IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus: With Pence in Charge, We're Doomed

GreyhoundFan

I love Katie Porter:

10 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

March Madness is cancelled.

Kind of figured it. Didn’t have a bracket this year even started.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3

Yeah mine will be pretty good too because mine never last that long. I keep putting Iowa in to go all the way.
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Now I'm sitting here wondering how one stays modest for full immersion baptism?  Kinda hard to hide the naughty bits when your clothing is soaking wet.

Baptist, here. We (my current church and my childhood church) do ours in a tank up behind the choir loft with access doors on either side on the second floor of the attached building, so the person isn't really fully visible except when getting in or out (not modesty, I think, just the way they are built in most Baptist churches. Generally speaking, the person wears a long white robe over their clothing for the Baptism, and after they climb out they go change clothes. There's so much fabric there's really not much to see. 

The pastor wears chest waders over his suit and under a long black robe. As long as they don't leak, he's good.

My boss had been joking around about the virus - last night he went out to a restaurant and wore a mask that he'd had a Norton Antivirus disk printed on. But today, he seemed subdued a bit, and made a point to tell everyone to keep washing their hands. 

I still haven't gotten groceries, but I have been careful to wash my hands after going anywhere. I'm hoping all these cancellations manage to slow the virus enough that the healthcare system can keep up. 

It seems like a horror movie come to life. 

• Upvote 9

Meanwhile I am sitting on a peak hour commuter train heading into work. Most schools here are still open, although that may close. We had an "update" yesterday which waffled but gave no new information. I suspect we will go to online work soon. There have been lines outside the hospital near where I work for people to be tested - Hong Kong is apparently using a courier system to drop off and collect tests while keeping people at home (they use a saliva based test). I suggested this to the person I know (an ex of one of my siblings) on the national task force, heh.

The Grand Prix is going ahead on the weekend, which is causing a lot of controversy given sporting codes are planning to play without crowds, and other major events are being cancelled.  The tiny organisation I volunteer with is trying to decide whether we should cancel/postpone our not-very-large event in May.

Edit to add: there are reports the Grand Prix has been cancelled, but it's still not official apparently. Confusion, as always, reigns.

I really don't understand why the testing is such as issue in the US - the PCR-based test should be very easily ramped up I would have thought. Here are the primer sequences, here are the protocols - you could expand to pretty much anywhere with a DNA extraction facility and a PCR machine. Ideally expand to medical testing facilities but honestly in a pinch you could use scientific labs too (you would need to ensure that protocols for cleaning and standardisation were in place). 

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Screenshot_20200312-174543_Twitter.jpg

So presumably they're using an ELISA based test then? I am going to have to go and read more.

• Upvote 1

Well we were just told we could work remote for a couple weeks. I’m taking em up on it.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham later issued a statement saying, "Both the President and Vice President had almost no interactions with the individual who tested positive and do not require being tested at this time."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

How COVID-19  Spreads

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

• Upvote 3

Hope you are doing OK. Sweden has around 700 cases now but in the area I live there has been only 8 confirmed cases and they are all contracted in other countries, mainly Italy. Stockholm is worse off with about half of all cases. On a personal level I am still more worried about over zealous principals closing schools and preschools as I don't know how I would handle two kids at home and working from home. My husband is a janitor and is likely to need to go to work unless he is sick so it would be me that needed to take care of them then. I do my best to keep my hands clean and follow guidelines. I got nasty looks at the store today when I sneezed but that was due to some flower pollen (I was by the flowers) but other people could not know I have allergies. We have had a battery of colds and stomach issues with the kids already so I hope we make it through without corona virus as an added bonus. I try not to worry too much and try to behave in a low risk manner while still not panicking. Panick is dangerous too and we want the country to get through this as easily as possible. Would schools shut down we could handle it but if we can keep from doing that I think that is better. I have not stockpiled anything really but I do try to have stuff in the fridge and pantry so that we can make it if we need to stay inside. 

I guess I try to go for positive thinking and not worry before I need to. Some people online are so scared of this and we should take it serious but when people start talking about Sweden is going to get higher numbers of death than China with a 10 million population it just gets riddiculous.

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

“I’m excited our president is traveling around and living his best presidential life the way he is supposed to — he’s meeting folks and not letting fear take over,” said Michele Fiore, a Las Vegas City Council member and mayor pro tem who plans to attend the conference. “We really believe it’s safe enough. . . . We are encouraging all our conventions and meetings to go on no matter how many thousands of people.”

Has anyone told Michele that she can't kill the virus by shooting it? She's the blonde in the middle.

image.png.1820586137d16dca5bb660a3c8c3cf90.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/12/07/whole-family-packs-heat-lawmakers-christmas-card/76920876/

• Upvote 5

Des Moines schools closed till April today, so hoping my local school district follows soon. They did cancel the trip to Disneyworld today so that is a relief. 

I tried to convince my mom to give me a list so I could go to the store for her and my dad, but she insisted on coming with me so I'm meeting her after work tomorrow at Sam's so she can use our membership. Hopefully the shelves aren't cleared by the time I get there. My sister said she'd order anything we can't find online and have it shipped to them. 

Is Katie Porter a potential VP running mate? She's awesome!

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

Des Moines schools closed till April today, so hoping my local school district follows soon. They did cancel the trip to Disneyworld today so that is a relief. 

I tried to convince my mom to give me a list so I could go to the store for her and my dad, but she insisted on coming with me so I'm meeting her after work tomorrow at Sam's so she can use our membership. Hopefully the shelves aren't cleared by the time I get there. My sister said she'd order anything we can't find online and have it shipped to them. 

Is Katie Porter a potential VP running mate? She's awesome!

I asked my parents what they needed and that I would order and have it delivered, but my octogenarian mom was “on her way to the store.” I can’t convince her to take this seriously. Today she was serving a lunch after a funeral at her church. WHY? Of course my parents are, you guessed it, Trumpsters.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

More closures: "Arlington National Cemetery, Smithsonian museums close because of coronavirus, as regional shutdown spreads"

Spoiler

BREAKING: Arlington National Cemetery and the Smithsonian museums are closing to help stem spread of coronavirus.

The military cemetery will close to visitors starting Friday. Funerals will be conducted as scheduled, but family members should contact 1-877- 907-8585 for more information on new arrival procedures or if they would like to reschedule a funeral. The cemetery will be open to family pass holders only for visitation from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., the cemetery said in a news release.

The Smithsonian said the National Zoo and all museums in the Washington area and New York City will temporarily close to the public starting Saturday.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Earlier version:

The state of Maryland closed public schools for two weeks starting Monday, and Gov. Larry Hogan canceled all gatherings of 250 people or more, including at churches and sporting events.

The measures were part of a string of sweeping actions taken across the region Thursday to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Using his emergency powers, Hogan (R) curtailed hospital visits, closed senior centers, suspended prison visits and ordered state employees who can work from home to do so.

The governor also activated the National Guard, closed the cruise ship terminal at the Port of Baltimore and shut down public access to state buildings – including the State House in Annapolis.

He and other officials said they are particularly concerned that one of the 13 coronavirus cases reported in the state over the last week — a person from Prince George’s County — appears to be a “community transmission.” That means the patient is not known to have been exposed to someone else with the virus.

“For Marylanders, the actions that I have announced here today will be disruptive to your everyday lives, and they may sound extreme, and they sound frightening,” Hogan said. “But they could be the difference in saving lives and in helping keep people safe.

It was not immediately clear how long the restrictions would last or whether they would impact Maryland’s April 28 presidential primary.

State officials said they were working on plans to provide childcare for essential workers, including health care workers. Day care centers will remain open for now, but the state is considering whether they must be shuttered too, officials said.

Hogan directed all Maryland hospitals to adopt new policies to limit the spread of COVID 19, including allowing only one adult visitor per patient and barring visitors under the age of 18 and those who recently traveled internationally.

“We are all in this together,” Hogan said. “We cannot stop the spread of this virus without each and every one of you doing our part.”

Hogan announced the state’s first three coronavirus cases March 5 and declared a state of emergency to speed the delivery of funding and other resources. Since then, eight more cases have been diagnosed — although the state’s official tally is 12, because one of those eight patients lives in Montana and has not been formally classified as a Maryland case.

Gov. Ralph Northam also declared a state of emergency Thursday, and canceled conferences and out-of-state travel for public employees, as the number of Virginia coronavirus cases rose to 15 .

In the District, which has reported 11 cases, Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a state of emergency on Wednesday.

Northam (D), a pediatrician by training, said the state is developing its own coronavirus tests, and urged public schools to make their own decisions on whether to close. Loudoun County Public Schools said its schools will be closed through next week.

Northam also criticized the federal government’s response to the outbreak, saying, “it has become clear to everyone that states .... need to take a greater leadership role.”

“We have new cases in Virginia just since I spoke to you all yesterday. And quite frankly, we’re getting mixed messages from the federal government,” said Northam, who did not elaborate. “We find that unacceptable, so I’m taking the lead on this.”

President Trump has charged Vice President Mike Pence with overseeing the administration’s response, but the effort has been undermined by contradictions and falsehoods — many of them coming from the president himself. Last week, Trump repeatedly spread false information about just how soon a coronavirus vaccine would be available.

In the nation’s capital, a growing sense of urgency took hold, as officials urged the public to take all possible precautions to limit the virus’s spread.

Tours of the White House and the Capitol Visitor Center were canceled until further notice, and restrictions were put in place in the House and Senate office buildings.

On Capitol Hill, officials said access to the U.S. Capitol, as well as House and Senate office buildings, will be shut off to tourists until April 1. Only staff members, the news media and those conducting official business will be able to enter.

“We are taking this temporary action out of concern for the health and safety of congressional employees as well as the public,” House Sergeant-at-Arms Paul D. Irving and Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Michael C. Stenger said in a statement. “We appreciate the understanding of those with planned visits interrupted by this necessary, but prudent, decision.”

Rail ridership dropped by 100,000 trips Wednesday compared with last week as companies encouraged telework, Metro board members were told Thursday.

The possibility of fewer passengers has the transit agency preparing to scale back service. Metro officials said Thursday they want to maintain full subway and bus service as long as possible but are preparing for the possibility that they would need to decrease service if too many employees call in sick or work from home.

A growing list of churches, entertainment venues, museums and conference centers have said they would curtail operations or shut down for days. The Smithsonian Institution said it is canceling public events and tours through May 3, although its museums and the National Zoo will stay open.

Arlington’s transit agency is deep-cleaning and sanitizing its buses daily, while libraries have removed “high-touch” items like shared toys.

In Maryland, Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks (D) said the county was entering a “new phase” in its response because of the resident who appears to have contracted the disease without any known travel history or contact with a known patient.

“We are concerned. We cannot trace at this moment where he was exposed,” Alsobrooks said.

The man, who is in his 60s, is hospitalized in “critical but stable” condition, said Alsobrooks spokesman John Erzen. In the days leading up to his diagnosis, he largely stayed at home, Alsobrooks said. The man came into contact with 12 firefighters over three occasions, including when he was transported to the hospital, officials said.

Virginia officials told House lawmakers in Richmond Thursday of five new cases in the state. Two of the cases are Fairfax County residents — one in his 60s, the other in his 20s — who had close contact with a woman who tested positive for the virus in North Carolina on March 9. Both men are in isolation at home, officials said.

A third person is from Arlington County and is associated with Christ Church in Georgetown, the house of worship where the rector, the organist and a parishioner from Loudoun County have contracted covid-19.

This person was already quarantined at home when they developed symptoms, and is in good condition, officials said. D.C. officials advised hundreds of people who were at the church on specific dates in late February and early March to stay home and monitor their health for a 14-day incubation perion.

No details were given about the other two Virginia cases reported Thursday.

Northam’s declaration has triggered Virginia’s anti-price gouging statutes, which are designed to protect consumers from paying exorbitant prices for necessary goods and services during an emergency, Attorney General Mark Herring (D) said.

“Virginia law offers protections for folks who find themselves in need of things like medicines, cleaning products, hand sanitizers and other necessities during a public health crisis,” Herring (D) said in a statement.

He said anyone witnessing price-gouging should report it to the attorney general’s office.

The D.C. attorney general’s office also said Thursday that residents should report price-gouging and be wary of scams, including charities purporting to collect money for coronavirus victims.

District law prevents overcharging for similar goods or services that were sold in the 90 days before the mayor’s emergency declaration.

Those who work in the District should also know their right to paid sick leave, the attorney general’s office said, as the city’s Sick and Safe Leave Act requires most employers to offer such benefits.

• Upvote 5

Regarding us lack of testing.  The issue is the cdc.  It managed to contaminate many of the original test kits.  Making them useless.  It took 3 weeks to correct the problem.  

they also refused to let independent And/or academic labs develop alternative methods and nobody brought the private labs into the equation until last week.  

the there is the cdc/fda not approving automatic testing.  

• Thank You 7

Oh hey, by the way for those of you shopping for bidets the address is hellotushy.com

It is not tushy dot com.  That address is most definitely NSFW.  I found that out the hard, so to speak, way this evening.

• Haha 16

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

octogenarian mom was “on her way to the store.” I can’t convince her to take this seriously.

My parents aren't Trumpsters but good grief. The struggle is real. As my brother put it, it's hard to keep them on the farm (they don't literally live on a farm). This week alone they went out to eat two times, to the movies, the YMCA to exercise, and to Costco to get a gift for a neighbor who isn't feeling well. That neighbor works at a hospital.  So I'm worried that neighbor has Coronavirus.  They are driving me nuts.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10

On 3/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

, with closed captions). He got an extra dark spray

Spring training was canceled as well. I was in Walmart today and it was crazy. My mom and I people watched and laughed. When we got in the car we were both like WTF. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Trudeaus wife tested positive, he’s in quarantine 

I thought they were waiting for the test results. In any case, I think it is responsible to show example.

I can give a portrait of the situation tonight in the Montreal area. We are at 13 or 14 positive cases, but way more awaiting testing and results. The day has been a roller-coaster to be honest. At noon, the Quebec government announced that restriction will be put on gatherings of more than 250 people. So of course, working in a museum, it meant for us to cancel conferences, the opening of our next exhibit and concerts (we have a concert hall attached to the museum). I also have received cancellations from tour organizers and such as the afternoon progressed.

Then as we were managing all that, more and more news of things shutting down: all of the city installations (like sport centres, libraries, etc.), and now since this evening most of the school boards (which includes elementary, high school, adult education, vocational schools, etc.).

So I truly don't know if the museum will stay open. It isn't the hike of the tourist season for now so it isn't too dramatic. But we did have school groups, and we are in the process of assembling a new exhibit. But I'm not complaining. I am not considered a high risk case, but my parents all are! So if we can flatten the curve to a maximum, go for it.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

@Vivi_music, I just saw Sophie tested positive on CBC.  Whatever you do, don’t read the comments.  People are disgusting. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

My parents aren't Trumpsters but good grief. The struggle is real. As my brother put it, it's hard to keep them on the farm (they don't literally live on a farm). This week alone they went out to eat two times, to the movies, the YMCA to exercise, and to Costco to get a gift for a neighbor who isn't feeling well. That neighbor works at a hospital.  So I'm worried that neighbor has Coronavirus.  They are driving me nuts.

So much this. My parents are both in their seventies and my mom on the phone today was scoffing at how this is going to work, be contained... I don't care how good their respiratory systems are, I want them to stay home and be safe. 

Montgomery county, PA (outside of Philadelphia) has been ordered shut down. Avoid nonessential travel; gyms, entertainment venues, and community centers have been ordered closed; all schools are closed; and only essential businesses and facilities should be open (gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, and doctor's office/hospitals are considered essential).

• Upvote 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic