IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus: With Pence in Charge, We're Doomed

GreyhoundFan

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I liken this outbreak to the bird flu and swine flu. The media is known for making things sound much woorse than they are (seven cases in an area with four million people is not an epidemic). Things are disorganized now, but the public health response will improve with the influx of federal money about to happen. 

You know, I was of a like mind when this hit the news two weeks ago. I likened it to the hype around the Mexican flu. But looking at the facts here in my country and in other European countries, I have had to steer my view the other way quite a bit. This virus spreads incredibly fast. In one of my previous posts, I pointed out that in a mere twelve days, the number of cases in my country went from 1 to 382. Although our death rate is quite low at the moment at around the 1% point, the impact of having so many people get ill so fast (tens of new cases each day) means that the knock on effect in society is pretty big. This thing is not a media hype. 

It's not all about how many people die. It's not even all about how ill people are from it. It's mostly about so many people being sick all at the same time that will have the greatest impact. Will hospitals and healthcare centres be able to cope with the influx of so many patients?

As for the situation in America, I don't think any amount federal money injected into the public health system will create more beds for patients, more nurses or doctors. That money will go to test kits, and much needed medical supplies. But although that is important, it will not alleviate the pressure on the healthcare system in its ability to handle so many patients all at once. The average time it takes to get better from it is 12 - 14 days, which is a long time to be out of the running, and a long time to need care.

And no, not all patients will need that care. Most will probably be able to convalesce at home. Even so, the impact on a service based society will be great when so many employees can't come to work for almost two weeks. I read a firsthand account of one of the first patients in my country, in which he describes how ill he was with high fevers, terrible headaches, dizziness, awful chest pains and a wracking cough. He did not need to be hospitalised, and even if he hadn't needed to be isolated due to contagion, he was in no fit state to work at all for 11 days.

If you still believe this is just a media storm, think about the situation in Italy for a moment. The whole country is in lockdown because of the virus. That is 60.5 million people! In lockdown. Think about the impact that has on those people's lives. On the Italian economy. Would the Italian government really chose to do this because of a media hype? I don't think so.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

@SilverBeach I find perfectly honest to compare the COVID19 to the Spanish Flu. In 1918 there wasn't anything comparabile to what we define as ICU care nowadays and yet it's estimated that the Spanish Flu killed between 2 and 3% of the affected. COVID sends 20% of infected people to intensive or sub-intensive care,10-5% end up intubated for weeks and some even need ECMO. It means that had COVID happened in 1918 It would have killed 10-15% of those infected. 

These people are going to have good outcomes IF and ONLY IF the healthcare system keeps up. If it collapses and there won't be enough ICU beds for all those who need them, not a remote hypothesis since in Lombardy it's already fricking happening, doctors will have to choose which patients will have ICU level care and which ones will basically die.

Do you get it now? I am not being catastrophist I am being realist. I am not saying that you should panic I am saying that you should pressure your authorities into fricking doing something.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

So a teacher in the area found a way to get the kids in her classroom to wash hands longer/more often by starting a stamp challenge.  She puts a stamp on the back of their hand and if it is gone by the end of the day - she gives them a reward.  It has spread through the school now.

https://www.komu.com/news/local-teacher-finds-new-ways-to-fight-germs-in-the-classroom (video at the link)

Local teacher finds new ways to fight germs in the classroom

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 9:52:00 AM CDT in News

By: Skylar Webb, KOMU 8 Reporter

Share:

PreviousNext

HALLSVILLE - It's flu season and Mrs. Woods' third grade class at Hallsville Intermediate is getting creative to stop the spread of germs. 

Shauna Woods posted one of her ideas to her classroom's Facebook page last week and went viral. Her post got over 48,000 shares, 30,000 likes and 4,000 comments and continues to grow.

Woods said she's shocked by the traction her post has gotten and has used the classes' social media 'fame' as a teaching tool.

"I just told my third graders, at the end of the day, this should keep their cup full because we're helping even the nation now," Woods said. "Half the kids in the nation might have stamps on their hands now and that's been exciting for them."

The idea came to Woods while she was driving. Woods said she, like many teachers, is always thinking of ways to be creative and entice students to do the right thing.

James Oliver, a well-spoken third grader, said his favorite thing isn't the prize, but the satisfaction he gets from keeping the germs away.

"I love this idea and I really think other schools should do it as well," Oliver said.

But students like Lexi Wilson said there's several perks to this idea -- from being 'famous' to, of course, the candy.

On top of stamping her students' hands, Woods is enforcing other healthy habits in her classroom. The room is equipped with its own sink, hand sanitizers and anti-bacterial wipes.

Woods' idea has caught like wildfire with parents and among other teachers in her school.

"All the parents are very receptive and many of them are like 'I can't wait to see if the stamps are on their hand tonight,'" Woods said. "Many more in the school are now doing the 'stamp challenge' as they're calling it."

She said Hallsville Intermediate as a whole is always thinking of ways to increase cleanliness in the school during this time of year. She said the school's custodians have a deep-cleaning regimine set in place each night, in addition to what individual teachers do to keep each of their classrooms clean.

Hallsville sent an update from the school's nurses to all staff and parents of students the last week of February. The note encouraged parents to keep children home who were showing signs of sickness and detailed CDC guidelines. The update also said the district would continue communication and monitoring with the situation of both the flu and coronavirus.

View Story Comments

More News

And news this am that University of Missouri students attended an investigative journalism conference in New Orleans - a conference attendee has tested positive.  

Thanks - I now feel warranted in precautions

https://www.komu.com/news/ire-confirms-conference-attendee-has-tested-presumptive-positive-for-covid-19

• Upvote 11

Unlike the dipwads in the Big 12 (which will be holding it's BB conference in KC this week/weekend) - The Big West Tournament will be held without spectators (location - Long Beach, CA)

Iran had a hike of 958 new cases in one day

Spain has quarantine measures in place

ooh - IRS likely to push back April 15 tax deadline

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-11-20-intl-hnk/h_5941361ab758beee8d78bd8bba4ab7b3

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, mamallama said:

Good thinking.  I'll concentrate on stockpiling wine while all the others are chasing toilet paper.

I actually just ordered a bidet attachment for my toilet. I'd kind of wanted one anyway, and if it'll reduce the need for TP all the better. I also need to replace the flapper anyway so while I'm working on the toilet might as well install that at the same time.

15 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I haven't stockpiled, but now I'm wondering if I should 

Same. Right now I could dig through my cabinets and probably actually be fine for most of a week, but it'd not be fun. I am probably going to place a grocery order this evening sometime.  I don't plan to order tons of anything, but I need groceries anyway so might as well make sure I have enough for 2 weeks or so. 

Luckily my sister lives next door and is a couponer. If I'm desperate for anything chances are she has it in stock, and could get her husband to leave it on my porch for me. 

This is probably actually the best time there's ever been for people who need to self-quarantine for a couple weeks, in most of the Western world. Food delivery, grocery delivery, Amazon... nearly anything you could possibly need can be delivered to your doorstep without you having to interact with another person. In that way we are super lucky.

Edited by Alisamer
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 2

We've had a spike of 121 new cases in one day, and sadly, another death. That brings us up to 503 cases in thirteen days.

The European Union has reserved 25 billion euro (slightly more than 28.3 billion dollars)  for COVID19 measures.

These are the measures that have been taken by individual European countries so far:

Italy:
The whole country is in lockdown. There are extreme travel restrictions in place. Schools and museums have been closed. All public events have been cancelled. Streets are deserted. 

France:
Schools in six regions have been closed and social gatherings such as parties and events have been cancelled. Local markets have been cancelled over the weekend. In Paris all large concerts have been cancelled, the Louvre has decreased its visitor numbers and soccer games will be played without spectators.

Spain:
Schools have been closed in a number of Spanish regions, as well as in the capital city, Madrid. Flights to Italy have been cancelled and the Spanish government advises people to work from home as much as possible. Soccer games in the Spanish League will be played without spectators. 

Belgium:
The Belgian government has called for all indoor events with more than 1000 people to be cancelled. This measure is in effect until at least March 31. In Brussels all large concerts have been cancelled. 

Austria:
Since the beginning of this week Austria is banning all travellers from Italy from entering the country, unless they have a medical decree stating that they are healthy. All Austrians who are in Italy are being repatriated. All outside events with more than 500 people have been banned. More measures are pending, according to Chancellor Sebastian Kurz. 

Denmark:
All large events have been cancelled. All flights from the 'heaviest hit countries' such as China, Italy and South Korea have been blocked.

Switzerland:
Switzerland has closed nine small border crossings with Italy. Traffic can only cross the border along main routes. All events such as concerts, parties and sporting events with more than 1000 spectators have been cancelled. The government has advised not to travel during rush hours.

Greece:
All schools and universities in the country have been closed. The minister of Health has advised all residents to stay at home in case of flu-like symptoms. Sporting events and conferences have been been cancelled for the next two weeks. 

Poland:
All large events have been cancelled. A negative travel advice to Italy is in force. Starting next Monday all schools will be closed for two weeks, as well as universities, museums and cinemas.

Slovenia:
All large events with more than 1000 spectators have been cancelled. The border with Italy has been closed. 

Romania:
All large events have been cancelled. All schools will be closed until at least March 22. 

Croatia:
All travellers to Croatia from countries with high infection rates (Italy, China) will be put into two weeks preventative quarantine. Large events have been cancelled. People with flu-like symptoms have been advised to stay inside. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9

My daughter is in London and I'm wondering if any Free Jingerites have any updates on possible restrictions in the London area.

• Upvote 3

Chicago cancelling St Patrick's Day parade.  However as of this morning - KC totally plans on having theirs (and the Big 12 Tournament)  (KC  is 2 -  2.5 hours from me -I'm not amused.)

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

@fraurosena, forgive me for not knowing this (or maybe you've chosen not to say which I understand), but what country are you in?

If I remember correctly, she's in The Netherlands?

It's interesting to see the list of what each country is doing, and then compare it to this:

The USA: *shrug* We sent out a handful of test kits and are praying about it, I guess.

I got TWO emails today from companies detailing what they are doing to help combat spread of the virus. It seems there are no orders from the top, everything is left up to individuals and companies. Target is upping their cleaning schedule (every thirty minutes, the email said, for checkout areas and touchscreens) and limiting quantities of individual items to prevent people buying up the entire stock of toilet paper or hand sanitizer, so more people can actually get what they need. Many companies are encouraging working from home, and canceling unnecessary travel (my aunt frequently travels to India and hosts visitors from there - but her company is on a travel lockdown now to prevent spread of the virus). Music festivals are rescheduling, artists are canceling or postponing tours, etc.

But as of yet, there's not much real info coming down from the top, and with President tangerine pretending the novel coronavirus is no big deal, I suspect it'll get way worse before it gets better. Especially among the dupes who believe Trump and Limbaugh.

• Upvote 8

My company, with headquarters in Germany, just issued no travel, either domestic or international, is permitted. Also no in-person meetings across company locations, they must be virtual.  In-person meetings in a location are permitted however I am waiting for any report of a possible case in a location that people will refuse to come in.   Our location HR is already under pressure to issue the OK for everyone to work remotely.  

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 7

Chicago St. Pat's parade was just cancelled.  We are waiting to hear if a trade show we're scheduled for in April will be cancelled.  We got a notice from our insurance company about being proactive.  We've already given everyone hand sanitizer but they are having trouble sourcing more, also can't source masks atm.

We ordered signs for each bathroom regarding the 20 second hand washing and people will be able to work from home if anyone here is infected, but in manufacturing someone has to be here as management since of course operators can't work from home.

I hope the parent company will cease travel (we're owned by a European company) but it remains to be seen.  We get a lot of material from Australia, India, and Europe (as well as east Asia) and are watching that closely as it looks like we're going to have procurement problems.  

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, mamallama said:
Good thinking.  I'll concentrate on stockpiling wine while all the others are chasing toilet paper.

And if ‘murica joined the rest of civilized world in using bidets we wouldn’t need as much TP.

Also I just saw this site. 
https://washyourlyrics.com 

K. Some good possibilities there.  such as...

E675713E-9431-45BA-8944-E9F8F4F0F630.thumb.png.23d539cbd815c02364a799fca4c3f6dc.png

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

And if ‘murica joined the rest of civilized world in using bidets we wouldn’t need as much TP.

That thought crossed my mind.    I wonder how much TP we use because we typically* don't have bidets.

* I actually did encounter one in a US hotel.   Count me the confused American who didn't know how to use it :confused: . 

I was too embarrassed to ask.    

ETA:  A friend living in Japan has a high tech toilet that's a combination of toilet and bidet PLUS a heated seat.  I would love one of those. 

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ticklish said:

@fraurosena, forgive me for not knowing this (or maybe you've chosen not to say which I understand), but what country are you in?

Oh, it's no secret. I'm Dutch. 

This is meant to be funny, but actually it's the awful, scary truth.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Also I just saw this site. 
https://washyourlyrics.com 

K. Some good possibilities there.  such as...

E675713E-9431-45BA-8944-E9F8F4F0F630.thumb.png.23d539cbd815c02364a799fca4c3f6dc.png

A band I follow on Twitter posted this yesterday with lyrics from one of their songs. So now I'm singing "Airship Pirate" by Abney Park when washing my hands.

• Upvote 2

State universities here are looking at going to online classes by the end of the week. Otherwise I'm not aware of my state taking a lot of precautions beyond advising hand washing and quarantining yourself if you're sick. My workplace has said nothing beyond "we're monitoring the situation" which is less than helpful. I work from home anyway so am less concerned for myself, but unsure what they'll do about my coworkers who don't work from home. We're also required to attend some meetings (I was in for one yesterday) but I plan on putting my foot down for future ones till this has blown over. 

Our local school district is still taking a trip to Florida for spring break next week. I'm pretty livid about that. Sure, take a bunch of high schoolers to Disneyworld through major travel hubs and then they can start back to school with all their new germs to disperse through the community! Other districts in our area have canceled their similar planned trips, but not us ? I know that parents will take kids on trips over break, but it annoys me that the school system isn't attempting to prevent exposure and spread by cancelling this one for almost 200 kids. My husband is a teacher so he will absolutely be exposed if any of them were to pick it up (which seems likely). 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

State universities here are looking at going to online classes by the end of the week. Otherwise I'm not aware of my state taking a lot of precautions beyond advising hand washing and quarantining yourself if you're sick. My workplace has said nothing beyond "we're monitoring the situation" which is less than helpful. I work from home anyway so am less concerned for myself, but unsure what they'll do about my coworkers who don't work from home. We're also required to attend some meetings (I was in for one yesterday) but I plan on putting my foot down for future ones till this has blown over. 

My last job was work from home full time and it’s allowed sometimes at my current work as well. I’m in the hybrid program at my law school which is mostly online. All my coursework this time is online so I don’t have to go up but am planning to in order to take care of some other stuff. As of right now everything is on as scheduled.

The local schools here are also making plans in the event they have to switch to online models.
  • Upvote 5

It's officially a pandemic now.

Coronavirus confirmed as pandemic by World Health Organization

The coronavirus outbreak has been labelled a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO).

WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the number of cases outside China had increased 13-fold over the past two weeks. He said he was "deeply concerned" by "alarming levels of inaction" over the virus.

A pandemic is a disease that is spreading in multiple countries around the world at the same time.

However Dr Tedros said that calling the outbreak a pandemic did not mean the WHO was changing its advice about what countries should do. He called on governments to change the course of the outbreak by taking "urgent and aggressive action".

"Several countries have demonstrated that this virus can be suppressed and controlled," he said. "The challenge for many countries who are now dealing with large clusters or community transmission is not whether they can do the same - it's whether they will."

Governments had to "strike a fine balance between protecting health, minimising disruption and respecting human life".

"We're in this together to do the right things with calm and protect the citizens of the world. It's doable," he said.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 10

I'm gonna guess this is related to Kirkland, WA

CDC director says some coronavirus-related deaths have been found posthumously  

During the House Oversight Committee discussion on the novel coronavirus response, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said some deaths from coronavirus have been discovered posthumously.  

Rep. Harley Rouda asked CDC director Dr. Robert Redfield if it’s possible that some flu patients may have been misdiagnosed and actually had coronavirus.

"The standard practice is the first thing you do is test for influenza, so if they had influenza they would be positive," Redfield said.

Rouda then asked Redfield if they are doing posthumous testing.

Redfield said there has been "a surveillance system of deaths from pneumonia, that the CDC has; it’s not in every city, ever state, every hospital.”

Rouda followed up and asked, “So we could have some people in the United States dying for what appears to be influenza when in fact it could be the coronavirus?”

The doctor replied that “some cases have actually been diagnosed that way in the United States today.” 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

A representative from production just came into my office with concerns about a container of raw material we just received from China.  They're afraid to touch it.

It's raw copper and has been on the ship for the last 6-8 weeks.  I'm looking to find something official to see how long it can live on inanimate material, thought I would ask here to see if anyone has run across info on that?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

A representative from production just came into my office with concerns about a container of raw material we just received from China.  They're afraid to touch it.

It's raw copper and has been on the ship for the last 6-8 weeks.  I'm looking to find something official to see how long it can live on inanimate material, thought I would ask here to see if anyone has run across info on that?

Our news say 2-3 days maximum.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

Only in America. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 11

3 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Our news say 2-3 days maximum.

CDC is saying low risk of transmission from goods...other articles suspecting 9 days or so potential.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

CDC is saying low risk of transmission from goods...other articles suspecting 9 days or so potential.

It seems that can last 5 to 9 days only if the surface is smeared with body fluids or faeces.

• Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic