IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus: With Pence in Charge, We're Doomed

GreyhoundFan

That isn't news re Fox - they've been calling it the flu and nothing to worry about for a week or more now.

The Big 12 and the SEC just cancelled tournament games entirely

Only sharing this one because of the snarkworthiness of Joel Osteen

Houston megachurch cancels public services this weekend

Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for SiriusXM

Public worship services at Lakewood Church in Houston have been canceled this weekend, according to a post late Wednesday night.

The services, hosted by Joel Osteen, will still be streamed on multiple platforms, according to the post. The public gatherings were canceled after Houston's mayor declared a public health emergency.

Lakewood hosts its services at the former Compaq Center, which hosted the NBA's Houston Rockets among other local teams until 2003. The arena holds approximately 16,000 people, a church spokesman told CNN last year.

• Upvote 10

Aha - I see what happened re Big 12 - KC declared state of emergency and all public gatherings over 1K are banned.

Also saw that Johnson County KS (suburban KC on the KS side has 3 more cases) (ty twitter)

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Emma said:

I am an X-ray tech. I have been getting regular updates from my company on covid19. This is what I am telling my family.

Wash your hands. A lot. Hand sanitizer is nice to keep in your car or purse for when you can’t get to soap and water, but soap and water are far superior.

Keep your distance, about six feet from other people. The germs in sneezes and coughs don't usually reach that far.

Avoid large crowds. If I had school age kids, I would probably be keeping them home. I am giving up church for Lent (ha ha!).

If you run out of disinfectant wipes: 1/3 cup of bleach to one gallon of water. (from cdc)

If you run out of tp... um, google “family cloth” I’m not going to try and explain that one myself.

Don't  panic. Be concerned, take precautions, get ready, but please don’t panic.

I have an elderly neighbor, we are promising to do wellness checks on each other. We still visit regularly but make sure we keep some distance and don’t touch.

I do mobile xrays, taking xrays of people who can’t get out, mostly nursing homes. Most nursing homes have already upped their infection control protocols (I have my temperature taken and fill out a questionnaire when I enter a home), some are banning visitors entirely.

Thanks for sharing those suggestions.  I am in northern California.  There have been a few reported Covid19 cases in surrounding counties but none (so far) in my county.  I am sure it's just a matter of time.  However, most people are taking precautions.  I am still going to work because I can't do my work from home.  There are only 3 people in my office and we have the occasional client that comes in.  So contact is limited in that respect.  I have been ordering my groceries online in the last couple of weeks and once I get them home, I wipe down all items with a paper towel sprayed with a  water/bleach solution, then I go wash my hands thoroughly.   One of my co-workers has an elderly mother in assisted living in another county - and they have cancelled all group activities and encouraging all inhabitants to self isolate.  Meals are delivered to their rooms.  They suggest no sending of packages to the inhabitants unless absolutely necessary.

I stopped going to my weekly bingo session a couple of weeks ago, and last night got a text that they have decided to shut down that session for the time being.

Our local health dept had an online session with local doctors and hospitals the other day - so they have put plans in place to deal with the outbreak and are being proactive.  It's clear we can't count on Trump's administration to do anything besides point fingers, but I am very grateful to the state and local governments who are doing their best to pick up the slack.

• Upvote 10

8 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

One of my co-workers has an elderly mother in assisted living in another county - and they have cancelled all group activities and encouraging all inhabitants to self isolate.

My son works in one of these places in Illinois and as of yesterday all visitors are banned.  Even family.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I heard from a relative this morning about a giant mega church to which she used to belong did a huge baptism for hundreds of people.  Full immersion in a tank.  They did warn them not to hug or shake hands, but using the same water was fine?  My relative must've used the word idiots ten times in telling me.

She was fundy-lite, but a nurse and firmly believes God gave us brains and science because he wants us to use both.  

Now I'm sitting here wondering how one stays modest for full immersion baptism?  Kinda hard to hide the naughty bits when your clothing is soaking wet.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

My school decided to go the full online route until April 3 so I’m not going up next week. I did manage to extract a promise from the dean that if commencement has to be rescheduled or cancelled that we would be welcome to participate in a future ceremony. I am not doing a graduation ceremony over fucking Skype.

I heard from a relative this morning about a giant mega church to which she used to belong did a huge baptism for hundreds of people.  Full immersion in a tank.  They did warn them not to hug or shake hands, but using the same water was fine?  My relative must've used the word idiots ten times in telling me.
She was fundy-lite, but a nurse and firmly believes God gave us brains and science because he wants us to use both.  
Now I'm sitting here wondering how one stays modest for full immersion baptism?  Kinda hard to hide the naughty bits when your clothing is soaking wet.

As I recall from a previous church back in my Catholic days that did partial immersive baptism the people changed in the rectory after getting dunked.

Mega Church Wet T-Shirt Contests.
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

image.png.4a159357632f83fcaa4ea3ce5630b00f.png

image.png.299c7e6e0ef8a21fbc7ea7274b314a2b.png

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 11

GIven the way the day has gone - this will probably get longer

A rush of news just happened. We'll catch you up on what's closed, canceled and postponed.

From CNN's Brian Stelter

The country's slow-motion coronavirus shutdown is speeding up. Companies and organizations are making new announcements almost every minute. These are just some of the announcements from the past few hours:

Broadway is going dark.

The PGA Tour is banning fans.

The NFL is cancelling its annual meeting.

Numerous basketball tournaments are canceled.

Major League Soccer's season has been suspended.

The��National Hockey League's season has been suspended.

This month's release of "A Quiet Place II" has been postponed.

The next "Fast and Furious" movie has been rescheduled for April 2021.

Some scripted television shows are pausing production. Additional talk shows are forgoing studio audiences.

The Montclair Film Festival is being rescheduled.

Jerry Seinfeld's comedy shows are being postponed.

Billy Joel's performances at Madison Square Garden are being delayed until the fall.

The Metropolitan Museum, Carnegie Hall and other New York museums are temporarily closing.

In Washington, The National Archives has canceled events through the beginning of March.

In Los Angeles, City Hall will close to all non-city hall employees.

Sunday's Democratic debate on CNN is being moved from Phoenix to Washington.

The Association of Tennis Professionals suspended the men's pro tour.

NASCAR will hold races without fans.

And within minutes of writing this post, the 2020 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Cleveland was postponed and Duke University suspended all athletic competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 12

I went with my husband and one of my sisters to Sam's club today. It was insanity. All the carts were gone and we had to walk the parking to find one. They had toilet paper and paper towels when we got there and my sister and I each got one pack because we actually did need toilet paper. But within a few minutes it was all gone. People had carts full of canned and dry foods along with toilet paper. One person had a buggy full of pickles and beer, I'm not sure what he is planning to do with that! We waited in line for 20 minutes to check out. 

In the middle of the shopping trip my husband says he is going to go get free samples. I informed him that the last thing you do during a pandemic is to eat the free samples that have been sitting out at Sam's Club. So he did not get any free samples and hopefully we didn't get any virus.  

• Upvote 12

Meanwhile here in Iowa I’m googling bidets.

https://hellotushy.com

With the amount of TP I’ve got at home which I bought well before the shit hit the fan I’ll have enough for a good long time.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, clueliss said:

GIven the way the day has gone - this will probably get longer

A rush of news just happened. We'll catch you up on what's closed, canceled and postponed.

From CNN's Brian Stelter

The country's slow-motion coronavirus shutdown is speeding up. Companies and organizations are making new announcements almost every minute. These are just some of the announcements from the past few hours:

Broadway is going dark.

The PGA Tour is banning fans.

The NFL is cancelling its annual meeting.

Numerous basketball tournaments are canceled.

Major League Soccer's season has been suspended.

The��National Hockey League's season has been suspended.

This month's release of "A Quiet Place II" has been postponed.

The next "Fast and Furious" movie has been rescheduled for April 2021.

Some scripted television shows are pausing production. Additional talk shows are forgoing studio audiences.

The Montclair Film Festival is being rescheduled.

Jerry Seinfeld's comedy shows are being postponed.

Billy Joel's performances at Madison Square Garden are being delayed until the fall.

The Metropolitan Museum, Carnegie Hall and other New York museums are temporarily closing.

In Washington, The National Archives has canceled events through the beginning of March.

In Los Angeles, City Hall will close to all non-city hall employees.

Sunday's Democratic debate on CNN is being moved from Phoenix to Washington.

The Association of Tennis Professionals suspended the men's pro tour.

NASCAR will hold races without fans.

And within minutes of writing this post, the 2020 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Cleveland was postponed and Duke University suspended all athletic competition.

Princess Cruises and Viking Cruises have suspended operations globally.

• Upvote 3

My school district officially closed for 2 weeks today.  They were hoping to wait until Monday.

• Upvote 5

So while he claims he's not worried - he's worried.  Which is what I figure.  

And for crying out loud - get us testing!

12 min ago

Trump is concerned about coming into contact with people infected with coronavirus, source says

From CNN's Jim Acosta

President Trump is telling people close to him that he is indeed concerned about coming into contact with people who have contracted coronavirus, including a Brazilian official who tested positive after coming face-to-face with him at Mar-a-Lago, a source close to the President said.

“He is very concerned about all the people he met who have it including the Brazilian,” the source said.

Earlier today in the Oval Office the President insisted he is not concerned about being exposed. 

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham later issued a statement saying, "Both the President and Vice President had almost no interactions with the individual who tested positive and do not require being tested at this time."

The source did not know whether the President has been tested or not. 

• Upvote 8

Add - No NCAA Men's/Women's Basketball Tourney this year.  (someone retweeted but I'll spare you the link because it is faux news)

• Thank You 3

March Madness is cancelled.

Kind of figured it. Didn’t have a bracket this year even started.

• Upvote 4

Lindsey Graham self isolates

Sen. Lindsey Graham becomes latest member of Congress to self-quarantine

From CNN's Matthew Hoye

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a close ally of President Trump, on Thursday became the latest member of Congress to announce that he is self-quarantining during the coronavirus outbreak.

As lawmakers on Capitol Hill grapple with how to contain the spread of coronavirus across the United States, nine members of Congress are now taking steps to either self-quarantine or otherwise isolate themselves as a precaution after coming into contact with an infected individual.

Five Republican lawmakers — Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas along with Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida, Doug Collins of Georgia, Paul Gosar of Arizona and Mark Meadows of North Carolina — are self-quarantining after interacting with an individual at the Conservative Political Action Conference who has tested positive for coronavirus.

Two Democrats are also taking precautionary measures. California Rep. Julia Brownley announced on Monday that she and her staff are now working remotely after finding out that she recently came into contact with someone who tested positive. On Tuesday, Virginia Rep. Don Beyer announced that he will self-quarantine after learning that a friend he interacted with recently tested positive. 

On Thursday, Republican Sen Rick Scott of Florida also announced he is self-quarantining.

And can one of our resident spreadsheet junkies do a tally of which members of congress are unable to do their jobs?  Because it's getting a bit difficult to track in my head now.

Edited by clueliss
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

March Madness is cancelled.

Kind of figured it. Didn’t have a bracket this year even started.

The fox article cited Duke and Kansas making statements.  Only the weird part about KU in that in the local news there was also sorts of strange waffling about well we mean that but you know not the NCAAs that's different but the same.  (which I translated to someone at the university is anguishing over lost $$$$$$$$$$$)

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic