IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 2: It's Not A Hoax

GreyhoundFan

I needed to make a grocery run this morning, to pick up the sugar and cinnamon that I forgot to get on Friday night, some cranberry juice, and some cat food. The grocery shelves were the emptiest I have ever seen at my local Super Walmart. I had to go to the WinCo nearby to pick up the sugar, as Walmart was out. I think we've hit the zombie apocalypse.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

"Landing at Dulles Airport, I encountered a case study in how to spread a pandemic"

Spoiler

Cheryl Benard is a former senior analyst with the RAND Corporation and has written about health systems in post-conflict environments.

Like thousands of Americans and Europeans scrambling to get to the United States before the travel ban went into effect and flights were canceled, I flew back to the United States from Vienna on Friday. Arriving at Dulles International Airport via London, I encountered a case study in how to spread a pandemic.

I had thought I was lucky to get one of the last seats home. And I was confident, because Dulles had been identified by the administration as one of the handful of U.S. airports equipped to test arriving passengers and admit or quarantine them accordingly, that I would find a rigorous protocol in place upon arrival. Obviously, the administration would not take such a momentous step without solid preparation.

I could not have been more wrong. Upon landing, I spent three hours in a jammed immigration hall trying to decide which analogy fit better: the ignorant Middle Ages during the plague years or the most chaotic airport in the least developed country.

The pictures you may have seen only begin to capture the chaos. There was no attempt to enable social distancing; we were packed closely together. Two giant queues of people — one for U.S. citizens and green-card holders and one for foreign nationals — wound their way through the cavernous hall. I counted and came up with approximately 450 people in each section, for a total of just under a thousand. Many were coughing, sneezing and looking unwell.

When I inched closer to the front, I could see that a scant six immigration desks were in service. Two additional desks to the left had less traffic. These are ordinarily for people in wheelchairs; now, the wheelchairs were mixed in with the rest. When I asked a security guard about the other lines, he told me they were for people with a confirmed corona diagnosis. There was no separation for this group — no plastic sheets, not even a bit of distance. When your line snaked to the left, you were inches away from the infected.

I recently flew to Qatar for a meeting. Immediately upon disembarking, passengers walked past a temperature measuring device to identify those with a fever, so they could be segregated out before entering public areas. Dulles had no such plan. Instead, after the agent examined your passport, he pointed a thermometer device at your forehead. By that time, you would have spent three hours in close contact with hundreds of other people. Even the way the lines were organized, snaking around, might have been designed to ensure that one sick person would expose the maximum number of others.

Some of the agents were asking people to use the fingerprint screen — all fingers, then the thumbs. Mine didn’t, but I watched the adjoining one and was astounded to see that the screen was not wiped, sprayed or in any way sanitized between individuals, or indeed at all during the hour I had it in my line of sight. My agent asked me how I felt (the true answer would have been upset by your colossal ineptitude) and if I had been to China or Italy. (I had not.)

That was it. No instruction to maintain a two-week self-quarantine. No phone number to call if I felt symptoms — standard in Europe for several weeks. After being immersed in our three-hour virus incubator, we were unleashed on the American public, free to mingle. This had to be going on all day and further into the night, as flights kept landing and the immigration hall kept filling with new passengers.

There was a better way. The travel ban should not have been announced until the airports were prepared. People should have been held on planes and disembarked in small groups, led past temperature-measuring devices and then admitted planeload by planeload, to reduce mingling. Dulles has two sets of buses to take people from plane to the terminal, for Washington arrivals and transit passengers. They could have been repurposed for U.S. citizens and foreign nationals. An immigration officer could have processed people while still on the bus.

Need I mention that a containment area for sick passengers might be advisable? Or telling people what to do if they feel sick? The day after I arrived, my doctor told me that tests were not available even for people with symptoms, and if I developed any, I should go to the hospital. If that’s not the official policy, that has not been communicated even to our doctors, let alone our citizens.

When he announced the travel ban, President Trump described it as an effort to keep out foreigners who might bring the virus to our shores. Instead, his actions caused an abrupt and dramatic influx of potentially infected people, with no attempt made to manage or control it. Dulles is a terrible, and terrifying, microcosm of a disaster magnified by incompetence.

• WTF 11
  • Thank You 2

7 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I needed to make a grocery run this morning, to pick up the sugar and cinnamon that I forgot to get on Friday night, some cranberry juice, and some cat food. The grocery shelves were the emptiest I have ever seen at my local Super Walmart. I had to go to the WinCo nearby to pick up the sugar, as Walmart was out. I think we've hit the zombie apocalypse.

This lady was on Dutch television, signing for deaf people not to hoard groceries. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

After all the consternation last Friday and a prominent Healthcare Professional Union publicly declaring that it would be better if all schools closed, the Cabinet was called in today for a special session, resulting in the decree that all schools, childcare facilities and the complete hotel and catering industry are to be closed for the next three weeks in my country.

• Upvote 12

Illinois governor just got real.  Ordered bars and restaurants closed fir two weeks.  (That’ll hurt for st Patrick’s day)

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Illinois governor just got real.  Ordered bars and restaurants closed fir two weeks.  (That’ll hurt for st Patrick’s day)

Ohio governor has done the same. Drive-through, carryout, and delivery can be open.

Hoping my son-in-law's restaurant (that does a lot of carryout business at any time) is OK and that my SIL doesn't lose income. They are a family of 4 with a child with autism and are financially strapped under normal circumstances.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5

@clueliss, my husband works in the trucking industry in Canada.  He is horrified that they are relaxing the limits.   It’s just not safe. In his words “well that was idiotic”. 

• I Agree 16

48 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

This lady was on Dutch television, signing for deaf people not to hoard groceries. :pb_lol:

And I just learned the Dutch for hoarding and I am so happy right now.

7 hours ago, Workingmom said:

OK this is a very stupid idea for several reasons. Mostly because it will disrupt the progress of the research, and therefore the progress of the vaccine. Moving labs and reestablishing yourself takes anywhere up to six months. Even moving labs across the hall disrupted us for a week, moving into the building next door took us out for three. (Hoods and incubators, man. Re-certifying the hoods was a pain.) My former workplace is undergoing a series of lab moves thanks to a structural review and while research continues in the margins where people can find space it is incredibly difficult.

6 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Just saw this too 

I think she makes some good points. Just because you can work from home and have a good internet connection doesn’t mean everyone does. 

Also not everyone can work from home. Some jobs are inherently tied to workplaces. You might be able to make billion dollar trades in your lounge room but you can't do heart surgery there (well, unless it's an emergency.)  This is actually the first role I've been in where working from home looks set to be an option - I'm not sure what I'm finding more novel, being able to do that or being able to wear open toed shoes.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Watching cnn waiting for pence and company to show up to a press conference. Wolf had a breaking news.  The Fed cut interest to zero.  (The moron in chief is likely happy now)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

6 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

And I just learned the Dutch for hoarding and I am so happy right now.

It is such an appropriate word and sign.

Like the English "to squirrel away."

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Hey fundies, your hero VP Pence just praised churches that stopped meeting 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

Someone somewhere on the board was struggling to cancel an air bnb.  If you know where that was/who that is be sure they see This.

• Thank You 5

41 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Hey fundies, your hero VP Pence just praised churches that stopped meeting 

But today's the National Day of Prayer!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-2-03-15-20-intl-hnk/h_2826fb1113d67d00d69b21c4a5f27f6e

you guessed it, 2 princess ships.  I believe in Brazil.  Under quarantine.  

Why are people continuing to get on those floating cesspools? Why are the cruise lines not shut down for now?

Just now, fraurosena said:

Sights?

You tell me Orange Shit Stain! You are supposed to be the boss

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

Our governor shut down all our schools tomorrow.  Up until now it was only my part of the state. 

• Upvote 8

I saw Pritzler in Illinois just ordered all bars and restaurants to shut down for the rest of the month after tomorrow.  I hope he's planning to help all the people who will be affected by this but with his background I kind of doubt it.  He might have a D behind his name but I just don't have a good impression of him. 

• Upvote 6

This article states that anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen may aggravate the coronavirus.  Take Tylenol instead.  (I know.  I prefer Advil or Aleve too but I've got Tylenol just in case.)

Spoiler

"French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

French patients have been forced to consult pharmacies since mid-January if they want to buy popular painkillers, including ibuprofen, paracetamol and aspirin, to be reminded of the risks.

Jean-Louis Montastruc, the head of pharmacology at Toulouse hospital, told RTL radio: “Anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of complications when there is a fever or infection.”

The French health ministry announced on Friday evening that the number of coronavirus case in the country had increased by 800 in 24 hours. Véran said there were 3,661 confirmed cases that had lead to 79 deaths. Of the sick, 154 people are in intensive care.

Véran said in his daily briefing that the evolution and spread of the virus was “rapid and real”, but that 98% of those who had tested positive had recovered."

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 4

I know we've talked about our concerns with schools closing, even though it is the right choice (supervision and feeding students). I've got another concern that is less mentioned.

I'm currently working as a substitute teacher, having moved to a different state this summer. For most of my career, I worked as a special area teacher, then a classroom teacher. Most years, I did interventions with a grade level of students who would start the year approaching the standard they needed to meet for that grade level, but with whole group and small group lessons from their teacher, and an additional intervention with me, they would make enough progress to test on grade level by testing time. I'm very concerned about students who do need more academic support- students who can and will be successful but without the support they will start falling further behind. I also wonder about next school year and teachers having the same accountability held over them for students who only attended three-quarters of a year. My local district is doing an online school. Students in grades 5 and up already have Chromebooks and they are making sure they check out the rest of the Chromebooks to students in the lower grades and are working on how to provide all students with internet of some sort. I know though that not all students will learn successfully through online learning. There's no way I could have picked up high school level math or science just by watching some online tutorials and then doing my work online. I'm extremely worried about our elementary school students, and what ramifications this schooling will have on them in their future.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, Xan said:

This article states that anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen may aggravate the coronavirus.  Take Tylenol instead.  (I know.  I prefer Advil or Aleve too but I've got Tylenol just in case.)

Hide contents

"French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

French patients have been forced to consult pharmacies since mid-January if they want to buy popular painkillers, including ibuprofen, paracetamol and aspirin, to be reminded of the risks.

Jean-Louis Montastruc, the head of pharmacology at Toulouse hospital, told RTL radio: “Anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of complications when there is a fever or infection.”

The French health ministry announced on Friday evening that the number of coronavirus case in the country had increased by 800 in 24 hours. Véran said there were 3,661 confirmed cases that had lead to 79 deaths. Of the sick, 154 people are in intensive care.

Véran said in his daily briefing that the evolution and spread of the virus was “rapid and real”, but that 98% of those who had tested positive had recovered."

Yikes. Tylenol doesn't do anything for me. Ibuprofen is the only thing that helps when I'm hurting or have a fever.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

Kansas picked up case 6 in Johnson County (suburban KC) possible community spread so their total is up to 9

and in Marshall MO they’ve cancelled school at least for tomorrow because someone was transported to Columbia with symptoms and a negative influenza so they’re waiting on a Covid19 test.  

I just realized I have a hair appointment next weekend that I’m thinking of canceling because it’s at Ulta and I’m. It sure I want to be a major retailers any more than I have to.  As it is I’m still working at the office (and helping to train my new boss on our ERP system)

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic