IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 3: Locked Down

GreyhoundFan

14 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

“He at times just says whatever comes to mind, or tweets, then someone on TV is saying the opposite,” Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said in a recent interview. “It’s critically important that the message is straightforward and fact-based for the public.”

I'm truly surprised this statement was made by a Republican.

• I Agree 3

People are speculating about Trump not coming down with coronavirus.   On twitter someone wondered if he could be receiving blood (plasma) transfusions from people who have had coronavirus and recovered -- their blood is full of CV 19 antibodies. 

Although this seems crazy, it was an approach utilized with some degree of effectiveness during the Ebola outbreak, and it is currently being utilized in some US hospitals

USA Today  The first US coronavirus patients are being treated with convalescent plasma therapy. Will it work? Not even the doctors know

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

It's about danged time.  

And did this factor in (State Capital - Jefferson City - is in Cole County)

Spoiler

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I got back on FB when this started and I have seen people every Sunday post about going to church in the parking lot. And all these people are parking in cars close together and rolling down their windows so they can hear the pastor.  :angry-banghead: It completely defeats the purpose closing churches. I did comment that the cars are parked too close together on one of these posts and then I got bunches of hateful replies from church members basically telling me I hate Jesus. Church people are going to keep spreading this if the members don't take is seriously. 

We recently had pictures on our newspaper’s Facebook page of a church service held in a parking lot and there was a man standing right next to a car offering communion. :shakehead:

Refusing to comply with simple measures to help prevent the spread of this virus is being a jackass, and even an agnostic like me can see that goes against John 13:34-35. In other words, if you want everybody to know that you and Jesus are good friends, then don’t be a jackass to other people.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Howl said:

People are speculating about Trump not coming down with coronavirus.   On twitter someone wondered if he could be receiving blood (plasma) transfusions from people who have had coronavirus and recovered -- their blood is full of CV 19 antibodies. 

Although this seems crazy, it was an approach utilized with some degree of effectiveness during the Ebola outbreak, and it is currently being utilized in some US hospitals

USA Today  The first US coronavirus patients are being treated with convalescent plasma therapy. Will it work? Not even the doctors know

The Erasmus MC in Rotterdam is also experimenting with plasma from recovered cases; however it is used to treat patients that already have the virus, not as a preventative.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I just noticed that dr. Birx is wearing a full length skirt. Looked up her background and she went to Houghton College, a Christian college and is a lifelong evangelical according to an interview on kff.org. Interesting.

Robert Redfield is said to prefer faith based approaches and believed AIDS was god’s judgement against homosexuals. We are so screwed.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 7

Finally, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey issues a stay-at-home order.  I guess she heard Alabama is one of the states that has done the least to combat this virus.

ETA:  There is an exception for attending religious services.  WTF??  That's how it's being spread you dumb bitch!

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Upvote 10

For those following the Capt. Crozier firing.  Crozier until last night was captain of the USS Roosevelt aircraft carrier who wrote a desperate four-page letter about the large number of sailors on his ship who were infected with CV 19, and distributed it to various people in the Navy.  It was leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle.  He was abruptly relieved of command.  

and now, heeeeeere's Jared

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8

51 minutes ago, Emma said:

I just noticed that dr. Birx is wearing a full length skirt. Looked up her background and she went to Houghton College, a Christian college and is a lifelong evangelical according to an interview on kff.org. Interesting.

Robert Redfield is said to prefer faith based approaches and believed AIDS was god’s judgement against homosexuals. We are so screwed.

For a second I thought you meant Robert Redford and thought when the fuck did he tip over into full on stupid....

24 minutes ago, Howl said:

For those following the Capt. Crozier firing.  Crozier until last night was captain of the USS Roosevelt aircraft carrier who wrote a desperate four-page letter about the large number of sailors on his ship who were infected with CV 19, and distributed it to various people in the Navy.  It was leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle.  He was abruptly relieved of command. 

I had my fucking way Crozier would be a four star Admiral tomorrow and the new CNO. 

Fuck Trump and his groupies for their dishonorable treatment of this man.

• Upvote 14

And Missouri officially has a state wide stay at home order.  It will run April 6 thru April 24.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

... if you want everybody to know that you and Jesus are good friends, then don’t be a jackass to other people.

AMEN.

• Upvote 7

When this is over we need a Constitutional amendment that undoes Citizens United, totally outlaws slavery of any type (no more imprisonment as punishment for crime exceptions), and specifically makes voter suppression and electoral fraud capital offenses.  And make some of the antics these Refucklicans are doing punishable by life imprisonment.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

Grrrrrr

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/3/florida-county-declares-churches-essential-service/

A Florida county has aided a pastor who held worship in defiance of “safer-at-home” rules by declaring religious services to be “essential services” during the coronavirus pandemic.

On Thursday, facing potential legal action, a 6-4 majority of the Hillsborough County Council voted to recognize “religious services” as part of a list of “essential activies” allowable during the pandemic-related shuttering of businesses and meetings of large groups.

A Tampa pastor was arrested this week under the county’s law banning religious gatherings, including church services.

“We are pleased that The River at Tampa Bay Church can meet,” said Mat Staver, founder and chairman of nonprofit law firm Liberty Council. “This church is essential to the community.”

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was arrested Monday after dozens of people packed into his church — violating a six-foot social distancing rule encouraged by the White House and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and mandated by Hillsborough County.

On Wednesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide order for residents to stay at home but allowed for places of worship to hold services.

• Angry 1
  • WTF 7

My dear @JMarie, church services ARE essential...essential to spreading the virus, that is.  WTF can these people be thinking?

• Upvote 8

I guess Twitler is upset because Fauci doesn't kneel down and kiss his...ring:

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 1

I'm hoping Twitler's actions during the COVID crisis will inspire more Rs to go against him.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, Howl said:

My dear @JMarie, church services ARE essential...essential to spreading the virus, that is.  WTF can these people be thinking?

Anderson Cooper had a story about a church in Ohio that is continuing to hold services, and the people interviewed believe their religious faith will keep them healthy.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/04/ohio-church-service-covid-19-pandemic-tuchman-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

• WTF 10

I cannot understand how churces aew considered essential stuff, here the churces are closed or at least there is no function. I already know you are different but if there is a shelter in place order, why people are still going out?! Haven't they saw what is the situation here? Or in Spain? Or in France? Gah this is unbelievable and severally unreaging 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

I had a meeting (online) with my pastor and the other evening service coordinator for my church yesterday. It’s actually pretty remarkable how much we can continue to replicate the main aspects of church via zoom (our church did fork out $ for a premium version to allow enough members to join the same meeting). We can screen share and audio share from someone’s computer to play pre-recorded YouTube videos of worship music with lyrics so everyone hears the same songs at the same time and can sing along at home (microphones muted) if they want. We can screen share a bible app while someone does the reading. The pastor can preach straight to video, and members of the congregation can unmute to ask questions (although fundie churches probably think asking questions is ungodly). Prayer can be led by as many or as few as is wanted. The only thing missing really is communion but we don’t do that every week anyway. These people who want to shrink God into a weak being who needs to be inside a building to reach anyone, need to re-think who they’re worshipping. Sounds like it’s the pastor to me.

• Upvote 13

Australia is up to 5,548 cases as of 3pm today, and 30 deaths. At present it's projected that if we continue as we are our cases will start peaking in late May-early June. We're all hoping the curve is flattening enough that we will have enough beds and equipment. Most of our cases are still linked to overseas travel, but the number of community transmission cases is slowly increasing. 

Based on how quiet everything is here the stay at home message is being observed by most people. The religious services I'm aware of are all streamed - I don't know of any still meeting in person. Given weddings are limited to 5, and funerals to 10, and groups of more than 2 non-family members are prohibited you'd need a family home church plus one to be legal.

• Upvote 5

fraurosena's daily update:

• 29 of 109 residents of a French nursing home in Mougins have died in just a few weeks time.
  • The Netherlands have 16.627 confirmed cases (including recovered cases); the death toll is up to 1651 in total. The number of hospitalised (including recovered) patients is now 6622.
    A majority of Dutch people expect the corona-measures such to stay in place for at least six months; the worst of the hoarding has receded, although toilet paper, rice, pasta and conserved goods are still popular.
    Almost a million approved face masks have been delivered from China; however the controversy about the previous delivery is still ongoing with the Chinese claim the masks weren't meant for medical use disproved by Dutch authorities, pointing out the masks had the Chinese medical code KN95, proving they actually were medical masks.
    The German Robert Koch Institute (their CDC) has declared the whole of the Netherlands as a risk-area.
  • Sad record of highest number of reported corona-deaths in a country for the US: 1480 deaths in one day.
  • British PM Boris Johnson has requested all opposition leaders to work with him in combatting the corona-crisis, which he has called the greatest threat to the UK in decennia.
  • A 50-year-old bus driver from Detroit who made a furious post on FB on March 21complaining about a female passenger who kept coughing in his vicinity on the bus without covering her mouth, has now died of the corona virus.
    In happier news, a 104 year old American WWII veteran has recovered from the virus, making him the survivor of two global pandemics, as he was two years old during the Spanish flu pandemic.
  • Ten people have died of the virus in Mexico in the past 24 hrs, bringing their total number of deaths up to 60. There are a 1688 confirmed cases in the country. President Obrador has announced the government is going to issue 250 billion pesos to combat the economic consequences of the corona-crisis.
  • St.Maarten (the Dutch part of St. Martin) has 4 corona-related deaths. 23 people have tested positive for the virus. The local government is preparing a lockdown.
  • Turkey has confiscated 150 ventilators that were on their way to Spain from China. The equipment had been ordered by the Spanish regions Castille-La Mancha and Navarra. During a stopover in Ankara in Turkey the equipment was confiscated; Turkey wants to use them for their own patients.
  • Surinam has reported their first corona-related death, the husband of their patient zero. The total number of confirmed cases is 10, three of which needed treatment in the ICU but have now recovered.
  • Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission has announced taxes and duties of imports of medical equipment have been waived for the time being.
  • What.the.fuck?? Parents in India have named their newborn twins Covid and Corona. The babies, a boy and a girl, were born during the lockdown. The mother says the names are symbolic for the ordeal she had to go through during the delivery. I'm sure her kids with be so thankful when they grow up... /s
    Mumbai has reported the first corona-related death in India, a 56 year old man died on the way to hospital a day after testing positive.

Personally:

I had a talk with son3 yesterday. He is worried about the exams he missed because of the quarantine. Although students have been assured they will be able to pass this school year without these exam points they will have to achieve them some time in the future. Son3 is worried that the exam will simply be crammed in between next years other exams, putting more pressure on the students than they already have. He particularly dislikes the fact that nobody knows as yet what the university is planning to do. Son3 does not do well with this type of pressure. He needs to know what to expect, so he can plan ahead. I'm glad he's venting though.

Contrary to my fears, my elderly parents are coping remarkably well with the corona-measures. As his default mode is usually being skeptical, I expected that my dad in particular would balk and claim all of it overblown and exaggerated. But both my parents are keeping to all the rules. They only go to the store once a week, and wear masks when they do. They're walking up and down the stairs by way of exercise instead of going for long walks as they used to. So I'm rather proud of them, and quite relieved too, as both of them are in at risk groups.

There are 22 hospitalised cases in my county; 7 where my parents live, and 17 where son1 and DIL live.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 14

6 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Anderson Cooper had a story about a church in Ohio that is continuing to hold services, and the people interviewed believe their religious faith will keep them healthy.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/04/ohio-church-service-covid-19-pandemic-tuchman-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

The church in that story is about 15 minutes from my house. (Aside: It is also the church of the large figure of Jesus in front, between the church and I-75). Gov. Dewine strongly urged them to stop meeting physically until this is over, but he stopped short of making that a mandate, I suppose fearing getting the state caught up in legal actions. I don't even know what to say. It greatly concerns me that the inevitable spread that is going to be caused might affect the entire area.

I saw Gary Tuchman's interactions with some of their churchgoers on CNN. If it weren't so tragic, I would pity many of them. It was absolutely clear to me that they have been programmed to parrot back what they have been taught, with no thinking involved. Incredibly sad. (And angering).

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 5

Thankfully my husband is not worse but he still has a sore throat and the daughter is well now so she gets to go to school on Monday unless something changes. Me and my son are still OK and not sick *knock on wood*. If things go as planned I will go in and work at work on Monday and go and get my picture taken for my passport. Normally I wouldn't do this at this time but as my passport soon expires and I don't have another valid legal identification I need to do it now. Boy do I wish I would not have been so lazy and done this in January as I planned but it is easy to see what should have been done afterwards. 

My region has now gone up to 100 cases and there have been some reports of covid-19 in nursing homes here too but still very limited problems compared to Stockholm. Unfortunately, there have been many cases in nursing homes there and this has taken up the death rate quite a bit. There are of course other people who are affected but as we all know, those that are old and sick are at very high risk compared to the rest. 

The big discussion now in Sweden is if the government should be given more power to decide without the support of the parliament but after heavy criticism the suggestion has been changed to the government being able to make decisions without asking the parliament first but they must then take the suggestions to the parliament for voting and if they disagree the government but change according to the vote. So far there has been pretty good union about what to do in this situation so I think whatever will be fine.

A big conflict between Sweden and France about masks have now been solved. France tried to keep the masks which were on their way to Sweden for use in their own country and while I of course understand that France like every other country needs protective gear wanted to use a law to take them. Sweden threatened to take them to court for this if they kept the masks and they are now allowed to be transported to Sweden. Four million new masks is a great thing for us but it does show how dire this situation is because it is clear that this also means four million less masks for France and I cannot say that their lives mean less than ours, they are all lives. The whole affair saddens me so much. 

I have planted peas in a pot in the window so that I can eat fresh pea shoots but also because I have an acute need to see something live and grow in a concrete way. They are just breaking through the earth in the pot today and I smile when I see them now. I think I will plant some more things actually and replant my flowers to help life forth in my own way. I am not a doctor or nurse but life is a power in itself as far as I see it. If we get to go to the cabin in summer I might be able to plant some herbs there if i plant them now. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, JMarie said:

I'm truly surprised this statement was made by a Republican.

Hogan is a moderate who has made a point of distancing himself from Trump since his election (politically necessary in Maryland which has large blue areas). Hogan has really shown his leadership chops and his preparation with this pandemic and so far has done more sooner than the Democratic VA governor or D.C. mayor. 

My dream is that Trump loses so dismally in November that the Republicans completely rebuild the party and its current platform to find a new winning strategy and start moving in the Larry Hogan direction. I don't think it will happen, but a self-isolated girl is allowed to dream. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

20 hours ago, Emma said:

Good catch.  Wonder if she is a member of Capitol Ministries, which was set up to minister to Trump's Cabinet secretaries.  And yes, WE. ARE. SO. SCREWED.   Look at who's involved: 

https://capmin.org/ministries/washington-dc/white-house-cabinet-sponsors/

It's funny to see Jeff Session on there.   It's important to remember that Trump holds a grudge forever and will never forgive Sessions, who, as AG for recused himself from all things Russia.  Trump is out for revenge and has found a way to draw some blood. 

Trump has endorsed Sessions' opponent in the primaries and  Trump's  campaign sent Sessions  a cease and desist letter telling him not to ever refer to Trump in Sessions' campaign materials. 

ABC:  Trump campaign calls Sessions 'delusional' in letter    Here's a snippet from the letter.  It's a raw "f**k you letter and pretty damned ugly.

The March 31 letter sent by Michael S. Glassner, chief operating officer of Donald J. Trump for President, accused Sessions of attempting to “misleadingly promote your connections to and ‘support’ of Trump,” in the campaign mailer that mentioned Trump’s name 22 times.

The letter even makes the delusional assertion that you are President ‘Trump’s #1 Supporter,’" Glassner wrote.

“We only assume your campaign is doing this to confuse President Trump’s loyal supporters in Alabama into believing the President supports your candidacy in the upcoming primary run-off election. Nothing could be further from the truth,” Glassner wrote.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic