IGNORED

M is for Mama 6: M is for Mama 6: Temper Tantrum over Twins Twice

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

This made me laugh. We named our house with irony being the full intension. We kept calling this our 'terminal house' meaning we would die here. That, plus it's at the end of the road, and we came of age in the 60s/70s, so our house is named The Bitter End. As a joke, it's not as though we have a sign or anything, although . . .

The irony, I love it.

Our house is part of the original city center grid where the houses range from the late 1800's to the 1940's. Many of the larger houses have names on little wooden plaques and it doesn't seem strange in the least. When we first moved here, I was completely charmed by the little signs and was tempted to name our house but gave up the idea because it felt forced and pretentious. It would've felt different if the house came with a name.

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 4

There’s a cartoon called “The Loud House.”

I feel like that would be a perfect name for our house. My kids are currently chasing each other and screaming. Which is completely normal for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

agree! I need to know more about the Opus Dei style of fundie. No matter the fundie flavor, the similarities are striking: homeschooling, no outside influences, shunning others not of their ilk, total parental control (even for adult kids), extreme room-sharing (I'm talking about 5-6 kids across age ranges in a small space), the "only I have a pipeline to God" attitude, etc

Homeschooling is only a thing in the Opis Dei US brand. Opus Dei has many schools: education is one of their business and, especially, one of their most important brainwashing centers. Also, in Spain, those schools are open to no-Opus Dei families, as long as they are more or less Catholic. These are the only schools in the country that segregate boys and girls, so they are appealing for far-right people, even for atheists ones (yes, they exist!). That's why those schools are full... But the good news is that some of these schools they are receiving less and less students each year! 

I know a lot about Opus. Ask me if you want.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

14 hours ago, katilac said:

I'm American but don't get the starter home thing. Moving is so much work, lol. To add to the crazy, a fair number of people buy a starter home, move to a bigger one when they have kids, then downsize to a smaller one when the kids move out. 

I'm kind of the opposite.  I don't get the "this is going to be our forever home!" thing.  I just get restless staying in the same place forever.  I'm sure it is partially because we were in the military for 22 years, but I've never felt the need to put down permanent roots in a particular house.  ZeebaHubby retired from the military 12 years ago; this is the longest we have lived in any one house and I am DYING to move.

For those who say it is such a hassle to move, it isn't if you do it every 3 or 4 years.  You don't have a lifetime's worth of crap to sort through; just the stuff you have accumulated since your last move.  We aren't moving any time soon (?), but I an determined to sort through everything this year as if we were.

• Upvote 5

Oh  (blush, giggle) .. I'm so honored. I'd like to thank the members of FJ, my fans ...

Let me see -- Thread summary, truthfully I don't know how -- but here's a brief synopsis of Kendra (Tierney):

Uber privileged, uber fundie, Opus Dei, Catholic-er than thou, Mother of 10 (and counting) living in an estate in LA. Obviously the rest of us are doing Catholic all wrong and Kendra is here to show us just how wrong we all are.

Thread title suggestions:

Catholic All Year - Kendra says you're doing Catholic wrong

Catholic All Year - Doing it the Kendra way 

Catholic All Year - Living Liturgically Like Kendra 

Catholic All Year - 4 Bedrooms, 10 kids, and a private chapel

Catholic All Year - Gramblewood is Kendra's Catholic Kingdom

• Upvote 11

29 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

I'm kind of the opposite.  I don't get the "this is going to be our forever home!" thing.  I just get restless staying in the same place forever.  I'm sure it is partially because we were in the military for 22 years, but I've never felt the need to put down permanent roots in a particular house.  ZeebaHubby retired from the military 12 years ago; this is the longest we have lived in any one house and I am DYING to move.

For those who say it is such a hassle to move, it isn't if you do it every 3 or 4 years.  You don't have a lifetime's worth of crap to sort through; just the stuff you have accumulated since your last move.  We aren't moving any time soon (?), but I an determined to sort through everything this year as if we were.

I think it’s just a personality thing. Between 2000 and 2010, I moved more times than I could count. I didn’t have much stuff. Yet I hated moving. It is just a huge hassle to me. I love that we’ve lived in the same house for the past decade. I have much more stuff now because I added two kids! God do they have so much stuff. But I have gotten rid of a ton of my own stuff over the years to make room for their stuff. If we had to move for some reason, we would have a gigantic toy purge! Our toy room currently looks like a tornado hit it...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

We used to get Opus Dei leaflets in our mail. They were specifically adressed to us and my father had to actually physically write them a letter to make them stop sending that crap. I was still a kid then, but liked to read them for the absurdity, because their suggestions of how you should lead your life were so interestingly different from my own. Two things that I can still remember being mentioned were that parents should use corporal punishment on their kids (children in Germany have the right to be raised violence-free, but only since the year 2000; might have been a year or two before that) and should also deny their children things that are necessary to their well-being, so they would experience a fraction of Christ's suffering. The example being given for this was to withhold a glass of water from a thirsty child for an hour or so. Just WTF. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 15

6 hours ago, The butcher's wife said:

We used to get Opus Dei leaflets in our mail. They were specifically adressed to us and my father had to actually physically write them a letter to make them stop sending that crap. I was still a kid then, but liked to read them for the absurdity, because their suggestions of how you should lead your life were so interestingly different from my own. Two things that I can still remember being mentioned were that parents should use corporal punishment on their kids (children in Germany have the right to be raised violence-free, but only since the year 2000; might have been a year or two before that) and should also deny their children things that are necessary to their well-being, so they would experience a fraction of Christ's suffering. The example being given for this was to withhold a glass of water from a thirsty child for an hour or so. Just WTF. 

What the fuck?! Kids have to wait all the time. It isn’t necessary to make them dehydrated! Waiting is a part of life and a part of every child’s life. I make my kids wait for something multiple times a day. Like watching tv or playing a game. Not water! 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • I Agree 12

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What the fuck?! Kids have to wait all the time. It isn’t necessary to make them dehydrated! Waiting is a part of life and a part of every child’s life. I make my kids wait for something multiple times a day. Like watching tv or playing a game. Not water! 

When the tribe was small, that was the one thing I'd drop everything for...something to drink. There were some of the Opus Dei loonies in the parish I was a part of when I lived in Indiana...I flirted with it for awhile but just didn't have the ability to turn my brain off enough to go along with them. Most of the parish was what I'd call "fundy Catholic". 

• Upvote 3

My in-laws bought a largely-unupdated house from 1902 way back when that the neighborhood called "The Folly." The house has since been moderately updated but now that my in-laws are trying to downsize and sell it, its known as "The Folly" again. ? It's a really beautiful house, but lots of people aren't buying these big old houses anymore, especially if they're not completely up-to-date (and maybe a bit drafty!)

• Upvote 4

On 5/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Why yes, yes she does.  Her children, prior to COVID, have been confirmed (also First Communion I believe) in Rome.

There is a Kendra snark site on GOMI -- "Catholic All Year", which is (her brand/blog/FB/ everything. Her brand as an uber fundie Opus Dei Catholic is that the Tierneys live liturgically  -- i.e., celebrate Every. Single. Saint Day/Feast Day,  with appropriate food (it looks awful) and some type of special event.

Check out a Catholic Feast Day calendar and you'll see how many there are. Note however, that even devout Catholics aren't required to observe Every. Single. Feast Day. She's as publicly ostentatiously religious as Braggie is.

Uber fundie Opus Dei means traditional Latin mass, women veil in Church and then there are the "special" practices within Opus Dei (often considered a cult).  Research cilice.

Kendra grew up a non-fundie cradle Catholic from a family of 2 children. She went all uber fundie Opus Dei when she married.  She got pregnant on her honeymoon and had her first about 9 months and 1 week after the wedding.

Her excuse for not using NFP or any other Church-sanctioned method is that it's just too much trouble to track things and have to refrain from jumping her hot hubby's sexy bones whenever the mood strikes. So she doesn't ... refrain that is.

She refers to one of her children as Cranky Frankie because (she says) he is always getting into something.  It's obvious he's not her favorite child.  Like Braggie, all of Kendra's children have perfectly normal names, but Kendra has given all of them cool hip nicknames -- like Midge or Gus. 

Kendra and Braggie are similar is sooooo many ways.  I severely believe Kendra needs her own thread on FJ

OMG! Just took a little dive into Kendra! My takeaway: all of my friends are bad Catholics!

(jk, they're normal)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Did anyone else catch that Abbie and her husband were back to eating in restaurants for date night AS SOON AS they reopened in Texas? She's now eaten out at least twice in the past week and went to a salon for a mani/pedi. She says she's following all the currently state mandated guidelines, etc., but she is pregnant with twins with 8 children at home. I wouldn't leave my house if I were her. But....Jesus will protect her, I guess. 

• Upvote 18

For those interested in Kendra -- Her youngest son, George, had meningitis in the Fall, he was in the hospital/ rehab for a long while before being able to come home. I believe he is still recovering in a small way. Kendra documented this entire ordeal on FB, with copious pictures, videos and posts -- from her son's hospital room -- while he was deathly ill.  When asked after he returned home what she had learned from the experience -- she said "nothing"

And now there is her blog post on why Catholic churches need to re-open NOW!!  (Backstory,  Pope Francis and Bishops/Archbishops across the world have closed parishes and given Catholics dispensation to attend Mass virtually.) 

I thought her comment that she learned nothing from George's illness was the epitome of Kendra's narcissism, but that's nothing compared to her stance on opening up Mass again.

Because, ya know, she's not afraid to die for her faith, and she doesn't care if that stance causes you to die for yours because…. well... because....

Because … she's Kendra. The Catholic-er than thou, most perfect Catholic that ever Catholic-ed, living liturgically all year (the rest of you are doing it all wrong).   She wants her Eucharist and she wants it NOW and she doesn't care if you get sick and die because of it. 

Soooooo -- if you're a "good" Catholic like her you'll write your Bishop and tell him to stop being a fraidy scaredy cat and open the Churches now. (There are 100s and 100s of comments on her FB about the blog post -- running about 50-50 pro and con.

Oh…… and she's taking all 10 of her children to Mass with her as soon as the churches open again.  I wonder if she'll take her Stage 4 Melanoma, compromised immune system, underlying condition husband with her? (This is common knowledge she blogs/FBs about frequently, It's his 2nd bout in 10-12(?) years)

I just cannot with her selfish, self-centered, privileged, me, me, me it's all about me self.  Gosh, I seem to have said the same thing about Braggie a time or two

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 7
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 6
  • WTF 1

12 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

For those interested in Kendra -- Her youngest son, George, had meningitis in the Fall, he was in the hospital/ rehab for a long while before being able to come home. I believe he is still recovering in a small way. Kendra documented this entire ordeal on FB, with copious pictures, videos and posts -- from her son's hospital room -- while he was deathly ill.  When asked after he returned home what she had learned from the experience -- she said "nothing"

And now there is her blog post on why Catholic churches need to re-open NOW!!  (Backstory,  Pope Francis and Bishops/Archbishops across the world have closed parishes and given Catholics dispensation to attend Mass virtually.) 

I thought her comment that she learned nothing from George's illness was the epitome of Kendra's narcissism, but that's nothing compared to her stance on opening up Mass again.

Because, ya know, she's not afraid to die for her faith, and she doesn't care if that stance causes you to die for yours because…. well... because....

Because … she's Kendra. The Catholic-er than thou, most perfect Catholic that ever Catholic-ed, living liturgically all year (the rest of you are doing it all wrong).   She wants her Eucharist and she wants it NOW and she doesn't care if you get sick and die because of it. 

Soooooo -- if you're a "good" Catholic like her you'll write your Bishop and tell him to stop being a fraidy scaredy cat and open the Churches now. (There are 100s and 100s of comments on her FB about the blog post -- running about 50-50 pro and con.

Oh…… and she's taking all 10 of her children to Mass with her as soon as the churches open again.  I wonder if she'll take her Stage 4 Melanoma, compromised immune system, underlying condition husband with her? (This is common knowledge she blogs/FBs about frequently, It's his 2nd bout in 10-12(?) years)

I just cannot with her selfish, self-centered, privileged, me, me, me it's all about me self.  Gosh, I seem to have said the same thing about Braggie a time or two

I just don't know what to say to this. That poor child with meningitis.

What happens if the husband, god forbids, can't work, can she afford to keep the ten children going in that way, the whole situation sounds awful.

• Upvote 7

The obsessive way that Kendra lives the “liturgical year” is a hell of a lot more Pagan than Catholic. My dad was a pre-Vatican II Catholic priest (he was released from his vows) and even HE wasn’t THAT Catholic. Kendra is unhealthily obsessed.
I mean, that’s really obvious, but I felt I had to say it as someone who was raised Catholic AF. Kendra, even the POPE thinks you’re doing it wrong. Love how the pope was “OMG VICAR OF CHRIST” when it was Benedict but we can all feel free to second guess Francis because he’s more liberal.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

10 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Oh…… and she's taking all 10 of her children to Mass with her as soon as the churches open again. 

She has a consecrated home chapel ffs - bring in a damn Priest and stay the hell home. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

She has a consecrated home chapel ffs - bring in a damn Priest and stay the hell home. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Obviously these fundies have to be “seen” at church to feel validated. Kendra seems just as narcissistic as Braggie. It won’t do for amazing mothers of many to sit at home and NOT be admired! It’s not enough to have your leg constantly humped on social media day in and day out! You must be told to your face how practically perfect you are!

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 5/8/2020 at 4:00 PM, danvillebelle said:

I was perusing her blog and I think I figured out (for me anyway) why she looks so harsh - it's a combination of her dark, exaggerated brows and the instagram filter she uses (and the crazy hair doesn't help).

The difference between these two photos is striking to me (I realize there's a large age difference, but it's more than that).  

abbie not harsh.jpg

abbie harsh.jpg

My BEC moment for today, but DAMN - that hair looks nasty. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

14 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Because, ya know, she's not afraid to die for her faith, and she doesn't care if that stance causes you to die for yours because…. well... because...

Opus Dei fundies embrace Death. Celebrate Death. Because you are going with God. 

I'm sure many Opus Dei people are utterly sad when a relative dies, but the most extreme of them are happy and force their kids to be happy, too. Because death is good news. 

Which is absurd because they own hospitals, and have a lot of doctors in their organisation, and use all the medecines, treatments and surgeries. I mean, in no way they deny treatments. They are pro-vaccination, pro-hospital births, pro-chemo, etc. 

But if the treatments don't work: it's God calling. If there's a mortal accident: God calling. Let's celebrate!

Again: not all Opus people are that extreme. But celebrate death is the desirable feeling in that organisation.

• WTF 4
  • Thank You 3

On 5/9/2020 at 7:53 AM, The butcher's wife said:

Two things that I can still remember being mentioned were that parents should use corporal punishment on their kids (children in Germany have the right to be raised violence-free, but only since the year 2000; might have been a year or two before that) and should also deny their children things that are necessary to their well-being, so they would experience a fraction of Christ's suffering. The example being given for this was to withhold a glass of water from a thirsty child

I think they are silent about hitting kids, because it goes against the law in many European countries. I have never heard them reccomending that. But they still talk about keeping kids thirsty! And walking on the sunny side of the street on summer! They say it makes kids stronger. Bullshit! 

The good side of it is that most parents think there are bad ideas. Pediatrician advice is to offer kids water often and of course, protect kids from the heat/sunburn! So with their weird parental advice, ordinary people run away!

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Obviously these fundies have to be “seen” at church to feel validated. Kendra seems just as narcissistic as Braggie. It won’t do for amazing mothers of many to sit at home and NOT be admired! It’s not enough to have your leg constantly humped on social media day in and day out! You must be told to your face how practically perfect you are!

How are you going to know how modest you are if no one tells you?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

How are you going to know how modest you are if no one tells you?

That “look at me modesty” is their favorite kind of modesty ;)

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, bea said:

Love how the pope was “OMG VICAR OF CHRIST” when it was Benedict but we can all feel free to second guess Francis because he’s more liberal.

Kendra does not like Pope Francis at all. At. All.  She's said so. She has openly blogged about longing for the hard line, no social justice allowed Pope Benedict.  Like a girl longing for an old beau -- she wants him back. Last time I checked Benedict voluntarily retired.

Kendra has more than once urged her fangirls to write to Pope Francis and tell him they disagree with X that he did or said. Essentially write to the Pope and tell him he's wrong.  Kendra said she does it and urges her like-minded leghumpers to do the same.

This latest letter writing campaign to the Bishops/Archbishops to stop being fraidy scared- cats is more of the same.  Sure ... go ahead and write your Bishop, who you're supposed to trust as your spiritual leader, and tell him he's wrong wrong wrong and a big ol" wussy. Kendra the best Catholic EVAH! says it's A-OK so it must be.

The nerve. The colossal narcisstic nerve.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Man the torsional loading on the veins in her right leg is extreme. She needs to stop getting pregnant. Dollars to donuts when her baby making days have passed (maybe her uterus will prolapse in protest), she’ll get the veins striped. It looks painful!

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

But if the treatments don't work: it's God calling. If there's a mortal accident: God calling. Let's celebrate!

That's fine, imo. It's consistent with a belief in an afterlife and lots of religious folks have the same attitude. I've seen plenty of memorial cards or programs with the title "Jane Smith: A Celebration of Life!" and it's very common in my part of the south to have a repast immediately after the funeral that features lots of talking, laughing, telling stories, and drinking. It's not peculiar to Opus Dei or fundamentalism in general. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic