IGNORED

House of Representatives 2: Nancy is in Charge

GreyhoundFan

On 3/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, fraurosena said:

Wow, that was some Freudian slip there from Matt.

"I don't think the American would prevail."
(emphasis mine)

In other words, he's aligning himself with Putin, not Americans. Which begs the question: What the heck is he doing in Congress then, if he's not representing Americans?

Why are people still calling the things GOP members like Gaetz say stupid? Why don‘t they call it dangerous and a threat to our democracy? I‘m fed up with the line that a lot of them don‘t know what they‘re saying.

• I Agree 10

I love Ted:

image.png.8a805450430df66770a8949ad41a49c9.png

• Upvote 14

image.png.0b98f23fccfea87dbab9393f3619df62.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Matt Gaetz is speaking tonight at the Save America Summit that the Women for America First are hosting.

image.png.a1403f555575ce2c4c6740a91b4b7a9b.png

Look who they got for Saturday night:

Spoiler

image.png.c527844baecb77e3791b4fd713156fed.png

:cray-cray:

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 3

Dinner and drinks with Matt Gaetz BBQ, Booty calls and Bluegrass

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Matt Gaetz is speaking tonight at the Save America Summit that the Women for America First are hosting.

image.png.a1403f555575ce2c4c6740a91b4b7a9b.png

Look who they got for Saturday night:

Hide contents

image.png.c527844baecb77e3791b4fd713156fed.png

:cray-cray:

O

I give up. It is time for bifocals. I read it as BBQ, Boobs, and Bluegrass.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Shenanigans will ensue if you inadvertently grill up some breast implants and try to serve those to your guests.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Haha 9

IT WAS AWESOME AND FABULOUS!  And the best part?  Gym Jordan actually did shut his loud obnoxious damn mouth!  

Go, Maxine Waters! 

• Upvote 5

They truly are disgusting:

image.png.49a38f814c387cedf848b7dd78c1a8d4.png

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 3

More "highlights" under the spoiler:

Spoiler

image.png.79b8dc58626867f8e026cb8ea47b9e1c.png

The "Election Fraud" section:

Spoiler

image.png.faf85763ebde2dca39ecf2b496f42677.png

The entire document can be found  here.

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 7

On 4/9/2021 at 4:15 PM, Audrey2 said:

I have bifocals and read it as BBQ, Booty and Bluegrass as I scrolled by. 

The America First Caucus -- Twitter is tearing up "Anglo-Saxon"  -- who they were, where they came from and what they did when they got to where they were invading. 

I think the America First Caucus was just going for Anglo but decided that it was too blatant, even for them. 

I live in Texas and the term Anglo is often used to connote white, as in non-Hispanic.  Oxford Language Dictionary Online offers this:  a white, English-speaking American as distinct from a Hispanic American.

But however you parse it, it's the Racist White Caucus. 

I'll add something that I came across on twitter today, and that was a black Tweep noting that media tend to position Lauren Boebert as an extreme outlier, when in fact SHE WAS ELECTED  to her current position, is supported by her home district AND her racist positions and beliefs and conspiracy wing-nuttery, as horrible and out there as they seem to us, are the beliefs of a staggering number of our fellow citizens. 

We ignore this at our peril. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 12

This is pure fascism nothing else. As @Howl said above the most horrifying thing is that there are actually a lot of people supporting this.

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Howl said:

I have bifocals and read it as BBQ, Booty and Bluegrass as I scrolled by. 

Hang on, isn't that what it said?!

This whole America First manifesto is sounding very familiar from the culture wars here. Also exhausting - does this seriously need to happen everywhere? Here it focuses on the re-examining of colonial history - apparently actually looking at things from more than one perspective is threatening to some people, and can only be countered by strongly emphasising "European" achievements and values (I get very cynical about this as "European" was a code term for Greek or Italian here when I was growing up, and now they're all about those "values"? Yeah, nah, why not just use the slur you were thinking, and specify that you want 1930s British Empire values, racial hierarchies and all?)

And as many have pointed out... the whole Anglo-Saxon thing is a mythology, constructed for many reasons and pretty foreign to most of us, including those with UK heritage.

Edited by Ozlsn
Boring crap
  • Upvote 8

The cowpoke is a real piece of work:

• Thank You 5

Normally I'm not a violent person, but I'd pay money to see Val kick the crap out of Gym. She could do it.

• I Agree 5

"Democratic leaders find a way to defuse conservatives’ House floor sabotage"

House Democratic leaders believe they've found a workaround to defuse weeks of delay tactics used by hard-line Republicans that have irked lawmakers in both parties and brought much of the chamber's floor action to a halt. At least temporarily.

The conservative firebrands have sought to make life difficult for Democrats in protest against what they say are efforts to shut out the minority party. But their tactics have made it virtually impossible for Democrats and Republicans to fast-track so-called suspension bills — noncontroversial measures that are critical to running the House — and instead created a legislative slog.

Under the response shaped by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, leaders of the far-right Freedom Caucus would no longer be able to effectively seize control of the floor by demanding individual votes on dozens of suspension bills and forcing members to vote late into the night, at least for the rest of this week.

Instead, Hoyer plans to package much of that broadly palatable suspension legislation into a single block on the floor, which he said would “save us somewhere in the neighborhood of seven-and-a-half hours” of voting time.

“What we have seen in the past few weeks has been an unfortunate example of extreme partisanship getting in the way of even the most bipartisan legislation there is," Hoyer said in a statement, confirming POLITICO’s reporting on the planning.

In total, Hoyer said, the conservatives' tactics have cost at least 15 hours of votes on bills that otherwise could have been approved with little fanfare in a voice vote.

"There are Democrats and Republicans who want to get things done, and we will work around those who do not,” added House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern.

The Freedom Caucus has wrestled over how far to push its rebellion. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy stopped by the group’s weekly meeting on Monday evening, where he encouraged members to fine-tune their strategy and focus on achievable goals. McCarthy also warned Freedom Caucus members that they could face potential consequences from Democratic leaders if they keep disrupting the floor.

One of the ultimate goals driving the Freedom Caucus' floor tactics is getting controversial Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) back on her committees after a bipartisan vote to strip her of those assignments. But Democrats are ruling out that demand.

“I’ve been meeting with Steny and I went to the Freedom Caucus last night. We had a good discussion,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a brief interview. “They want to fight. They’re frustrated with everything that’s happening, and I get all that. But my point is: What’s the goal, what’s the strategy?”

The House's dispute over suspension bills appears obscure. But beyond the wonky details, it's emblematic of bigger partisan tensions that have dominated the first few months of this Congress as emotions run high following the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection.

Shortly after lawmakers were caught up in that day's violence, a handful of Democrats also sought to use suspension bills as a form of protest against Republicans who voted against certification of Donald Trump's loss to President Joe Biden. That effort proved short-lived after top Democrats stepped in and convinced the aspiring rebels that noncontroversial bills needed to easily clear their chamber.

Democrats’ strategy to vote on suspension bills “en bloc,” rather than individually on the floor, is set to be discussed in the House Rules Committee hearing later Tuesday afternoon.

Conservatives touted the Democratic move as further proof that Democrats are curbing their rights while the minority.

Freshman Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) tweeted a Wile E. Coyote gif in response.

The House Freedom Caucus also tweeted that Pelosi and House Democrats “are so frustrated” by their efforts, that they are working to considering making changes to ensure they can pass bills without members present to take a formal vote, while arguing that if they “choose to strip of us of our right to request votes, it will be yet another example of Democrats…undermining the rights of the minority party to expedite the passage of their partisan, far-Left agenda.”

• Thank You 6

11 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

From the article:  “I’ve been meeting with Steny and I went to the Freedom Caucus last night. We had a good discussion,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a brief interview. “They want to fight. They’re frustrated with everything that’s happening, and I get all that. But my point is: What’s the goal, what’s the strategy?”

The "goal," if you can call it that, is to frustrate Democrats any way they can, any time they can, simply because they can.  God forbid they actually work.  

Edited by Becky
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

More on Stefanik if you're not up on her:

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

16 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

More on Stefanik if you're not up on her:

Reveal hidden contents

I mostly remember her antics during Trump's first impeachment, where she showed herself to be in cahoots with the likes of Gym Jordan, Devin Nunes, Mark Meadows et al, so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic