IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus: With Pence in Charge, We're Doomed

GreyhoundFan

16 minutes ago, clueliss said:

And did I hear that we have a second member of Congress self-isolating? (babble from CNBC on the way to work this morning but I didn't catch it all since it was raining during my commute and due to time change back to being dark)

Yep. Paul Gosar from Arizona.

Arizona congressman self-quarantines after coming in contact with coronavirus patient at CPAC

Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar said Sunday he is self-quarantining after he was informed that he and members of his staff had been in extended contact with the person at the Conservative Political Action Conference who later tested positive for the coronavirus.

“I am not currently experiencing any symptoms, nor is any member of my staff. However, in order to prevent any potential transmission, I will remain at my home in Arizona until the conclusion of the 14 day period following my interaction with this individual,” Gosar said in a statement.

Gosar said he was with the individual for "an extended period of time" and the two of them shook hands several times. Gosar said he has been in contact with the House physician.

He said he is closing his Washington office for this week "out of an abundance of caution."

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

17 hours ago, Ticklish said:

Friendly reminder amid all the handwashing reminders to also wipe down your phone sometimes. I'm ashamed to admit I forget that a lot, but I've been more diligent lately. 

I also use alcohol wipes on my debit card. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

I'm older than some of you, and I vividly recall when the AIDS crisis was emerging and the panic that many felt. Unless you were in a high-risk group, the panic was unwarranted. It may not seem like it, but this too shall pass. But another viral outbreak will happen in the future since viruses mutate and people cannot live in isolation.  Use common sense (hand washing is best), and keep your wits about you, there is more to fear from the regular flu at this point. 

I do think that government response, on all levels, is somewhat lacking. Communities should have a protocol for where symptomatic individuals can go to be tested, and that location should be publicized.  Testing should be available regardless of insurance status, similar to how testing for sexually transmitted diseases is free at public health clinics.  Public health agencies are kinda behind the eight ball right now, and I hope they step up their game. It would go a long way in allaying generalized fear. 

• Upvote 15

CNBC first thing this morning actually talked about this. And I'm old enough to remember why we have these stops in the system (Hi, I graduated from college the spring after the market crash of 87).  NYSE stopped trading for 15 minutes due to a 'circuit break'

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-09-20-intl-hnk/h_301013821ffc52e5ea177993e70d3b87

KY patient is a Walmart Employee

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-09-20-intl-hnk/h_32735baaf2d7fe4c9690a5118532fa85

Edited by clueliss
TN and KY are not the same
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

For those following along with the Jim Bakker is a jerk saga

And I'm seeing reports from KC tv stations (Via twitter) that KU Med admitted a coronavirus patient (no news on if it is the Johnson County case.

Spoiler

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I do think that government response, on all levels, is somewhat lacking. Communities should have a protocol for where symptomatic individuals can go to be tested, and that location should be publicized.  Testing should be available regardless of insurance status, similar to how testing for sexually transmitted diseases is free at public health clinics.  

This, this, this. I am sure I don't have the coronavirus. BUT... I was in Charleston SC last week (a port city - where lots of container ships from China and elsewhere dock) and starting Thursday I've felt a bit ill. No coughing, but run down, extremely fatigued, alternating between hot and cold (menopause or illness? Who knows?) and just not well.

I am sure it is not coronavirus. BUT.

I have no health insurance. I can't afford to not work (we have no sick leave, at all), and when I called in Thursday of last week I got yelled at and ordered to come in anyway (to do something that took 5 minutes...). If I got to a point where I was ill enough to need a doctor, I'd have to go to urgent care, and hope they'd see me. 

There needs to be a designated place for testing. The tests need to be available without insurance. This virus is going to continue spreading in the US because people don't have a place to get tested, can't afford to get medical care and can't afford to stay out of work long enough to self-quarantine.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Well that's an answer to the hand sanitizer issue  NY is having prison labor make hand sanitizer because it's cheaper than buying it.

From CNN

New York is making its own hand sanitizer using prison labor

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today that the state will attempt to combat "price gouging" and a shortage of hand sanitizer by making its own.

Cuomo said at a press conference that the hand sanitizer will be made by Corcraft, a company that operates in the state's prison. The company employs inmates to produce products like household cleaners and tables and chairs.

He said they are aiming to make "100,000 gallons" a week.

Cuomo said New York's hand sanitizer will be "75% alcohol" and added that the smell has a "floral bouquet."

He said the product will not be sold on the open market at this time. It will be made available in schools and prisons.

And Head of NY NJ Port Authority is positive

Head of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey tests positive for the coronavirus

Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has tested positive for the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a news conference today.

Cotton is under quarantine and will continue working from home, Cuomo said. 

His senior team will be tested and placed under quarantine, according to Cuomo. 

Cotton could have contracted the illness because he had been working around the airports, Cuomo said.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey oversees much of New York City's travel infrastructure, including some airports, tunnels, bridges and seaports.

• Upvote 6

KU Med hospitalization is the same Johnson County KS patient that was reported on Saturday.  KU Med is doing a press conference

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

So even though Trump said people should go to work, it appears members of his own party aren't following his advice. 

I wouldn't be so worried if it were the Obama administration dealing with this crisis.  But considering that Trump has removed so many administration personnel and replaced them with ignorant lackeys - yes, I'm definitely concerned. 

• Upvote 11

"Hundreds exposed to D.C. church rector with coronavirus urged to self-quarantine"

Spoiler

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

D.C. officials on Monday urged hundreds who attended Christ Church Georgetown on several recent days to self-quarantine because of their exposure to the Rev. Timothy Cole, the church rector who is the first known coronavirus patient in the District.

Cole tested positive for coronavirus Saturday and is hospitalized at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in stable condition.

Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) announced the self-quarantine recommendation at a news conference as local authorities try to contain the spread of the virus. It is the first broad self-quarantine order in the Washington region.

Bowser also said she is evaluating if she needs the power to impose quarantines by declaring a public health emergency. She said a decision is likely later today.

Anjali Talwalkar, senior deputy director for the community health administration at the D.C. Health Department, said there is “medium risk” for people who came within six feet of Cole on Feb. 24 and between Feb. 28 and March 3. Officials are recommending that those people self-quarantine for 14 days since the last time they were at the church.

“That is when our case was symptomatic, so anybody who was potentially exposed during that time, out of caution and best practices for disease control, that’s the recommendation,” Talwalkar said.

Cole oversaw services attended by 550 people on March 1, shook parishioners’ hands and provided Communion at the 11:15 services. Church officials said he appeared healthy that day and had been regularly washing his hands. But he had been ill in late February.

There was no immediate estimate of how many people came into close contact with him on the other targeted days.

The historic Episcopal church closed Sunday while the D.C. Health department launched an investigation into exposures. The agency notified the church at 10:47 p.m. Sunday that parishioners should self-quarantine, and the church sent an email to members an hour later.

Cole and his family are already under quarantine. A spokeswoman for the Georgetown hospital says he is isolated and staff are using personal protective equipment.

Cole had no recent international travel and first fell ill after returning from a Feb. 22 conference of Episcopal leaders in Louisville, Ky. Conference organizers say they are in touch with the CDC and public health authorities in the District and Kentucky.

The District’s second coronavirus case involved a man who was treated in Maryland, but developed symptoms in the city after traveling there from Nigeria.

School Without Walls, a selective public high school in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood, closed Monday after city officials determined that a staff member had close contact with that patient.

But officials said Monday that all three people who had close contact with the patient had tested negative for the virus.

Bowser said the school was being deep cleaned and would reopen Tuesday. “Even though our employee does not display any symptoms, I made a decision to [close the school] out of an abundance of caution,” Bowser said.

D.C. International School, a charter school in Northwest D.C., also closed Monday after officials said a staff member may have been exposed to the virus.

Bowser said she is exploring whether a public emergency declaration is warranted. That declaration would give the mayor the authority to impose quarantines. In the meantime, she said, people should take the self-quarantine message seriously.

“We don’t see it as a ‘nice to’, it’s a ‘must to,’ ” Bowser said. “If you’ve been exposed, you need to self quarantine, and we recognize that there will be hardships for many people not just in D.C., but in Maryland and Virginia. We know there were congregants not just from Washington, D.C. who attend Christ Church.”

Maryland officials have confirmed five coronavirus cases, while Virginia has reported two.

Authorities believe all the Virginia and Maryland patients contracted the virus while overseas. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has scheduled a 3:30 p.m. news conference to provide more information about the latest cases, both of which involve senior citizens who had limited interactions with the public since returning from abroad.

A person who attended the Conservative Political Action Conference at the National Harbor resort in Oxon Hill, Md., also has been diagnosed with the virus, and at least two members of Congress announced Sunday that they would self-quarantine because they had contact with him.

On Monday, Del. Matt Morgan (R-St. Mary’s) said in a statement that 12 members of the House Republican Caucus went to the conference to hear an address by President Trump. The infected person did not attend that part of the conference, the statement said.

“At this time, it is improbable that any member of the Maryland House Republican Caucus came within direct contact of the infected individual,” Morgan said. “However, our Caucus members will defer to guidance provided by the Maryland Department of Health.”

Since the coronavirus outbreak began in the Wuhan province of China, the virus has infected more than 109,000 people globally and has killed more than 3,700. Italy launched a plan Sunday to restrict the movement of 16 million people across northern regions of the country after a surge in cases.

Confirmed cases in the United States topped 500 Sunday, with fatalities rising to 21 after the deaths of two more residents of an infection-stricken nursing home in Washington state.

To curb the spread of the virus, authorities are urging people to regularly wash their hands, avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay home when ill. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, patients are thought to be the most contagious when they are the most symptomatic, but some spread may be possible before people are visibly sick.

• Upvote 6

So I just spoke with my daughter who is a resident of a small country in So America. She and her family get a daily text from the country’s Minister of Health with information about current active patient numbers, how to monitor for possible Infection and where to go for further testing and care. Meanwhile residents in the US pretty much remain in a factual information void from the leaders of our country and health departments. Do we even know if non-defective test kits are readily available to all who might need to be screened? Have all the residents quarantined on the now docked cruise ship been tested? Yes, I realize that most people, even those who get the virus, will ultimately be fine, but the lack of factual, consistent  information from our leaders is alarming. 

Did anyone see the interview with the daughter of a resident in the nursing home in Kirkland, WA? It was on CNN this morning, and the void of information from that facility and the health dept is frightening. This lady’s mom needs post surgical follow up care and it isn’t happening. Doctors are refusing to go in.

Later this week we are suppose to travel to So America to care for our GD while the parents attend a work conference in Brazil...so far no talk of cancellation. We shall see-

Oh and my husband says the Hopkins website went down this morning.

• Upvote 10

@SassyPants the workers of the nursing facility in Kirkland can't even get tested (as of news stories over the weekend).  They have 70 (of 180) exhibiting symptoms.  Only something like 3 (one of whom is hospitalized) has been tested.  

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2

1 minute ago, clueliss said:

@SassyPants the workers of the nursing facility in Kirkland can't even get tested (as of news stories over the weekend).  They have 70 (of 180) exhibiting symptoms.  Only something like 3 (one of whom is hospitalized) has been tested.  

The woman interviewed said the Nursing Home  has initially set up a hot line for families to get information, but it went down and the number was linked to the health dept ( maybe the workers were too sick to deal with the calls). Any how, the lady being interviewed said when she called the health dept, the representative had little information and could barely operate the phone lines.

• Upvote 6

We have a third member of congress in isolation.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-09-20-intl-hnk/h_ca9b2a02d193e6ae8ded60e17a72a060

3 members of US Congress are now self-quarantining

From CNN's Haley Byrd and Jeremy Herb

Rep. Doug Collins, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, became the third member of Congress to self-quarantine after coming into contact with an individual who has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus.

Collins announced the decision in a statement Monday afternoon, saying he was notified by the organizers of the annual Conservative Political Action Conference on Monday that they had found a photograph of Collins with the individual who tested positive for coronavirus. 

"While I feel completely healthy and I am not experiencing any symptoms, I have decided to self-quarantine eat my home for the remainder of the 14-day period out of an abundance of caution," Collins wrote.

Two aides to Collins will also self-quarantine, according to an aide familiar with the situation. The aides in question also interacted with the infected person at CPAC at the end of February, and are not experiencing any symptoms.

The Georgia Republican's decision comes after Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar announced over the weekend that they would self-quarantine after coming into contact with the same CPAC attendee.

President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and a number of other administration officials also attended the conference, but the American Conservative Union, which runs the event every year, said the infected attendee did not come into contact with the President or VP.

• Upvote 7

39 minutes ago, clueliss said:

but the American Conservative Union, which runs the event every year, said the infected attendee did not come into contact with the President or VP

The infected attendee may not have come in contact with Pence or Trump, but he apparently came in contact with a number of other attendees, any of whom might have then come in contact with Pence or Trump.  

• Upvote 12

1 minute ago, EmmieJ said:

The infected attendee may not have come in contact with Pence or Trump, but he apparently came in contact with a number of other attendees, any of whom might have then come in contact with Pence or Trump.  

In fact, direct contact isn't even necessary to become infected. A cough or sneeze will travel 6 foot before the virus can't infect anymore. If the attendee was in the vicinity of Trump or Pence and coughed or sneezed in their general direction, then there is a good chance that they got directly infected by the patient, without actually meeting them and shaking their hands.

• Upvote 8

I believe I read on twitter that one or two of the three (not Cruz) was in contact with Trump and perhaps rode on airforce one.  - and is it FOUR?  Looks like it - add Geotz

4 members of Congress -- including lawmaker who shook Trump's hand -- to self-quarantine after CPAC

CNN Wires

Posted 25 min ago

AUSTIN, TX - SEPTEMBER 28: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) answers a question from MSNBC's Chris Hays during a panel at The Texas Tribune Festival on September 28, 2019 in Austin, Texas. The festival held over a dozen panels and speaking events with democratic presidential candidates as well as prominent Texas republicans. (Photo by Sergio Flores/Getty Images)

Sergio Flores

(CNN) -- Two more members of Congress -- including one who recently shook President Donald Trump's hand and another who rode on Air Force One on Monday -- have announced that they would self-quarantine after coming into contact with an individual who has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference.

Rep. Doug Collins, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, and Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida are now the third and fourth congressmen to take the step, following the same announcements from Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona on Sunday.

Collins shook hands with Trump when the President visited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta last week. Gaetz rode on Air Force Once with the President on Monday.

Collins announced the decision in a statement Monday afternoon, saying he was notified by the organizers of the annual Conservative Political Action Conference Monday afternoon that they had found a photograph of Collins with the individual who tested positive for coronavirus.

"While I feel completely healthy and I am not experiencing any symptoms, I have decided to self-quarantine at my home for the remainder of the 14-day period out of an abundance of caution," Collins wrote.

Two aides to Collins will also self-quarantine, according to an aide familiar with the situation. The aides in question also interacted with the infected person at CPAC at the end of February, and are not experiencing any symptoms.

Gaetz announced his own self-quarantine in a string of tweets later Monday, stating, "While the Congressman is not experiencing symptoms, he received testing today and expects results soon."

"Under doctor's usual precautionary recommendations, he'll remain self-quarantined until the 14-day period expires this week," the tweet said.

President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and a number of other administration officials also attended the conference, but the American Conservative Union, which runs the event every year, said the infected attendee did not come into contact with the President or Pence.

This story has been updated with additional developments Monday.

The-CNN-Wire

™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.

And I think I'm seeing on the CNN feed that all of Italy is on lockdown.

All of Italy is now on lockdown

From CNN's Valentina Di Donato in Rome

The whole country of Italy is now on lockdown, Italy's Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced at a news conference on Monday. 

Conte said the measure was taken in order to protect citizens, especially the most fragile individuals. 

• Upvote 7

Holy Rufus!

:mindblowing:

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

11 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I'm amazed Trump hasn't self-quarantined already. At one of his properties, of course, where he'll lounge in luxury while watching TV, in between fast food deliveries and outings on the golf course. 

"What do you mean that's not what quarantine means?"

• Upvote 14

7 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm older than some of you, and I vividly recall when the AIDS crisis was emerging and the panic that many felt. Unless you were in a high-risk group, the panic was unwarranted. It may not seem like it, but this too shall pass. But another viral outbreak will happen in the future since viruses mutate and people cannot live in isolation.  Use common sense (hand washing is best), and keep your wits about you, there is more to fear from the regular flu at this point.

I appreciate your efforts to put things in perspective and calm us, but I'm a lot more worried about COVID-19 than the flu.  I (as well as many others) had a flu shot, which is likely to provide at least partial immunity, and the mortality rate from COVID-19 appears to be much higher than from the flu.  It's in my community now, following outbreaks nearby, and is currently being monitored by public health and the school system.  The federal response, if we want to call it that, appears to be sparse and chaotic, at best.  Right now I feel that they just don't care if thousands - or more - of older/medically vulnerable people die.  I also believe that a stronger response from the feds would encourage states and localities to be more preventive than reactive.  Communities, AFAIC, should be widely advised on useful precautions to take before people start showing with the illness, because by then it has likely spread.  I'm not saying panic, because doing so is useless, but I believe people should be actively concerned and made aware of steps to take to minimize exposure.  A lot of people, unfortunately, appear to be willingly oblivious and/or not too bright.  And it's an effort to break normal patterns of behavior.

I remember the anxiety surrounding AIDS.  I was in my mid-20s when the news of it started to actively spread.  Seems that not a lot of time went by before it became known that it wasn't transmitted by casual contact.  At-risk groups were still very afraid, and rightly so, but the general public was able to calm down.  Still some dentist fear, and the like, but just being among groups of people wasn't going to cause it.

I'm going to go out and take a walk today, because the weather is beautiful and I enjoy it, but I'm continuing to stay away from crowds and am not going into stores.  There's going to be at least a bit of risk, no matter what, but I'm still willing to go out - at least for now.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I remember H1N1 (Swine) but I got the vaccine for that.  I also remember my mother getting a 'swine flu' vaccine back in the mid to late 70s.  H1N1 is the one that they issued orders at work that if you had it, you couldn't return to work for X days.  If anyone in your house had it -you can't come to work for X days.  We knew that stuff up front.  I feel like we're flying blind with this one (and the country is led by a moron)

• Upvote 11

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic