC Manufactured Drama While Waiting for Life Events

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, LookieLoo said:

I could have sworn I’ve already seen the birth episodes for Addison and Bella on YouTube. So does TLC release those right after the births and then also make them as part of the “official” show months later? How pointless! 

Ah hahahaha ha. This made me laugh because Yes! Yes they do "officially"  release the same clips multiple times. They have been doing it for while (I can't remember what birth it started with). As soon as a baby is delivered a mini episode is aired on TLC and the internet. Then is is re-aired with a few new bits in an actual episode during the season several months later.. What with social media and the interwebs this makes some sense for births.

But they do this for everything! They show wedding and then they show the lead up to the wedding and then the wedding again! 

But they are really going for it now adding a whole hour of old clips from Counting On and !9KAC after each "new" episode. A new birthing marathon was aired...they showed all the televised births since Jackson (not counting the kids of Jill or Josh of course) and they showed all of Jessa's births...again. How many episodes can they fit in a clip of Jessa birthin babies? The answer is all of them.

I think TLC is incorporating old clips compilation eps with the new season because they can't re-run 19KAC...even in the wee hours of the morning...and so they just take the old episodes and repurpose them. I bet TLC really wants to use all the old 19KAC film they own and are sour they can't....well they can and this is how. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I do wonder if travel and social distancing restrictions this spring impacted the show. They have always recycled footage, but this season seems especially bad. I know the Duggars didn’t really change their lives much to prevent covid spread, but I expect Figure 8 had some limitations in terms of if/when/who could use their production facilities in NC. Even if they converted to 100% work from home, they would have lost time in the transition. The bar is so low for this show - why postpone a season when you can just spend half the time on themed clip shows.

• Upvote 7

Did anyone notice the new producer that came in a season or a few ago. There are 2 producers that are heard asking questions. Scott Enlow is one and he's been with the show forever (and is usually with Jing and Jer). The other is a woman and she is always the one asking the stupid questions in the talking heads. I don't know her name and it doesn't really matter. I just really dislike that producer. Sometimes I just shake my head with that production team and what they are doing. Like, lets take this turd and make it even more of a stupid turd. Now lets make it even shittier! Shittier and shittier!  Just present the bare turd guys, it's shitty enough. It's not that hard.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I mean are they really turning a profit with this shit show? Why not do occasional specials? They already have the Plaths as the new Quiverful family on display. The Plaths are riveting compared to the Duggars. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

We just loved the corn maze so much that we came up with the duggar dash around town for family fun and Michelle organized all of it. Yes,  she made the cricket tacos from scratch to commemorate that episode  time joe and kendra ate GORMET chef made cricket tacos with j&J and then the producers had everyone else try cricket tacos from.....um...the producers. The esgargot too.

There is a big difference between chefs at restaurants preparing snails or crickets for eating and whatever  the fuck the producers are passing them on paper plates. Where are they getting it, who is making these things.

Oh and the face masks the boys came up with and made all on their own. Where did the ingredients lists and ingredients come from?  The decorations were left there for them by who? 

Being a part of the show now seems to be just showing up to a place and going through whatever obstacle course the producers have set up for you.

• Upvote 7

I think TLC is going overboard with clip shows because they really can’t film new content right now. 90 day fiancé has the regular show, pillow talk where old cast members watch the regular show, and now “strikes back” where the cast watches other people watch their show and react. TLC put all their eggs in the reality show basket and now it’s backfiring spectacularly. 

• Upvote 10

On 8/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, CaricatureQualities said:

We just loved the corn maze so much that we came up with the duggar dash around town for family fun and Michelle organized all of it. Yes,  she made the cricket tacos from scratch to commemorate that episode  time joe and kendra ate GORMET chef made cricket tacos with j&J and then the producers had everyone else try cricket tacos from.....um...the producers. The esgargot too.

There is a big difference between chefs at restaurants preparing snails or crickets for eating and whatever  the fuck the producers are passing them on paper plates. Where are they getting it, who is making these things.

Oh and the face masks the boys came up with and made all on their own. Where did the ingredients lists and ingredients come from?  The decorations were left there for them by who? 

Being a part of the show now seems to be just showing up to a place and going through whatever obstacle course the producers have set up for you.

The way Michele says “EScar go” is like nails on a chalkboard.

• Upvote 2

But seriously snail is SOOOOO good. Maybe the texture is not for everyone (because it is similar to seafoods), but as far as taste goes, it is not strong or overbearing at all. It will usually taste like whatever sauce they are cooked with. Why do we often see this trope on American TV that escargot is slimy and disgusting?

And I've had crickets. It is pretty much the same as with snail. The crickets I tried were a bit nutty and smoked, but nothing horrible or too intense. Considering it is usually served with sauce (or I had some dipped in chocolate), the main taste is the condiment. :confusion-shrug:

• Upvote 8

40 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

But seriously snail is SOOOOO good. Maybe the texture is not for everyone (because it is similar to seafoods), but as far as taste goes, it is not strong or overbearing at all. It will usually taste like whatever sauce they are cooked with. Why do we often see this trope on American TV that escargot is slimy and disgusting?

And I've had crickets. It is pretty much the same as with snail. The crickets I tried were a bit nutty and smoked, but nothing horrible or too intense. Considering it is usually served with sauce (or I had some dipped in chocolate), the main taste is the condiment. :confusion-shrug:

I just can't get past the mental block of eww bugs, GROSS, but bugs make me soooo squeamish. 

ETA the thought of crunching bugs just makes me nauseous. It's just me individually, but I can't get past it.

Edited by Firebird
Adding
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

I've had snails professionally prepared twice, and they were really good. The 1st time I was skittish, but after that, nah they really are good. I'll have them again given the chance.  As for crickets? UGH I'm terrified of them alive, not sure I could eat them .

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, CaricatureQualities said:

Did anyone notice the new producer that came in a season or a few ago. There are 2 producers that are heard asking questions. Scott Enlow is one and he's been with the show forever (and is usually with Jing and Jer). The other is a woman and she is always the one asking the stupid questions in the talking heads. I don't know her name and it doesn't really matter. I just really dislike that producer. Sometimes I just shake my head with that production team and what they are doing. Like, lets take this turd and make it even more of a stupid turd. Now lets make it even shittier! Shittier and shittier!  Just present the bare turd guys, it's shitty enough. It's not that hard.

The woman is Courtney Enlow, Scott's wife. She's the one who gave birth when the Duggars were in China.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I kind of love that the weird/gross food thing only really worked on JB. Ben and Tyler were quite fine with their escargot and haggis. Whichever howler had the tater tot casserole seemed to struggle a bit, but tough to say if that was grossness or just trying to eat quickly when he wasn’t hungry. I love that super competitive JB lost because of his own narrow mindedness.

• Upvote 7

On 8/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, llg1234 said:
  Hide contents

Next up, JinJer are at a skate park in LA with Brian and his son Jude. Brian is from the UK and became a professional skateboarder when he was 19. Some of Jeremy's friends skated, but he never has before. Jinger hopes he doesn't break anything. Jeremy says half the battle is trusting your body. He eventually gets comfortable with being able to travel on the board. Brian moved to the US when he 15-16 and skated with Tony Hawk. He got married and then divorced. Afterwards, he 'came to know the Lord' and so did his ex-wife. They got back together and had two more kids. He started evangelizing at skate parks (see the Wikipedia article for that whole story). Jeremy said he had a similar trajectory with his life and soccer. He says God took his passion for soccer and channeled it to ministry. He was consumed with soccer and wasn't living a life that honored Christ. He was partying and drinking. When he was arrested, that was his turning point. He and Brian hit it off and will keep hanging out.

5 days before her due date, Kendra starts having contractions. It's 9:30PM, so they're packing up and Garrett will spend the night at Kendra's parents' (Mimi & Poppy) house. Joe gives him a bath before they leave. The contractions aren't very consistent, so they're not sure if she'll have the baby that night. She's thinks she's definitely in labor, but not transition (the final phase of the first stage of labor). They arrive at the Caldwell home. Christina (her mom) and Lauren (her sister) will be going to the hospital with her. He contractions have slowed down again, which frustrates her since it's so inconsistent. Joe and Kendra pray with Garrett before putting him to bed. After a few hours, the contractions pick up again and they leave for the hospital around 1AM. Kendra hopes she isn't sent home from the hospital, because she doesn't want to have to interrupt anyone's sleep unnecessarily.

She's admitted, but is only 4cm dilated. This is discouraging to her, since that's what she was measured at at her last doctor's appointment. They walk about 3-4 miles through the halls of the hospital. Her contractions become more painful, so she went back to her room. Her water breaks while she was laying down, which confused her. Her mom arrives and helps her with her breathing. The contractions keep picking up and are soon back-to-back. She becomes nauseous and throws up. She's in transition now and we basically just watch her screaming in pain. They worry about her passing out, same as with Garrett's birth. Her eyes tend to lose focus and start to roll back when the pain is really bad. 

The doctor is actually delivering at another hospital and Kendra doesn't think she can wait. Eventually they decide to deliver with the nurses. Addison Renee is born at 5:33AM, 7lb 12.5oz, 20.5 inches. She was a lot bigger than they had though. Addison means 'in God's image' and Renee means 'born again.' The family comes up to meet her. She's the 14th Duggar grandchild. Michelle says she's precious (shocker). Garrett meets his little sister and Kendra hopes he doesn't get too jealous.

Next week: Lauren gives birth to Bella. Jinger announces she's pregnant via video chat during family fun night (I'm guessing the miscarriage will also be discussed, since it happened shortly after).

To the bolded: that made me chuckle. Addison would be the first baby to say: „oh wait. My doctor isn’t here yet? Ahhh let’s take a break and wait. I‘ll just come out later. Toodles.“

Baby comes when Baby comes (if you don’t intervene). It’s ridiculous to even ask a mother if she can maybe just wait. What is she supposed to do? Sucking it back in?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Baby comes when Baby comes (if you don’t intervene). It’s ridiculous to even ask a mother if she can maybe just wait. What is she supposed to do? Sucking it back in?

Happened to my mother when she was having me back in the early '60's.  

Long, drawn out story to follow.  Don't bother unless you're interested in how things used to be done back then.

Spoiler

It turned out that several women went into labor the same night Mom arrived.  She was honest and told the staff that she didn't really feel in labor, but something was off and she wanted to be admitted.  After a quick check to see that she was fine, as far as they could tell the baby was fine, they put her in a large walk-in laundry closet (all the delivery rooms were being used) with a nurse and student nurse.  After a couple of hours, the nurse left.  She told told the student nurse to call out if she needed anything.

Not too long after, my mom said "The baby's coming!"  Student nurse looked under the sheet and saw I was crowning, so she ran to the door and called out for help.  A nurse ran in, and I don't know if it was the original nurse or a different one, but she took one look and told my mom that she couldn't have the baby now.  It was a Catholic hospital and a doctor had to do the delivery and a nun had to attend each birth.  They were all busy.  Mom had had a couple of other kids before and her body wasn't going to wait.  My head inched out a little further.  

The nurse told the student nurse to go for help and panicked.  She jammed her finger into my head and tried to shove me back inside.  My mom's screams brought plenty of help and I was soon delivered safely.  The doctor who arrived to 'catch' me was pretty upset, as he'd delivered the child before me and was just waiting around for the placenta which was easily delivered by the junior doctor (intern?) who had attended several deliveries in the past and knew what he was doing.  The doctor was angry that he wasn't called sooner.

My father was either waiting at the hospital or in a nearby bar, he was an unreliable storyteller depending on his mood or how much he was drinking when retelling the story.  He said that when he was brought to my mother, he passed the doctor berating the nurse who tried to shove me back inside. 

When I asked my mom about it later, she said that she wasn't in an actual linen closet, but more like a room that wasn't used for patients and along a couple of the walls there were shelves that held linens.  Call it a room that could hold overflow patients that weren't expected to be there long, and otherwise was used for storing linens and whatever.  

Mom knew that the doctor was upset at how things went down, but she didn't hear anyone yelling at anyone, and somewhere along the line a nun showed up.  She was just glad that we were all right.  She said that Dad liked to exaggerate to make his stories more dramatic, whereas she prefers to downplay things.  I guess the truth is in the middle.  After the delivery, no one, even my father was allowed to visit.  The reason given was that Mom needed to rest as much as possible, since she was going home to two other small children.  Mom and Dad accepted it because these were the professionals telling them this stuff, and the professionals obviously knew best.

Breast feeding was discouraged at that time.  Instead, when Mom saw me next, it was several hours later and I'd already been given a bottle of formula.  I was brought to her when I was awake for feedings, with a bottle prepared and a nurse present, and I was fully clothed with a knitted hat on my head.  After giving me the bottle, Mom was told to rest while I was taken back to the nursery.  She never changed a diaper, bathed me, dressed me, or had alone time with me.  After four or five days, Dad was called and told to pick Mom up at a certain time and she was wheeled out to the car while a nurse carried me to the car.  No car seats needed at that time.

When they got home, Mom removed my cap and they found the wound on my head.  Between them, they realized what caused it, but they reasoned that if they complained, the hospital would say that the wound happened at home and they feared that they'd be accused of child abuse.

Dad said that at one point someone told him that the nurse who tried to push me back inside my mom wasn't a maternity nurse, but was brought on board for the night to handle the task of watching Mom.  No one expected Mom to actually deliver right away, anyone with a degree could stay with her.  He said that only nurses who worked the maternity ward were required to keep their fingernails short.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 5

On 8/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, llg1234 said:

JB says he had a stutter in 1st grade and had to take speech classes (NO ONE CARES). 

No one cares, but kudos to Grandma Mary for taking him to a speech therapist...50 or so years ago.

Edited by moreorlessnu
The hidden comments looked wonky.
  • Upvote 14

45 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

No one cares, but kudos to Grandma Mary for taking him to a speech therapist...50 or so years ago.

Didn’t Jim Bob go to public school? If so, the speech classes were probably during the school day and recommended by his teacher. That’s how he made it sound at least. I did something similar (although not for stuttering) while I was in school. 

• Upvote 11

On 8/6/2020 at 10:18 PM, Vivi_music said:

I wonder if they are like conch. I had conch in the Bahamas and looooved it. But I decided I didn’t want to know what it looked like outside of fritter it chowder form

• Upvote 1

We took Grand Wolf 1 to Paris and had him try escargot and crepes. He preferred the escargots.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Meggo said:

I wonder if they are like conch. I had conch in the Bahamas and looooved it. But I decided I didn’t want to know what it looked like outside of fritter it chowder form

I've had both.  Conch has a different texture.  I don't like escargot but I do like conch.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Didn’t Jim Bob go to public school? If so, the speech classes were probably during the school day and recommended by his teacher. That’s how he made it sound at least. I did something similar (although not for stuttering) while I was in school. 

In the video clip, I thought he said his mother saw to it that he received speech therapy. That's why I was giving Grandma Mary props. I was thinking if Grandma Mary could provide for Jim Bob 50 some years ago, there is no excuse for Tom Mills to ignore his children who may need to be evaluated for speech issues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:15 AM, just_ordinary said:

To the bolded: that made me chuckle. Addison would be the first baby to say: „oh wait. My doctor isn’t here yet? Ahhh let’s take a break and wait. I‘ll just come out later. Toodles.“

A woman on my mommy board years ago, delivered by herself. She was having her 2nd and was she said like 5/6 centimetres, so her husband went to go grab some lunch, stretch his legs (they'd been there all night being induced) she just gotten her epidural so was going to try to take a nap, she said she woke up about 30 minutes later to the most insane pressure, she hit her call light, then heard a pop & then heard a cry, her water broke and the baby came out with it, she says she must have pushed but doesn't remember, because it all happened so fast. she picked up the baby, cord still attached & put her in her gown on her chest, pushed the call light several times and waited. She said the nurse came on asking what she needed, she was delivering another baby, she said "I had the baby" the nurse yelled something and soon 2 strange nurses came running in the room and delivered the placenta and took the baby to monitor her. She was perfectly fine, she had a bruise on her head and the doctor said it was from delivering so quickly.  Her husband joked they should get $$ of the delivery since she did all the work.  

A friend of mine had super fast deliveries, he water would break 2 pushes and she'd have the baby, she labored for 3 hours with her 1st they induced her on her due date with #2 all they did was break her water & the baby was born 45 minutes later.  I  was always jealous of those easy fast delivers I was NOT that lucky.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Ever said:

Did anyone see this? 

Didn’t mean to make it a spoiler and now I can’t figure out how to remove it lol 

If that’s an official account it’s got me curious.

Another’s note worthy account. Only slightly more colourful than the Jinjer’s... fell down a majorie Jackson hole while looking... didn’t she (seem) to dodge a bullet. Her account is a shiny snore worthy account.... I did find it a little too interesting only for the dodged a duggerness of it.  

• Upvote 1

I honestly can't tell if that's a real account or not. She's following a bunch of Duggar accounts and other people she obviously knows in real life, but she's not following or being followed by either her parents or by Joe and Kendra. Maybe they're just slow on responding to requests, but it could also be a red flag.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic