IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 3: Locked Down

GreyhoundFan

No Fauchi at the presser and Trump is throwing tantrums at the press as usual.  This Giroir from Public Health is a total Trump sycophant.  

Trump needs to stop calling himself "Sir" before I have a stroke.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Wisconsin Primary is delayed

It’s back on again...

?

• WTF 10

I like Ardern's response: "Tooth fairy and Easter Bunny are ‘essential workers,’ New Zealand’s Jacinda Ardern confirms"

Spoiler

During a time of global crisis, climbing death tolls and widespread uncertainty, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been hailed globally for her compassionate handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

She continued to win hearts Monday when she clarified who exactly has made a list of “essential workers.”

“You’ll be pleased to know that we do consider both the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny to be essential workers,” she said, smiling. “But as you can imagine, at this time they’re going to be potentially quite busy at home with their family as well and their own bunnies.”

“I say to the children of New Zealand, if the Easter Bunny doesn’t make it to your household, we have to understand that it’s a bit difficult at the moment for the bunny to perhaps get everywhere,” she said.

Ardern then suggested households help create Easter egg hunts for children in neighborhoods by placing images of eggs in their windows. In recent weeks, many New Zealanders, Americans and Britons have been placing teddy bears in their windows to help create teddy bear hunts for children as they go for walks with their parents.

On March 25, Ardern announced a four-week nationwide lockdown, instructing all residents to remain at home unless they were undertaking “essential work,” such as health care, or carrying out important tasks, such as buying food or picking up medicine. Ardern acknowledged there are signs the stay-at-home order has worked, but she called out “idiots” for not complying. It is not yet known whether the strict lockdown measures will be lifted or extended.

When Ardern announced the lockdown, she said it imposed “the most significant restrictions on New Zealanders’ movements in modern history.”

New Zealand’s death toll is significantly lower than in the rest of the world, with just one confirmed death and 1,106 confirmed cases of the virus.

In recent days, the prime minister has been widely praised for remarks regarding countries considering herd immunity as a strategy amid the covid-19 outbreak.

“In New Zealand, we never ever considered that as a possibility, ever,” she said. “Herd immunity would have meant tens of thousands of New Zealanders dying, and I simply would not tolerate that.”

• Love 17

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Ikr?  Makes me wonder how stupid they think the public is.  He's in for "routine tests" which was the phrase I heard used.  Those don't land you in ICU.

Dang, "tests" don't even land people in the hospital in this century. That stopped being a thing a few decades ago.

• I Agree 5

We went through his same primary circus with Ohio, didn’t we?

• Upvote 3

Our local county government decided cause Kim Reynold (R-Fuck Nugget) hadn't issued a state order they would go ahead and issue their own.

Dubuque County leaders are considering taking more aggressive measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Monday, Governor Kim Reynolds did not issue a state-wide stay-at-home order. Now, Dubuque County Supervisors are exploring the possibility of a county-wide order.

The ordinance would enforce all Dubuque County residents to remain at home. Only essential employees and individuals running necessary tasks, such as grocery shopping, would be exempt.

Dubuque County Supervisor, Ann McDonough said the residents need to adhere to a clear message from their leaders.

I sent an email to them saying that we needed more details on what essential activities were.  And if they were going to use county residents as a proxy to get that idiot in Des Moines to do the right thing to go straight to hell (in politer terms of course).   That's a sore spot with me as we have larger cities in the county and the rural residents in the county seem to be taken for granted.  We seem to be a dumping ground for all the problems the cities don't want to deal with.  That was a long standing problem even before the current crisis. 

At any rate the chairperson wrote back to say that they had a legal opinion from the county attorney that they did not have the authority to do their own orders.  Which of course leaves said stay at home orders up to aforementioned fuck nugget.  Which she will totally fuck up when she gets around to ordering them.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Awww, the tangerine toddler is bored... 

Wanna bet he absolutely hates that everything is about the pandemic these days when he turns on the telly, so his favorite pastime is no fun anymore. And he isn’t even allowed to play outside with his golf sticks! Worst of all, he can’t hold his beloved rallies either. No more adoring crowds to salve his ego. And these stupid pressers are horrible! They’re making him do them every day; it’s beginning to feel like he has to actually work a lot, and the reporters keep badgering him with pesky difficult questions and pointing out his dubious statements. He’s been doing his best to satisfy his big pharma donors but it doesn’t seem to be working, which means no more money from them for his pockets— err campaign. Also, he put his foot down and had a big tantrum when Ivanka asked him to wear that stupid mask because it messes up his hair, so now she’s is social distancing from him and she’s never there to comfort him.

Nothing is any fun anymore. 

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Wanna bet he absolutely hates that everything is about the pandemic these days when he turns on the telly, so his favorite pastime is no fun anymore. And he isn’t even allowed to play outside with his golf sticks! Worst of all, he can’t hold his beloved rallies either. No more adoring crowds to salve his ego. And these stupid pressers are horrible! They’re making him do them every day; it’s beginning to feel like he has to actually work a lot, and the reporters keep badgering him with pesky difficult questions and pointing out his dubious statements. He’s been doing his best to satisfy his big pharma donors but it doesn’t seem to be working, which means no more money from them for his pockets— err campaign. Also, he put his foot down and had a big tantrum when Ivanka asked him to wear that stupid mask because it messes up his hair, so now she’s is social distancing from him and she’s never there to comfort him.

Is this the longest he has gone since being elected where he hasn't played golf? Or taken a mini-vacation to one of his resorts? He is almost certainly so incredible angry.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Is this the longest he has gone since being elected where he hasn't played golf? Or taken a mini-vacation to one of his resorts? He is almost certainly so incredible angry.

That and he hasn’t been able to hold any of his Nazi book burning campaign rallies of late.  He needs to be in a room full of people whose family trees do not fork to feel fulfilled and he’s not getting that now.  

• Upvote 11

"What you need to know from Monday’s White House coronavirus briefing"

The White House held its latest coronavirus task force briefing on Monday night.

Here’s what we learned, without all the noise.

1. Fauci downplays the idea of getting ‘back to normal’ pre-vaccine

Leading medical expert and task force member Anthony S. Fauci downplayed the idea of the country getting “back to normal” before we have a vaccine for the coronavirus, which medical professionals have said will take at least a year.

“If ‘back to normal’ means acting like there never was a coronavirus problem, I don’t think that’s going to happen until we do have a situation where you can completely protect the population,” Fauci said. “But when we say getting back to normal, we mean something very different from what we’re going through right now, because right now we are in a very intense mitigation. When we get back to normal, we will go back gradually to the point where we can function as a society.”

Fauci added: “But I believe, with the therapies that will be coming online, with the fact that I feel confident that over a period of time we will get a good vaccine, that we will never have to get back to where we are right now. So if that means getting back to normal, then we’ll get back to normal.”

2. Birx clarifies guidance about nonessential shopping

Another of the task force’s lead experts, Deborah Birx, clarified her comments this weekend, suggesting that people shouldn’t go grocery shopping unless it was “essential.”

Birx said that she meant that people should reduce the number of trips to the extent they can.

“We as Americans should be doing everything possible,” Birx said. “And what I meant was, if you can consolidate, if you can send one person, the entire family doesn’t need to go out on these occasions. This is a highly transmittable virus.”

She added: “Maybe once every two weeks, we can do a grocery store and pharmacy shop for the entire family. So it was really about we have to do everything we can.”

3. Trump resists nationwide stay-at-home order, but Fauci suggests some holdouts are close enough

There are still a handful of states that haven’t issued statewide stay-at-home orders, despite Fauci saying recently that he wanted this to take place nationwide.

President Trump suggested he might be persuaded to ask those state’s governors — all of them Republicans — to fall in line.

“If Dr. Fauci said that, I would be inclined to call them up,” Trump said.

But Trump cited constitutional issues with the federal government making such dictates — despite that not preventing him from merely asking — and doubted Fauci had actually said that. “I’m not sure 100 percent that Dr. Fauci said that,” Trump said.

In fact, Fauci said Friday when asked whether this should be nationwide policy, “I think so. … I don’t understand why that’s not happening.”

Fauci did say Monday, though, that some of the holdout states were doing something close to statewide stay-at-home orders.

“I had I had good conversations with the governor of Nebraska and the governor of Iowa here,” Fauci said. “And it’s interesting that functionally, even though they have not given a strict stay-at-home, what they are doing is really functionally equivalent to that.

“I want to make sure people understand that just because they don’t have a very strict stay-at-home order, they have in place a lot of things totally compatible with what everyone else is doing.”

4. The Comfort is now a coronavirus-treatment ship

Trump confirmed that one of two hospital ships dispatched during the coronavirus outbreak, the USNS Comfort in New York, will be used for coronavirus patients, rather than for other medical needs.

The ship was initially sent for those purposes as hospitals dealt with the coronavirus, but Trump said it will now shift purposes. New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) had announced this shortly before the briefing.

“He called me up a little while ago and asked whether or not it would be possible to use the ship, with respect to fighting the virus,” Trump said. “And we hadn’t had that in mind at all. But we’re going to let him do it. And we’re also going to let New Jersey Governor [Phil] Murphy — we spoke with him a little while ago, and New Jersey is going to use it also because New Jersey is a hot spot. So Governor Murphy and Governor Cuomo are going to be using the ship.”

Reports in recent days have indicated the ships had very few patients for their intended purposes.

5. Trump offers drug treatments for Boris Johnson

In the hours before the briefing, we learned that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to intensive care as he continues to struggle with the coronavirus.

Trump offered Johnson best wishes at the start of the briefing and proceeded to suggest that American drug companies are offering his doctors treatment options.

“I’ve asked them to contact London immediately,” Trump said. “They have offices in London — and major companies. … They’ve really advanced therapeutics and therapeutically and they have arrived in London already. Their London office has whatever they needed. We’ll see if we can be of help. We’ve contacted all of Boris’s doctors and we’ll see what is going to take place. But they are ready to go.”

6. Trump spoke with Joe Biden

After indicating in recent days that he would welcome a call with his likely 2020 opponent, Joe Biden, and then tweeting about him Monday, Trump said the two of them spoke.

“I also spoke just a few minutes ago with former vice president Biden, who called and we had a really wonderful, warm conversation. It was a very nice conversation,” Trump said. “We talked about pretty much this. This is what we talked about. This is what everyone’s talking about. This is what they want to talk about. And he gave me his point of view, and I fully understood that. And we just had a very friendly conversation, lasted probably 15 minutes.”

Trump added: “I appreciate his calling as we continue our efforts to develop treatments and cures this afternoon.”

Biden’s campaign said he had offered some ideas about how to confront the crisis, but Trump said, “We agreed that we weren’t going to talk about what we said, but we had a very, very good talk.”

• Thank You 6

I'm sure Twitler's family somehow profits from this terrible set up:

• WTF 9

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I would have so much more respect for the reporters if they only asked the difficult questions and when he berates them and refuses to answer ...the next called on would ask the exact same question and so on.  OAN will always be his safe space, but if everyone else would hold firm they could make him short circuit.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 16

Going to try to link to this article. Doing it on my phone, so apologies if the whole excercise goes to shit.  Article is an interview with Obama's Ebola Czar about the current situation.

https://www.wired.com/story/ebola-czar-ron-klain-federal-coronavirus-response/

Ugh. Had to type this in because I can't seem to copy an url to save my life. Now I think it won't click. Argh !

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Phone has ebola - Fixed link - Buffy
  • Upvote 5

Another corrupt R, what a surprise /sarcasm

• Upvote 11
  • Disgust 1

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot takes her personal hygiene seriously...who somehow thinks that has to do with the length of her hair.

She got a haircut.  This Mayor who admonished someone in a PSA 

"Getting your roots done is not essential.”

But you getting a hair cut is?

Asked about that, a visibly annoyed Lightfoot said, “I’m the public face of this city. I’m on national media and I’m out in the public eye.

Are you kidding me?  None of this woman's fame or political success is based on her looks.  None.  But ...

“I’m a person who, I take my personal hygiene very seriously. As I said, I felt like I needed to have a haircut,” Lightfoot said. “I’m not able to do that myself, so I got a haircut. You want to talk more about that?”

THIS is why I hate politicians.  She's completely fucking useless as a public servant. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-lori-lightfoot-haircut-20200406-jmyz2wtccnadlknya7hzbetevy-story.html

Pritzker said he hasn't had a trim and won't and will probably look like a hippy when this is over, which would be kind of hilarious.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

38 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot takes her personal hygiene seriously...who somehow thinks that has to do with the length of her hair.

She got a haircut.  This Mayor who admonished someone in a PSA 

But you getting a hair cut is?

Are you kidding me?  None of this woman's fame or political success is based on her looks.  None.  But ...

THIS is why I hate politicians.  She's completely fucking useless as a public servant. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-lori-lightfoot-haircut-20200406-jmyz2wtccnadlknya7hzbetevy-story.html

Pritzker said he hasn't had a trim and won't and will probably look like a hippy when this is over, which would be kind of hilarious.

I’m a Democrat but I have little use for a lot of Democratic officials in Illinois.  Including the governor and Chicago mayor. Too many Daley types over there. I’m waiting for Pritzler to pull a Megis field like stunt with our Mississippi River bridge in the middle of some night. 

There’s a valid reason why minorities might not want to wear masks. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now recommending that all Americans wear homemade face coverings in public to help stem the spread of coronavirus.

But Trevor Logan, an economics professor at Ohio State University, will not be following this guidance.

"We have a lot of examples of the presumed criminality of black men in general," Logan, who is black, told CNN. "And then we have the advice to go out in public in something that ... can certainly be read as being criminal or nefarious, particularly when applied to black men."

Logan is not alone in his concerns. On social media and in interviews with CNN, a number of people of color — activists, academics and ordinary Americans — expressed fears that homemade masks could exacerbate racial profiling and place blacks and Latinos in danger.

What I fear is that the Kluxers in elected office and law enforcement will use their new authority to oppress minorities even more than they do already. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

An excellent read from The Atlantic:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 11

14 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

An excellent read from The Atlantic:

If fuck face had even done a half assed job instead of being a total fuck up and all around piece of shit we'd be on the downward slope right now and starting to reopen now.  Fuck him and fuck every last fucking one of his supporters. 

Now where's my swear jar?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

Another good one from Rick Wilson:

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Now where's my swear jar?

I broke that fucker into a billion pieces.

Please swear as often and creatively as possible.

Thank you,

Cartmann99

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

About time! 

Acting Navy secretary offers to resign over handling of virus-stricken aircraft carrier

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly offered to resign on Tuesday following an uproar over a profanity-laced address to the crew of the coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt on Sunday, according to a senior defense official with knowledge of the matter.

Modly submitted his resignation letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Tuesday after meeting with his boss one-on-one, that official said. Neither Esper nor the White House pressured Modly to resign, the official said, and it is unclear whether Esper will accept it.

A spokesperson for the Pentagon did not return requests for comment.

Modly's offer caps an extraordinary 24 hours following the Monday morning leak of the acting Navy leader's address to the crew of the Roosevelt while the ship is tied up in Guam. Modly, who fired the ship's commanding officer Capt. Brett Crozier on Thursday, late Monday was forced to issue an apology to the crew after calling Crozier's decision to send a letter requesting assistance to a broad array of Navy personnel "naive" and "stupid."

Modly's remarks, which sailors recorded and leaked to the media on Monday, prompted more than a dozen members of Congress to call for Modly's resignation.

"I want to apologize to the Navy for my recent comments to the crew of the TR,” Modly said in a statement Monday night. “Let me be clear, I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naïve nor stupid. I think, and always believed him to be the opposite.”

The apology came just hours after Modly doubled down on his remarks, issuing a statement saying he stands by "every word."

The turmoil began after a virus outbreak forced the Roosevelt, which was deployed in the Pacific, to dock in Guam and begin quarantining sailors from the ship. Crozier sent the letter asking for help from Navy leadership on March 30, and Modly fired Crozier three days later over his decision to email the letter to several Navy personnel rather than using official secured channels.

In the letter, Crozier urged "decisive action" to remove the "majority of personnel" from the carrier.

“We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die," Crozier wrote. "If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our sailors.”

Upon firing Crozier last Thursday, Modly told reporters that the Navy was already surging people and resources to help the ship fight the outbreak. Modly had also offered to give Crozier his cell number so he could get the ship what it needs.

“I could reach no other conclusion that Capt. Crozier had allowed the complexity of his challenge with the Covid breakout on the ship to overwhelm his ability to act professionally when acting professionally was what was needed at the most at the time," Modly told reporters on Thursday. "We do and we should expect more from the commanding officers of our aircraft carriers."

Roughly 2,000 sailors have been moved ashore and are in isolation as the Navy tests the personnel aboard the ship. More than 150 sailors have tested positive for the coronavirus.

President Donald Trump signaled on Monday night that he didn't think Crozier's career should end over the letter asking for help from Navy leaders and describing the crew's condition in dire terms. Trump said he planned to "get involved" in the decision because "you have two good people and they're arguing."

On Crozier, Trump said that "the letter shouldn't have been sent," but added that "his career prior to that was very good."

• Thank You 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic